Big 12 no longer an option | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 no longer an option

Reaction Score
I am surprised we are not hearing rumors from "sources" between Big East and Pac4 like we are with the Pac4 and ACC/AAC.
I suspect the Big East wants nothing to do with football schools. They made an exception for UConn. Gonzaga fits the Big East mold if you want to play left coast games.

Reaction Score
I am surprised we are not hearing rumors from "sources" between Big East and Pac4 like we are with the Pac4 and ACC/AAC.
The Big East is a church league run by church schools that like being in charge. They want to play basketball and a few other sports and just keep things the way they are.

Reaction Score
You can bury your head in the sand if you like and cross your fingers and hope for the best

That actually is a strategy

I certainly hope it is one UConn does not believe in.
Nobody is burying their heads in the sand, some of just don’t pretend that seeing a couple rounds of realignment makes us experts on what’s going to happen next, which is what you are ignorantly doing

Reaction Score
Nobody is burying their heads in the sand, some of just don’t pretend that seeing a couple rounds of realignment makes us experts on what’s going to happen next, which is what you are ignorantly doing
Who said they were an expert? Who predicted anything? We were commenting on a scenario someone put forth, nobody said it was going to happen. Perhaps read the conversation you are commenting on speaking of ignorance?

What a person can do is just look at what is going on and apply some common sense, if you even have it. Don't even need to be an expert for that.

Its pretty darn easy to determine a league of castoffs will not get a sufficient media deal, which is what this was about. How's it going for the leftover PAC 4? No need to see the future for that.

Reaction Score
Who said they were an expert? Who predicted anything? We were commenting on a scenario someone put forth, nobody said it was going to happen. Perhaps read the conversation you are commenting on speaking of ignorance?

What a person can do is just look at what is going on and apply some common sense, if you even have it. Don't even need to be an expert for that.

It’s pretty darn easy to determine a league of castoffs will not get a sufficient media deal, which is what this was about. How's it going for the leftover PAC 4? No need to see the future for that.
Tell me who gets into what conference and what the leftovers will be, then you can predict what a new league will pay us. If we end up with duke, cuse, Virginia tech and Pitt I think our tv deal will be pretty lucrative, if we get lesser schools it will be worse. My point is you or I have no idea at this point but for some reason you’re so sure there will be no money left over for us. Outside of Stanford those 3 pac programs are huge afterthoughts in sports compared to some leftover acc brands.

Reaction Score
Tell me who gets into what conference and what the leftovers will be, then you can predict what a new league will pay us. If we end up with duke, cuse, Virginia tech and Pitt I think our tv deal will be pretty lucrative, if we get lesser schools it will be worse. My point is you or I have no idea at this point but for some reason you’re so sure there will be no money left over for us. Outside of Stanford those 3 pac programs are huge afterthoughts in sports compared to some leftover acc brands.

I don't even know if we can make it as a top flight athletic program until 2036 with the meager amount of media money and lack of CFB playoff revenue we currently receive. Hence my opinion on that scenario, that to wait that long only to find the most desirable teams from the ACC are gone would put a stamp on it.

I suppose someone could challenge the GOR before then, but we know there is one team super motivated to do it and they have not. And the majority of others would have to be motivated to leave / challenge too.

The ACC needs to be a fallback. They have not even mentioned us now with all the good that has happened for us this past year anyway. Our focus needs to be in getting to one of the others, no matter how small that chance might seem.

Reaction Score
Personally I'm sick and tired of waiting for an invite and being used by the Power 4 teams to add to their respective leagues. It's time for UConn and the Big East to get creative. This is what I would do.

First invite Gonzaga, Stanford, Cal, Washington St. and Oregon State to the Big East and put them in a West Division that includes: Creighton, DePaul, Marquette. The rest of the Big East is in a East Division. You play those teams in your own division twice and each of the other division once. Alternating home and away each year.

In football UConn, Stanford, Cal, Washington St. and Oregon State all agree to play each other once while they fill up the rest of their schedule with independents and buy games.

Next, you talk with Syracuse, Boston College and Pitt and tell them that when the ACC breaks apart and they are left high and dry that you will take them back. At the same time your talking to San Diego State and tell them that you have a spot waiting for them. Then you wait for the ACC to dissolve, take back the former Big East teams and add San Diego State. Move Xavier, Butler and San Diego State to the West Division and continue with the play 2 in your division format and play 1 in the other division.

Now you have 9 football teams that play each other once a year and fill your remaining schedule with buy games. Negotiate your own football TV deal.

I'm just saying it's better then just waiting around for something that is never going to come.
Does your plan still work of we leave out BC?

Let them join the Patriot League.

Reaction Score
I don't even know if we can make it as a top flight athletic program until 2036 with the meager amount of media money and lack of CFB playoff revenue we currently receive. Hence my opinion on that scenario, that to wait that long only to find the most desirable teams from the ACC are gone would put a stamp on it.

I suppose someone could challenge the GOR before then, but we know there is one team super motivated to do it and they have not. And the majority of others would have to be motivated to leave / challenge too.

The ACC needs to be a fallback. They have not even mentioned us now with all the good that has happened for us this past year anyway. Our focus needs to be in getting to one of the others, no matter how small that chance might seem.
A lot can change between now and 2036, UConn keeping the best product on all fields will help and I don’t see any reason they won’t be proactive. You can tell that we were with the way that they dealt with the big 12.
We won’t be sitting on our hands. How it all ends up is ultimately out of the schools control, but I still think the ACC leftovers if they include duke would not be “dying on the vine” as the pac currently is.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It doesn't go in the NIL pot. That's where we will need a lot of that donation to go in the future.
I'll go so far as to say it puts us further at a disadvantage due to NIL.

A school with better revenues can have boosters put money that previously would have gone directly to the school into NIL funds.

Reaction Score
It all goes in the pot.
And with most/almost all of our facilities upgrades done the money can be earmarked to coach salaries and other overhead. The message needs to go out to donors that we need to now have donations funneled into NIL so as to attract and pay the best athletes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'll go so far as to say it puts us further at a disadvantage due to NIL.

A school with better revenues can have boosters put money that previously would have gone directly to the school into NIL funds.

You are wrong on this, but I am tired of arguing. We need a new board for posters that have given up on UConn and are looking for a new school to root for.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You are wrong on this, but I am tired of arguing. We need a new board for posters that have given up on UConn and are looking for a new school to root for.
I love the way you argue, you try to support a point that you cannot defend so you accuse the other person of holding a position that is at a ridiculous extreme that has nothing to do with that person's position and then dismiss the idea of further discussion.

I understand your point about the future being dominated by streaming services. The thing is at the moment your argument is similar to someone in 1895 claiming that there is no reason to have a horse and buggy any longer due to automobiles. The environment that you are claiming is here already is at a minimum five years away, more likely ten years away.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I love the way you argue, you try to support a point that you cannot defend so you accuse the other person of holding a position that is at a ridiculous extreme that has nothing to do with that person's position and then dismiss the idea of further discussion.

I understand your point about the future being dominated by streaming services. The thing is at the moment your argument is similar to someone in 1895 claiming that there is no reason to have a horse and buggy any longer due to automobiles. The environment that you are claiming is here already is at a minimum five years away, more likely ten years away.

Streaming is a piece of the puzzle, not the whole puzzle. The Transfer Portal and NIL are potentially much more important in creating an opportunity for UConn.

The Transfer Portal and NIL have existed for two years, and in those two years, TCU made the CFP Championship game, and Florida Atlantic and SDSU made the Final Four. The argument that all the good players will end up on the top teams is just objectively a stupid argument and provably wrong. Forgive me if I do not take it more seriously.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Streaming is a piece of the puzzle, not the whole puzzle. The Transfer Portal and NIL are potentially much more important in creating an opportunity for UConn.

The Transfer Portal and NIL have existed for two years, and in those two years, TCU made the CFP Championship game, and Florida Atlantic and SDSU made the Final Four. The argument that all the good players will end up on the top teams is just objectively a stupid argument and provably wrong. Forgive me if I do not take it more seriously.
Please show me where I posted anything that even closely resembles "all good players will end up on the top teams".

Reaction Score
We do have some doomsdayers on this board

Reaction Score
Its like money is more important than winning championships…ask the big 10 fans how they can get all those teams in the ncca tournament… then lose those games to mid majors… they will never win in football against the southern schools… but they can sit at a table and pull out their media deals and empress some posters on this board

Reaction Score
Its like money is more important than winning championships…ask the big 10 fans how they can get all those teams in the ncca tournament… then lose those games to mid majors… they will never win in football against the southern schools… but they can sit at a table and pull out their media deals and empress some posters on this board
Big 10 fans understand it's more of a social event with traditions and pageantry than a legitimate athletic competition. It's basically just a fun time and a chance to be entertained for a few hours. The teams ultimately aren't going anywhere. They might as well be the Savannah Bananas of college football. The conference has one football championship since the turn of the century. UConn has a dozen basketball national championships since the Big 10's last one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom