Best Player in the Country | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Player in the Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm still going with Chiney!

Breanna can clean it up the next two years!
The best player in the country is THE BEST PLAYER IN THE COUNTRY. It isn't the "best upper classman in the country" award and so the award shouldn't go to Chiney because she's a senior. It shouldn't be affected because Breanna has two more chances to get the award or if Breanna was a freshman and had three more chances to win it. It should go to Chiney if they think she's the best player in the country. Anything else is silliness. The same would go for Sims if they actually thought she is the best player in the country. To dismiss Breanna winning it because she's going to have more opportunities is to take away completely what the award is meant to show, the best player playing college basketball in the women's ranks.

Reaction Score
You may be right about the next two years- but with a Diamond DeShields, and some crazy minor potential nagging injury to Stewie , like the season KML has had- and everything is not as gtd as we may think it is. Chiney is awesome and seams like she would be a great teammate. I just think it's Odyssey.
Odyssey has a phenomenal freshman on her team along with a pretty good supporting class while I don't think Chiney's supporting casts talent level is nearly as good. As a result, if you keep the award out of Breanna's hands, I'd probably be inclined to give it to Chiney.

Reaction Score
I totally disagree that if Baylor goes down to NDame Sims doesn't deserve it. ND has 7 seasoned regulars that have been to the final four and the best new freshman point guard in the country- that doesn't seam fair.
I don't think she deserves it at all. Almost forty per cent of her points came at the FT line. She won't get that preferential treatment in the WNBA.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But you're talking about a team she basically had to be shamed into coming back to before skipping off as soon as the NC was in the bag. But at least she didn't do anything to get in the way of the path to the championship.
Never the less.

Reaction Score
Stewart may be penalized simply because she has a tremendous amount of talent around her. Chiney and Odyssey both have had to carry their teams and may be rewarded for that. Their rolls have certainly been much more demanding than Stewart's. Stewart is in a position where she just goes out and plays her game and is not in the leadership role that Sims and Chiney are.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Reaction Score
It is really splitting hairs- all three do what their respective teams need them to do to win. And I know Stewie could score 30,a night if we wanted or needed her to.
I think the voting will be close.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Stewart should win because she's a freak (meant in the sports complement sense.) The others a worthy, but Stewart's just phenomenal.

IMHO, of course.

Reaction Score
There are a couple of NPOY awards out there. I hope Breanna "at least" wins the Wade. And if she doesn't win anything, I hope she goes after the Final Four like Vince Young did the 2006 Rose Bowl after being robbed of the Heisman.

No one is going to get robbed of anything. All the players mentioned for NPOY and the Wade are all very deserving. Stewie will get many awards and NCs in her career.

Reaction Score
What "roll" is that? To carry a team to a 2 seed? Stewie has been the best player on the #1 overall seed in the country.

are you serious Alex? Stewie has a ton of talent around her and I bet UConn would still be a 1 seed without her. Stanford would be a 8 seed, if lucky, without Chiney. Chiney gets double and tripled team every night, Stewie is great player but if teams double and tripled teamed her, UConn would win by more.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
cardfan said:
are you serious Alex? Stewie has a ton of talent around her and I bet UConn would still be a 1 seed without her. Stanford would be a 8 seed, if lucky, without Chiney. Chiney gets double and tripled team every night, Stewie is great player but if teams double and tripled teamed her, UConn would win by more.
. Quality of teammates is irrelevant. The award is for the best player in the country. Stewie has proved she is that. Depriving her, and indeed, robbing her, of an award because her teammates are good is just stupid. Yes, she has talented teammates. And she's far and away the best player on that team. She could enter the WNBA draft this year, and she would be #1, ahead of Sims and Chiney.

Speculating how bad Stanford (or Baylor) would be without their best players and how good uconn would be without its best player is just that- speculation. Notwithstanding any of that, Stewie has been the best player on the best team. She was usually POG against top competition.

In 1993-94, we saw how good the Bulls were without Michael Jordan. No NBA championship was in the cards, but they were a very good team that flirted with contending for all the marbles. But with Jordan, they were obviously better. That 1993-94 season highlighted how good Scottie Pippen was. It didn't diminish one iota how good Jordan was.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Player of the Year...it doesn't say "Most Talented Player." There are many qualities that go into being the player of the year, one of which is team leadership. Has Stewart been asked to lead a team of inexperienced players FAR beyond the expectations of basically everyone in WCBB? We are not only talking about on the court, we are talking about being the team leader off the court, and basically being a second coach on the court.

Like I said, Stewart is the most talented player in the country, but does that may her the POY? Maybe...maybe not. It depends on how the voters view the award and if it is a talent-based only award.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What "roll" is that? To carry a team to a 2 seed? Stewie has been the best player on the #1 overall seed in the country.

LOL...that's hole I "roll."

You may dismiss the extra effort required of Sims and Chiney but I suspect that many voters will not. I agree that Stewart is the moste talented player in the country, but Chiney and Sims simply have a much bigger task every time they hit the floor than does Stewart. I am not sure if Stewart and Chiney switched teams today that Stewart could put up the same type of numbers that Chiney is.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Player of the Year...it doesn't say "Most Talented Player." There are many qualities that go into being the player of the year, one of which is team leadership. Has Stewart been asked to lead a team of inexperienced players FAR beyond the expectations of basically everyone in WCBB? We are not only talking about on the court, we are talking about being the team leader off the court, and basically being a second coach on the court.

Like I said, Stewart is the most talented player in the country, but does that may her the POY? Maybe...maybe not. It depends on how the voters view the award and if it is a talent-based only award.
Funny, I looked up the award and it doesn't say anything about leadership, on or off the court.

Didn't see a thing about the players they played with.

Maybe it's just for the best player? That's Stewart.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I am not sure if Stewart and Chiney switched teams today that Stewart could put up the same type of numbers that Chiney is.

Why? You think Chiney is so much better that Stewart couldn't handle the double teaming?

With her outside game and better passing ability, Her stats would be just as good if you player her the same minutes and Stewart had to take as many shots as Chiney.

Ridiculous statement.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm just guessing here, but I just don't think that if you switched Stewie and Sims that the Bears would lose to Kansas by 16, or that if you switched Stewie and Chiney that the Cardinal could lose to Washington by anything. She might not be pulling down enough offensive rebounds to satisfy either Kim or Tara on those teams either, but they would win.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
And it is Player of the Year, not Most Valuable Player.
Icebear- player of the year- I guess I would have to agree with Stewart then. I think Odyssey and then Chiney would be 1st and 2nd for MVP awards. I really wasn't taking into account the distinction.

Reaction Score
BTW did you notice Carolyn wearing Orange yesterday.

Absolutely. Ms Peck should be banned from wearing ANY team's colors.
I think that leaves fuchsia and chartreuse. In pinstripe.

Reaction Score
For Ms Peck whichever is the game she does got the best player. When she did earlyer in the year a UConn game, her choice for player of the year was Stewie, she was doing a Baylor game so it's Sims and if she'll do a Stanford game it will be CO...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The more I watch the Huskies, the more I think we have a difference-maker who may be the best player her size that I have ever seen. I understand why Moriah was the highest-rated PG in the history of HoopGurlz rankings. When she drains threes, it is just ridiculous. She changes the tempo and takes over games in her own way.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The hypothetical of a Stewie-for-Chiney "trade" is interesting, especially given that Chiney might have come to UConn if left to make her own decision. But I'm not sure that Stewie's game, without Geno's coaching, would be as diverse as it is (particularly the assist total this year, totally different from last year). And I think Chiney would have a more developed perimeter game to go with her inside game, including more assists than she has.

One thing I'm sure about: if that had happened, the vast majority of posters on this board would be saying that Chiney is clearly the Player of the Year this year.

Reaction Score
. Quality of teammates is irrelevant. The award is for the best player in the country. Stewie has proved she is that. Depriving her, and indeed, robbing her, of an award because her teammates are good is just stupid. Yes, she has talented teammates. And she's far and away the best player on that team. She could enter the WNBA draft this year, and she would be #1, ahead of Sims and Chiney.

Speculating how bad Stanford (or Baylor) would be without their best players and how good uconn would be without its best player is just that- speculation. Notwithstanding any of that, Stewie has been the best player on the best team. She was usually POG against top competition.

In 1993-94, we saw how good the Bulls were without Michael Jordan. No NBA championship was in the cards, but they were a very good team that flirted with contending for all the marbles. But with Jordan, they were obviously better. That 1993-94 season highlighted how good Scottie Pippen was. It didn't diminish one iota how good Jordan was.

Right, not having talented players on the floor doesn't make another talented player's job easier. Come on Alex, you are smarter than that. NPOY is the not NPOY on the best team. That is just stupid. Your comments are just as speculative.

Reaction Score
The hypothetical of a Stewie-for-Chiney "trade" is interesting, especially given that Chiney might have come to UConn if left to make her own decision. But I'm not sure that Stewie's game, without Geno's coaching, would be as diverse as it is (particularly the assist total this year, totally different from last year). And I think Chiney would have a more developed perimeter game to go with her inside game, including more assists than she has.

One thing I'm sure about: if that had happened, the vast majority of posters on this board would be saying that Chiney is clearly the Player of the Year this year.

wth? I'm not sure what you are talking about Chiney's decision, but she always wanted to come to Stanford for the combination of top academics and bball.

Obviously, you haven't seen Chiney play all 4 years to see her game develop. If you move her to the perimeter, like Stewie plays, we have no other posts like you do. You cannot compare the players without comparing their support. Yeah, I know it's your board and all, and some UConn fans can be pretty arrogant, but that is one of the most arrogant posts I've read. Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom