Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This thread will certainly generate a ton of responses. My first thought is how badly does UConn want to join a P5 conference, especially one whose member schools are mostly located in the midwest, and as the article mentions would have travel issues, and their football team is still rebuilding, and two, what is the projected financial health of the Big 12 in the next 5-10 years?

Is this a "Godfather" offer? Would this be a move UConn is willing to make, or are they better off for now staying put in the Big East and perhaps waiting for things to settle down in 2-3 years and then addressing the possibility of changing conferences (assuming an offer would still be on the table)?

The Big 12 is leaking oil and taking on water right now with the departure of Texas and Oklahoma. I’m not sure that is a vessel you want to board right now. I know UConn is eager to join a P5 conference, but I question if this would really benefit them in the long run. A better offer might be forthcoming down the road in a few years.
Carnac, I could not agree more. These people that dream of Uconn in a Power 5 conference should start rethinking because once Texas and Oklahoma are gone it's going to be a Power 4 conference, no more financially viable than the Big East but presenting a lot more problems scheduling and travel wise. Again, apply the old adage, "Be careful of what you ask for, you just might get it."

Reaction Score
Any chance all this Big 12 talk gets the ACC to beat them to the punch and offer us.
They need our basketball programs bad.

Reaction Score
One more consideration to think about before you get up and do your happy dance...............Exit Fees.

“We didn’t join the Big East to leave,” UConn athletic director David Benedict said back in May, 2020. “They didn’t bring us in to leave, and we didn’t join to leave.” The school couldn’t be happier to be back in the Big East, and one way it’s showed its gratitude is by agreeing to pay a whopping $30 million exit fee if it were to leave any time within its first six years in the league. That fee gradually decreases after six years, but will still be substantial for a while.

Don’t forget, UConn is still paying the AAC about $1 million a year over the next six years for its own $17 million exit fee, which was largely covered by turning over the school’s share of media rights to the AAC. UConn currently has a $43.5 million athletics budget deficit that has caused the school to drop several sports, among other measures. But wouldn’t all those deficits be made up for by the financial windfall of joining the Big 12 or ACC? Well, sure. But not for a long time. Yes, the ACC shares $32.3 million per member school via its media-rights deal. The Big East only shares about $4 million per school. But typically, when a school joins a new conference, it doesn’t become fully-vested for such payments for several years.

Schools aren’t immediately fully-vested in NCAA units and other payments earned by their new conference, either. UConn won’t be fully-vested in the Big East for another three years. Right now, it’s all speculation. But don’t speculate that UConn is packing for a Big East departure. Bottom line is that may not be happening anytime soon — if ever.

My question isn't how much $$$ money the B12 affiliation will earn UConn but what the bottom line will be after UConn increases it's football budget to become competitive and spends whatever it takes to upgrade their football stadium? I don't think the media isn't telling the whole story. Why? because the media owns college football.

The way things are going we will eventually be calling UConn "The Chase Banking UConn Huskies" and they will play in DuPont Stadium.

Reaction Score
My son lives in Florida and a guy he plays golf with is a huge UConn donor. According to him, the Big12 will invite UConn. If that happens, will the Big12 allow SNY to televise our games?

The B12 won't have a say. ESPN/Fox will decide.

Reaction Score
For those of you who are new to this issue, the line about "doesn't travel well" is talking about when UConn played in the Fiesta Bowl game. Many UConn fans purchased tickets in the after market. So the school was left holding a lot of tickets. But to say the fans didn't go to the game is just wrong. There were a lot of us there.

Reaction Score
This thread will certainly generate a ton of responses. My first thought is how badly does UConn want to join a P5 conference, especially one whose member schools are mostly located in the midwest, and as the article mentions would have travel issues, and their football team is still rebuilding, and two, what is the projected financial health of the Big 12 in the next 5-10 years?

Is this a "Godfather" offer? Would this be a move UConn is willing to make, or are they better off for now staying put in the Big East and perhaps waiting for things to settle down in 2-3 years and then addressing the possibility of changing conferences (assuming an offer would still be on the table)?

The Big 12 is leaking oil and taking on water right now with the departure of Texas and Oklahoma. I’m not sure that is a vessel you want to board right now. I know UConn is eager to join a P5 conference, but I question if this would really benefit them in the long run. A better offer might be forthcoming down the road in a few years.
Half the teams in the Big East are in the Mid West. Each B12 team is projected to receive $57-60MM by 2029. The conference will be getting additional football playoff money as a P5 conference. Thats without Texas and Oklahoma. Their commissioner is positioning the conference as a solid #3 behind SEC and B1G and wants a national conference. He wants UConn and the New York area market. They are the #3 WBB conference and #1 MBB conference. Most likely will be added to by some ACC leftovers when that conference implodes. The travel issue was regarding the Fiesta Bowl ticket and travel package fiasco issued by the school. It was very expensive. The story ran in the Courant and got picked up by the national media. Few bought it and it looked bad on paper, but many thousands of fans attended the game. Travel packages were purchased from third parties, fans of schools that did not make the bowl. UConn is getting less than $10MM from the Big East. The B12 is not leaking but looking to expand. You can't continue to run a P5 athletic department on G5 monies. UConn has many successful teams and if selected will have the financial resources to support those successes in the future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The B12 won't have a say. ESPN/Fox will decide.
The two G5 schools that will not dilute the distribution pool are SDSU and UConn. Exit money gets cut in half in a couple of years.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't see how the Big 12 is shaping up to be the #3 conference. Look again at the post listing the schools, then subtract Texas and Oklahoma. What you are left with is really not that much.

Reaction Score
I don't see how the Big 12 is shaping up to be the #3 conference. Look again at the post listing the schools, then subtract Texas and Oklahoma. What you are left with is really not that much.
Nobody east of the Rockies gives a blank about the Pac12 er Pac10...48% of the population is in the east. 16% in the pacific. We are not going to be the only future candidates.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Any chance all this Big 12 talk gets the ACC to beat them to the punch and offer us.
They need our basketball programs bad.
No. As it is the revenue gap between the ACC and the SEC/Big 10 is growing. The last thing the league wants is to add more schools. Some schools have made noise about challenging the GOR clause in the agreement and the ACC responded with an undefined revenue sharing model that is supposed to give more successful schools more money under the media rights deal. We'll see how that works. The ACC's media rights deal expires in 2036 which is a big problem for the schools that think they should be making as much as SEC and Big 10 schools.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For those of you who are new to this issue, the line about "doesn't travel well" is talking about when UConn played in the Fiesta Bowl game. Many UConn fans purchased tickets in the after market. So the school was left holding a lot of tickets. But to say the fans didn't go to the game is just wrong. There were a lot of us there.
Me too

EC2DAB7D-F9D8-4643-AE65-1F87D204BD9C.jpeg

Reaction Score
Pac-12 just lost UCLA and USC (and maybe more). Multiple teams are projected to be poached from the ACC for SEC and B1G. There will be a Power2, and then 2 or 3 more. B12 is positioning itself to be the best of the rest.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The not traveling well indictment is easily solved and proven wrong. When the Huskies qualify for a bowl game and are invited, simply buy your tickets only from the school and then attend the game. Win or lose, most fans that attend their team’s bowl game have the time of their lives.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, if the ACC and the Pac 12 go away, then I guess the Big 12 would have to be #3 by default.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The not traveling well indictment is easily solved and proven wrong. When the Huskies qualify for a bowl game and are invited, simply buy your tickets only from the school and then attend the game. Win or lose, most fans that attend their team’s bowl game have the time of their lives.
I bought 4 tickets to last year’s bowl game and donated them to military families/youth groups. UConn makes it easy to do so

Reaction Score
Well, if the ACC and the Pac 12 go away, then I guess the Big 12 would have to be #3 by default.
They won’t be going away, they’ll be just like B12 losing their top programs.

Reaction Score
The people against the move to the Big 12 are free to write a check to the university every year for $40 million to pay for the deficit the Athletic Dept runs, or we just get rid of sports and just do the academic stuff and never have to care about these issues ever again.

Reaction Score
Right now, at this moment, does UConn have a offer to join the Big 12? If it does, will this proposal be available for the public to review?

Until this officially happens, all this talk is just speculation and perhaps, hopeful thinking by some and negative thinking for those that contend that UConn is best off in the Big East.

It seems that it looks like that "money" will be be the deciding factor on both sides of the equation.

Reaction Score
SEC or Big 10 in football.....would be beyond brutal for UConn......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
SEC or Big 10 in football.....would be beyond brutal for UConn......
We’ll find out what the damage would be this year. Last year UConn got creamed by Top 10 Michigan, but to be fair, they lost their starting QB early in the game and replaced him with a true freshman. This season, the Huskies are taking on Tennessee. If UConn is healthy, we’ll see how they might measure up in the SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom