Best UConn Game You've Been To... | The Boneyard

Best UConn Game You've Been To...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

We've all been to many games, I'm sure. Which one would you call your all time favorite that YOU attended? 3 Categories here- personal favorite, runner up, and "I wish" category.

My personal favorite was- Being at the UConn vs. Texas game in 2010. Storming the court as a Senior in high school was something I'll never forget. My friends and I thought we were college kids for the day, and we cheered until we lost our voices.

Runner up(s): Being at 2011 Final vs. Butler, Being at 2011 Big East Final vs. Louisville

I wish I was at... - The 6 OT game, or the Kemba step back game vs Pitt.

Reaction Score
1. Pitt v. UConn championship game at the BET in 2004
2. G'town v. UConn at BET in 1996
3. Syracuse v. UConn at the HCC in 1985 (UConn win 71-69 in final seconds)

I've only caught 6 NCAA games (Long Island, Washington DC, and Buffalo) and all of them were blowout wins. Have yet to see a tight NCAA game involving UConn.

I know many might not believe this, but that 1985 game was just as loud as any game I watched at HCC in the 1990s or 2000s.

I was at the BET for a couple more championship wins but the Pitt game in 2004 was the most dramatic because of the huge comeback (every Husky fan I knew was waiting for that comeback, much to the disbelief of Pitt fans, there was a quiet confidence in the crowd). The 1996 G'town game was star-studded.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
UConn v. Arizona at Gampel in 2000. Many of you probably remember that game. Tony Robertson's last second shot was called "goal tending". First court storming in school history.

To make the story even better, my friend and I were still in high school at the time, but we had some friends up at UConn, so we borrowed their student IDs and got access to the student section. It was a magical day at Gampel.

Reaction Score
1.) Uconn vs Texas in Austin 2011. Kemba's miracle shot, Jordan Hamilton got stuffed by the rim, Roscoe's heave

2.) Uconn vs Texas in 2009 or 2010 @ gampel. Loudest game I've ever been to

3.) Uconn vs Pitt @ XL in 2009. That was the game where Dejuan Blair hip-tossed Thabeet

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Probably not a crowd favorite on here, but the best I have been to was in South Florida when Austrie won it at the buzzer. I nearly fell down the stairs as I had an aisle seat and was going nuts.

I was also in Tampa for the Teggart game winner that put us in the BCS. Not basketball, but probably my best UConn moment live and in person.

Reaction Score
That UConn Texas game was insane. Best moment from that game? Majok diving for the loose ball, passing to Dyson from the ground and then Dyson subsequently throwing the half court lob to Sticks for the alley-oop. Surprised those Patoni tiles didn't crumble down with how loud Gampel got.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
1a - 1999 Final - with front row seats, none the less
1b - The football win @ ND. Yes, it was that special for me

2 - Too many to count. 95-96 Nova snow game? 96 BET final? 98 win over Washington?

3 - Easy - the Texas Gampel game.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
1999 Championship game vs. Duke my junior year -- none other like that -- was surreal. I can't even explain it.

My most exhilarating moment at Gampel was Feb 2000 vs. West Virginia where Khalid ran the full length of the court and scored the game winning buzzer beater lay up. The entire place gasped and then erupted -- it was great.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
heh - I was at that game, too. Indeed, a fun one.

Reaction Score
My personal favorite was- vs. Dook Final Four semi's win in 2004, made a year of planning worthwhile, beat Dook in dramatic fashion

Runner up(s): A LOT. Chronologically: Very first game 1983, Calhoun's first Midnight Madness practice in 86, At WVU 1st game of 88 NIT run, Field House NIT game, NIT Final over OhSt, Vs Syracuse & GTown regular season 1990, BE Championship 1990 (prob #1 runner up - stormed the court), 2 x 1990 NCAA games in Hartford, Gampel opener vs. St. John's, Gampel vs. Zona and Texas, NCAA regional W over Washington, various other BET games etc...

I wish I was at... - 1999 Final Four is #1, had just started a new job that week and couldn't take the time off. #2 is almost went to "the shot" game, but decided to save thunder for the regional final (good game but..)

Reaction Score
1. 1999 Championship game. Game was played at a high level. UConn was a huge underdog. First NC after so many years getting close. Nothing will ever top that for me.

2. Semi Final game in San Antonio in 2004 against Dook. Go up early. Emeka sits. Give back the lead and more. Dook up 8 with less than 3 minutes left. I'm sitting there wondering what the heck I'm going to do the rest of the 2 days in San Antonio. And then Rashad hits the 3 and Emeka takes over. Great win and left the building sky high as we gave all the Dook fans hell.

3. A weird one but probably the UMass game when they erased a 25 point 2nd half deficit. 9 points in the 1st half and then outscore UMass 50-18 in the 2nd half. Kind of like the feeling going from despair to a win like that.

I was out in Michigan in grad school during the dream season but if I were in Connecticut then the Syracuse and Georgetown games that year probably would have been on the list.

Reaction Score
1. 1999 Championship game. Game was played at a high level. UConn was a huge underdog. First NC after so many years getting close. Nothing will ever top that for me.

2. Semi Final game in San Antonio in 2004 against Dook. Go up early. Emeka sits. Give back the lead and more. Dook up 8 with less than 3 minutes left. I'm sitting there wondering what the heck I'm going to do the rest of the 2 days in San Antonio. And then Rashad hits the 3 and Emeka takes over. Great win and left the building sky high as we gave all the Dook fans hell.

3. A weird one but probably the UMass game when they erased a 25 point 2nd half deficit. 9 points in the 1st half and then outscore UMass 50-18 in the 2nd half. Kind of like the feeling going from despair to a win like that.

I was out in Michigan in grad school during the dream season but if I were in Connecticut then the Syracuse and Georgetown games that year probably would have been on the list.

Hooper - I heard you had real nice seats for the UMass game. ;) And yes, I would put that in my top 5 after 24 years of season tix.

Reaction Score
Hooper - I heard you had real nice seats for the UMass game. ;) And yes, I would put that in my top 5 after 24 years of season tix.
Yup, they were nice seats. Of course at halftime you told me that was the last time I was ever getting them! :)

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
No way am I going to be able to only list 2.

Winner:

1) 2011 Semi's/NC game. I watched it on the floor. High fived Kemba's mom and a parade of UConn greats. Married my wife in June. Best year of my life.

Runner Ups:

2) The FIRST half of the blizzard game vs. Pitt back in 03? Nobody could make the game so Gampel was packed full of students. Seeing the whole arena jumping and screaming like our student section usually does was awesome. Will forever hate Chevy Troutman for going nuts in the 2nd half and ruining the perfect crowd.
3) TRob vs. BC. One of my most beloved huskies dunking himself out of a funk still gives me goosebumps.
4) As mentioned by others, Shad vs. Umass where the score was 33-9 at halftime or something ridiculous. I still have a "3" sign from this game with the halftime score written on it somewhere.
5) The OU stomping at Gampel highlighted by Taliek's and-1 high dribble pass.
6) Cuse at the Civy last year.

Other stand outs:
Kemba's tear drop vs. nova. The comebacks that fell short against Cuse (2 years ago) and Gtown (last year). And for some reason a game against a Chris Thomas led ND squad at the civy is standing out to me as special.

The one that got away:

Ray vs. AI at the garden in 96. I was in 8th grade. My dad and I went to every game of that BET but we went back to CT on that Saturday so that I could compete in a Math competition. I haven't forgiven my father for allowing us to make that decision to this day.

Reaction Score
UConn 66, Syracuse 58.

I've been to Big East championship games. Big East showdowns when we were No. 1 in the land. NCAA tourney games on the way to banners being raised. And was lucky enough to sit in the front row of the student section when UConn took down No. 1 Arizona my freshman year in Storrs.

But nothing meant more than walking out of the Civy after the W that ensured Syracuse would leave the Big East with a bad taste of UConn in its mouth, announced to the nation that the demise of UConn had been greatly exaggerated and forced the whole state to put ten toes in for KO.

I wish I was at: Ramstein.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I was out in Michigan in grad school during the dream season but if I were in Connecticut then the...Georgetown games that year probably would have been on the list.

Those are my Top 3. UConn fans dominated the Trop on that night. The best you could say about Duke fans was that they followed up every UCONN cheer with a usuck cheer. But they just reflected their team that night, reactive not proactive.

Reaction Score
Somewhat OT - football.

USF in the blizzard at the Rent. Teggart. 'Nuff said.

Reaction Score
1. Texas in 2010, place was deafening when Sticks threw down that oop.

2. 2011 Big East Championship v. Louisville

Reaction Score
Ben Gordon's annihilation of umess at the HCC. Ben was at his best and went off that game (couldn't miss) and destroyed any chances of us playing them again. He to me was exciting to watch as any other player we've had (when he was hot). Every scout there had him in the NBA.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
2011 big east title game vs Louisville then 2010 vs Texas coming in a close 2nd.

Reaction Score
1. 2004 Big East Championship
2. Maui Championship vs UK
3. Vs. #1 Kansas in 1997 (Uconn loss) without King & Moore. Place was electric.
3b. Texas 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc