Best Ollie Quote Ever | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Ollie Quote Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
lets just hope Cuse, Zaga end up being top 5 teams at end of season and these losses wont seem so bad.
Objectively, they are not "bad" losses even now. Each team can stay stable where they are now and we will be fine.

Subjectively, they hurt us as fans because losing to Cuse is always awful, and we fought all the way back and still lost today.

Reaction Score
This. The idea that we are anything other than a one if we run the table from here (which obviously won't happen) is similarly insane.

Invoking Louisville and SMU teams from past years is a false equivalence. Louisville was a four seed because they beat nobody OOC. SMU was a six seed because they didn't beat anybody OOC (as Blue said, the Michigan win turned out to be meaningless).

You don't have to run the table OOC to earn a high seed in a mid-major conference. You just have to take some scalps and prove you belong. We've already beaten Michigan (up 5 on Texas w/3 to play) and one possession losses to ranked teams certainly going to be deal breakers. Win the remaining OOC games, win the conference, and win the conference tournament and I can't see us being worse than a three.

I agree. The scenario stated above should secure a #3 seed even with the leadership of Joe Castiglione (Oklahoma) behind the selection process. Maybe it is to early to lose sleep over seeding issues we ultimately have no control over. Unfortunately I fall into the category of a fan who spends to much time concerned about seeding when there are to many other issues to figure out first. So I assume that is what KO is referring to with his Atlantis quote. Invoking SMU might turn out to be a false equivalence but as we stand right now there is more truth to the analogy in my opinion. My confidence is very high like yours that we will have a better OOC resume than SMU when all is said and done. SMU however lost to Gonzaga, Indiana and Arkansas (all solid tourney teams) OOC. SMU lost to Cincinnati twice and us in league play (that's it). They were rewarded with a 6 seed.

Michigan should make the tournament but they are no lock. Georgetown could contend for the BE title (and hopefully will after we beat them). Texas? hmmm I think they will get in (B12) but it won't be easy. My point is our team could run the OOC table or have 2 more slip ups. After Atlantis if its the latter we will be looking at a 6 seed or lower with no bad conference losses similar to SMU. Not taking all the power numbers into consideration and just going on gut this seems likely.

Lets get that 3 seed though. I love that possibility and still think we can realistically pull it off.

Last edited:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Cincinnati
Tulsa will also be tough...they have a very experienced , talented and deep backcourt returning.
Memphis is young but talented and improving.
Temple has some talent, but we need to handle them and every team below them in The conference...no more Houston debacles, please.

Reaction Score
Tulsa will also be tough...they have a very experienced , talented and deep backcourt returning.
Memphis is young but talented and improving.
Temple has some talent, but we need to handle them and every team below them in The conference...no more Houston debacles, please.
Tulsa will be very tough. I am concerned mostly where we stand between the ears mentally across the board compared to top flight competition. It is hard to question the potential this team has on paper if we play our cards right from a personnel perspective going forward. Cincinnati can defend and rebound with anyone in the country but they don't have a facilitator on offense like Hamilton. So it could be argued neither one of us have the full package. November does matter just ask Miami. They are swinging on both ends of the spectrum. Hopefully it all works itself out. You just have to go back to the lab and hope for the best.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This. The idea that we are anything other than a one if we run the table from here (which obviously won't happen) is similarly insane.

Invoking Louisville and SMU teams from past years is a false equivalence. Louisville was a four seed because they beat nobody OOC. SMU was a six seed because they didn't beat anybody OOC (as Blue said, the Michigan win turned out to be meaningless).

You don't have to run the table OOC to earn a high seed in a mid-major conference. You just have to take some scalps and prove you belong. We've already beaten Michigan (up 5 on Texas w/3 to play) and one possession losses to ranked teams certainly going to be deal breakers. Win the remaining OOC games, win the conference, and win the conference tournament and I can't see us being worse than a three.

Exactly as I was saying.

Just felt like I needed a back pat.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The season isn't doomed but there is reason to be concerned....we have maybe 15 games on the schedule that have any meaning & 15 games that are basically meaningless except for "cosmetic" record purposes. So we are 1-2 with 12 to go....more close wins than close loses and we'll be fine.

Annoying but true....top 50 wins are really what matter on that special Sunday in March...."who did you play and how did you do".

Syracuse has this setup every year.

Reaction Score
Syracuse will be ranked this year and Gonzaga with those big guys and shooters could be final 4. I just don't feel like this year's team is at all like last year's with the influx of talent. We need to get out on shooters, they had open 3 looks and we didn't, but even on our worst night we are better than 1 for 11. Mark Few thinks we are a good team I assure you.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. Putting this in perspective guys - if this team scores 7 more points in the last two games - then we basically win this tournament, beat a top 10 team, an ACC school and a B1G school - and do it in spite of playing horrendously basketball. Glass Half Full/Empty..

And sure - the problems are a little deeper than that. There are serious things that have to be worked on - namely developing something resembling a post presence and playing better defense. Ollie's rotations are still kind of lousy and the team lacks aggression and focus. Now, at least.

Second half really left me feeling a lot better. Honestly - there's three more minutes in that game, we're probably singing a much different tune. Sure- shoulda, coulda woulda - but perspective.

Reaction Score
True, but the problem with our conference and schedule which has been said as nauseum is that we simply don't have the leeway or margin of error that P5 schools have to "iron out the wrinkles". This isn't the big east anymore, we don't have the liberty of playing sloppy the first 2 months of the season only to turn it on later. The Battle for Atlantis currently dropped this teams ceiling from a 2 seed to around a 4/5 seed in a matter of 24 hours. This is why people are worried.

Really? Should we be playing this silly number game so early in the season? Probably 90% of the teams in the country are are at the beginning of figuring out how to play as a team and, you are already into championship brackets. I think the coaches have seen a lot of things to be changed, fixed, and or fine-tuned. What has surprised me thus far is the role- play maker- that Hamilton is playing. Our back court seems different from customary where it dominates both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
I really see both sides of the argument here. BUHusky10's point is true: we only have so many games against Top 25 RPI teams. Being optimistic, I would say we have 5 remaining as it stands right now (Maryland, SMU x2, Cincinnati x2).

On the other hand, we are 2 weeks into the season, and so much can change. Look at how many ranked teams lost this week alone. And some have bad losses, like Notre Dame and Miami. Like I said last night, the win against Michigan could look a lot better in a month that it does now if they get healthier and play better. They were a Top 25 team early in the year before they lost to us and Xavier. Georgetown while having 3 losses (including a bad loss to Redford) could turn out to be a Top 25 team if they start to play better. They lost at Maryland in the closing seconds and played Duke close at MSG. They have the talent to get there.

We all thought that this team might have some growing pains early in the season, and unfortunately they didn't live to tell about it. The one positive of that is that the team knows what it needs to do to improve. You don't learn that playing against inferior competition.

I don't know what the ceiling is for their seed. Did yesterday hurt? Yes. But I still think its too early to say they can only get to a certain point. I think we will have a better understanding of that when conference play starts. Missed opportunities for sure against Syracuse/Gonzaga. Maryland can make up for that. I think we should beat Ohio State easily at home. Georgetown will be tough, and at Texas could be tougher than people think.

In conference, we have to at least split against the big boys, and AVOID bad losses. Losing to teams like East Carolina, or UCF will kill our RPI! When people talk about UConn getting a 7 seed two years ago, they forget that UConn lost to Houston, who had an RPI in the 250s.

Reaction Score
We play one team with a winning record between now and 1/9. This team will need to win the conference tourney to get a bid

Reaction Score
sky-is-falling.jpg

We are domed. We should just forfeit the season there no coming back from 2 losses in November.

Reaction Score
August_West said:
Out of AAC? No they wouldn't get a 5. I bet they get a 3 with that though. And that is a 1 seed record in P5.

Cmon man. You sound like Tenspro. 29-2 with wins over MD, Georgetown, SMU (2x), Cincy (2x), and losses to a potential 1 seed in Gonzaga and Syracuse and you're saying that's a 3 seed? That's absurd.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Cmon man. You sound like Tenspro. 29-2 with wins over MD, Georgetown, SMU (2x), Cincy (2x), and losses to a potential 1 seed in Gonzaga and Syracuse and you're saying that's a 3 seed? That's absurd.

As I said before, that'd be a 1 seed. That's a monster record, likely better than any other team in the country would have. Don't know what people are smoking. The AAC is not the Patriot league.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
As I said before, that'd be a 1 seed. That's a monster record, likely better than any other team in the country would have. Don't know what people are smoking. The AAC is not the Patriot league.
Uhhh, sorry to burst the bubble here but this hypothetical scenario only plays out if UConn wins 25 straight games from here on out, literally not losing again until mid-March. Now honestly, what do you think the odds of that being, especially after seeing this team needs more time to gel than originally thought?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Uhhh, sorry to burst the bubble here but this hypothetical scenario only plays out if UConn wins 25 straight games from here on out, literally not losing again until mid-March. Now honestly, what do you think the odds of that being, especially after seeing this team needs more time to gel than originally thought?

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that, nor did I project it. Just pointing out how preposterous people's estimations of seeding is.

Reaction Score
BUHusky10 said:

Whose bubble are you bursting? The point is it's dumb to talk about a "ceiling" being a 5 seed in November.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Whose bubble are you bursting? The point is it's dumb to talk about a "ceiling" being a 5 seed in November.
I'm "bursting" the bubble of those saying this team will be a force to be reckoned with when the committee sits down to review a 29-2 UConn team in March.

Reaction Score
BUHusky10 said:
I'm "bursting" the bubble of those saying this team will be a force to be reckoned with when the committee sits down to review a 29-2 UConn team in March.

No one said that. You're being obtuse on purpose, or I'm giving you too much credit. Yesterday someone was making the case that Miami was the class of the ACC. Today they lost to Northeastern. I, personally, used the example of a 29-2 UConn team to point out how dumb it is in November to be talking about this team's ceiling as a 5 seed. Because no one has a goddam idea how the next 4 months will play out. You get it now or you need more help?

Reaction Score
Sorry to burst your bubble but a team that doesn't defend will not win 25 straight games, even in out league.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I would love to test that theory in March. In the short history of the AAC, all teams have been hosed 2 Seed lines. Thats pretty much a fact. So if you are arguing that 29-2 with that schedule is a 1 seed, then a 3 seed is exactly where it will be based on the respect the league has gotten thus far.

There is a method to my insanity. Im not just coming at this half-cocked. Syracuse as good as they looked last weekend will be around a .500 team in the ACC. That wont be a "bad loss" it wont be a "good loss" either. Against the rest of our schedule with the feast of cupcakes and RPI drags at the bottom of the AAC we could certainly end up 29-2 with an RPI above 8. That is all that committee needs to seed us at a 3.

It would be, I guess, a nice problem to have because that means we dont lose again this year (and I don't see that happening) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom