OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 42 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Listing a Cumberland Farms pizza on this thread is the most stupid comment I have seen in all the 32 pages I scoured this week. And yes, it's behind the discussion of english muffins with tomato sauce.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Okay I was going to keep quiet, but when someone compares Greek Pizza to Jim Boeheim, I draw the line.

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I was born and raised on Greek style pizza and love it. I don't quite get all the haters but I do have a theory that folks typically like to think their hometown pizza as the best. As a former resident of Windham County, I can attest family and friends love the stuff and even have it shipped across the country to other former residents.

Yelp has 4.5 stars to Tony's pizza in Willimantic: http://www.yelp.com/biz/tonys-pizza-Willimantic, so obviously there are plenty of fans.

Perhaps this read can help explain some of the hatred:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...ke-new-england-greek-style-pizza-at-home.html
To quote the author of the article: "There's a good reason why Greek pizza, a style found mostly in the "Pizza Houses" and "Houses of Pizza" in New England is not more popular, and the reason is this: It's not very good. Ok, let me modify that statement. It's usually not very good."

I particularly like the graph in the article explaining how difficult it is to make a good greek pizza compared to other styles.

Don't get me wrong, I like Neapolitan and NY styles as well, but I prefer a good Greek Pizza.

I'm not trying to be a pizza snob. I just know what I like better. In a pinch, Greek pizza does the job. It can lay down the bunt, hit behind the runner, and make all the routine defensive plays. It will probably not make the All Star team (at least on the Fans' vote) and has almost no shot (only because I don't like to work in absolutes) at the Hall of Fame.

Let's break it down Dr. Jack-Style (Incidentally, why doesn't Simmons do this anymore? I don't begrudge anyone their success, but he is far less entertaining at this point, and as always in my own little world, it's all about me... :D).

The Pan: Greek pizza is baked in a pan. Some places remove it from the pan just before it's done to make sure the dough is cooked through but a great many more do not and grease gets trapped on top of the pizza, making it sogging and giving it an unfinished texture. Obviously I think the former is better than the latter. Apizza is typically cooked right on the oven base, which chars the crust in certain spots (Greek proponents call this burnt, but that is simply not the case.).

The Crust: The crust is supposed to be merely a mode of transfer from the plate to the senses. Greek style tends to be thicker, which is fine, but with that it should better have a pleasingly distinctive taste. Typically, it does not. It tastes like cooking lard and flour, and tends to be bland and overpowering to the other flavors. Italian pizzas are often stretched over a flour and cornmeal mix. Not as greasy and not as heavy.

The Sauce: Greek sauce is thicker, not Bolognese thick, but a little to thick for my liking on a pizza. Pizza sauce should be have slightly more than a marinara consistency and be spicy. Oregano, basil, garlic, and onion should be as prominent as the tomato with and a hint of crushed red pepper. IMO, Greek pizza is all tomato all the time.

The Cheese: Greek = Mozz and Mild Cheddar. Italian: Mozz + Parmesan + Romano, seasoned with oregano (Personal preference: The more oregano, the better). The pan and crust thickness do a disservice to the cheese on the Greek pizza too. The lack of heat coming from the bottom tends to under cook the cheese.

That said I enjoyed your reference article. Unfortunately, other than the pizza cooked in the cast iron pan at the end, the rest of the pix look like the pizza was just removed from a Papa Johns box...and don't even let me start on conveyor system cooked pizzas.;)

Reaction Score
Haven't been there since the early 90's, but I do remember many good meals at Tony's. And I have to admit that I did always enjoy their meatball and tomato pie, but I attribute that mostly to the meatballs, which were sliced into discs (the way I like them on a pizza) and were surprisingly good.

Always lots of cops and hookers there, too.

Yes, Grinder meatballs on pizza are excellent at Tony's. I don't know about the hooker and crime situation present day in Willimantic, but I think things have gotten somewhat better. Although I hear there are areas to avoid. I only visit once or twice a year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Okay I was going to keep quiet, but when someone compares Greek Pizza to Jim Boeheim, I draw the line.

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I was born and raised on Greek style pizza and love it. I don't quite get all the haters but I do have a theory that folks typically like to think their hometown pizza as the best. As a former resident of Windham County, I can attest family and friends love the stuff and even have it shipped across the country to other former residents.

Yelp has 4.5 stars to Tony's pizza in Willimantic: http://www.yelp.com/biz/tonys-pizza-Willimantic, so obviously there are plenty of fans.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...ke-new-england-greek-style-pizza-at-home.html
To quote the author of the article: "There's a good reason why Greek pizza, a style found mostly in the "Pizza Houses" and "Houses of Pizza" in New England is not more popular, and the reason is this: It's not very good. Ok, let me modify that statement. It's usually not very good."

I particularly like the graph in the article explaining how difficult it is to make a good greek pizza compared to other styles.

Don't get me wrong, I like Neapolitan and NY styles as well, but I prefer a good Greek Pizza.

TL;DR

Discounted rest of content at the mention of "Greek" ;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
You can take Greek home. It stays hot 15 min later. Others you must eat in the restaurant or your car?!
And you burn the roof of your mouth...;)

That aside, if you pop Italian pizza in the toaster oven, it's perfect in 5 minutes. You pop a Greek slice in the toaster over and not only is it still soggy, but you have to clean the cheese off the burners, lest ye prefer a grease fire in your kitchen.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
And you burn the roof of your mouth...;)

That aside, if you pop Italian pizza in the toaster oven, it's perfect in 5 minutes. You pop a Greek slice in the toaster over and not only is it still soggy, but you have to clean the cheese off the burners, lest ye prefer a grease fire in your kitchen.

I love Greek style pizza. But truer words were never spoken. You cannot reheat it.

For great Greek pizza you cannot beat Jordans pizza in Norwalk. I also really like Town and Country in New Britain.

Reaction Score
georges pizza/ olive bar in unionville is a solid greek pizza spot. been there forever

Husky25

Reaction Score
I forgot to add table condiments.

Not all of them mind you, but at Greek houses, pizza tends to be, "Take it as it's served (accentuating the blandness, IMO.)."
Italian Pizzerias make garlic power, oregano, grated parmesan, and crushed red pepper available.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be a pizza snob. I just know what I like better. In a pinch, Greek pizza does the job. It can lay down the bunt, hit behind the runner, and make all the routine defensive plays. It will probably not make the All Star team (at least on the Fans' vote) and has almost no shot (only because I don't like to work in absolutes) at the Hall of Fame.

Let's break it down Dr. Jack-Style (Incidentally, why doesn't Simmons do this anymore? I don't begrudge anyone their success, but he is far less entertaining at this point, and as always in my own little world, it's all about me... :D).

The Pan: Greek pizza is baked in a pan. Some places remove it from the pan just before it's done to make sure the dough is cooked through but a great many more do not and grease gets trapped on top of the pizza, making it sogging and giving it an unfinished texture. Obviously I think the former is better than the latter. Apizza is typically cooked right on the oven base, which chars the crust in certain spots (Greek proponents call this burnt, but that is simply not the case.).

The Crust: The crust is supposed to be merely a mode of transfer from the plate to the senses. Greek style tends to be thicker, which is fine, but with that it should better have a pleasingly distinctive taste. Typically, it does not. It tastes like cooking lard and flour, and tends to be bland and overpowering to the other flavors. Italian pizzas are often stretched over a flour and cornmeal mix. Not as greasy and not as heavy.

The Sauce: Greek sauce is thicker, not Bolognese thick, but a little to thick for my liking on a pizza. Pizza sauce should be have slightly more than a marinara consistency and be spicy. Oregano, basil, garlic, and onion should be as prominent as the tomato with and a hint of crushed red pepper. IMO, Greek pizza is all tomato all the time.

The Cheese: Greek = Mozz and Mild Cheddar. Italian: Mozz + Parmesan + Romano, seasoned with oregano (Personal preference: The more oregano, the better). The pan and crust thickness do a disservice to the cheese on the Greek pizza too. The lack of heat coming from the bottom tends to under cook the cheese.

That said I enjoyed your reference article. Unfortunately, other than the pizza cooked in the cast iron pan at the end, the rest of the pix look like the pizza was just removed from a Papa Johns box...and don't even let me start on conveyor system cooked pizzas.;)

Thanks for taking the time to read the reference article. I found it pretty informative and have had good success with making homemade pizza with that recipe. Two key takeaways as far as the ingredients for Greek Style: white sharp cheddar cheese (although I like the flavor, I admit this is a large contributor to the greasiness of the pizza due to the high fat content); and lots of oregano in the sauce. As a side note, I have used the Greek ingredients sans olive oil in the dough and made some pretty good apizza style using my pizza stone on my weber grill, which I can fire up to 650 degrees on a hot day.

You are correct in the pan/crust cooking process; since the pan is greased with olive oil, ideally what you want is almost a fried dough (and who doesn't like fried dough?!) texture to the crust, giving you a nice crunch. Many times Greek pizza crust gets overwhelmed with the sauce and grease from the cheddar and becomes soggy. Like the article indicates, it's not easy to make a good Greek pizza. Because the dough is essentially fried, it doesn't make for the best left over pizza, especially heated. I usually eat any type of left over pizza cold anyway.

Reaction Score
Listing a Cumberland Farms pizza on this thread is the most stupid comment I have seen in all the 32 pages I scoured this week. And yes, it's behind the discussion of english muffins with tomato sauce.

Did I say that Cumberland Farms pizza should be considered with ANY of the pizza places on this list. Simply commented that its surprisingly good for what is it and nothing more. If you're out and about at 4am for whatever reason and have a hankering fro a slice or pie, then Cumberland Farms can provide you with a pretty decent pie. That's all. Not to be considered with the best on this list.

A lot of Douchey Smart Ass Know it All Big Mouths on this board.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Did I say that Cumberland Farms pizza should be considered with ANY of the pizza places on this list. Simply commented that its surprisingly good for what is it and nothing more. If you're out and about at 4am for whatever reason and have a hankering fro a slice or pie, then Cumberland Farms can provide you with a pretty decent pie. That's all. Not to be considered with the best on this list.

Don't you listen to Herm Edwards? Nothing good happen after midnight, least of all re-animated frozen pizza from Cumbys.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Don't you listen to Herm Edwards? Nothing good happen after midnight, least of all re-animated frozen pizza from Cumbys.

Not true. a 3AM Falafel or Shawarma from Mamouns is the stuff good dreams are made of.

Reaction Score
For the best Greek Style pizza you must try Max Pizza in Bristol (Forestville). Always voted as the best pizza in the area. The place has been there for almost 40 years and has a devoted following. If you ever stop in, try the meatball pizza. It is awesome!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not true. a 3AM Falafel or Shawarma from Mamouns is the stuff good dreams are made of.
So long as you buy it at 11:59 and eat it at home...or if you are a morning radio disc jockey and you are waking up for work at 3AM, but me thinks that's not to what you be referrin'.;)

Reaction Score

Ah, found memories is scraping change together from pockets, couches, etc. to have enough money to get a pizza from Dominos or Gumby's in Storrs at 1 AM after a marathon session of drunk Sega football during the middle of a snowstorm in February. No recollection of what it tasted like, which is likely a good thing.

Reaction Score

No. It's not a "pretty decent pie". At any time of the day or night. It's garbage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gotta admit, the strident defense of Cumberland Farms pizza got me curious, so I googled and found, to FASTEDDY's defense, that they apparently have made great strides very recently:

http://www.cspnet.com/print/csp-magazine/article/mystery-shop-part-1-team?page=0,4
The importance of foodservice is all the more apparent when you walk into newer stores, which dedicate substantial square footage and in-store advertising to a foodservice program that now includes a full-scale pizza program and made-to-order sandwiches.

I'm not running out to grab a slice there, but it does look like they are doing something different now than what I would have expected from Cumberland Farms.

Reaction Score
Gotta admit, the strident defense of Cumberland Farms pizza got me curious, so I googled and found, to FASTEDDY's defense, that they apparently have made great strides very recently:

http://www.cspnet.com/print/csp-magazine/article/mystery-shop-part-1-team?page=0,4

I'm not running out to grab a slice there, but it does look like they are doing something different now than what I would have expected from Cumberland Farms.

Thank You.

That all I'm saying. Cumby's provides a pretty decent pie, on the cheap, and whenever you need it, when all other places are closed (such as late at night or early AM). Its the best pizza that I am aware of that you can get hot out of the oven in the early AM when you have the Pizza Munchies. That's its. Not trying to compare it to Pepe's, BAR, Buffalino's, Zuppardi's or any of the other top level shops.

To unequivocally state that Cumby's pie is complete garbage is foolish and incorrect. End of story.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Thank You.

That all I'm saying. Cumby's provides a pretty decent pie, on the cheap, and whenever you need it, when all other places are closed (such as late at night or early AM). Its the best pizza that I am aware of that you can get hot out of the oven in the early AM when you have the Pizza Munchies. That's its. Not trying to compare it to Pepe's, BAR, Buffalino's, Zuppardi's or any of the other top level shops.

To unequivocally state that Cumby's pie is complete garbage is foolish and incorrect. End of story.
Just like the climate debate, there are always a few scientists in the sea of thousands who prevent consensus...

You know how the USDA determined that Taco Bell cannot call it's taco meat, "Beef?" That is similar to calling what Cumbys offers. It may not be the Pink Slime of Pizza but it is not US Standard either (let alone Choice or Prime).

I'm not normally a, "get off my lawn," type of guy and generally I live and let live so long as it doesn't affect others, but my advice for when you have the pizza munchies at 3 a.m. (beyond being better prepared for your night of debauchery) is either 1) to go to sleep; or 2) find something else. You're not going to care about the taste until morning anyway. Wee hour munchies typically accompany the consumption of perception altering substances (legal and illicit alike), and unless one is willing to wait an hour for a cab, one (or his/her associates) is probably not in any condition to operate an aerosol can as directed much less a motor vehicle.

I know. I've been there. :oops:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We have one of those newfangled Cumby's in our town. My kids are keen on their milkshakes but I've never walked in the door yet. I feel compelled in the name of research to check this pizza out. But it will not be at 3 a.m.

Reaction Score

Greek pizza is fine for me as well. For many years beginning while I was a UConn student I was a regular at the above referenced Tony's Pizza in Willimantic. I spent many wonderful late Friday nights there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom