Brianna Banks needs more minutes. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brianna Banks needs more minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And thus, Ozzie, you have the reason why so many people from others like ND, TN, Baylor, Stanford, L'ville, etc. keep coming here. They are all trying to steal our insight and inside information. Fortunately, we are all sharing in highly sensitive and complex codes.

Reaction Score
Geno talked today about getting more contributions from the non-starters:

"I think the thing you always want to get better at is what are the contributions going to be from your guys on the bench? I think it’s crucial that we don’t have two teams, that we don’t have five guys who are starters and play well together and are great and then a group that comes off the bench that struggles. I think we have to find a way to make sure that those four guys that are not starters are contributing and are productive. And not just for our team. We’re going to be OK. I just want them to get better. I’m interested in their improvement.’’

Banks struggled in the Duke game and hasn't played well since. She seems to have lost some confidence. I hope she takes advantage of her minutes.

Thanks for that Geno quote. Seems rather clear that he feels that they need to get better at , and find ways, to make the bench players more productive, and to facilitate their improvement. From his comments, I think that he seems very concerned that certain players are not progressing as he'd like them to. And that the coaches are not yet doing quite what's needed for those individuals. It is a special challenge that all coaching staffs have, and it's not the first time that Geno has made mention of it. Brianna does appear to have lost some confidence. I think it's a whole lot easier for a player to play loose when they know that they're going to get plenty of minutes no matter what, which was the case with Brianna when Kaleena and Morgan were out. How to get players to not press when they are more limited in minutes is the special challenge that coaches, and the players themselves, have. More minutes may help, but maybe not.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Close to my favorite internet picture. Maybe brothers. :cool:

baby-in-hat.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thanks for that Geno quote. Seems rather clear that he feels that they need to get better at , and find ways, to make the bench players more productive, and to facilitate their improvement. From his comments, I think that he seems very concerned that certain players are not progressing as he'd like them to. And that the coaches are not yet doing quite what's needed for those individuals. It is a special challenge that all coaching staffs have, and it's not the first time that Geno has made mention of it. Brianna does appear to have lost some confidence. I think it's a whole lot easier for a player to play loose when they know that they're going to get plenty of minutes no matter what, which was the case with Brianna when Kaleena and Morgan were out. How to get players to not press when they are more limited in minutes is the special challenge that coaches, and the players themselves, have. More minutes may help, but maybe not.
Not necessarily a negative comment but maybe a simple statement that at UCONN the development of every player is important to the staff, not just starters.

Reaction Score
Banks doesn't need more minutes, she needs to work on her game. She reminds me of Hayes, more often than not, she's OOC (out of control), and poor judgement.

Reaction Score
Banks doesn't need more minutes, she needs to work on her game. She reminds me of Hayes, more often than not, she's OOC (out of control), and poor judgement.

:rolleyes: If Tiffany Hayes was so out of control and had poor judgment, why was she essentially a four year starter with ample playing time?

I'm not worried about Banks. She hustles and works hard on the court. Considering that she missed most of last year, there is an adjustment period. I think she's made solid contributions so far this season.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily a negative comment but maybe a simple statement that at UCONN the development of every player is important to the staff, not just starters.

i expect that most programs are interested in the development of all of their players. nothing Geno says seems the least bit negative to me at all. admission of a need to get better at something certainly doesn't strike me as negative. rather, very positive and constructive . of course, anyone can read into something someone says in whatever way they feel most comfortable with, whether it's Geno , or another poster here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
i expect that most programs are interested in the development of all of their players. nothing Geno says seems the least bit negative to me at all. admission of a need to get better at something certainly doesn't strike me as negative. rather, very positive and constructive . of course, anyone can read into something someone says in whatever way they feel most comfortable with, whether it's Geno , or another poster here.
I would suppose most are but it never hurts to state it clearly that you are working hard to maximize the development of every player on the team. I am sure that there are people who think that elite programs only worry about the stars.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Her games needs to be more in touch with the players on the court. 15 to 18 minutes is probably good for her right now until her game and practices dictate more minutes. Post Baylor, Geno will be giving out minutes to get his team ready for March Madness. PLus, you cannot shoot air balls and missing chipy lay ups.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: If Tiffany Hayes was so out of control and had poor judgment, why was she essentially a four year starter with ample playing time?

I'm not worried about Banks. She hustles and works hard on the court. Considering that she missed most of last year, there is an adjustment period. I think she's made solid contributions so far this season.

We did not have a good roster during her class that is why she was a starter.
I'm sure Banks will eventually be a good contributor but I can't see her start as long as KML, Mojeff, and Hartley are around.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Banks will eventually be a good contributor but I can't see her start as long as KML, Mojeff, and Hartley are around.

So we didn't have a good roster during the 4 years Tiffany was at UConn? 2 national championship squads and 4 Final Fours sound good to me. :D

I never said Banks should start. I said that she plays hard and contributes, which is great considering her coming off of an injury.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You are kidding, right?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I don't agree that "Brianna looked like a lockdown defender before the injury". She has had problems with on-ball defense since her freshman year. You remember Geno's comment about her getting into a perfect, formidable-looking defensive stance, and then watching her man drive right past her. She simply doesn't seem to react and move her feet as quickly as you would think she could. When she has the ball and she's driving on somebody, she has a quick first step, but for some reason it doesn't work when she is on the defensive side.
Interesting- and I do remember Geno's comment- I may have just kind of assumed her defensive skills from her athleticism and intensity. U r probably right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom