Best Interest for both Napier and Boatright to come back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Interest for both Napier and Boatright to come back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe it's in your best interest for them to come back, but I'm not sure it's in theirs.

Let's imagine they aren't NBA players and never will be (due to size and or athleticism). Let's say they can play ball until they are 35 before their bodies give out. Why spend an extra year or two out of that limited period playing the game for free?

I think we all would like them to come back for own selfish reasons. However, I think at this time, coming back to school would be a no brainer.

"Why spend an extra year or two out of that limited period playing the game for free?"

There are many reasons. First of all, neither is projected a first round pick and many "draft experts" don't even have Shabazz or Boatright getting selected in the second round. Yes they have the option of playing overseas for a lesser paycheck, but why leave early to play overseas? Why not come back to school for one year, finish your UConn degree, and possibly compete for a national championship. Next year they will both have an opportunity to showcase their talents and possibly slide into the first round where you get a GURANTEED contract, which will pay much more than you will receive overseas.

Reaction Score
Crazier things have happened. Did you ever imagine UConn would win a national championship in 2011, a year after going 18-16 and loosing three of your top four players?

Reaction Score
As much as I personally hope both come back next year, I'm totally with you on this one. The fan's reality is different than reality. Some fans, if given an offer of several hundred thousand dollars would say I'll wait until next year for the money. But most people are into immediate gratification and wouldn't turn away the offer. SN is having a career year! If he continues playing this way and UConn stays near the top of the BE standings his stock will never be higher. Everyone would recognize that he carried a mediocre team to far greater success than 99% of people interested in the sport expected. That doesn't guarantee an NBA career. It just means he's optimized his college career.

The thing is he's the type of kid who would stick around to help the program. But for that same unselfish attitude he demonstrates, as a fan, my loyalty to him would be take an offer if one is likely to be given. And I'm certain that KO and JC would say the same.

You need to get facts straight. The several hundred Ks dollars is not even available in the NBA. The NBA minimum for rookies is 480k. For players like these guys--they wont make 100k anywhere in year 1. Jerome Jordan who was DRAFTED by the Knicks at 44 played in Europe the next year for 100k. These guys are not going to be properties of nBA teams--so youre talking much less. How many players around the nation wont get drafted and are as good as these guys?--again here is an excerpt In Europe, the salary for rookie players under contract with teams in the Euroleague, the elite pro basketball league, is about $100,000. So would you leave your possibility to get into the NBA for a Euro league team(if you are lucky that you're not in the Mexican league playing for 30K) and get a college degree for free for 100k? The answer is simple---its really dumb.

Reaction Score
Also just for example--lets take Nate Wolters. Nate is better than both of these guys but did not get draft talk in his junior year. He stayed--improved his 3 pt J and is now being talked about as a late 1 early 2 compared to not even close. Mason Plumlee senior---nothing to pick 10-15. Erick Green V Tech nothing last year late 1 early 2 now(and Wolters and Green are good examples of improving their senior year)

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Both players have been crucial to UConn success this year. I don't like it that whenever I respond to this thread subject that an objective analysis of their abilities inevitably comes across as criticism. They have both been ten toes in warriors this year!

Bazz has been very special over the last three games and solid throughout the year. Boat has made jaw-dropping plays but has also struggled as well at times. Both have been inconsistent on defense. Both have really struggled to create individual offense during end of game situations (Bazz often settling for very long, contested threes...Boat getting eaten up by Dunn at the end of the Providence game). Neither have the superior vision and passing skills of elite pure point guards (Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, even Marcus Williams at UConn).
Bazz lacks the athleticism and strength of successful guards of his height in the NBA (Robinson, Tyson, Kemba etc.).
Boat has above average college-level athleticism but as posted above, at the NBA level this trait is much less notable. His lack of bulk and strength is a huge disadvantage and even at the college level, his height has frequently led to his being susceptible to half court traps.

These features decrease the interest of NBA scouts and it is unlikely either would get drafted in the first round.
I certainly hope that they both come back, because the value of a team of players who have played together through adversity cannot be overvalued. Many have said this team lacks the nba talent to be successful next year but a true team is much stronger than it's parts!

Reaction Score
People , please stop comparing Boat and Bazz to Kemba. They may be similar in height but that's about it. Maybe next year you can make the comparison if they both
Stay. I hope they stay. People forget that in 2011 Kemba hardly ever came out the game and got beat up every game and played relentless defense all game. His legacy has to be upheld with a higher regard. Please stop it.

Who did this in this thread?

Reaction Score
Also just for example--lets take Nate Wolters. Nate is better than both of these guys but did not get draft talk in his junior year. He stayed--improved his 3 pt J and is now being talked about as a late 1 early 2 compared to not even close. Mason Plumlee senior---nothing to pick 10-15. Erick Green V Tech nothing last year late 1 early 2 now(and Wolters and Green are good examples of improving their senior year)

Wolters and Green are both mid to late second round picks, and Plumlee would have been drafted in the first round last year, so i think those are three bad examples. The rest of your post is just too difficult to comprehend. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is the way I see it too, at least in the case of Shabazz. It's hard to imagine his stock will be any higher than it is right now - if he's looking to maximize his earning potential for his career, he's probably best served leaving. However, I think Shabazz genuninely loves UConn and will want to return to make another run at it.

To me, Boatright is an NBA long shot at best. He's very short, small, and while he's exceptionally athletic, he's not on the same level as guys like Westbrook, Rose, Wall, and even Kemba. Could he improve his stock next season? I say there is a possibility simply because he'll get more exposure, and unlike Napier, he still has a lot of room to grow. I wouldn't blame either of them for going pro, though.
You don't think a good tourney run would improve his stock? I do.

Reactions: SJ
Reaction Score
You don't think a good tourney run would improve his stock? I do.

Maybe, maybe not. There have been a multitude of really, really good college players over the years who led their teams to Final Fours who never even got a crack at the NBA. Do you remember Joey Rodriguez (I think that was his name) from the VCU team in 2011? He's not on the NBA's radar. What about Kris Joseph? William Buford? They both stayed all four years and neither of them became first round picks. I could go on - granted, these guys are different players than Shabazz and Boatright, but it just goes to show you a successful college career and deep run into the tournament guarantees nothing.

And it isn't like scouts aren't going to come to the games simply because UConn isn't in the tournament. Maybe that was true twenty years ago, but it's pretty easy to get exposure in today's game even if you're not on a great team. Did Weber State make the tournament last year? That didn't stop Damin Lillard from going sixth in the draft.

Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. There have been a multitude of really, really good college players over the years who led their teams to Final Fours who never even got a crack at the NBA. Do you remember Joey Rodriguez (I think that was his name) from the VCU team in 2011? He's not on the NBA's radar. What about Kris Joseph? William Buford? They both stayed all four years and neither of them became first round picks. I could go on - granted, these guys are different players than Shabazz and Boatright, but it just goes to show you a successful college career and deep run into the tournament guarantees nothing.

And it isn't like scouts aren't going to come to the games simply because UConn isn't in the tournament. Maybe that was true twenty years ago, but it's pretty easy to get exposure in today's game even if you're not on a great team. Did Weber State make the tournament last year? That didn't stop Damin Lillard from going sixth in the draft.

The bottom line is neither player would be taken in the 1st round this year so the fear of hurting their draft stock by coming back doesn't really exist for them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You need to get facts straight. The several hundred Ks dollars is not even available in the NBA. The NBA minimum for rookies is 480k. For players like these guys--they wont make 100k anywhere in year 1. Jerome Jordan who was DRAFTED by the Knicks at 44 played in Europe the next year for 100k. These guys are not going to be properties of nBA teams--so youre talking much less. How many players around the nation wont get drafted and are as good as these guys?--again here is an excerpt In Europe, the salary for rookie players under contract with teams in the Euroleague, the elite pro basketball league, is about $100,000. So would you leave your possibility to get into the NBA for a Euro league team(if you are lucky that you're not in the Mexican league playing for 30K) and get a college degree for free for 100k? The answer is simple---its really dumb.
OK $100,000 is obviously small change as opposed to several hundred thousand in your opinion. I'm not sure it is small change to these kids. I do agree, compared to the NBA salary, it is significantly smaller. The debate between us is your contention that SN would be more attractive to the NBA after next season rather than this season. I doubt it. If he hasn't demonstrated interest from NBA GM's with the season he's having this year, next season won't make much difference.

For a sportswriter in Pedunk, Iowa, I doubt he/she would take much effort to watch UConn games this season. But NBA GM's are checking out tapes of all the players with statistically significant numbers. Since SN is at the top of many categories for a pg in the BE he most certainly is on the radar of GM's. They probably will want to see the remainder of the season, but imo, if SN continues to perform the way he has done all season, he will be on someones list.

SJ

Reaction Score
Considering Shabazz actually cares about school (1 of 4 who had a GPA of 3.0 and above), I think he'll stay. I spoke with him briefly once and I think he cares about an education, since he was seriously considering his major. I believe the money will be there next year or the year after. Why isn't he starting? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom