Best Bakery in Connecticut Ever | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Best Bakery in Connecticut Ever

Reaction Score
no way any ethnic food in CT is better than new haven, except for beef patties & cocoa bread

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
no way any ethnic food in CT is better than new haven, except for beef patties & cocoa bread
there is always ethnic food better in some areas than New Haven. But I will say the number of outstanding restaurants in New Haven is fantastic. Absolutely love Adriana's

Reaction Score
Hands Down, Mayron's Bakery. Had branches on Blue Hills and Albany Aves in Hartford. Famous nationally for baking President Kennedy's
Inaugural Celebration Cake. Made "Honey Dipped Donuts" that would melt in your mouth. The best I have ever tasted. Made incredible individual cakes
that they called "Squares". One was all chocolate and the other marble. Baked the best Danish Pastries and Pecan Buns. Their fresh baked rolls were perfect.
I have traveled the world far and wide (Active Duty Navy - 29 years) and have not seen or visited a better bakery. Sadly, they did not relocate to the
suburbs and went out of business.
WOW….. When we first came to the US and lived in the North End for maybe a year or so my dad worked at that Bakery until he found a permanent job. We lived within walking distance to the bakery. Of course we did not have a car yet so everything was within “walking distance”. They also made real good onion rolls and I think I remember bagels and sponge cake too unless I am confusing them with Lassoff’s.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Boston Bakery in Rockville had fantastic pastries, eclairs and Boston Creme donuts.

We'd get the pastries which kind of had a figure eight shape and then had two dollops of raspberry or lemon with icing, or just icing and crumbled pecans.

You could smell the bakery a mile away.

I know it went through some ownership changes and stuff in the 90's and I'm almost certain it is gone now but it was fantastic as a kid in 70's and 80's.

Reaction Score
I can't remember if its St. Moritz or Black Forest Bakery in Greenwich that makes an awesome Krémes (Austro-Hungarian Napolean). I had high hopes for Cafe Dolce in Norwalk but theirs's isn't even close. I'm gonna have to go down and test taste one day soon, probably supplemented by a Tid Bit wedge with fired onions and steak sauce from Greenwich Prime Meats (authentic Manero's spin/knock off).
The garlic bread, gorgonzola salad and the steak wedge with the onions are absolutely amazing!

Reaction Score
Assuming there is agreement that Greenwich is still located in Connecticut, it's hard to imagine a better bakery that St. Moritz or a better cookie than their Sarah Bernhardts.
Those Sarah Bernhardts are to die for

Reaction Score
De Mare is the bomb. Grew up walking distance from the Greenwich location and every Easter and Thanksgiving my mom would give me $20 to walk down there and pick our pastry miniatures for each holiday. It’s the OG of my childhood and was lucky to have my grad school location in the same industrial complex of the Stamford location.
@Hey Adrien!

Our paths must've crossed on more than one occasion. I grew up in Cos Cob and DiMare was definitely a go to. Coincidentally, when I was taking some classes at UB, they were in that same DiMare complex in Stamford!

Reaction Score
Boston Bakery in Rockville had fantastic pastries, eclairs and Boston Creme donuts.

We'd get the pastries which kind of had a figure eight shape and then had two dollops of raspberry or lemon with icing, or just icing and crumbled pecans.

You could smell the bakery a mile away.

I know it went through some ownership changes and stuff in the 90's and I'm almost certain it is gone now but it was fantastic as a kid in 70's and 80's.
Boston Bakery had great jelly donuts too! Great everything, really. And excellent babka (the original owners were a very nice Polish family). One of their daughters used to babysit me and my sisters!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it’s not the same Sal’s as it was 30 years ago. Its cannoli used to be as good as any you’d find in Little Italy or on Arthur Ave. It’s still solid, but behind both Beldotti and DiMare.
Was going to make the same comment, went in last month after a long hiatus and it was not the cannoli I remembered.

Reaction Score
Here is the standard. I want a bakery that makes a great large black and white cookie like in NY, soft on the inside with that perfect glazed frosting, fresh not 4 days old wrapped in cellophane. I also want an all white version of that cookie and I want a NY style rye bread with seeds for my deli sandwiches, not something that says rye but isn’t. I want a real NY or NJ bagel chewey (you need NY water) and large and don’t tell me Brueggers or Einstein. Until we have this we have no bakeries in Connecticut.
Haven’t had the original B&W for about 60 years, but I’ve found smaller ones that do the trick. They’re at BJ’s! There was a different maker, but BJ’s bought out whoever it was and market it under their name.

Reaction Score
My wife's Uncle owned the original Devore's
They now live in NC
Their biggest customer was Fairfield U
The original owners passed away years ago. I always thought they were Hungarian, but Devore is Dutch or French. I’m 68 and my mother used go in there with me in tow when I was 5 or 6. I think it opened sometime in the 1950’s.

This was taken around 1975

Attachments

• D37DB59C-BB48-4A87-BF4E-1CF3FD39A113.jpeg
    D37DB59C-BB48-4A87-BF4E-1CF3FD39A113.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 97
Reaction Score
I think its very very good, but I could say if consider the $$$$ they charge into the equation an overrated tag could apply. I lend my custom in Niantic to Giuliano's across the street far more for my common bakery needs. Its nice having both right there though. There are times I will pick something up at sift.

I'm hesitant to say that things are not as good as they used to be, but I think that applies with Sift post-expansion. Adam is insanely talented, but I just think it's hard to maintain quality at the scale that they're producing, both in terms of volume and variety.

I still struggle to find a better croissant anywhere, though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Boston Bakery had great jelly donuts too! Great everything, really. And excellent babka (the original owners were a very nice Polish family). One of their daughters used to babysit me and my sisters!

Yes on the owners and the babka. Boston Bakery and the nuns at St. Joseph's in Rockville provided plenty of good Polish food. I think the nuns had a big convent in Enfield and there was always plenty of pierogis, babka, kielbasa and other food for sale.

Reaction Score
Once upon a time,the Dutch Oven in Windsor.
Now,Black Walnut in East Hampton

Reaction Score
Coco bread is wildly overrated. There. I said it.

Reaction Score
If the question is pastries, then the answer is Del Prete in Bridgeport. I grew up around the corner and was just there for Easter.

Otherwise I vote for Sift in Mystic.

Reaction Score
Loving this thread! There are so many great places in CT. Anyone here bake with starter? Mine is 11 years old now, stolen from the Bronx.

This is a new recipe:

1681752123654.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom