Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm applying empirical facts. Danny repeatedly called it the country's toughest conference and it prepared them for the Big Dance in a big way. The Big East is a basketball conference, not football, and the women's side has improved immeasurably since we rejoined. We ain't exactly running the table there, injuries notwithstanding. If it's about the dollar, as Nan says, we are all doomed. We don't belong there though by geography, historical rivalries, academics, regional affiliations, or otherwise.
Absolutely and I'm applying empirical facts. The UConn women's basketball team was in the big east this year. It had its worst post season turn out in recent memory. Therefore being in the Big East caused it to have a bad postseason run.

Did I get the logic right?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I might very well be wrong about this but, I was under the impression that the majority of Geno's salary was paid for by funds outside of the university's general budget. Is that not correct ?
BBallF said the football coaches were too expensive. My point is that the expense is significantly higher for the basketball teams

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I appreciate the realism but also recognize that there is a place in our country's sports for regional, historical , and natural rivalries. The question is can we afford it and also will we afford it. I hope we have more of the same. I loved the old Big East and love the new one, both men and women.
The best non-UConn players in the Big East are either graduated (Maddie) or off to, yes, a super conference team (Aneesah Morrow, LSU, Lauren Park-Lane and Darrione Rogers, Miss State). The Big East is going to be down this year.

The best players are going to be looking at the super conferences first, especially after Geno retires. The product you might be watching in future Big East games will most likely be unwatchable. Take a look at this past year’s Xavier-Georgetown game to see what I’m talking about.

Reaction Score
I might very well be wrong about this but, I was under the impression that the majority of Geno's salary was paid for by funds outside of the university's general budget. Is that not correct ?
"All UConn coaches' compensation comes solely from Athletic Department revenues. These include ticket sales, radio and television broadcast contracts, Big East conference and NCAA income, private fundraising, and corporate partnerships."
per ct.gov site

Reaction Score
The best non-UConn players in the Big East are either graduated (Maddie) or off to, yes, a super conference team (Aneesah Morrow, LSU, Lauren Park-Lane and Darrione Rogers, Miss State). The Big East is going to be down this year.

The best players are going to be looking at the super conferences first, especially after Geno retires. The product you might be watching in future Big East games will most likely be unwatchable. Take a look at this past year’s Xavier-Georgetown game to see what I’m talking about.
The Big East will be down this year for the reasons you mention. The rest of the conference has also never been able to make much headway getting top 100 recruits either. They get some but most go to Power 5 conferences. That has been a problem for years, but I think NIL and the portal now represent a very serious threat to the Big East.

If it was just moving for basketball reasons, I don't think we would have seen the exodus from the conference we did. But if you do well enough in the Big East to be a target for a nationally ranked team with significant NIL money, players will leave. That is a new dynamic that suggests the gap between the top conferences and the next tier will get bigger not smaller. If you are good enough to have NIL potential, you will go to where you can maximize that, and Uconn is probably the only conference team that can offer much potential there.

Reaction Score
Absolutely and I'm applying empirical facts. The UConn women's basketball team was in the big east this year. It had its worst post season turn out in recent memory. Therefore being in the Big East caused it to have a bad postseason run.

Did I get the logic right?
No. What logic are you talking about? We all know that the post season run was the result of injuries. My point is that the league is not hurting the basketball program, men or women. If it's all about the money and deficits though, which may be an overriding factor, then it is a sad state of affairs.

Reaction Score

Yes, I'm aware. It doesn't mean I have to embrace it. There is an awful lot of electricity when on the men's side UCONN plays Nova for example and it will be this year with games against St. John's among others. It's an all in proposition. If the women go to the Big 12 the men do too. That is sad to me.

Reaction Score
It's yet another losing college football league. It won't do us any more good than the AAC did. We can say goodbye to major college football, and stick with B-ball. No loss.

Reaction Score
Ask the fans at Syracuse, BC, and Pitt how much they're enjoying the big money conference. The Big East isn't a strong conference in women's basketball, but that doesn't seem to be an obstacle to winning NCs here.

Reaction Score
Ask the fans at Syracuse, BC, and Pitt how much they're enjoying the big money conference. The Big East isn't a strong conference in women's basketball, but that doesn't seem to be an obstacle to winning NCs here.
Pray really hard for Geno's replacement and staff to succeed.

Reaction Score
It's yet another losing college football league. It won't do us any more good than the AAC did. We can say goodbye to major college football, and stick with B-ball. No loss.
Going from The BIG East to the AAC was considered a step down and a let down. BCS to G5. Now you are going from G5 to P5 if Invited with better football and basketball than the AAC and NBE plus a better funded Athletic Department. UConn WBB did pretty well in the AAC too BTW. Of course, it will do better than the AAC. Coaches make all the difference no matter what conference any school is in.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OK, After chewing on this for 4 days, what's the consensus here? Do we join if offered, or wait for a possible better offer to come along? :rolleyes:
There are some good arguments on both sides of the fence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It won't do us any more good than the AAC did. We can say goodbye to major college football, and stick with B-ball. No loss.
Except the millions invested in facilities. I'm sorry but your first sentence is nonsense. College Sports is down to a Big 3. And the Big 12 is one of the three. It's UConn's best shot to remain relevant long-term.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I just don't get some posters who are against a P5 invite.

Nobody here knows what will happen to the conferences in 5 or 10 years. Those posts are pure speculation. Nobody knows the television/ streaming or whatever comes next will be. And nobody knows the money involved.

After the BCS broke up, the old BE split, thanks to some of our "rivals" protecting themselves to get in the ACC. And the AAC was formed. This forum was loaded with those who complained we deserve to in a P5 conference. And we know how that went as others moved to conferences to a better position.

So now we have the possibility of an invite from the B12. And posters are saying no. Sorry but that is small minded. A wish to return to our "regional rivalries." The New Big East is fine for some schools but not for UConn.

I guess many have no confidence in our football program and head coach. Sad.

If we get the invite, we would be fools of the first order to turn it down.

Reaction Score
The things is UConn WBB does not have NBE rivalries other than Villanova. As for the men, Villanova and some consider PC as a rival.
UConn's rivals are/were other national programs and their coaches.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ok, I’ve read all of the comments in this thread. Some are quite compelling and make a ton of sense. Now I’m asking a different question. This a purely speculative question. If invited to join the Big 12 next year, what do you think UConn WILL do? Not should do, but will do? :eek:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok, I’ve read all of the comments in this thread. Some are quite compelling and make a ton of sense. Now I’m asking a different question. This a purely speculative question. If invited to join the Big 12 next year, what do you think UConn WILL do? Not should do, but will do? :eek:
Accept the invitation.

Reaction Score
The not traveling well indictment is easily solved and proven wrong. When the Huskies qualify for a bowl game and are invited, simply buy your tickets only from the school and then attend the game. Win or lose, most fans that attend their team’s bowl game have the time of their lives.
If Uconn gets an invitation they need to take it. More money and time to prepare for the next round of moves.
Around 2028-2030, there will probably be a consolidation of the football schools.
They by that time will probably have formed an association outside the NCAA for football.
If you aren't in one of the conference's by then you never will be.

Reaction Score
I was totally against leaving the Big East, but if the Big 12 adds Colorado, Arizona State, Arizona, BYU,, etc as rumored I would support the move then!
But I still believe the typical rivalries will not develop with opponents that far away!

Reaction Score
I was totally against leaving the Big East, but if the Big 12 adds Colorado, Arizona State, Arizona, BYU,, etc as rumored I would support the move then!
But I still believe the typical rivalries will not develop with opponents that far away!
The UConn rivalries that matter are non conference and NCAA tournament games. Is there any BE team that will ever come close to generating the excitement of a SC or ND game??? (Rhetorical question)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who are our rivals now in the Big East?

Reaction Score
OK, I'll waste my keystrokes (I'm good at that). I want 2 things:

1. Do whatever is the best for UConn sports, all sports, not just FB, but also WBB/MBB.
2. As a taxpayer subsidizing the athletic department do what makes the most $$ sense.

I couldn't care less about rivalries, do those rivals care about UConn? I don't think so. Having nothing to do with either #1 or #2 above, there is 1 thing I like about UConn being a FB independent, they get to have an eclectic and entertaining schedule. Maybe once a year some P5 school would hope to pick up an easy D1 win and be surprised. Too bad for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom