• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Thread title is "Best UConn Game You've Been to.."

PRHusky shares his favorite and you try and you throw shade on him with "that was nothing", "you should have seen"?
Throw shade? I'm 45 years old and not sure i even know what that means. That being said, I was at the game he referenced and the games in Maui and Detroit had crowd disparities that were far greater than Houston in 2011. I apologize if that's considered "throwing shade" or offended your sensibilities.

Reaction Score
Basketball: West Virginia, XL Center 2011, great fun game, talked to a couple WVU fans as well, seemed very friendly, plus the ears were ringing tremendously, it was very loud

Wish I could've gone to: Nova 2006, before I was a poster here, I was a lurker, and from the sounds of it, this game was worth going to.

Football: Virginia 2008, Donald Brown running all over the place and Lorenzen redeeming himself, solid game

Wish I could've gone to: Cincy 2008, close throughout but we ended up blowing them out

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Only been going to games for a few years now, but I'll chime in.

Game day vs. Cuse at Gampel in 2012: what a game. Loudest I've heard either venue. When Shabazz hit Drummond for the lay in to tie the game, it was so loud I couldn't hear the student section doing the UConn chant over all the noise from the rest of the crowd. Too bad we couldn't pull it out.

West Virginia, BET, 2012: Shabazz willed us to victory. He had those two late steals and layups to bring us back. Then Jeremy Lamb hit a huge 3 in OT, and we hung on. Clinched our spot in the NCAAs, and gave us a bright spot in an otherwise disappointing season.

G'Town, 2013: Gampel was rocking. Shabazz hurt his foot, sat for a couple minutes, then came back in and gutted out the rest of the game. Gampel went nuts when Omar hit that huge 3, and if Giffey had hit that shot at the end of regulation, we would have torn Gampel to the ground.

Reaction Score
1) 3/29/99 The ultimate experience, and anyone who was there really should list this as #1
2) The regional final, 1999. Remembering that we had yet to reach a final four, this slugfest was absolutely painful to sit through, but at the end it was the most satisfying feeling I had ever had as a sports fan (until 8 days later).
3) The Kansas game after Kirk and Ricky's suspensions. Yes, we lost, but the building nearly fell apart from the noise in the first half.
4) Villanova at Gampel, 1996
5) The comeback against BC at the Civic Center in 2002

If I'm adding in football then the ND game goes in slot #3.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
1. UConn over Pitt, 2002 Big East Championship - Taliek with the 35-footer - MSG empties out and all the UConn fans move down for the trophy ceremony - crowd chants "One more year" to Caron

2. UConn over UW, 2006 Sweet 16 - bad memories from the next game but this one was awesome to watch - I moved down late in the game to center court, about 15 rows up - I watched with Georgetown fans, who afterward were like "our team never wins games like that" - little did I know how ugly the next game would be, but for that night it was awesome thinking, "Yeah, my team does win games like that..."

My buddy, a Cuse fan, asked me the day of the 6-OT game whether I wanted to go. I said no (I can't remember why), so neither of us went. About 3 OT's in, he texted me: "Yeah, good call. We didn't miss anything."

D

Deleted member 3149

1. UConn over Pitt, 2002 Big East Championship - Taliek with the 35-footer - MSG empties out and all the UConn fans move down for the trophy ceremony - crowd chants "One more year" to Caron

2. UConn over UW, 2006 Sweet 16 - bad memories from the next game but this one was awesome to watch - I moved down late in the game to center court, about 15 rows up - I watched with Georgetown fans, who afterward were like "our team never wins games like that" - little did I know how ugly the next game would be, but for that night it was awesome thinking, "Yeah, my team does win games like that..."

My buddy, a Cuse fan, asked me the day of the 6-OT game whether I wanted to go. I said no (I can't remember why), so neither of us went. About 3 OT's in, he texted me: "Yeah, good call. We didn't miss anything."

What'd he text you after the sixth?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
1) 1999 Final 4
2) 1999 Final 4
oh and did I mention the 1999 Final 4?

Reaction Score
surprised no one mentioned 2011 Pitt

I was't there but AZHuskie drove down to Tucson for the AZ game
we're Ben Gordon hit the big 3 pointer
the game was 100 to. 99
He was wearing a UConn Shirt
to win in on the road when your pretty much alone is special

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
3) The Kansas game after Kirk and Ricky's suspensions. Yes, we lost, but the building nearly fell apart from the noise in the first half.

You're not kidding - *that* game is my HCC noise benchmark. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Best UConn game, all sports?

UConn Football's win in South Bend.

I was at that game too....it was great and it was fun but it doesn't compare to the Top 10-20 basketball games!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That UConn Texas game was insane. Best moment from that game? Majok diving for the loose ball, passing to Dyson from the ground and then Dyson subsequently throwing the half court lob to Sticks for the alley-oop. Surprised those Patoni tiles didn't crumble down with how loud Gampel got.
Surely a lesser tile would have but not a Patoni.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
2006 Villanova at UConn at Gampel - WITHOUT A DOUBT the best game I've ever been to. We had just lost at Villanova a week or so before when we were #1 and they were #2. After the loss we flip-flopped in the rankings, but when they came to town we absolutely tooled on them. I couldn't speak for about 3 days after that game. Not to mention it was one of the last times I got to see my favorite UConn player of all times... Rashad "The Knife" Anderson.

Reaction Score
We've all been to many games, I'm sure. Which one would you call your all time favorite that YOU attended? 3 Categories here- personal favorite, runner up, and "I wish" category.

My personal favorite was- Being at the UConn vs. Texas game in 2010. Storming the court as a Senior in high school was something I'll never forget. My friends and I thought we were college kids for the day, and we cheered until we lost our voices.

I know I'm gonna get called out for being the "no fun police" but I went to that game too and while it was indeed awesome (as a huge Celtics fan as well, it was cool to see Avery Bradley play for Texas...and lose), the storming the court nonsense was...well...nonsense. UConn fans should never storm a court, let alone against a lame duck #1 Texas team that had already lost earlier in the week.

The Huskies weren't playing good basketball at that point though, so it was a huge win, so I sorta get it.

My favorite game I've been to was the 2011 Big East Championship game against Louisville. The whole building was for UConn pretty much, and somehow my seats ended up being in the middle of a ton of Cardinals fans. My girlfriend and I went back and forth with the Louisville fans the whole game, just berating each other. After the famous Kemba pass underneath to J Lamb I thought the building was gonna explode.

The train ride back to CT after the game was unforgettable too. Just a bunch of half in the bag UConn fans cheering the whole way.

Reaction Score
Two best games I've been to were the '02 and '04 BET title games. Even though '02's considered more of a classic (and I absolutely loved that team), I've always been partial to the '04 game, mainly because Pitt manhandled us after we had jumped out to a 13-2 lead, and when we were down 11 in the 2nd half, it felt like 30 and their fans had taken over MSG. Then Gordon came alive after a bad first half. And instead of nailing a 35-footer again, Taliek decided to airball a layup which was rebounded and kicked out for an open Rashad 3 that gave us the lead before more BG heroics at the end. That BET run was just as important to that team as five-in-five was to 2011.

Another fav that hasn't been mentioned was the win over St. John's in '99. They'd come off that classic OT loss to Duke the previous week. We trailed by 12 and Calhoun called his famous timeout where he didn't say a word and just stared in the huddle. Team responded with a 10-0 run to get within 2, 7-0 run to tie the game, then an 11-0 run to pull ahead for the win to get to 19-0.

Also enjoyed all 4 home wins vs Cuse as a student ('03-'06, all by 14+ pts), especially in '05 when both coaches were coming off their 700th wins and we ripped em apart in the 2nd half to get JC his 701st. Gerry McNamara shot roughly 9-652 combined in those games. The Cuse win this past year was awesome as well.

Games I wish I'd been at: the three Final Fours we won, JC's return from cancer in '03, Cardiac Kemba
Games I wish I hadn't been at: the one Final Four we lost, the BC game in '03 (worst loss ever in Gampel)

Reaction Score
Game I wished I went to: 2008 UConn vs Indiana at Assembly Hall less than 24 hours after suspending Dyson & Wiggins.

Reaction Score
I have never been able to see UConn live...Now that I'm going through a divorce this coming season I'm determined to go to a game most likely I'll catch them @ Cincinnati

Game I wish I went to was the 08 Indiana game I actually almost went to it but at the time I was an assistant coach of a High School team and we had a game that night so I chose not to skip my game.

Reaction Score
Worst game I have ever been to 2009 MSU and the best has to be 2011
Final four UConn-UK

Reaction Score
I have never been able to see UConn live...Now that I'm going through a divorce this coming season I'm determined to go to a game most likely I'll catch them @ Cincinnati

Game I wish I went to was the 08 Indiana game I actually almost went to it but at the time I was an assistant coach of a High School team and we had a game that night so I chose not to skip my game.

Welcome to the Boneyard hoosier - sorry to hear of your issues but looking at the bright side you get to see the Huskies live now......all good in the long run!!

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard hoosier - sorry to hear of your issues but looking at the bright side you get to see the Huskies live now......all good in the long run!!

Thanks....I've been a lurker on the boneyard for years not sure why i never posted more ....I'm going to be more active in the future.....Also development looks like I'm moving to the Louisville area so I could potentially see UConn @ Cincy and Louisville

Reaction Score
Thanks....I've been a lurker on the boneyard for years not sure why i never posted more ....I'm going to be more active in the future.....Also development looks like I'm moving to the Louisville area so I could potentially see UConn @ Cincy and Louisville

Hey not Louisville? LOL.......you'll need to ask upstater before you move, or if you want positive feedback check out Bobby's Ghost over on the Cardinal board!! All in fun.......

Reaction Score

Damn!....that game at IU.....I had planned a game viewing party at our house all season long and the night before, I hear about the suspensions. I'm thinking, "well this party is going to suck".....turned out to be a pretty fun afternoon!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom