Big East roster moves | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East roster moves

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nova is a mess

Some people saw that Neptune was not cut out for the end of the bench at Villanova by December of his first season. Villanova should have pulled the plug then. It is going to be a trainwreck next season, and a full rebuild for the next coach after Neptune is fired at the end of February. If Villanova had fired him after his first year, they would have looked like jerks, but probably won 25-30 games last year and made the Sweet 16 with the roster they had.

Neptune reminds me a lot of Lappas. Seems to know the X's and O's, but some guys are just not meant for the head job at a major program, and Neptune is one of those guys. He might be a super successful mid-major coach for all I know, but the lights are too bright and the competition is too strong at a school like Villanova.

Reaction Score
Nova is a mess
It's shocking how they're running things. All that NIL money at their disposal and they've chosen to tank their basketball program. From what I heard they made the decision to stick with Neptune and if they got rid of Neptune they were naming Baker Dunleavy head coach. Clueless.

Reaction Score
Some people saw that Neptune was not cut out for the end of the bench at Villanova by December of his first season. Villanova should have pulled the plug then. It is going to be a trainwreck next season, and a full rebuild for the next coach after Neptune is fired at the end of February. If Villanova had fired him after his first year, they would have looked like jerks, but probably won 25-30 games last year and made the Sweet 16 with the roster they had.

Neptune reminds me a lot of Lappas. Seems to know the X's and O's, but some guys are just not meant for the head job at a major program, and Neptune is one of those guys. He might be a super successful mid-major coach for all I know, but the lights are too bright and the competition is too strong at a school like Villanova.
Yeah that team was loaded with talent and his lack of coaching was super evident. Big East benefits from them being strong but it seems like they are further away from being competitive right now than DePaul is

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Holtmann is quietly putting together a solid roster of mostly transfers and two HS recruits.

Class of 24: 225 Riddle (6'6 210), 296 Konneh (6'7 180)

24 transfers:
Isaiah Rivera 6’5 210 GR from UIC, 15.4p, 4.2r, 1.8a, 41.6 3P%, 77 FT%
Jacob Meyer 6’2 195 SO from Coastal Carolina, 15.7p, 5.1r, 2.6a, 40 3P%
Troy D’Amico 6’7 212 SR from Southern Illinois, 9.3p, 3.7r, 2.6a, 36.4 3P% in 32.3 mpg
CJ Gunn 6’5 175 JR from Indiana, 13 mpg
NJ Benson 6’8 225 JR from Southern Illinois, 8.6p, 7.9r, 1.6b, 63 FG%
Conor Enright 6’1 180 JR from Drake, 7p, 3r, 3a, 1s, 44 3P%
David Thomas 6’2 200 SO from Mercer 11p, 2.3, 40 3P%

Lots of shooters.
Do they have a center on their roster already? Tough if their tallest player rn is 6’8”…

Reaction Score
That list looks better on paper than the low-major crew from Bucknell, Northeastern and UC Irvine that Matta brought in for Butler this season, and Butler had a decent season despite Matta looking like he is not quite completely cryogenically unfrozen yet.

Right, Telfort and Davis ended up being pretty good and Davis is back in the portal for another upgrade.

DePaul looks like they are fighting be the 5 seed in the MVC which is sadly a huge upgrade but you need to start somewhere.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
DePaul has to get to the stage where they are not historically awful. They need a year or two of not being the worst program on earth and then they can start a rebuild. They need to think 5-7 years.

Villanova is on fire - they need to be looking for a coach before this gets further out of hand.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Holtmann is quietly putting together a solid roster of mostly transfers and two HS recruits.

Class of 24: 225 Riddle (6'6 210), 296 Konneh (6'7 180)

24 transfers:
Isaiah Rivera 6’5 210 GR from UIC, 15.4p, 4.2r, 1.8a, 41.6 3P%, 77 FT%
Jacob Meyer 6’2 195 SO from Coastal Carolina, 15.7p, 5.1r, 2.6a, 40 3P%
Troy D’Amico 6’7 212 SR from Southern Illinois, 9.3p, 3.7r, 2.6a, 36.4 3P% in 32.3 mpg
CJ Gunn 6’5 175 JR from Indiana, 13 mpg
NJ Benson 6’8 225 JR from Southern Illinois, 8.6p, 7.9r, 1.6b, 63 FG%
Conor Enright 6’1 180 JR from Drake, 7p, 3r, 3a, 1s, 44 3P%
David Thomas 6’2 200 SO from Mercer 11p, 2.3, 40 3P%

Lots of shooters.

Will it be enough to get over the hump with Cooley & Georgetown?

Reaction Score
DePaul has to get to the stage where they are not historically awful. They need a year or two of not being the worst program on earth and then they can start a rebuild. They need to think 5-7 years.

Villanova is on fire - they need to be looking for a coach before this gets further out of hand.
I hear KO is now available.

Reaction Score
Will it be enough to get over the hump with Cooley & Georgetown?
Even with adding JJ Traynor, DePaul hasn't added enough to get out of the worst spot in the Big East.

That being said, their roster is currently two 5th years, one senior, three juniors, two sophomores and two freshmen, so I see this haul more of a "starting to build the foundation" than a quick fix.

One thing is for sure, DePaul has added a ton of shooters. Six of their transfers all shot 36 3P%+ last season. 6'8 225 NJ Benson is a capable guy in the center rotation, but they need another big.

Also, it's official, Mack to Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Their roster from last season with Jay Wright as head coach is a Sweet 16 team, at a minimum.
This is what I have said in a few posts in the past. With all the talent that Villanova roster had, there is no way in hell they should have ever missed the NCAAT. If Jay Wright was coaching this team, Villanova would've been a big problem for everyone else. UConn would still finish on top, but Nova would've finished no worse than 4th in the Big East they would've been a 2nd round team or Sweet 16 team in the NCAAT. At best with the right draw, they could've made the Final Four.

People might rebuttal it's not fair to put that on Neptune because Jay Wright is a Hall of Famer and a legend (IMO the #1 coach in the country before he retired). Fair enough. If Shaheen Holloway, Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, Sean Miller, or Greg McDermott was coaching that Villanova team they would've been a lot better and won some games in the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
This is what I have said in a few posts in the past. With all the talent that Villanova roster had, there is no way in hell they should have ever missed the NCAAT. If Jay Wright was coaching this team, Villanova would've been a big problem for everyone else. UConn would still finish on top, but Nova would've finished no worse than 4th in the Big East they would've been a 2nd round team or Sweet 16 team in the NCAAT. At best with the right draw, they could've made the Final Four.

People might rebuttal it's not fair to put that on Neptune because Jay Wright is a Hall of Famer and a legend (IMO the #1 coach in the country before he retired). Fair enough. If Shaheen Holloway, Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, Sean Miller, or Greg McDermott was coaching that Villanova team they would've been a lot better and won some games in the NCAAT.
And Neptune went 17-17 the year before with a roster containing Cam Whitmore, Caleb Daniels, Eric Dixon, Brandon Slater, Mark Armstrong, Jordan Longino and he got Justin Moore back for the final 13 games.

I don't understand why Nova has chosen to set fire to their program but that's what they've done.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Recent roster moves:
Butler picked up Iowa’s Pat McCaffery and Jamie Kaiser from Maryland.
Dre Davis went from Seton Hall to OleMiss.
Providence gets Jabari Abdur-Rahim from Georgia, Xavier picks up center John Hugley from Oklahoma and Georgetown gets two good Guards in Mailk Mack from Harvard and Micah Peavy from TCU.

Reaction Score
Xavier should be very good next season if Freemantle and Jerome Hunter stay healthy. Claude, McKnight, Swain. Maddox, Hugely, and it looks like they'll get Ryan Conwell from Indiana State in the portal.
Like both Conwell & Maddox….

Reaction Score
Like both Conwell & Maddox….
I can't speak to Maddox, but Conwell on Indiana State looked like a really solid player. That Indiana State was very good offensively and Sean Miller the last 2 years has shown he knows how to coach offense.

Reaction Score
I can't speak to Maddox, but Conwell on Indiana State looked like a really solid player. That Indiana State was very good offensively and Sean Miller the last 2 years has shown he knows how to coach offense.
Maddox really nice length for his height with unlimited range- very athletic- nice player- needs to be coached on shot selection.

I agree with Conwell- was very impressed in about the 1/2 dozen times I saw him play this year- good shooter- willing defender- decent athlete for his size & strong physically.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom