Best Bakery in Connecticut Ever | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Bakery in Connecticut Ever

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Don’t get me started on kosher eatery naming strategies these days. As kosher cuisine has branched out from more traditional Eastern European and deli options over the last few decades, many try way too hard in an attempt to sound hip, ethnic or fancy. The names end up being unoriginal and boring.

When I ran a Deli in NYC I just dealt with Ira Pechter of Pechter-Fields Bakery in Brooklyn for my 3 lb Rye loaves.

Enough said.

Ira Pechter runs your bakery, the name is good enough. LOL "Ricotta" oy gevalt

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You probably never had a great one. They must be very fresh, baked that day with lots of icing. Even 1 day later ruins it and most out there are several days and weeks old in wrapping.
I've had fresh ones when I used to work in Pelham Manor, just over the Bronx border (which now has me thinking of red & white pizza). Probably had fresh in CT too. It's not a category of baked good I'd say can even aspire to "great".

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What did you have there that was average?
For openers please read my qualifier (post #36 in this thread).

A out three and a half decades ago Mike Beldotti tried to recruit a few of us (myself included) for his softball team. They wee DeLite bakery at tg he time, same Newfield location. As a goodwill gesture (and as it coincided with Sal's moving g to Bulls Head) I started getting pastries from them (DeLite, now Beldottis) somewhat regularly (basic Italian stuff; sfogliatelle, cannoli, napoleons, etc). My (Medigan) in-laws thought it was great. My Italian relatives (and I) felt it was nothing special.

The best analogy would be if you're Rutgers, a winning basketball season win a one and done postseason is pretty special. At UConn it isn't anything to be thrilled with.

Reaction Score
The BakeHouse in Litchfield. I don't do pastries, cakes, cookies, cupcakes etc. so can't vouch for it but his bread is great. The French bread is probably the best I've ever had.

Reaction Score
Don’t get me started on kosher eatery naming strategies these days. As kosher cuisine has branched out from more traditional Eastern European and deli options over the last few decades, many try way too hard in an attempt to sound hip, ethnic or fancy. The names end up being unoriginal and boring.

yeah, ricotta is one of three newer kosher restaurants here and may actually have the best name of the three haha. the other ones, "fin and scale" and "ladle and loaf", use a _____ and _____ naming convention that is extremely played out imo.

Reaction Score
For openers please read my qualifier (post #36 in this thread).

A out three and a half decades ago Mike Beldotti tried to recruit a few of us (myself included) for his softball team. They wee DeLite bakery at tg he time, same Newfield location. As a goodwill gesture (and as it coincided with Sal's moving g to Bulls Head) I started getting pastries from them (DeLite, now Beldottis) somewhat regularly (basic Italian stuff; sfogliatelle, cannoli, napoleons, etc). My (Medigan) in-laws thought it was great. My Italian relatives (and I) felt it was nothing special.

The best analogy would be if you're Rutgers, a winning basketball season win a one and done postseason is pretty special. At UConn it isn't anything to be thrilled with.
Not going to fault you for your personal take. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. One thing though… Delite was on High Ridge, across from the Chase bank. When Beldotti bought the Newfield location in 1990, it was Cerbone’s and the Beldottis changed the name to Beldotti Bakery.

Reaction Score
yeah, ricotta is one of three newer kosher restaurants here and may actually have the best name of the three haha. the other ones, "fin and scale" and "ladle and loaf", use a _____ and _____ naming convention that is extremely played out imo.
If you like middle eastern food, I recommend Ladle and Loaf. I turned 8893 on to that place and he enjoyed it. Also, you won’t be able to get eel or real crab at Fin & Scale, but their sushi is legit great.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Super overrated
I think its very very good, but I could say if consider the $$$$ they charge into the equation an overrated tag could apply. I lend my custom in Niantic to Giuliano's across the street far more for my common bakery needs. Its nice having both right there though. There are times I will pick something up at sift.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I have never understood why anyone likes black & white cookies. Especially now when so many bakeries can pull off reasonable facsimiles of a Levain chocolate chip monster.

Funny thing, an authentic black & white cookie is actually a cake. My understanding it's technically a "drop cake," and turned upside down to frost. The texture is more cakey than cookie. The ones at (the old) Eclair on 1st Avenue were tremendous. Even better were from a kosher (dairy) bakery on Avenue M in Midwood near my grandparents apartment on E. 19th Street (I'd never remember the name, long gone, not far from DiFaras).

Last time I grabbed one at Zaros for a train ride home it was sub-par, serves my drunk a** right.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hands Down, Mayron's Bakery. Had branches on Blue Hills and Albany Aves in Hartford. Famous nationally for baking President Kennedy's
Inaugural Celebration Cake. Made "Honey Dipped Donuts" that would melt in your mouth. The best I have ever tasted. Made incredible individual cakes
that they called "Squares". One was all chocolate and the other marble. Baked the best Danish Pastries and Pecan Buns. Their fresh baked rolls were perfect.
I have traveled the world far and wide (Active Duty Navy - 29 years) and have not seen or visited a better bakery. Sadly, they did not relocate to the
suburbs and went out of business.
Point of fact more so than dispute: Mayron's did indeed follow the 1960s Jewish diaspora from Hartford's North End further west on Albany Avenue to Bishop's Corner in West Hartford, where it was in the shopping plaza occupied variously by Popular Market, Saxony Deli, Kay's Fish Market, and now long-anchored by Crown Market, a kosher establishment that includes a bakery, deli, and full supermarket. Otherwise, you are correct that it was justly lauded in its existence and has not survived to the present.

My various Likes within this thread might mean, "Oh yes, definitely," or, "Thanks for the heads up." That's good indicator of a solid food thread. Thanks for kicking it off with you first post, and welcome to The Boneyard.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
The BakeHouse in Litchfield. I don't do pastries, cakes, cookies, cupcakes etc. so can't vouch for it but his bread is great. The French bread is probably the best I've ever had.
I don’t get how people have this type of willpower. I’m a weak man

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I want a NY style rye bread with seeds for my deli sandwiches, not something that says rye but isn’t.
Post/avatar
Take a drive down to Stamford, my friend. Beldotti Bakery is your answer. Might be the only stand-alone, full-service kosher bakery left in CT, with a full array of Italian and Jewish baked goods. Grab a poppy or sesame challah while you’re there.
From the name, I'd have had no idea. Thanks.
Joey Cupcakes on Newbury Street in Boston is incredible.
Could have gone w/a Calcaterra slant, but here's Google on "Boston, CT"

Screenshot_20230322-124928.png

(Not seeing Newbury Street on the map)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
On Middle Neck Road in the Village of Great Neck, there was (is?) a kosher Chinese restaurant named "Cho Sen."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Fin and scale does sound better than "Sans Trayf" or "Shell-free Sushi," the two runners-up.

Reaction Score
I don’t get how people have this type of willpower. I’m a weak man
Ha, it's not about that for me. I just don't really enjoy them enough to eat them and I don't like pastries at all, cinnamon buns and donuts are revolting IMO. I enjoy pie and ice cream over the holidays and love good bread/bagels.

If I'm eating stuff that's bad for me I'll chow down on all the Jewish deli stuff like pastrami, bagels with cream cheese and lox and all the Italian deli cured meats. Love that stuff.

Reaction Score
When I lived in Ct I just expected when moved to Denver it would be the same. Little mom and pop bakeries everywhere. I lived on Franklin Ave in the 80’s and there where several within walking distance.

Reaction Score
Assuming there is agreement that Greenwich is still located in Connecticut, it's hard to imagine a better bakery that St. Moritz or a better cookie than their Sarah Bernhardts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom