Best Interest for both Napier and Boatright to come back | The Boneyard

Best Interest for both Napier and Boatright to come back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The pluses--they should be close to acquiring degrees. They both get stronger. They'll be on a team that has a legit chance to win the NC. They should both improve. Next year they will get more recognition towards the draft--presently they get very little for s future year--nothing this year.

Downside is injury but they do NOT have 1st round pick commitments--so injury is actually even more reason to stay in school.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only reason to leave after next year is if they decide the NBA just isn't in the cards and they decide to play overseas. Two <6' guards from a team that will lose 9-11 games are not going to be at the top of any NBA draft lists.

Reaction Score
I'd like them both back but I can see a scenario where Shabazz gets some legitimate interest, looks at who else will be in the draft and decides that this year is his best shot at getting a guaranteed contract irrespective of whether he would be more ready after this year or after an additional year.

I find it hard to believe that Boatright is going to get enough interest to justify leaving, but who knows.

Reaction Score
Although I haven't studied the issue it seems most Kids leave to early not to late( Sullinger is one who left to late),

So I wouldn't be surprised if they both leave to early , to me they are 4 year players, but then again what do I know.....

Reaction Score
It seems to me that they are both getting somewhat punked by our post season ban. SN in particular- he is not a top 20 PG really????
Bazz is smart and he has the best shot of the two based on his merits. RB however has always been in a hurry to get to the next level- IMHO.

I think KO will tell them the truth and if they are smart they will listen- the truth could go either way for Bazz. As a fan I would love to see them stay and continue to improve-they would have a shot at being the best tandem in the country next year (or close to it).

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
They both need to stay.

Boat said today:
“I don’t even like watching ESPN half the time. I see the daggun’ ‘Journey to the Tourney’ commercial ... I get irritated."

Playing in BE and NCAA tournaments next year will get them plenty of attention. They both legitimately know their stock will be higher next year if they stay. And I think the competitive nature of the guys will be the deciding factor to make them stay because it seems like they want to leave their impression on the national stage and they can't do that this year.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I know I forget sometimes, because I group them together so often, but I have to remind myself at times that Boats only a Soph......if anyone leaves early, it'll be Bazz, he's having a helluva year (beyond my expectations) but like others have said, I have no doubt KO + JC will do right by this kid, if the right people assure him of a 1st round selection you can't blame him for leaving.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

We'll at least have the best guard trio in the country next year ( Bazz, boat, Omar ) . It's not far fetched that Deandre could be very good next year . The other guys could improve. Add a another piece and you never no.

Reaction Score
People forget that the talent isnt what it used to be in college hoops, with these two coming back they could have a VERY good shot at an NC. Or it could be like Sticks/Dyson/Edwards senior year, time will tell.

Reaction Score
The pluses--they should be close to acquiring degrees. They both get stronger. They'll be on a team that has a legit chance to win the NC. They should both improve. Next year they will get more recognition towards the draft--presently they get very little for s future year--nothing this year.

Downside is injury but they do NOT have 1st round pick commitments--so injury is actually even more reason to stay in school.

Maybe it's in your best interest for them to come back, but I'm not sure it's in theirs.

Let's imagine they aren't NBA players and never will be (due to size and or athleticism). Let's say they can play ball until they are 35 before their bodies give out. Why spend an extra year or two out of that limited period playing the game for free?

Reaction Score
Maybe it's in your best interest for them to come back, but I'm not sure it's in theirs.

Let's imagine they aren't NBA players and never will be (due to size and or athleticism). Let's say they can play ball until they are 35 before their bodies give out. Why spend an extra year or two out of that limited period playing the game for free?

This is the way I see it too, at least in the case of Shabazz. It's hard to imagine his stock will be any higher than it is right now - if he's looking to maximize his earning potential for his career, he's probably best served leaving. However, I think Shabazz genuninely loves UConn and will want to return to make another run at it.

To me, Boatright is an NBA long shot at best. He's very short, small, and while he's exceptionally athletic, he's not on the same level as guys like Westbrook, Rose, Wall, and even Kemba. Could he improve his stock next season? I say there is a possibility simply because he'll get more exposure, and unlike Napier, he still has a lot of room to grow. I wouldn't blame either of them for going pro, though.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Shabazz and Boat can hardly guard big east guards and most of the guards we've faced are bigger than both of them. If both left they'll probably be the smallest guards in th NBA. If you compare guards that maybe the same size as Bazz and boat, i bet those guards are 20 lbs heavier . Compare the two to Lawson (Nuggets) , Nate Robinson and other guards with similar height and its no comparison. Both those guys need to stay in school based on size and physical maturation alone.

But with that said as Uconn fans we've been down this road before. If two are possible at least one will go. It's a simple equation especially if a single mom with younger siblings are involved . Single mom + younger siblings + a better quality of life + I gotta take care of my mom = leaving to go to pro's > uconn next season.

Reaction Score
Nate Robinson is the benchmark. Both are not playing like him right now. I say make some noise in the game (AA team, BE team, highest scorer, most assists, etc.) to prove you are NBA worthy (not 'declare' ready). The Louisville game was a great test, playing against equal talent, and there will be other games to gauge. They should show that they are the best in the country, with their size hindrance.

Reaction Score
I always took it as a given that they'd both be 4 year players. Neither is garnering much attention from the media, presumably the post season ban is a factor there. Napier is having a good year and looks to be reaching his potential, but he's not a first round pick. Plus he seems to genuinely love it at UConn playing for KO, and enjoys being a team leader.

Reaction Score
why is it the perception on the boneyard that Bazz is 5'9"-5'10"? where did this come from? Kemba is 5'11.5" with no shoes, 6'1" with shoes, there were plenty of times where Kemba and Bazz were side by side and they were even, there's even photos showing this. Boat is around that 5'10" range but Bazz is clearly bigger than him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think Napier or Boatright are really on any NBA scout's radar right now. At their height, they need to be superlative athletes and dominating at the college level to consider leaving early for the NBA.

I am generally in the "go as soon as they can" camp, but in this case, neither of them are ready or likely to get a guaranteed contract.

Reaction Score
This is the way I see it too, at least in the case of Shabazz. It's hard to imagine his stock will be any higher than it is right now - if he's looking to maximize his earning potential for his career, he's probably best served leaving. However, I think Shabazz genuninely loves UConn and will want to return to make another run at it.

How do you figure that Shabazz's stock is high? He's having a great year, but nobody is talking about Shabazz on a national level. All of the draft "experts" say he either goes in the 2nd round or undrafted.

If he were to come back, he'd be on the short list for preseason BE POY and he should be playing in the postseason again. Really, his stock can only go up.

Reaction Score

These guys are 20 years old. There will be plenty of time to have a career in basketball the same way someone goes to school and finds a job. In Shabazz's case--he also imho--would potentially have a career after basketball as a coach so finishing his degree could be worth millions to him down the road. Both players have a chance to improve their chances to play in the NBA by coming back. Uconn will be improved--heck we are a top 30 team or so as is today. Boatrright needs to play more like PG--I think hes made strides. If he comes back and avg 15-7-5 47% and plays more under control--he could be looked at as an athletic PG which is much more palatable to the NBA then a a 5-10 SG who plays out of control. Kevin Ollie stayed 4 years and ended up with a 13 year NBA career and now makes just as much coaching Uconn. If I were those guys I fashion my career after KO. Do your 4 years--get to be the best basketball player you can be win or get to the final 8 or 4 etc... national exposure get your degree get your body and mind as best as it can be--then go for it. Makes too much sense? KO is the standard for players who are on the fringe--he is the gold standard--following him is smart. Thats the advice I would tell a 20 year old--follow someone who got it right. There will be plenty of chances to play in Serbia for 75k. Lets try the NBA route first with degree in hand.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
People , please stop comparing Boat and Bazz to Kemba. They may be similar in height but that's about it. Maybe next year you can make the comparison if they both
Stay. I hope they stay. People forget that in 2011 Kemba hardly ever came out the game and got beat up every game and played relentless defense all game. His legacy has to be upheld with a higher regard. Please stop it.

Reaction Score
Bazz next year could become the next Jameer Nelson. He is that good.

And, he's one year away from a college degree which, despite the economy, is an excellent thing to have.

Reaction Score
The D League has added an interesting option as well for players coming out.. instead of sitting on the bench (Lamb) or "having" to play overseas someone can get better in the D League.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think Shabazz could play his way into a first round pick next year in the tournament. It happens every couple of years. We've played half a dozen top 25 teams with this roster and were in every game but one. He's got a lot to do with that. KO finds someone to rebound the ball and this team gets a lot more dangerous.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

As much as I personally hope both come back next year, I'm totally with you on this one. The fan's reality is different than reality. Some fans, if given an offer of several hundred thousand dollars would say I'll wait until next year for the money. But most people are into immediate gratification and wouldn't turn away the offer. SN is having a career year! If he continues playing this way and UConn stays near the top of the BE standings his stock will never be higher. Everyone would recognize that he carried a mediocre team to far greater success than 99% of people interested in the sport expected. That doesn't guarantee an NBA career. It just means he's optimized his college career.

The thing is he's the type of kid who would stick around to help the program. But for that same unselfish attitude he demonstrates, as a fan, my loyalty to him would be take an offer if one is likely to be given. And I'm certain that KO and JC would say the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom