Big East basketball on FoxSports | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big East basketball on FoxSports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Competitive basketball does not mean it is good or entertaining basketball. Case in point: UConn's 2011 Championship game vs. Butler. It was a close throughout between supposedly the best two teams in the country (certainly the hottest) but it was without a doubt one of the worst basketball games, in terms of entertainment value that I've watched in probably 20 years. Outside of CT, western MA, and Indianapolis, I can't imagine many fans enjoying that game and I think the overnight ratings proved that out, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Competitive basketball does not mean it is good or entertaining basketball. Case in point: UConn's 2011 Championship game vs. Butler. It was a close throughout between supposedly the best two teams in the country (certainly the hottest) but it was without a doubt one of the worst basketball games, in terms of entertainment value that I've watched in probably 20 years. Outside of CT, western MA, and Indianapolis, I can't imagine many fans enjoying that game and I think the overnight ratings proved that out, IIRC.

Depends on what you look for. Luke Winn and Coach K. said that UConn put on an outstanding defensive clinic.

UConn had to pull multiple starters with 10 minutes to go in the first half. So many had 2 fouls. Even Kemba Walker sat out 7 the last 10 minutes. The 6 out there were Donnell Beverly, Niels Giffey, Okwandu, Roscoe, Coombs-McDaniel and Shabazz.

In the second half, UConn shot 50% until the last minute when they let clock wind down. They scored 34 points in the second half.

In the first half, they scored 3 FGs after the 13:00 minute mark, and no FGs after the 7:00 minute mark.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Again, that's because they were given more tickets than any other school ever was. It's basically a lie of a stat.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Depends on what you look for. Luke Winn and Coach K. said that UConn put on an outstanding defensive clinic.

UConn had to pull multiple starters with 10 minutes to go in the first half. So many had 2 fouls. Even Kemba Walker sat out 7 the last 10 minutes. The 6 out there were Donnell Beverly, Niels Giffey, Okwandu, Roscoe, Coombs-McDaniel and Shabazz.

In the second half, UConn shot 50% until the last minute when they let clock wind down. They scored 34 points in the second half.

In the first half, they scored 3 FGs after the 13:00 minute mark, and no FGs after the 7:00 minute mark.
If their National Semifinal games weren't so good, I would blame the venue. Very few basketball arenas have the background that a 90,000 seat mega-stadium does. Depth perception on both sides seemed to be a problem.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You don't have to tell us. UConn Football season ticket holders bought 7 games x number of seats worth of tickets well in advance of this "entertainment." 2014 college football hot stove can't come fast enough?

Reaction Score
If their National Semifinal games weren't so good, I would blame the venue. Very few basketball arenas have the background that a 90,000 seat mega-stadium does. Depth perception on both sides seemed to be a problem.

But then you're going to have to explain how they shot 50% the rest of the game? They only went cold when they pulled the starters.

Reaction Score

No, it's going to come down to if the New Big East teams can become relevant in basketball again. Fans want to see good teams, especially casual fans. In the 80s and early 90s, the fans came to see great teams and great players: Patrick Ewing and Georgetown, Pearl Washington and Syracuse, Chris Mullen and St. John's, ...

I hope the BE thrives, but it is going to be an uphill climb.

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament?

You won't find Creighton coming with big numbers

Creighton has outsold Syracuse who set the pace at 1800 all game tickets sold last year. I believe they finished over 2,000 sold and could still request more if needed.

Creighton Bluejays ‏ @ gocreighton 1 Nov
Just announced Creighton MBB's sold over 1,900 all-session tickets to BIG EAST Tourney. 3 more hours to get yours! http://*****/qpXbF

Husky25

Reaction Score
But then you're going to have to explain how they shot 50% the rest of the game? They only went cold when they pulled the starters.

I said if they didn't play great semifinal games, I'd blame the venue (As a Redskins fan, I'll blame the venue anyway :D). My point remains that neither 1) teams competing on the same level, nor 2) a close game guarantee an entertaining product.

Reaction Score
Think about this. There have been only 4 Big East Tournaments in which the two teams in the Finals are still in the Big East and the last time it happened was in 1994, 20 years ago!

Reaction Score
Creighton has outsold Syracuse who set the pace at 1800 all game tickets sold last year. I believe they finished over 2,000 sold and could still request more if needed.

Just announced Creighton MBB's sold over 1,900 all-session tickets to BIG EAST Tourney. 3 more hours to get yours! http:// /qpXbF

That's not very many.

When UConn/Cuse were playing, 12,000 fans from each school were in the building. Unless they were playing one another. Pitt probably brought 5,000.

Reaction Score

Just announced Creighton MBB's sold over 1,900 all-session tickets to BIG EAST Tourney. 3 more hours to get yours! http:// /qpXbF

Big East tournament tickets are allocated to schools as the public sale of BE Tourney tickets was discontinued, I think, in 2006. No school in the old BE was ever allocated or allowed to purchase 2000 tickets to the tournament.

Reaction Score
That's not very many.

When UConn/Cuse were playing, 12,000 fans from each school were in the building. Unless they were playing one another. Pitt probably brought 5,000.

He doesn't understand the secondary market at the BE Tourney. In the old days, schools were allocated ~1000 to 1500 tickets, yet Syracuse and UConn could have 10k+ at a game by buying tickets in the secondary market. If Creighton is in the finals and there are only 2k Creighton fans there, I will guarantee that MSG will be > half empty even though it will be reported as a sell out.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Making it in the Big East? '94 was the year that if not for a 94 feet in 3 seconds Tyus Edney drive, UConn would have gone to the Final 4.

Edit: I'm mistaken. That game happened in the 1995 NCAA tourney...

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
No I understand. My unmade point was that the BET was merely a speedbump to the Elite 8. Alas, I was about 365 days off.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The reality is that if things stay static, the ACC and the NBE are both going to good mid-major conferences.

Being in the top third of a good mid-major conference is a huge step for up PC and a huge step down for UCONN.

So, PC just has to worry about being better than SHU and depaul and URI and St Johns.

UCONN has to worry about getting the hell out of dodge and into a major conference.

Reaction Score

19k - (5-7k) = 12k.

Secondary market eh? Doesn't that reinforce my point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom