OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 40 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I have never been to the NH pizza places but when a Clam Pizza is named the best pizza I say who eats clam pizzas? It may be good but to compare it to pizza statewide? Geez..who has the best pepperoni pizza? Who makes the best bread less clam pizza with a little milk and potato added? hehe
Had some white clam last night. Along with a pepperoni and a plain (with mozz.). Deliciouso!. Clam is an authentic variety going back many decades if not centuries, unlike the California or artisan pies, but it is certainly not what NH pizza is limited to. I grew up in the area and was shocked to learn the garbage the rest of you were eating when I went to UCONN and later moved to Fl..

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Had some white clam last night. Along with a pepperoni and a plain (with mozz.). Deliciouso!. Clam is an authentic variety going back many decades if not centuries, unlike the California or artisan pies, but it is certainly not what NH pizza is limited to. I grew up in the area and was shocked to learn the garbage the rest of you were eating when I went to UCONN and later moved to Fl..
one man's garbage is another's treasure (filet)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
http://www.niaf.org/culture/statistics/states-with-the-highest-population -of-italian-americans/

NY & NJ have over a million Italian-Americans and a pretty high percentage.
CT has over 634,000 of us, but at a higher percentage (18.6%)
RI has less than 200,000 Italian-Americans but it is 19% of their population.

Big Ern is right. RI's percentage is 0.4% higher than CT's even with less than 1/3 of the Italian-Americans of CT.
But big Ern seems to not have a clue as to what great pizza tastes like. Every poll, rating, book on pizza puts Wooster Street at or near the top.
Correct, but a much higher amount of RI Italian-Americans are incarcerated, so should not be included.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Rhode Island is, in fact, the most Italian state in the country by percentage.

As far as their pizza goes, it's like anything else, you gotta know where to look and it's a matter of taste. Some of the more hallowed New Haven pizza spots are, in my personal estimation, trash.
I'm curious which of the more hallowed New Haven pizza spots are, in your personal estimation, trash.

I love Rhode Island for its shoreline, clam chowder and absolute lack of pretense. But there is a reason for the lack of pretense: a corresponding lack of culture and sophistication. These are people who pride themselves on clam fritters--yes, farking clams in a donut. And its "pizza" is the only form lower on the pizza food chain than Greek pizza. Cold, sugary dough on a baking sheet with corn syrup-based red sauce on top. If you're lucky, there's a piece of wax paper hovering over the top to keep the flies off of it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
one man's garbage is another's treasure (filet)

Yes and everyone gets a trophy. But I have noticed that the rest of you eat far better pizza now than you did a few decades ago. The arc of pizza history bends toward New Haven-like pizza. It is an absolute, not relativeism. :cool:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yes and everyone gets a trophy. But I have noticed that the rest of you eat far better pizza now than you did a few decades ago. The arc of pizza history bends toward New Haven-like pizza. It is an absolute, not relativeism. :cool:
This is like when New Yorker's say their pizza is the best. 99% of it is absolute trash, floppy and greasy and bigger than your legs. Pizza is an art, not some creation a bunch of street vendors and mock-off restaurants sell.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw the Lyle Lovett/John Hiatt acoustic show last night at the recently renovated and reopened College Street Music Hall (nee The Palace, in New Haven). Pizza was a major theme/running joke throughout. They came out with a large Pepe's box and one other (could have been Sally's--it was generic) and Lyle introduced Hiatt, whom he announced was "playing for Team Pepe's." He then explained that they each shared the same manager at one point, who had turned them on to and schooled them in New Haven pizza.

Hiatt praised the Pepe's white clam pie he had before the show, and Lyle in particular was very well-versed in the competition. He acknowledged Sally's and Modern but said they've never felt the need to stray from Pepe's.

They kept the pizza boxes front and center as props and made frequent reference to New Haven pizza. Hiatt later referenced Pepe's as the favorite again, and the crowd overwhelmingly responded with cries of "Modern," much to his surprise. He looked at Lyle like WTF? and said "Are you hearing this?" Lyle explained that Modern is well-loved and it was no surprise to him, as New Haven takes its pizza very seriously and is the pizza epicenter of the world, with "Modern" simply being the most recent entry--at the turn of the 20th century...

Good stuff. Great show btw. And the sound in the new theater is stellar (not a bad beer selection, either...).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have never been to the NH pizza places but when a Clam Pizza is named the best pizza I say who eats clam pizzas? It may be good but to compare it to pizza statewide? Geez..who has the best pepperoni pizza? Who makes the best bread less clam pizza with a little milk and potato added? hehe

Back when I lived in CT, I took my then FIL to Pepe's. He was a respected journalist from Milwaukee and a true brats, cheese and beer guy. When he saw a clam pizza on the menu he was dubious, having never heard of such an abomination. And then when I ordered one for both of us, he was concerned. And an hour later he was sated and proclaiming he'd visited nirvana.

So to the question of who eats clam pizza... well, anyone without a seafood allergy and a limited palate ought to experience it at least once.

Reaction Score
storrsroars said:
Back when I lived in CT, I took my then FIL to Pepe's. He was a respected journalist from Milwaukee and a true brats, cheese and beer guy. When he saw a clam pizza on the menu he was dubious, having never heard of such an abomination. And then when I ordered one for both of us, he was concerned. And an hour later he was sated and proclaiming he'd visited nirvana.

So to the question of who eats clam pizza... well, anyone without a seafood allergy and a limited palate ought to experience it at least once.

Pepe's clam pizza is ridiculously good.

Reaction Score
Tried Brunello in Branford last night. Very unimpressed. Got a mozz and then one of the eggplant pizzas on the menu. It was doughy almost like it wasn't cooked long enough even though the crust were browned and the cheese also. Almost reminded me of Bertuccis,

Other than that the place was really nice looking inside and they have 2 sides. The bar/restaurant side and the other side is patries, gelato, etc. Might have to go back and try the actual entrees as those might be good but the pizza I wont be getting again.

Reaction Score
I understand the people who would like clam pizza, I mean to each their own. But to me really good pizza starts with a great sauce, red sauce min you, and if you don't have that you don't have pizza. Back int he day Verdolini's in Meriden had such great red sauce I wouldn't even think of ruining my pizza with anything but sprinkled parmesan cheese, called a "plain" pizza - it was super. But it's hard to mirror their sauce so the sauce combined with mozzarella cheese was my next route and places like Little Rendezvous, Modern, Angelo's and others were able to put the package together. It wasn't until I was older where I actually began to get into pepperoni, hamburg, mushrooms even on a pizza because it too away what I thought to be "pizza". Certainly everyone has their own idea, but when you add buffalo chicken to pizza I just don't get it! But that's just me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I understand the people who would like clam pizza, I mean to each their own. But to me really good pizza starts with a great sauce, red sauce min you, and if you don't have that you don't have pizza. Back int he day Verdolini's in Meriden had such great red sauce I wouldn't even think of ruining my pizza with anything but sprinkled parmesan cheese, called a "plain" pizza - it was super. But it's hard to mirror their sauce so the sauce combined with mozzarella cheese was my next route and places like Little Rendezvous, Modern, Angelo's and others were able to put the package together. It wasn't until I was older where I actually began to get into pepperoni, hamburg, mushrooms even on a pizza because it too away what I thought to be "pizza". Certainly everyone has their own idea, but when you add buffalo chicken to pizza I just don't get it! But that's just me.

And to me, a pizza is all about the crust. IMO, if you had the most brilliant red sauce in the world with an underdone crust, you failed.

But I'll grant you that buffalo chicken (or Thai or taco meat or countless other things) is a kid thing. And that's why you don't often find that stuff at "great" pizza places. However, even over in Italy (outside of the real traditional places like Della Antica), all sorts of things go. If they can grow it in Italy, it's likely it can be found on a pizza somewhere in the country.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not a big fan of most of the new "specialty" pizzas, but there are exceptions. Broccoli rabe and sausage is a good pie.

Funny Mau, where I grew up, eating apizza in New & East Haven, plain included mozz. When I was outside that area I would be surprised that my "plain" was just sauce. Makes sense though.​

Reaction Score
I grew up in New Haven/East Haven area also and plain was always sauce with grated pecorino romano/parmasean.

A mozz or cheese pizza had the actual mozzarella cheese.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Has Husky Pizza (Storrs) been mentioned? Never been but I've heard it's quite awful. I guess it caters to drunk college students.

husky-pizza-11716_1399494917892.png

Reaction Score
And to me, a pizza is all about the crust. IMO, if you had the most brilliant red sauce in the world with an underdone crust, you failed.

But I'll grant you that buffalo chicken (or Thai or taco meat or countless other things) is a kid thing. And that's why you don't often find that stuff at "great" pizza places. However, even over in Italy (outside of the real traditional places like Della Antica), all sorts of things go. If they can grow it in Italy, it's likely it can be found on a pizza somewhere in the country.

Agree on the crust, it's huge for the overall pie. Has to have a little char to it while being crisp!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
Agree on the crust, it's huge for the overall pie. Has to have a little char to it while being crisp!

That's the biggest pizza noob complaint you hear about new Haven : " I don't like that they burned the crust"

I then point them to the nearest Chuck E. cheese ( or Greek place)

Reaction Score
Soho in Newtown is very good. Had it tonight for the first time. Not quite New Haven caliber, but still damn good.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Soho in Newtown is very good. Had it tonight for the first time. Not quite New Haven caliber, but still damn good.

Wonder if it's the same Soho as the one on White Street in Danbury. That was the pizza I lived on at WestConn.

Reaction Score
Rico, yes. The Soho box lists both locations. The Newtown location is a recent addition.

Reaction Score
Okay. So it took me pecking and poking over the course of a few days.....but here are all of the pizza spots listed in this thread.

1. I didn't include any of the Pizza Hut, Domino's type joke posts.
  2. It's apparent that lots of people really, really hate Greek pizza.
  3. Mau mentioned a pizza called "the Spooker" in 3 different spots on this thread.
  4. If some places have multiple locations (i.e. First and Last) I only included it once.
  5. It's funny how a few people tried to come in and crack jokes....then were completely dismantled by the serious pizza lovers steamrolling right through them.
If anyone would like to go through and check my list to make sure I was accurate, feel free.....

7 Seas Pizza Restaurant (closed) -- Groton
Adrianna's Pizza -- Naugatuck
Amalfi -- Waterbury
Anastasio's -- New Haven
Arcudi's -- Wilton
Ash Creek -- Bridgeport
Back Nine Lounge -- Southington
Bar -- New Haven
Barb's (closed) -- West Hartford
Belltown Pizza -- Stamford
Berkshire Pub -- Torrington
Big Green Pizza Truck -- (food truck)
Bimonte's (Closed) -- Hamden
Bricco's -- West Hartford
Brunello -- Branford
Bufalina -- Guilford
C&C -- Bridgeport
Carmichael's (closed) -- Hartford
Carminuccio's -- Newtown
Carpanzano's -- Guilford
Casa Loma (closed) -- Hartford
Chunky Tomato -- Bristol
Coal House -- Lower Fairfield County
Colony Grill -- Stamford
Corky's (closed) -- East Hartford
Country Restaurant (closed) -- Plantsville
Cucina's -- Niantic
Da Legna -- New Haven
Daveluy's Restaurant -- Watertown
DaVinci -- Deep River
Dayton Apizza -- New Haven
Domenic & Vinnie's -- Southington
Domenick & Pia's -- Waterbury
East Ave Pizza -- Norwalk
Eli's -- Hamden
Elm Hill Pizza -- Newington
Fairlawn Pizza -- Stamford
Famous Pizza -- Norwalk
Farmington Ave Pizza -- West Hartford
Fireside -- Gales Ferry
First & Last Tavern -- Hartford
Frank & Lin's (closed) -- Rockville
George's Pizza -- Unionville
Gino's (closed) -- Glastonbury
Giovanni's -- Newington
Glenville Pizza -- Lower Fairfield County
Golden Pizza -- Preston
Gozzo's (closed) -- Hartford
Grand Apizza -- North Haven
Green Onion -- Lisbon
Harry's -- West Hartford
Harry's Bishops Corner -- West Hartford
Hometown Pizza -- Harwington
Hope Street Pizza -- Stamford
Hot Heaven -- Avon
Illiano's -- Old Lyme
Italian Gardens (Closed) -- Willimantic
Italian Villa -- Somers
Jerry's Shakespeare Pizza -- Bridgeport
JG's -- Granby
Jimmie's -- West Hartford
Jimmy's Pizza -- Milford
Joe Pizza -- Simsbury
Joey Garlic -- Farmington
John & Maria's -- East Haven
Jordan's -- Norwalk
Krust -- Middletown
Lanteri's Pizza (closed) -- Hartford
Lena's -- Hartford
Little City Pizza -- Simsbury
Little Rendevous -- Meriden
Lou's Pizza -- Norwalk
Luigi's -- Old Saybrook
Luna Pizza -- Glastonbury
Madison Pizza -- Guilford
Marco's -- Branford
Max Pizza -- Bristol
McBride's -- Wolcott
Midway Pizza -- Groton
Mike's Apizza -- West Haven
Modern -- New Haven
Mondo -- Middletown
Mr. G's Restaurant -- New London
My Place Restaurant -- Newtown
Naple's -- Farmington
Napoli's -- Wallingford
Nardi -- South Windsor
New England Pizza -- Vernon
New Haven Pizza -- Wolcott
Nicholas Pizza -- Torrington
Nuzzo's -- Madison
Oakdale Pizza -- Wallingford
Ocean Pizza -- New London
Olde World -- North Haven
Otto -- Chester
Pagliacci's -- Plainville
Papa's Pizza -- Milford
Paradise Pizza -- Stratford
Paradise Pizza -- New Britain
Park Lane Pizza -- West Hartford
Parma Pizza -- Plainville
Paul and Eddie's -- Hamden
Paul's -- Bridgeport
Pepe's -- New Haven
Pizza House -- New Haven
Pizza Pal -- New Britain
Pizza Palace -- Torrington
Pizza Post -- Greenwich
Pizza Pub -- Essex
Pizzeria Da Vinci -- Cobalt
Pizzeria Marzano -- Torrington
Pizzetta -- Mystic
Pomodoro's -- Farmington
Popular Restaurant (closed) -- Southington
Portland Restaurant -- Portland
Portofino's -- North Madison
Ray's -- Niantic
Red Tomato -- Madison
Rialto Pizza -- New London
Riko's -- Norwalk
Roberto's -- Monroe
Roma Di Notte -- Clinton
Roma's Bakery -- Hartford
Ro's -- Watertown
Roseland -- Derby
Rose's Family Restaurant -- Oxford
Rossini's -- Chesire
Rossini's (closed) -- Bristol
Sally's -- New Haven
Sal's -- Meriden
Sammy's -- Southport
San Gennaro -- Bristol
Soho -- Danbury
Sorella -- Hartford
Sorrento's -- Hamden
Spiro's Great Oak Pizza (closed) -- Gales Ferry
Stanziato's -- Danbury
Stella's -- Hazardville
Stretches -- Newington
Tarry Lodge -- New Haven
Teddy's -- South Windsor
The Berkshire -- Torrington
The Recovery Room -- New London
The Rolling Tomato -- Groton
Tolli's -- East Haven
Tom & Pat's -- West Haven
Tommy's Pizza -- Middletown
Tony's Pizza -- Willimantic
Town & Country -- New Britain
Tuscany Pizza -- Southington
Two Boot's -- Bridgeport
Valentino's -- Ledyard
Verdolini's (Closed) -- Meriden
Village Pizza -- Wethersfield
Vinnie's -- Waterbury
Vito's -- Wethersfield
Westport Pizzeria -- Westport
Willington Pizza -- Willington
Wilson Pizza -- Windsor
Wolcott Brick Oven -- Wolcott
Yanni's -- Newington
Zingarelli's -- Southington
Zorba's -- Meriden
Zuppardi's -- West Haven

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Madison Pizza -- Guilford

Impressive work, Deep. Thanks. The only thing that doesn't look right is this one. I don't think there is such a place.

Reaction Score
Wanted to add Fire Engine Pizza Company in Bridgeport to the list. I've never been to the restaurant but I was at a party recently that they were at. They have a fire truck with a brick oven built into it that they'll go to your party and make pizzas for your guests. Don't laugh. The pizza was really, really good. My whole family was laughing that they make better pizza out of a fire truck than anything we've had in Massachusetts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There's a Rossini's in East Hampton. It is operated by one of the partners who opened the Cheshire restaurant but they are not affiliated anymore.

Village Pizza just recently opened in Gales Ferry. It is operated by the former owners of Village Pizza on the Green in Marlborough. It is pretty much a Greek pie and Fireside (Neapolitan brick oven) blows it out of the water, just as 3 Fellas blows away the Marlborough version.

Also, 7 Seas is now called Victoria's Family Restaurant, though it has more or less the same décor as 7 Seas and serves a very similar menu. The definition of insanity comes to mind there.

I'm surprised that none of the Illiano's were mentioned. There are multiple locations, but I don't think it should qualify as a chain.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Surprised I never mentioned my favorite, traditional in Guilford: Carpanzano's. If I want it delivered or don't want to drive to New Haven, or even to Marco's in Branford. It is good!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom