OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 32 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Excellent... Reminds me of Sgt Pepperoni's at UConn after a night of debauchery at the Civic Pub, Ted's, or Huskies. Best pizza I ever tasted!
Reminds me of Gumby's. Actually, even after a night of debauchery that stuff still tasted like crap. IIRC, a college friend referred to it as a cardboard disc with blistering plastic cheese and acid sauce.

Reaction Score
Green onion in Lisbon. Nothing fancy just damm good.

A good choice! They also have, along with Pizza Pal in New Britain, one of the most delicious tuna grinders I've ever had.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Curious about Grimaldi's in Woodbridge. Has it opened yet?

Yes, newly open.
Haven't been, but currently there is a single UNrecommended review on Yelp and that's the only helpful one. I know who wrote it, it's legit, and it gives me a context for visiting. I'll go as a change of pace and report here. I live in Westville, so it'll be easy.

There's a 'view from beneath the Brooklyn Bridge " mural in the dining room, so that confirms it's connected to the Brooklyn Grimaldi's, which itself is a disentanglement from Patsy' s in a few guises. There's even a family connection w/Lombardi's somehow. I liked Grimaldi' as best NYC coal oven pizza when I lived in NYC for being closer to NH than elsewhere in the city, but always liked NH more.

Reaction Score
A good choice! They also have, along with Pizza Pal in New Britain, one of the most delicious tuna grinders I've ever had.

Please do not start a "Best Tuna Grinder" thread boog LOL

I love tuna fish but it makes me nervous to have other people make it for me.......I take chances on cleaner looking places on occasion but I am always concerned. Yet there is nothing like a good tuna grinder, melt or club!!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Jerry's Pizza in Middletown is good huh? I will tell you that back in the day, late 70's early 80's Jerry's was best known for being open late into the morning after the crowd from across the street at Gatsby's filed out. After a long evening of 2-fer-1, Nickel Night, Ladies Night, Quarter Well drinks or whatever the night, Jerry's for a couple of slices and a coke was the stop. Because of the situational chowing I can't honestly tell you whether it was real good or not so - but it worked! ;)

It has since moved and I may have to try it mid day, when I can actually rate it!
I spent many a summer evening at Gatsby's nickel night.

Reaction Score
Please do not start a "Best Tuna Grinder" thread boog LOL

I love tuna fish but it makes me nervous to have other people make it for me..I take chances on cleaner looking places on occasion but I am always concerned. Yet there is nothing like a good tuna grinder, melt or club!!

I hear ya! But Pizza Pal in New Britain, Green Onion in Lisbon, and Franklin Giant are the big 3 in my book.... Now back to pizza talk.

Reaction Score
I think the water does have something to do with it.

The water is also the same reason my New Orleans friends give for their amazing French bread. I'm not sure I believe it but who knows.

I'm excited to try Pepe's New Haven soon. I imagine I have a good frame of reference since I have had a pie from Fairfield Pepe's once a week for the past 6 months. Good usually, great sometimes, inconsistent.

These are not even comparable to New Haven pies but I like getting pizza from Pizza Mediterranean in Fairfield and Beverly's in Bridgeport. Beverly's has great cheese and one of my favorite crusts but bad, generic sauce. Light sauce, well done is nice change of pace every now and then. I saw someone mention Colony earlier - very overrated and low quality toppings. I was recently underwhelmed with a trip to Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.

Reaction Score
the original Pepe's is soooo much better... the summer fresh tomato w/ garlic, basil, and sausage may be the most delicious thing I've ever had.

Reaction Score
I saw someone mention Colony earlier - very overrated and low quality toppings. I was recently underwhelmed with a trip to Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.

Where did you try Colony? The original in Stamford is the best. I get a cheese, hot oil or stinger pizza so I can't really comment on the quality of the other toppings.

Reaction Score
Where did you try Colony? The original in Stamford is the best. I get a cheese, hot oil or stinger pizza so I can't really comment on the quality of the other toppings.

I've only been to Fairfield. It's certainly not bad overall, I like the hot oil as well but it's a 7/10 to me. I like to get bacon pies but the fact that they use microwaved bacon rubs me the wrong way.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I went to the one in Fairfield once because so many people said I needed to try it. Had the hot oil and stinger pies. I didn't get the hype.

Reaction Score
I went to the one in Fairfield once because so many people said I needed to try it. Had the hot oil and stinger pies. I didn't get the hype.

The Fairfield one isn't as good as Stamford. After New Haven pizzas, Colony is my favorite but I can understand why it's not for everyone. I actually wasn't that big of a fan the first time I tried it. But after the second time I went there, I was hooked.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Gumby's. Actually, even after a night of debauchery that stuff still tasted like crap. IIRC, a college friend referred to it as a cardboard disc with blistering plastic cheese and acid sauce.

Ah, Gumby's. I wonder how that pizza actually tastes since I usually had it after downing a 20 pack of Nat Light. It's not pizza; but, I also have fond memories of DP Dough deliveries (calzones). Had one at least one night a week. If I did that today, I would be either pushing 300 lbs or pushing up daises.

Reaction Score
Just had pizza from BAR far the first time. Just a note, I got two small pie for 2 adults and 2 kids. Mistake. There small is a tad bit big. Have a 1/2 of a pie leftover. Also, not to self, don't drive into New Haven for pizza during Parents' weekend at Yale. It was jammed and could not find street parking, so had to pay $8 to park for 10 minutes in a lot. Plus, that entire area around the old 34 connector is a mess. Missed the turn for Church Street and had to circle back around via I-91.

Got a plain red and cheese pie for the kids. It was good; but almost too thin. The mashed potato and bacon pizza was really good. My wife like that it was not charred (her loss) and the crust was very garlicky. I would put them #2 ahead of Pepe's and behind Sally's for New Haven, though I have not been to Modern lately.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just had pizza from BAR far the first time. Just a note, I got two small pie for 2 adults and 2 kids. Mistake. There small is a tad bit big. Have a 1/2 of a pie leftover. Also, not to self, don't drive into New Haven for pizza during Parents' weekend at Yale. It was jammed and could not find street parking, so had to pay $8 to park for 10 minutes in a lot. Plus, that entire area around the old 34 connector is a mess. Missed the turn for Church Street and had to circle back around via I-91.

Got a plain red and cheese pie for the kids. It was good; but almost too thin. The mashed potato and bacon pizza was really good. My wife like that it was not charred (her loss) and the crust was very garlicky. I would put them #2 ahead of Pepe's and behind Sally's for New Haven, though I have not been to Modern lately.
Either my family eats a lot more than normal, or yours eats a lot less. Two BAR smalls would not come close to feeding us, especially with that impossibly thin crust. They have a great salad too, btw.

Their crust is too thin for travel; has to be eaten there imo. Mashed potato and bacon is most definitely the most essential pie there. I get it red, but most seem to get it white. I used to when they first opened, but early on a waiter suggested red because he preferred it that way, and I have never gone back to white for that pie since.

Reaction Score
Either my family eats a lot more than normal, or yours eats a lot less. Two BAR smalls would not come close to feeding us, especially with that impossibly thin crust. They have a great salad too, btw.

Their crust is too thin for travel; has to be eaten there imo. Mashed potato and bacon is most definitely the most essential pie there. I get it red, but most seem to get it white. I used to when they first opened, but early on a waiter suggested red because he preferred it that way, and I have never gone back to white for that pie since.

Red and mash, will keep that in mind next time. Wife may not agree though, she is addicted to garlic. 2 was enough for us; but, my kids are both under 10. We are staying in Shelton, so only a 30 minute drive back to the hotel and a quick minute in the oven to re-heat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Red and mash, will keep that in mind next time. Wife may not agree though, she is addicted to garlic. 2 was enough for us; but, my kids are both under 10. We are staying in Shelton, so only a 30 minute drive back to the hotel and a quick minute in the oven to re-heat.
If you can tolerate more pizza while you're there, Roseland in Derby is certainly deserving of a stop. Their seafood pizza is a thing of legend, and deservedly so, both for the price tag and the experience. That is a small that could feed an army because it is so dense with seafood. My brother-in-law and I once split a small seafood pie from there and we had two pieces leftover. I took them home and cut them up into eight squares, which we served as appetizers for dinner guests the next night.

They have some other really interesting specialty pies too, like escarole and bean pizza. Their pasta dishes are also very good and made with fresh pasta.

Reaction Score
If you can tolerate more pizza while you're there, Roseland in Derby is certainly deserving of a stop. Their seafood pizza is a thing of legend, and deservedly so, both for the price tag and the experience. That is a small that could feed an army because it is so dense with seafood. My brother-in-law and I once split a small seafood pie from there and we had two pieces leftover. I took them home and cut them up into eight squares, which we served as appetizers for dinner guests the next night.

They have some other really interesting specialty pies too, like escarole and bean pizza. Their pasta dishes are also very good and made with fresh pasta.

Thanks. Back when kids freely roamed the streets, I used to walk up Hawthorne with my cousins to watch Saturday morning (well before Friday night lights came into being)Derby football games at Ryan field (was not allowed to go to Derby/Ansonia or Derby/Shelton games thought due to the level of shenanigans at those games) and we would grab a slice of cheese or peperoni at Roseland on the way home for lunch. Haven't been back in 30 years though. Though about going there; but wanted New Haven pizza and thus went to BAR.

PS - Drove right by there on my way from the wedding in Monroe where we picked-up my nephew to the hotel in Shelton and I would not let any kid walk around lower Hawthorne Ave in Derby. Sad.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Went to Colony in Fairfield yesterday for Happy Hour. Big ole sign walking in. Get to the bar, have a mediocre pizza. Asks for an Octoberfest. Bartender opens me a bottle...I fainted.

Turns out my beers were full price. Sneaky bastards.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Maybe this should spur a tangent thread, but in your travels, what is the best/closest version of a NH pizza you've found outside CT?

My vote is Urban in San Diego across the street from right field of Petco. Started by NH guys.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe this should spur a tangent thread, but in your travels, what is the best/closest version of a NH pizza you've found outside CT?
In Rome, Italy. Don't remember the name but it was on the piazza outside the Pantheon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom