Brianna Banks needs more minutes. | The Boneyard

Brianna Banks needs more minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Starting with the Maryland game, thru the UC Davis game , she averaged 23 minutes, mainly because of Kaleena and Morgan being out. But she played well during that period. Since then, she's averaging 17 minutes. She could be very important next year. She needs to continue developing. Recently Geno has expressed that he is somewhat "challenged" in getting players into the game. He likes combos that "work". Well, good luck with that Geno. Anyway, put those assistants to work, Geno, and get a minute here, a minute there, from anyone and everyone,and get Brianna the minutes she needs. Maybe Kiah needs more minutes , also, but I would really like to see them focus on getting Brianna back up to 22-23 minutes. She has worked so hard to get back, and was really looking like she'd turned the corner during those 8 games. I know Geno loves having Dolson and Hartley on the court as much as possible, but sems like they could do with a couple minutes less time each. Certainly in the blowouts, which, of course, most of the games are.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Who would you take the 6 minutes away from?

Do you really think Uconn is not trying to develop Banks? And next year, with four highly ranked guards, I don't see the pressing need.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its up to Brianna to earn her minutes. With how she's been playing lately, it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the Freshmen get ahead of her in the starting lineup for next year, if not Saniya. IMHO Banks doesn't provide enough outside shooting to get a starting Now if Brianna becomes a lock down defender, she might start.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
17 minutes is just about right for her. With Chong maybe getting 15 minutes. Both MoJeff and Bria need somewhere between 25 and 30 minutes so between the two say 54 minutes which leaves only 26 minutes of two guard play plus a few minutes from the wing position cutting into Tuck and KML designated minutes.
And 15-17 minutes per game is plenty of quality time to develop - if you can't get good learning time from those minutes you are probably getting too many minutes and should be cut back below 10. It really gets down to using the minutes you get productively. Stef, Stewie, Kiah, and Morgan basically have to split 80 minutes of playing time, Tuck, KML and guards split 40 minutes and the Bria, MoJeff, BB, and Chung split 80 minutes - that is all the playing time there is and if you count the last 4 minutes as garbage time, then you have to subtract 20 minutes from the above.
It is such a pain having 9 scholarship players - it was so much easier when they only had 7 available. :confused::rolleyes::cool:

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it was easier with seven, there were just less decisions. Any foul trouble up front with only seven and UConn would be hurting against the very best teams. The front court consisted of Stef, Stewie, and Kiah. If they went out with foul trouble, the next tallest player is 5'9". Hardly a substitute for the front court. It's better with nine, especially later in the season and on into the tournament. I've seen some tired Huskies already.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
It is tough to give all the players the moments they have earned with a nine player rotation. I love Little Mo and Lefty Banks together because they tip so many balls and cause havoc on defense. But Lefty is still hesitant about taking open shots and I'm not sure she's completely over last year's injury.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno talked today about getting more contributions from the non-starters:

"I think the thing you always want to get better at is what are the contributions going to be from your guys on the bench? I think it’s crucial that we don’t have two teams, that we don’t have five guys who are starters and play well together and are great and then a group that comes off the bench that struggles. I think we have to find a way to make sure that those four guys that are not starters are contributing and are productive. And not just for our team. We’re going to be OK. I just want them to get better. I’m interested in their improvement.’’

Banks struggled in the Duke game and hasn't played well since. She seems to have lost some confidence. I hope she takes advantage of her minutes.

Reaction Score
Its up to Brianna to earn her minutes. With how she's been playing lately, it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the Freshmen get ahead of her in the starting lineup for next year, if not Saniya. IMHO Banks doesn't provide enough outside shooting to get a starting Now if Brianna becomes a lock down defender, she might start.

look at her shooting stats.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I stood down at the end of the court at the UCF game, when they were doing warmups. I remember noticing that Banks took five consecutive threes, form more than one spot and drained every one of them. I know one expects a higher percentage in practice than when defended, but I'd like to see her take a few more in the game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Do y'all really, really presume to instruct the best coach, by far, past or present, in wcbb, and one of the absolute top minds in basketball, male or female, amateur or pro, on how to apportion the playing time for his players, whom he sees every day in practice and knows far, far better than any of us do? Really? What are your credentials to offer this kind of instruction? Do you have no sense at all of whom you are presuming to instruct? Or just how presumptuous is your presuming? The mind just absolutely wobbles!

Reaction Score
I stood down at the end of the court at the UCF game, when they were doing warmups. I remember noticing that Banks took five consecutive threes, form more than one spot and drained every one of them. I know one expects a higher percentage in practice than when defended, but I'd like to see her take a few more in the game.
I don't really see her looking for shots lately.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Geno/staff may be trying to limit minutes for BB a bit so possibly an injury to a tired knee may be averted to be sure he has a healthy player in March April when we really need her. She was beginning to develop that three a bit last year. She has been a bit hesitant to take the three, but unless she really has a very open shot, she is possibly not even the 4th option on offense. She looks agile and aggressive. It's Tuck we need to get in the flow again. She showed some good signs against Memphis.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It is still far too easy for an opponent to go by her on the drive. Given her speed and athleticism, that is one thing that she absolutely should be able to stop, just as Kalana Greene could (seemingly a very similar player). If she can fix that, she can earn more minutes before the game is decided.

Perish the thought, but imagine that Moriah and Bria both foul out next Monday, and the game is tied with a few minutes left. If you were Geno, would you have Brianna or Saniya guard Odyssey Sims? I would choose Saniya, even though she is a freshman -- and that should not be the case.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
It is still far too easy for an opponent to go by her on the drive. Given her speed and athleticism, that is one thing that she absolutely should be able to stop, just as Kalana Greene could (seemingly a very similar player). If she can fix that, she can earn more minutes before the game is decided.

Perish the thought, but imagine that Moriah and Bria both foul out next Monday, and the game is tied with a few minutes left. If you were Geno, would you have Brianna or Saniya guard Odyssey Sims? I would choose Saniya, even though she is a freshman -- and that should not be the case.
Great observation Joe- and Briana looked like a lock down defender before the injury. She reminded me of Kalana- only quicker, with her smaller frame.if Kalana doesn't go down, we beat Stamford in semis that year. Mel going down hurt a lot , but Kalana going down was a dagger.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't agree that "Brianna looked like a lockdown defender before the injury". She has had problems with on-ball defense since her freshman year. You remember Geno's comment about her getting into a perfect, formidable-looking defensive stance, and then watching her man drive right past her. She simply doesn't seem to react and move her feet as quickly as you would think she could. When she has the ball and she's driving on somebody, she has a quick first step, but for some reason it doesn't work when she is on the defensive side.

Reaction Score
Starting with the Maryland game, thru the UC Davis game , she averaged 23 minutes, mainly because of Kaleena and Morgan being out. But she played well during that period. Since then, she's averaging 17 minutes. She could be very important next year. She needs to continue developing. Recently Geno has expressed that he is somewhat "challenged" in getting players into the game. He likes combos that "work". Well, good luck with that Geno. Anyway, put those assistants to work, Geno, and get a minute here, a minute there, from anyone and everyone,and get Brianna the minutes she needs. Maybe Kiah needs more minutes , also, but I would really like to see them focus on getting Brianna back up to 22-23 minutes. She has worked so hard to get back, and was really looking like she'd turned the corner during those 8 games. I know Geno loves having Dolson and Hartley on the court as much as possible, but sems like they could do with a couple minutes less time each. Certainly in the blowouts, which, of course, most of the games are.
Breanna Stewart needs less minutes...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"We have to find a way to make sure that those four guys that are not starters are contributing and are productive," Auriemma said. "And not just for our team. We're going to be OK. I just want them to get better. I'm interested in their improvement."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't really see her looking for shots lately.
I've noticed that too. I'd like to see her drive toward the basket more. But that takes confidence.

Reaction Score
Do y'all really, really presume to instruct the best coach, by far, past or present, in wcbb, and one of the absolute top minds in basketball, male or female, amateur or pro, on how to apportion the playing time for his players, whom he sees every day in practice and knows far, far better than any of us do? Really? What are your credentials to offer this kind of instruction? Do you have no sense at all of whom you are presuming to instruct? Or just how presumptuous is your presuming? The mind just absolutely wobbles!
In the internet world, we're all capable of being the best coach ever... but all of us spend so much time correcting the internet we lose focus.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Maybe Geno needs fewer minutes coaching each game....are you stepping up to replace him?

Reaction Score
Geno/staff may be trying to limit minutes for BB a bit so possibly an injury to a tired knee may be averted to be sure he has a healthy player in March April when we really need her. She was beginning to develop that three a bit last year. She has been a bit hesitant to take the three, but unless she really has a very open shot, she is possibly not even the 4th option on offense. She looks agile and aggressive. It's Tuck we need to get in the flow again. She showed some good signs against Memphis.

they may very well be taking it easy on that knee. thanks for that thoughtful response.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

You have to admit that the knowledge base of more than a few BoneYarders, indeed, when coupled with equally outstanding and impressive basketball wisdom and sharply focused acumen, far exceeds that of almost any coach…including Geno You’d think he would know how to distribute minutes, but apparently he is clueless, or at least confused about the allocation of playing time. Go figure…I assumed coaches thought about this kind of stuff.

Good that Geno reads The BoneYard. Other coaches should do so also. Smart cookies will be seen, read, and found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom