OT: - Brady doesn't understand how roasts work | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Brady doesn't understand how roasts work

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Also, the whole premise of this thread is odd. Brady handled everything in a way that indicates he definitely understands roasts.

That comment was based on the fact that he got mad at Ross' joke about Robert Kraft, which was fairly tame compared to most roast jokes.

Reaction Score
A lot of the “humor” was so low class. If you want to see the art of funny with great innuendo watch the old dean martin roasts. Best joke of the night was the Gronk crypto joke “even me know crypto not real money”.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A lot of the “humor” was so low class. If you want to see the art of funny with great innuendo watch the old dean martin roasts.
Those old roasts don't hold up as well as you remember.

Reaction Score
They were funny but only a few of the guys were super funny. Don Rickles was really, really good. There’s a lot of latitude given on reviews of those old roasts because it’s kind of surreal to be watching Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra up there. They are legendary figures and there’s an element of nostalgia that’s undeniable.

I found the Brady roast very funny. It was absolutely crude, but that’s part of the act. Nikki Glasser prides herself on making you uncomfortable, that’s just part of the method she uses. There’s other comics, like Nate Bargatze, that are totally clean. That doesn’t make him better, it’s just a style. I don’t think he’d be nearly as funny if he did a crude act. Different personalities and styles. I guarantee you, they find each other funny, but they understand the craft.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
That comment was based on the fact that he got mad at Ross' joke about Robert Kraft, which was fairly tame compared to most roast jokes.

Right. But given he didn’t do that about anything else, there’s obviously another angle, whatever that may be, that isn’t “he just doesn’t get the concept.”

I’d say everything points to “he gets the idea of how roasts work”

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
They were funny but only a few of the guys were super funny. Don Rickles was really, really good. There’s a lot of latitude given on reviews of those old roasts because it’s kind of surreal to be watching Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra up there. They are legendary figures and there’s an element of nostalgia that’s undeniable.

I found the Brady roast very funny. It was absolutely crude, but that’s part of the act. Nikki Glasser prides herself on making you uncomfortable, that’s just part of the method she uses. There’s other comics, like Nate Bargatze, that are totally clean. That doesn’t make him better, it’s just a style. I don’t think he’d be nearly as funny if he did a crude act. Different personalities and styles. I guarantee you, they find each other funny but they understand the craft.
Me and wifey love Bargatze, she started watching him on IG and feels she was an early adopter.

I find Nikki very funny too.

Reaction Score
I'll still take Don Rickles and Redd Foxx roasting their buddies over a bunch of hack stand ups who had their jokes written for them roasting someone they don't know.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll still take Don Rickles and Redd Foxx roasting their buddies over a bunch of hack stand ups who had their jokes written for them roasting someone they don't know.
You don't think thay had joke writers back then?

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes the old roasts were funnier, Lebron couldn’t play in the 80s, and these damn kids have it so easy these days.
LeBron definitely could've played in the 80s

Reaction Score
Brady is such a diva. never liked him.

as far as the roast, loved Nikki Glaser's meathead jokes at Gronkowski.

Reaction Score
The issue was that Tom Brady had the Production team tell all the Comedians that jokes jokes about Robert Kraft were off the table while everything else was fair game, even the Family.

One one of the Comedians on stage has now spoken about the ordeal. When Ross stepped out of bounds it paissed Tom off.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The issue was that Tom Brady had the Production team tell all the Comedians that jokes jokes about Robert Kraft were off the table while everything else was fair game, even the Family.

One one of the Comedians on stage has now spoken about the ordeal. When Ross stepped out of bounds it paissed Tom off.

That's the point: it's a roast, there's no such thing as "off the table."

Reaction Score
If Tom was really more interested in protecting Kraft from jokes about a verified handi incident than Giselle (his kid’s mom) about an unverified affair, that’s just wrong.

Reaction Score
I found this interesting. And Mike Lawrence helping write for the celebrities was a good pick, he’s a beast.

Reaction Score
That's the point: it's a roast, there's no such thing as "off the table."
Lol, I'm not a Brady apologist. My point is that they paid Ross to tell jokes with exception to that one condition. Kraft was a guest in the building on behalf of Tom, so I suppose He felt a certain way about that.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Lol, I'm not a Brady apologist. My point is that they paid Ross to tell jokes with exception to that one condition. Kraft was a guest in the building on behalf of Tom, so I suppose He felt a certain way about that.

So Brady negotiated an exemption for Kraft jokes, but Brady's wife and kids were fair targets as far as Brady was concerned.

That says a lot more about Brady than Ross.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Again, that's not how roasts work.

Reaction Score
I saw Jeselnik say that this was live and in a taped roast they would have just edited the Kraft joke out and that Ross ALWAYS says the joke he’s not supposed to say knowing if they want they can cut it.

Reaction Score
So Brady negotiated an exemption for Kraft jokes, but Brady's wife and kids were fair targets as far as Brady was concerned.

That says a lot more about Brady than Ross.
One second, let me call Tom....

I think you're playing stupid.

Obviously Tom was game and his family is an extention of Him. The Kraft thing is a seedy situation. Tom didn't pickup my call, but i'm guessing He didn't want Kraft embarrassed about a potential human trafficking joke.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It was only a matter of time before this became toxic. As a culture there is no way these can happen anymore. There are to many people living in our country who will take anything and make it an issue. Frankly, I am amazed they even decided to do it. But the potential $$$ was just something that could not be looked past by an industry that needs to reinvent itself. I read somewhere that the roast was one of the highest viewed shows in the history of Netflix.

So 50% tuned in to be entertained and 50% tuned in to mine the content for comments that they could turn into some unbelievably inappropriate behavior and get some clicks on social media platforms.

They found it and now Brady is saying he wished he would not have even done the roast. So that took two weeks but the fallout will continue for the foreseeable future. And to quote Warren Zevon, now its time for the guns and lawyers since the money has already been sent,

The next chapter will be the lawsuits that are brought by all the people that were either directly or indirectly impacted by the jokes. That money that was made has to be shared……….

Reaction Score
If Tom was really more interested in protecting Kraft from jokes about a verified handi incident than Giselle (his kid’s mom) about an unverified affair, that’s just wrong.

Listen man, I did Jiu-Jitsu for quite some time. It's an inherently erotic sport. I triangle joke my wife regularly because it's hilarious. If my coach didn't smell like liqour and week-old body odor ever time we rolled, I probably would have been seduced too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom