OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 31 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
While New Haven is better, the cost really isn't worth the marginal benefit.

So not the same. Do you go to Jersey City or a New Rochelle & claim you've experienced Manhattan's Best? New Haven's rep for pizza is well earned. I honesty believe its the well seasoned ovens & crusts. But their sauces are much more flavorful and their pizzas just have that "it" factor. I grew up just outside of New Haven, so I may be a bit spoiled. I just know when I take a bite of one of New Haven's historic pizza establishments, I'd know them anywhere, just on taste, flavor & mouth feel. Yum....

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Never been to Jersey City or New Rochelle. What does "Manhattan's Best" even mean? Most of times I'm there, I have a hard time spending more than 24 hours downtown (Though I like the neighborhoods of the outer boroughs).

Where did I say the same or that New Haven was inferior? I didn't. I insinuated that if imno1 is coming from Vernon, there is no reason to drive an hour or more for a quality slice. Is the oven older and more seasoned? Yes. Is it better than the other locations? Uh huh!! But don't give me this static about different ingredients or better staff...unless it's the same guys who were the in 1925.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never been to Jersey City or New Rochelle. What does "Manhattan's Best" even mean? Most of times I'm there, I have a hard time spending more than 24 hours downtown (Though I like the neighborhoods of the outer boroughs).

Where did I say the same or that New Haven was inferior? I didn't. I insinuated that if imno1 is coming from Vernon, there is no reason to drive an hour or more for a quality slice. Is the oven older and more seasoned? Yes. Is it better than the other locations? Uh huh!! But don't give me this static about different ingredients or better staff...unless it's the same guys who were the in 1925.

You "insinuated" that Manchester's versions of Pepe's or Wooster pizza are compatible to New Haven's versions. That is simply untrue. Why go to spin off, when you can go to the real thing if you're looking for a true experience of New Haven style pizza? If you've been to Pepe's or Wooster Street enough in New Haven, you will know the ones in Manchester are not anywhere the same. I've been & I can tell the difference. The ones in Manchester are just people they hired locally...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I agree with both of these.

I would add Bufalina in Guilford as my favorite of all of them, but if you've honestly never had any of those others you should probably go to the source. TRest is right, but J-dog has listed what I consider to be the holy trinity-plus one of New Haven apizza. If you get pizza from any of them you have had the real deal, and certainly one of the best.

It's worth mentioning that if time is a factor on your last day after a stressful visit, there may be a too-long line outside of Pepe's; there may be a line as well as 'insiders' who get to go ahead of you at Sally's; there may be a heavy Friday night bar crowd and parking challenges at Bar; and that Modern (still with a line, but best parking of the 4) may therefore be the quickest in-and-out, which is improved further if you can do take-out.

Husky25

Reaction Score
While New Haven is better, the cost really isn't worth the marginal benefit.

You "insinuated" that Manchester's versions of Pepe's or Wooster pizza are compatible to New Haven's versions. That is simply untrue. Why go to spin off, when you can go to the real thing if you're looking for a true experience of New Haven style pizza? If you've been to Pepe's or Wooster Street enough in New Haven, you will know the ones in Manchester are not anywhere the same. I've been & I can tell the difference. The ones in Manchester are just people they hired locally...
I rarely if ever re-quote myself, but your comprehension, or lack there of, dictate...

Getting down to NH is 2 hours minimum, round trip, and disregarding wait time. It is better, but I'm not going to think any less of a visitor if the choose not to spend the better part of their afternoon in a car or in line.

Also who do you think are working the ovens at Pepe's, Sally's, or Modern in New Haven? The same family my own them, but theres a good chance it's a college kid with German or Irish ancestry is working the oven.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I rarely if ever re-quote myself, but your comprehension, or lack there of, dictate...

Getting down to NH is 2 hours minimum, round trip, and disregarding wait time. It is better, but I'm not going to think any less of a visitor if the choose not to spend the better part of their afternoon in a car or in line.

Also who do you think are working the ovens at Pepe's, Sally's, or Modern in New Haven? The same family my own them, but theres a good chance it's a college kid with German or Irish ancestry is working the oven.

No. And don't start re-tweeting either.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Somebody made a case for the ovens being THE factor. Of course he only discussed age. Left out numbers of cremations!

Reaction Score
How on earth are you guys still talking about pizza.

Have you ever tasted good pizza? Pizza is good.

For many of us ex-Nutmeggers, we can't get good pizza, so we tend to obsess on it. The chef-owner of my favorite restaurant here in Buffalo claimed he was opening a place that would do pizza right. That was 9 months ago. I harassed him about it last week.

Reaction Score
Somebody made a case for the ovens being THE factor. Of course he only discussed age. Left out numbers of cremations!

It seriously could just be the tap water. No one really knows.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Have you ever tasted good pizza? Pizza is good.

For many of us ex-Nutmeggers, we can't get good pizza, so we tend to obsess on it. The chef-owner of my favorite restaurant here in Buffalo claimed he was opening a place that would do pizza right. That was 9 months ago. I harassed him about it last week.
Granted, and I was participating in this thread about 23 pages ago, but you guys have to be walking in your own footsteps at this point. I bet the Pepe's New Haven vs. Pepe's anywhere else in CT talking point has come up at least 5 times in this thread.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Granted, and I was participating in this thread about 23 pages ago, but you guys have to be walking in your own footsteps at this point. I bet the Pepe's New Haven vs. Pepe's anywhere else in CT talking point has come up at least 5 times in this thread.
Probably (and I'm done here for a while) but a question was asked by an out-of-stater. The answer of which was attacked. Connecticut gets such precious few tourists that they probably shouldn't be insulted (neither should anyone else for that matter) for the temerity of possibly weighing the cost/benefit of a trip to New Haven from Vernon.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I saw someone mentioned Jerry's Pizza a few pages back. Anyone have other opinions on it? Was thinking of heading down to New Haven next weekend but I've read some comparable reviews of Jerry's to the New Haven places.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Decided not to take the trip to New Haven. I was looking for a more traditional loaded pizza which Pepe's doesn't really seem to have. So we went to a local place called New England Pizza on Hartford Turnpike in Vernon and it still crushes anything we can get in L.A.

And I so don't understand why you can't get good pizza out of state. New England Pizza doesn't use a brick oven and stone, just a belt but the cheese and the sauce are just so much better.

Maybe it is the tap water.

Reaction Score
I saw someone mentioned Jerry's Pizza a few pages back. Anyone have other opinions on it? Was thinking of heading down to New Haven next weekend but I've read some comparable reviews of Jerry's to the New Haven places.

Which Jerry's Pizza? If you are talking about the one in Stratford it was good 20 years ago but is absolute garbage today.

Reaction Score
Which Jerry's Pizza? If you are talking about the one in Stratford it was good 20 years ago but is absolute garbage today.

Middletown... Some of the reviews online say it is better than the New Haven places and some of the "classic" Brooklyn places. Then some others say it's garbage. I'm 15 minutes away and didn't know it existed until this thread.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
lets get back on to some new Pizza topics.

Anyone see todays courant?
http://www.courant.com/features/food/hc-pizza-newcomers-1016-20141016-story.html#page=1

^^ Ive been to 5 of these, yes they are great (doesnt hurt that 4 are within 15 minutes of my house) , but Im still a traditional old school New Haven Pie guy at my core. I bet 8893 has been to all 1o!

Notice there is no mention of Greek crud in this article. :eek:

There are only eight in the article, not ten. I've been to five of them as well. Pretty sure I've commented on each of those five in this thread. Probably the same five to which you've been: Bufalina, Otto, Da Legna, Krust and Mondo. And that's the order in which I would rate them.

Reaction Score
I like coal or wood fired apizza. However, if I am going to venture into an American Italian pizza joint that isn't going for the authenticity of apizza, I always loved Red Rose in downtown Springfield MA. They do a thinnish crust pizza that has amazing flavor and texture. Crispy on the bottom, chewy elsewhere with great sauce. I used to love stopping there on the way back to CT from skiing in Vermont. Big, family style salad, great Italian bread and full bar.

It was looking pretty dated and long in the tooth when I was there this summer, but the pizza was still excellent. Highly recommend.

Reaction Score
Also got to add and it might not be everyone's taste, but Chimirri's Pastry Shop in Wethersfield has far and away the most delicious Sicilian Pizza I've ever had. It's not a style that I always crave, but when I do, that's the only place I'll go. Delicious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Decided not to take the trip to New Haven. I was looking for a more traditional loaded pizza which Pepe's doesn't really seem to have. So we went to a local place called New England Pizza on Hartford Turnpike in Vernon and it still crushes anything we can get in L.A.

And I so don't understand why you can't get good pizza out of state. New England Pizza doesn't use a brick oven and stone, just a belt but the cheese and the sauce are just so much better.

Maybe it is the tap water.

I think the water does have something to do with it. Same with bagels. Coincidentally, the best pizza I found in the L.A. area was Abbot's Pizza on Abbot Kinney in Venice, made with a bagel dough crust. Definitely not New Haven/Napoletana style, but very good eats--especially with an "everything" bagel dough crust.

In San Francisco, Tony's Pizza Napoletana is great. I'd rate it with a handful of "almost New Haven" places here in CT. Excellent meatballs too.

Reaction Score
Jerry's Pizza in Middletown is good huh? I will tell you that back in the day, late 70's early 80's Jerry's was best known for being open late into the morning after the crowd from across the street at Gatsby's filed out. After a long evening of 2-fer-1, Nickel Night, Ladies Night, Quarter Well drinks or whatever the night, Jerry's for a couple of slices and a coke was the stop. Because of the situational chowing I can't honestly tell you whether it was real good or not so - but it worked! ;)

It has since moved and I may have to try it mid day, when I can actually rate it!

Reaction Score
Curious about Grimaldi's in Woodbridge. Has it opened yet?

Reaction Score
Jerry's Pizza in Middletown is good huh? I will tell you that back in the day, late 70's early 80's Jerry's was best known for being open late into the morning after the crowd from across the street at Gatsby's filed out. After a long evening of 2-fer-1, Nickel Night, Ladies Night, Quarter Well drinks or whatever the night, Jerry's for a couple of slices and a coke was the stop. Because of the situational chowing I can't honestly tell you whether it was real good or not so - but it worked! ;)

It has since moved and I may have to try it mid day, when I can actually rate it!

Excellent... Reminds me of Sgt Pepperoni's at UConn after a night of debauchery at the Civic Pub, Ted's, or Huskies. Best pizza I ever tasted!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom