Breanna and Napheesa launching Unrivaled | The Boneyard

Breanna and Napheesa launching Unrivaled

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m linking to a new social media site called Threads. Phooey on Twitter, all the cool kids are on Threads :cool:

on edit, our software doesn’t know Threads yet. Screenshot below

DD2E2694-A916-4D51-9211-311D3A97E47A.jpeg

Reaction Score
Some news coverage:

Reaction Score
I wish them well on this venture, but I just don't see a market for it. Seems too much like a pick-up game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Threads and that new league are both heading for the same place.

plane crash GIF

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Threads, a Mark Zuckerberg product. Hmm, I guess I won't be one of the cool kids, again. :(:rolleyes:

I too wonder where the money is coming from. Will each 5 person team have an owner or investor(s) who will be reasonable for the salaries? I read an article on this venture earlier today and there wasn't any info on the subject.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
3X3 was introduced in the 2020 Olympics & will return in the 2024 Olympics.

According to a study commissioned by the IOC, 3x3 is the largest urban team sport in the world. This basketball game format is currently being promoted and structured by FIBA, the sport's governing body.

I give them credit for trying to create a wave.
As a commercial venture, if they can make any money off it then it will have been a success.

Reaction Score
Pretty awesome. Good for them. 3x3 basketball is a hot ticket right now and growing each year. I am always amazed at how few people play 3x3 basketball or understand FIBA's 3x3 basketball or even watch 3x3 basketball. For Breanna and Phee to join forces and look into developing something like this, they get all of my respect and support.

Reaction Score
collier's husband is big in the NBA world -- i imagine there will be some player investors -- and one of the articles mentioned some companies already lined up.

Reaction Score
You want $$ you need TV. The live gate isn't going to cut it. What network will this be on? ESPN Ocho? Then again after thinking about all the nonsense sports that get airtime, maybe this will work.

Reaction Score
I share everyone else’s curiosity in how the money will be made and distributed. Part of the allure of going overseas is making 6+ figures. Still, I hope it’s successful and an avenue for WNBA players to stay closer to home during the off-season while still playing!

As for Threads…another Meta social media site? Yikes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You want $$ you need TV. The live gate isn't going to cut it. What network will this be on? ESPN Ocho? Then again after thinking about all the nonsense sports that get airtime, maybe this will work.
I would rather watch Breanna and Phee in 3-on-3 than the World Cornhole Championship

Reaction Score
I share everyone else’s curiosity in how the money will be made and distributed. Part of the allure of going overseas is making 6+ figures. Still, I hope it’s successful and an avenue for WNBA players to stay closer to home during the off-season while still playing!

As for Threads…another Meta social media site? Yikes.
The reason they are doing this is because prioritization rules in the WNBA are taking away a lot of players ability to play overseas next season. The only option in the the US doesn't pay players enough to make up for it. Hopefully they are able to lock down the sponsors and media deals to lock this in, because I think it could be a great idea.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if they are working with Red Bull? They (Red Bull) are big supporters of 3X3 basketball and I think Stewie was a Red Bull athlete at one point. Red Bull 3X

Reaction Score
OUTSIDE THE USUAL BOX

Teams should consider being based in "mid-major" markets instead of big cities. Places with proven wbb attendance and no/few competing pro sports teams: Connecticut (Hartford/NH), South Carolina (Greenville), Louisville, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee etc. that are proven markets for WBB. Teams should have 3/4 players who played high school or wbb in or near the state. Maybe a NC team featuring all NC related players fro UNC, Duke, NC State and Wake

Each team should plan home/home games - but not too many. Don't give the home crowds a chance to get bored with too many home games. Take the show on the road occasionally to the big markets but make them special events.

Focus teams toward "mid major TV markets"

If you get good crowds, TV will follow

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe they can piggyback onto NBA games somehow?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
OUTSIDE THE USUAL BOX

Teams should consider being based in "mid-major" markets instead of big cities. Places with proven wbb attendance and no/few competing pro sports teams: Connecticut (Hartford/NH), South Carolina (Greenville), Louisville, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee etc. that are proven markets for WBB. Teams should have 3/4 players who played high school or wbb in or near the state. Maybe a NC team featuring all NC related players fro UNC, Duke, NC State and Wake

Each team should plan home/home games - but not too many. Don't give the home crowds a chance to get bored with too many home games. Take the show on the road occasionally to the big markets but make them special events.

Focus teams toward "mid major TV markets"

If you get good crowds, TV will follow
Isn't the current plan to have all games played on a virtual court in Miami? I thought I read that in the ESPN story.
I am guessing that this will avoid travel costs...

Reaction Score
Okay, where is the money and how will people see these games? A niche of a niche. Nope.
I'm with you, RockyMtblue2. Sorry to say, the 'Unrivaled' title reminds me how full of themselves so many pro athletes can be... could be even former UConn greats aren't exempt from that air?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm with you, RockyMtblue2. Sorry to say, the 'Unrivaled' title reminds me how full of themselves so many pro athletes can be... could be even former UConn greats aren't exempt from that air?
Sometimes a tie is just a tie

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's Google+ 2.0

Twitter is what Twitter always was, minus a new bizarre obsession with the guy who owns it.

Nature abhors a vacuum, and Musk sucks. Twitter isn't going away anytime soon, but recent changes at Twitter have created an opportunity at least one billionaire wants to fill, and is in a position to do so.

Think MySpace. The only question is how much money does Musk want to pump into Twitter.

Competition is good, and Musk is making it easier.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom