Big Ten football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Ten football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My point, as stated, was that Wisconsin had played in the CCG previously (3rd time in 4 years). They had a HC the entire season, they knew the Buckeyes well, and many of their players had played in the game previously. I therefore reject your argument that the coaching situation made any significant dent in the score. The Buckeye's whooped em.

And none of this matters in determining the value of their resume. The selection committee isn't going to parse nonsense like that; they're going to look at Wisconsin's record to that point, and a 59-0 drubbing is going to hold a lot of value.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And none of this matters in determining the value of their resume. The selection committee isn't going to parse nonsense like that; they're going to look at Wisconsin's record to that point, and a 59-0 drubbing is going to hold a lot of value.

The sole reason TCU and Baylor got jumped was because, they're names are TCU and Baylor.

The true test of the selection committee will be if the Big12 school in question of being jumped/bumped is Oklahoma or Texas.

The selection committee has also said between the lines that the onus is not on them to break a tie for conference champion. A championship game matters. 13 games matter. Just stating that the Big XII didn't get a rep in the CFP because of "TCU" and "Baylor" is a cop out. It's part of the story, but all of it. Obviously, the selection committee wants compelling match-ups, but that also includes underdogs with a chance to win ball games.

I would not be the least bit surprised the Big XII is shut out again this year and it forces their hand.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You are right. Head Coaches don't matter. I am surprised more teams don't cut costs and let the players just coach themselves.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You are right. Head Coaches don't matter. I am surprised more teams don't cut costs and let the players just coach themselves.

You are an idiot.

Reaction Score

Since you admitted to SDH last week that you do put words in other people's mouths, how about if you stop? I'm on your side in this debate, but it's absurd to pretend that him saying that a coach leaving in December has little effect is the same as saying that a head coach leaving earlier in the year, or never having been there, has little effect.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Since you admitted to SDH last week that you do put words in other people's mouths, how about if you stop? I'm on your side in this debate, but it's absurd to pretend that him saying that a coach leaving in December has little effect is the same as saying that a head coach leaving earlier in the year, or never having been there, has little effect.

Bill Stewart? Steve Fischer? TJ Weist?

Reaction Score

I'm not even saying that a coach leaving in December has little effect. I'm saying that the playoff selection committee isn't going to significantly discount a 59-0 win over a ranked opponent in the B1G title game because their head coach had already left.

Reaction Score
As a little anecdote:

I was at a company Christmas party at a hotel a few blocks from that game. I couldn't easily get game updates, but I started noticing lots of Cheeseheads walking by.

None of the Wisconsin fans who were leaving early and returning to the hotel were blaming it on the departure of their coach.

Further: When your AD is a coaching legend, the impact of the departure of the football coach is diminished a bit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a little anecdote:

I was at a company Christmas party at a hotel a few blocks from that game. I couldn't easily get game updates, but I started noticing lots of Cheeseheads walking by.

None of the Wisconsin fans who were leaving early and returning to the hotel were blaming it on the departure of their coach.

Further: When your AD is a coaching legend, the impact of the departure of the football coach is diminished a bit.

Actually, I'm guessing the reason for this is that nelson was (surprise) wrong, and Anderson didn't leave until four days after the B1G title game. Alvarez coached the team in the Outback Bowl, a win over Auburn.

I'm sure he'll post soon about how the fact that Anderson was planning to leave means that Ohio State's win shouldn't matter.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I liked it better when he said that Thabeet wasn't tall enough to be a BE center.

Or when you used to criticize Ray Allen's shooting mechanics.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not even saying that a coach leaving in December has little effect. I'm saying that the playoff selection committee isn't going to significantly discount a 59-0 win over a ranked opponent in the B1G title game because their head coach had already left.

The Playoff Committee was going to give the bid to Ohio State over TCU and Baylor if it was even close. You guys are coming up with reasons after the fact for why Ohio State got in and the other schools didn't, as if it was obvious for everyone to see.

The NCAA Basketball Selection Committee has ironically and disappointingly become more political, with the past two years being a big, fat, unfunny joke. The P5 being better than everyone else is becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy when they control the committee that decides who gets to compete.

Reaction Score
The Playoff Committee was going to give the bid to Ohio State over TCU and Baylor if it was even close. You guys are coming up with reasons after the fact for why Ohio State got in and the other schools didn't, as if it was obvious for everyone to see.

The NCAA Basketball Selection Committee has ironically and disappointingly become more political, with the past two years being a big, fat, unfunny joke. The P5 being better than everyone else is becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy when they control the committee that decides who gets to compete.

I note that you failed to address the fact that you were wrong about Anderson leaving before the Big Ten title game, which completely negates your argument about that game having an 'asterisk' next to it.

And I'll admit, when the decision was made, I thought that TCU got screwed because 1) Ohio State was a bigger name and 2) they didn't play a CCG, so they were hurt by recency bias. And both of those things may have contributed, but the fact is that Ohio State's resume was stronger on the season than TCU's was. If you look at the teams they played and the games they won, they were better.

Reaction Score
Actually, I'm guessing the reason for this is that nelson was (surprise) wrong, and Anderson didn't leave until four days after the B1G title game. Alvarez coached the team in the Outback Bowl, a win over Auburn.

I'm sure he'll post soon about how the fact that Anderson was planning to leave means that Ohio State's win shouldn't matter.

I was wondering why Alvarez didn't coach the CCG.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
You just named all the successful coaches who had to step in at year end. Impressive.

You said it had never happened. You were wrong.
Again

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Or when you used to criticize Ray Allen's shooting mechanics.

LOL. The differenc is that you actually said this. You are lying about what I said. Liar

Reaction Score

I thought this was the case. At work couldn't really take the time to fact check it. Thanks for doing the legwork.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I thought this was the case. At work couldn't really take the time to fact check it. Thanks for doing the legwork.

Nelson lied? and got caught again?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LOL. The differenc is that you actually said this. You are lying about what I said. Liar

Thabeet was too short to be a Big East center? Really?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Thabeet was too short to be a Big East center? Really?

Isn't that what you claimed or Stanley Robinson wasn't athletic enough. Some pathetic cry for attention. Forget which.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I note that you failed to address the fact that you were wrong about Anderson leaving before the Big Ten title game, which completely negates your argument about that game having an 'asterisk' next to it.

And I'll admit, when the decision was made, I thought that TCU got screwed because 1) Ohio State was a bigger name and 2) they didn't play a CCG, so they were hurt by recency bias. And both of those things may have contributed, but the fact is that Ohio State's resume was stronger on the season than TCU's was. If you look at the teams they played and the games they won, they were better.

And Randy Edsall was coach of UConn against Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl except he was looking for a job somewhere else.

Anderson left 3 days after the game. You are right, he was 24/7 on Wisconsin right up to the time he walked out the door.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Isn't that what you claimed or Stanley Robinson wasn't athletic enough. Some pathetic cry for attention. Forget which.

Nothing screams "look at me" quite like picking a fight with another poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom