HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Neil’s in Wallingford.

0619A1B3-0FCB-4FD5-960B-C9F76205F251.jpeg

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Assuming there is agreement that Greenwich is still located in Connecticut, it's hard to imagine a better bakery that St. Moritz or a better cookie than their Sarah Bernhardts.
I can't remember if its St. Moritz or Black Forest Bakery in Greenwich that makes an awesome Krémes (Austro-Hungarian Napolean). I had high hopes for Cafe Dolce in Norwalk but theirs's isn't even close. I'm gonna have to go down and test taste one day soon, probably supplemented by a Tid Bit wedge with fired onions and steak sauce from Greenwich Prime Meats (authentic Manero's spin/knock off).

Reaction Score
I think its very very good, but I could say if consider the $$$$ they charge into the equation an overrated tag could apply. I lend my custom in Niantic to Giuliano's across the street far more for my common bakery needs. Its nice having both right there though. There are times I will pick something up at sift.
Yeah, I think their prices are ridiculous. But you're paying for that location and the aesthetics of the place. Whereas walk down the street to Lis bakery across the street from Engine Room you'll find similar quality baked goods for a better price but no fancy lights or seating.

Reaction Score
Hands Down, Mayron's Bakery. Had branches on Blue Hills and Albany Aves in Hartford. Famous nationally for baking President Kennedy's
Inaugural Celebration Cake. Made "Honey Dipped Donuts" that would melt in your mouth. The best I have ever tasted. Made incredible individual cakes
that they called "Squares". One was all chocolate and the other marble. Baked the best Danish Pastries and Pecan Buns. Their fresh baked rolls were perfect.
I have traveled the world far and wide (Active Duty Navy - 29 years) and have not seen or visited a better bakery. Sadly, they did not relocate to the
suburbs and went out of business.
Devores Bakery in Fairfield years ago was the best, the original owners sold the place years ago and after a string of owners it unfortunately closed. It was on the Post Road south side right before Sasco Hill Rd.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think their prices are ridiculous. But you're paying for that location and the aesthetics of the place. Whereas walk down the street to Lis bakery across the street from Engine Room you'll find similar quality baked goods for a better price but no fancy lights or seating.
I'm having a very hard time spending money on pastry these days. I mean, I can certainly afford one of these high falutin' pastries, but we have a local place that charges $6 a pop for a pastry. You walk out of their spending $30 for 4 of them with a coffee.

I just won't do this often out of some weird limit caused by old age.

Our local place:
Butter-Block-2-Shira-Jacobson-reduced-2048x1365.jpeg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm having a very hard time spending money on pastry these days. I mean, I can certainly afford one of these high falutin' pastries, but we have a local place that charges $6 a pop for a pastry. You walk out of their spending $30 for 4 of them with a coffee.

I just won't do this often out of some weird limit caused by old age.

Our local place: View attachment 85567

With you there. Those dont even look good.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Neil’s in Wallingford.

View attachment 85552
So I didn’t realize this thread said “ever.”

Quality Bakeshop in Meriden until about the mid 1990’s had the best doughnuts. When the old Lithuanian ladies who owned it retired, they sold the recipes and equipment to Neil’s (who then opened up in Yalesville).

Reaction Score
Eddie’s Bakery in Southington. Long gone now. Was at the corner of Mt. Vernon Rd. And Jude Lane, across street from the nearly world famous dive bar… The Thunderbird Lounge. Yahtzee!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Devores Bakery in Fairfield years ago was the best, the original owners sold the place years ago and after a string of owners it unfortunately closed. It was on the Post Road south side right before Sasco Hill Rd.
Excellent donuts, they made them for a while after they closed on Post Road in a storefront up on Stratfield Road (Stew Leonard carried them!) but that disappeared as well. I did a building inspection at 1979 Post Road (Devore's building) while they were still there, interesting Korean massage joint upstairs, the ladies were obviously living there :eek:

Reaction Score
When I lived in Ct I just expected when moved to Denver it would be the same. Little mom and pop bakeries everywhere. I lived on Franklin Ave in the 80’s and there where several within walking distance.
CO is a wasteland of chains.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My wife's Uncle owned the original Devore's
They now live in NC
Their biggest customer was Fairfield U

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When I was a kid it was Boston Bakery in Rockville for their Boston Cream Donuts - out of this world and their breads and pastries were great. Sadly it is gone. Em's in Vernon wasn't bad but again, gone.

Reaction Score
Bakeries are a tough business. My friend's father owned one in the 60's. He got up at 3 am. went to bed by 8 pm. Brutal.

Reaction Score
Point of fact more so than dispute: Mayron's did indeed follow the 1960s Jewish diaspora from Hartford's North End further west on Albany Avenue to Bishop's Corner in West Hartford, where it was in the shopping plaza occupied variously by Popular Market, Saxony Deli, Kay's Fish Market, and now long-anchored by Crown Market, a kosher establishment that includes a bakery, deli, and full supermarket. Otherwise, you are correct that it was justly lauded in its existence and has not survived to the present.

My various Likes within this thread might mean, "Oh yes, definitely," or, "Thanks for the heads up." That's good indicator of a solid food thread. Thanks for kicking it off with you first post, and welcome to The Boneyard.
Thanks for the info. I left CT in 1973 for the Navy. Have relocated to California and only visit family back there occasionally. Good to know. Mayrons was magnificent.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Marzullos on Grande Ave New Haven- closed in the 60’s. It’s not even close

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member