Big 12 no longer an option | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 no longer an option

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Or we could all not worry or postulate on those things we have no control over. In the end this was the best outcome because UConn remains clear of any drama. Had we gotten the invite and accepted as we would have left a trail of haters and bad karma. Now we can focus on what we do best. Being the capital of the CBB world. FF for men and women in 2024. Page ncaa women’s poy and DC dominates while Steph plays like a top five freshman. Karaban ceiling is still rising. 6’8” unlimited range better than average at going to the hoop, great passer. I could see him being our star player next year.

Reaction Score
This conference speculation, and that's what it has always been is useless. Talking about it when there's substance is one thing but how many here knew football wasn't invited? There wouldn't have been a thread here if that was known by us on day 1. The Big 12 certainly knew we wouldn't leave for basketball only, so they weren't serious.

Reaction Score
I think this is the high point for network deals, they're dying and will continue to die. This is still the early stages of all this stuff. If the lawyers and gov't don't get involved and we don't get back to regionality the future is going to be about brands. They won't continue the gravy train for all these suck programs and brands will be paid.
You may be right but I’d still rather have a home in one of these super conferences than not. You cannot in all seriousness say we are in a great position right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Personally I'm sick and tired of waiting for an invite and being used by the Power 4 teams to add to their respective leagues. It's time for UConn and the Big East to get creative. This is what I would do.

First invite Gonzaga, Stanford, Cal, Washington St. and Oregon State to the Big East and put them in a West Division that includes: Creighton, DePaul, Marquette. The rest of the Big East is in a East Division. You play those teams in your own division twice and each of the other division once. Alternating home and away each year.

In football UConn, Stanford, Cal, Washington St. and Oregon State all agree to play each other once while they fill up the rest of their schedule with independents and buy games.

Next, you talk with Syracuse, Boston College and Pitt and tell them that when the ACC breaks apart and they are left high and dry that you will take them back. At the same time your talking to San Diego State and tell them that you have a spot waiting for them. Then you wait for the ACC to dissolve, take back the former Big East teams and add San Diego State. Move Xavier, Butler and San Diego State to the West Division and continue with the play 2 in your division format and play 1 in the other division.

Now you have 9 football teams that play each other once a year and fill your remaining schedule with buy games. Negotiate your own football TV deal.

I'm just saying it's better then just waiting around for something that is never going to come.

So, there was this guy on the internet who had a plan to increase our travel costs to around $12M a year.

You know this is dumb, right?

Reaction Score
As a fan I am very happy right where we are. I love BIG EAST basketball. We are at home here. No other conference in the nation is playing a better brand or higher level of basketball than the BIG EAST. We have both historic and newer emerging rivals within the conference that provide the highest levels of competition and parity. The powers that be should continue to work earnestly to continue to improve the conference and it's income potential.

Reaction Score
As a fan I am very happy right where we are. I love BIG EAST basketball. We are at home here. No other conference in the nation is playing a better brand or higher level of basketball than the BIG EAST. We have both historic and newer emerging rivals within the conference that provide the highest levels of competition and parity. The powers that be should continue to work earnestly to continue to improve the conference and it's income potential.
Definitely dodged a bullet avoiding the Big 12. They're an awful basketball conference, bottom of the barrel.

iu

Reaction Score
Read this from Wikipedia on Howard Schnellenberger and Lousivlle.:

In 1985, Schnellenberger returned to his hometown to coach another struggling program, the University of Louisville Cardinals. Schnellenberger inherited a situation that was as bad, if not worse, than what he'd inherited at Miami. The Cardinals had not had a winning season since 1978, and only two winning records in the previous 12 years. They played at Cardinal Stadium, a minor-league baseball stadium, and often hosted crowds so small that the school was forced to give tickets away. They also played in the long shadow of the school's powerful men's basketball team.[25] The situation was so grave at Louisville that officials were considering dropping the football program down to NCAA Division I-AA. Nonetheless, at his opening press conference, he stunned reporters and fans by proclaiming the program "is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."

Louisville was an independent when Schnellenberger was hired in 1985 and joined CUSA in 1996, Big East in 2005, and ACC in 2014.

We can only control what we control. We can attend UConn games, donate to the athletic department, watch games on TV,... All of us knew that the UConn football narrative needs to be improved and we are headed in that direction, but it will take time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You just inserted the word linear, and then called it stupid. Your go to method in all your posts

Whoever is paying. Linear, streaming, will pay the top dollar to who they perceive to be the best conferences. Those will be who controls the CFB playoffs, the autonomous conferences. Nobody is going to abandon fiscal responsibility and throw billions at a conference of scraps

To believe otherwise is beyond stupid

If college sports could have gotten away with us all watching the same 10 schools play every weekend, we would already be watching the same 10 schools play every weekend.

Reaction Score
Um yes, it's pretty obvious, and the biggest will only get bigger.

Why bring it up? Are you serious with this? If you haven't noticed, we are on the outside right now.
Looking to hook up with others on the outside is not something to hope for
You don’t know who we would end up in a conference with if the ACC breaks up….is it Syracuse duke Virginia and Pitt or is it wake forest and bc…..until there are tea leaves to read your no
More accurate than anyone else

Reaction Score
I agree. But it at least puts us in line to get picked from when it does to give us a better chance.
We have been waiting in line for more than a decade and the ticket window always closes when UConn is next. What makes anyone now think it will change? The current P5's will always jump the line it seems.

Reaction Score
You don’t know who we would end up in a conference with if the ACC breaks up….is it Syracuse duke Virginia and Pitt or is it wake forest and bc…..until there are tea leaves to read your no

You can bury your head in the sand if you like and cross your fingers and hope for the best

That actually is a strategy

I certainly hope it is one UConn does not believe in.

Reaction Score
UConn never got support from home state politicians. To this day, no pressure seems to have been put on ESPN in this latest Big 12 debacle by state politicians and even one of them actively spoke out against UConn in realignment. ESPN will make sure the ACC schools find a life raft. I believe that Cuse, Pitt and Louisville will go to the Big 12 and establish Yormark's plan for an eastern wing and UConn will likely be left out again.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We have been waiting in line for more than a decade and the ticket window always closes when UConn is next. What makes anyone now think it will change? The current P5's will always jump the line it seems.
The only way it will change is if football performs.

It’s clear as that. We’ve been one of the worst programs in fcs for a few years now. 6 wins last year in an injury riddled season was a great start to change that for Mora. Excited to see what he does this year to continue that momentum to make us a more attractive program.

Cincinnati and UCF were able to get their invites because of it.

Reaction Score
This thread=I think someone is going to try and kill President Lincoln.

Reaction Score
The only way it will change is if football performs.

It’s clear as that. We’ve been one of the worst programs in fcs for a few years now. 6 wins last year in an injury riddled season was a great start to change that for Mora. Excited to see what he does this year to continue that momentum to make us a more attractive program.

Cincinnati and UCF were able to get their invites because of it.
Even if football performs, there will be some new reason to keep us out. It's time to admit that we'll never be good enough for the good ol' boys club.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
UConn athletic donations in 2023: 28 million
UConn athletic donations in 2016: 7 million

I don't remember the recent article this is from, but that is telling. If we get that number closer to 50 million, we will be absolutely fine.

Reaction Score
Personally I'm sick and tired of waiting for an invite and being used by the Power 4 teams to add to their respective leagues. It's time for UConn and the Big East to get creative. This is what I would do.

First invite Gonzaga, Stanford, Cal, Washington St. and Oregon State to the Big East and put them in a West Division that includes: Creighton, DePaul, Marquette. The rest of the Big East is in a East Division. You play those teams in your own division twice and each of the other division once. Alternating home and away each year.

In football UConn, Stanford, Cal, Washington St. and Oregon State all agree to play each other once while they fill up the rest of their schedule with independents and buy games.

Next, you talk with Syracuse, Boston College and Pitt and tell them that when the ACC breaks apart and they are left high and dry that you will take them back. At the same time your talking to San Diego State and tell them that you have a spot waiting for them. Then you wait for the ACC to dissolve, take back the former Big East teams and add San Diego State. Move Xavier, Butler and San Diego State to the West Division and continue with the play 2 in your division format and play 1 in the other division.

Now you have 9 football teams that play each other once a year and fill your remaining schedule with buy games. Negotiate your own football TV deal.

I'm just saying it's better then just waiting around for something that is never going to come.
This is a good plan. I think UCONN needs to get ahead of the curve and start working with Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, and Washington St right now to form some kind of alliance whether via the Big East or through independent football scheduling. I seriously hope we are not sitting on our asses and just waiting for things to happen.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is a good plan. I think UCONN needs to get ahead of the curve and start working with Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, and Washington St right now to form some kind of alliance whether via the Big East or through independent football scheduling. I seriously hope we are not sitting on our asses and just waiting for things to happen.
I still think there is a chance Stanford and Cal end up in the ACC. At that point, I want nothing to do with OSU and WSU.

Reaction Score

I don't remember the recent article this is from, but that is telling. If we get that number closer to 50 million, we will be absolutely fine.
Donations to facility upgrades?

Reaction Score

UConn’s athletic fundraising has doubled over the past five years, from $13.4 million in 2019 to $27.9 million in 2023. It has nearly quadrupled since 2016, when the total commitment was $7.9 million. Campus facilities are elite. “

Reaction Score
Me. Why would we leave the BE without a higher payday?
So that we can make more money in the long term, a lot more and not just in sports, to be associated with better nationwide brands to build our brand, to be associated with consistently getting our athletes more exposure by playing better branded teams, to eventually prove we can compete with them and get an invite which leads to everything from research dollars, to athletic dollars, to more applicants to be more selective and ultimately a better university all around.

Reaction Score
I am surprised we are not hearing rumors from "sources" between Big East and Pac4 like we are with the Pac4 and ACC/AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom