Bench Play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bench Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Fortunately, by the end of your post you came to your senses....
Only because I was rewatching last night's game while typing out the post. Made me despondent all over again. Oh, the misery!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Ironically, the impetus for my post was a post I remember a while back that killed a guy (wrongly) for saying the bench was "often downright dreadful". I had to go back 270 posts to find it (2 bench posts out of 270, some flogging!) and it turns out it was yours! Anyway, I'm now an expert because I had great seats right near the court yesterday. My friend and I were talking and I said words to the effect that Geno must be way down on Banks and Chong since they were getting no run at all. Then when finally Banks gets a chance, she makes a dumb foul in the first 2 seconds! Three more bad plays and she's out in what, 2 minutes? I said Chong didn't know where she was going because MoJeff had to tell her where to go. Many. many people have asked why these guys haven't gotten more prep time in the run up to the tournament. Now we know. I'm not allowed to give an answer?

And I admit your last couple lines encapsulate what sometimes bothers me about this board. Making an observation with objective evidence doesn't automatically mean "never happy" and focusing on the negative. Even so, what's worse in my opinion are people, to borrow a phase from Judge Judy, "that pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

Look, I apologize if my reply is overdone. Give any answer or question you want. But you are not an expert if you think MoJeff telling Chong where to go means Chong was lost. Watch ANY point guard w/ the ball and they are always directing traffic. Watch Chong w/ the ball and you see the same thing. Bria as well. :)

How do you know Geno was not playing the starters 30-33 minutes each to get ready for the next 4 games? If they do not play again until Saturday, maybe he just wants to get game time action, to stay sharp? Maybe he wants KML to play herself back into game shape? (She looked great.!!) Neither you nor I know what Geno's thinking and guessing it is because the bench "is downright dreadful" is silly.

Yes, I thought Jim Fuller calling the play of UConn's whole bench "downright dreadful" was stupid. I was right then and I'm right now. Fuller refuted his own theory by noting Kiah played well. Is she not part of the bench? :cool:

If you sat court side, give us some deep insight other than foul trouble, injuries and our bench sucks. Thanks in advance. And feel free to answer the questions I asked. ;)

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1. But you are not an expert if you think MoJeff telling Chong where to go means Chong was lost. Watch ANY point guard w/ the ball and they are always directing traffic.

2. How do you know Geno was not playing the starters 30-33 minutes each to get ready for the next 4 games?

3. Yes, I thought Jim Fuller calling the play of UConn's whole bench "downright dreadful" was stupid. I was right then and I'm right now. Fuller refuted his own theory by noting Kiah played well. Is she not part of the bench?

1. I know the difference between a PG directing traffic and a PG correcting a lost player. It was the latter.

2. I'm sure Geno was playing the starters as much as he could get away with. Because he knows he can't count on the bench against better teams.

3. The bench is 1 deep. That's not much of a bench. And Fuller used the qualifier "often". It wasn't even an absolute, he was right.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And based on this team, why even worry about it. They just don't foul that much.

DD, it's not the team I'm worried about. Stuff happens, refs happen. KML picked up 2 fouls in what, 15 seconds yesterday. That was against the JV, things get a little tighter against the varsity. Yes, they could probably overcome most negative scenarios. You know I'm a Sox fan, even after 3 titles the "what could go wrong" tic is still there.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
That's a hoot! Playing the starters as much as he "could get away with?" Um, so in the FF games you are at least a little clued into the fact that the starters will all be getting 36+ minutes, and Geno won't be getting away with anything. That's the Husky way and how you win 8 NCs. You play your BEST players, not the subs who have now had little hard work in the last month and a half while the starters have developed into the machine.

I'm sorry, if you're so lost that you can't see Saniya either feeding the ball in for the cutting starter or setting up on the wing to calmly take the 3 (sorry they didn't go down for you), then again there's probably just those swims in misery for you. When a coach can count on 80 to 90 points from the starters, I'm guessing he feels cool about getting an average 12.5 rebounds from his miserable bench. During the last 4 minutes with the subs, the score went from 86-50 to 91-52. Not a huge amount of scoring but certainly not a collapse.

Must just be the season of piss and vinegar.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
U
DD, it's not the team I'm worried about. Stuff happens, refs happen. KML picked up 2 fouls in what, 15 seconds yesterday. That was against the JV, things get a little tighter against the varsity. Yes, they could probably overcome most negative scenarios. You know I'm a Sox fan, even after 3 titles the "what could go wrong" tic is still there.
I was going to pull the Sox card, but I thought you would throw your championship in my face, so I didn't.

So, a good player gets two quick fouls. We put in a sub for a few minutes. If it's getting away, you put her back in, but this team is too good to have a big drop in play where it would impact them winning.

Reaction Score
U

I was going to pull the Sox card, but I thought you would throw your championship in my face, so I didn't.

So, a good player gets two quick fouls. We put in a sub for a few minutes. If it's getting away, you put her back in, but this team is too good to have a big drop in play where it would impact them winning.
Putting in subs is not going to be a solution against ND. If there's foul trouble they will just have to play through it because the drop off after the starting five is huge. This is where Tuck is sorely missed because she has a great all around game and is good at everything.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
One of the "problems" I think, is, this starting 5 is playing so well together, that anyone who comes in might look a little out of place. I think Stokes, Chong and Banks do a pretty good job. Are they at the level of the 5 starters? No. You talking about 5 AA (eventually) players. Thinking back aways, there was a drop off when Battle or Moore came in too (for those 5 starters, Bird, DT, Cash, Jones, Williams). When you have such a tremendous 5, it's hard to be at their level. Especially last night, when they were really clicking.

All they need is a couple blows during the game. In a tighter game (ND), the starters will/can play 35-40 minutes if necessary.
Great post- I was under the hoop yesterday near Uconn bench watching their game unfold, watching KML playing every phase of the game like an All American, watching ball movement, defense , rebounding on both ends, and exceptional athleticism and gifts at every position- thinking that this particular starting 5 is one of the greatest ever- they could compete with any all star team the current NCAA.
Teams could assemble. Can't wait to watch tonight on DVR- because I am not sur they can run offense any better than they did last night. I have rarely seen Geno this happy- and well he should be. They 5 of them all look like "need to know" players.
Even I was in awe last night. The crowd was electric the whole night and appreciative of their play all night!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Putting in subs is not going to be a solution against ND. If there's foul trouble they will just have to play through it because the drop off after the starting five is huge. This is where Tuck is sorely missed because she has a great all around game and is good at everything.
I disagree. Stokes can certainly play and depending on who is on the court for Notre Dame, either guard can give some minutes.

What do you think would happen if Chong had to play 5-10 minutes? ND would score at will? UConn would turn the ball over possession after possession?

I just don't get the angst.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
From Stef in the interview posted on ESPNw about one of her teammates:

For our only freshman, Saniya Chong -- it’s always hard your first year, but she has made it look easy by having great instincts when she’s on the floor.

Glad there's some insiders on the UConn team who don't look upon the freshman as the little lost girl. But what the hell does Stef know?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
1. I know the difference between a PG directing traffic and a PG correcting a lost player. It was the latter.

2. I'm sure Geno was playing the starters as much as he could get away with. Because he knows he can't count on the bench against better teams.

3. The bench is 1 deep. That's not much of a bench. And Fuller used the qualifier "often". It wasn't even an absolute, he was right.

Waqu....I disagree, but respect your right to your own opinion. I just don't know how you can read Geno's mind. I certainly can't. I think the bench is deeper, we'll see.
We agree on how starters played and getting #9.

Go Huskies..!!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
[quote="I just don't know how you can read Geno's mind. I certainly can't. [/quote]

I can.... "Dumb Boneyarders!!!" "-)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
[quote="I just don't know how you can read Geno's mind. I certainly can't.

I can.... "Dumb Boneyarders!!!" "-)[/quote]

Is Geno channeling Mike DiMauro?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ow do you know Geno was not playing the starters 30-33 minutes each to get ready for the next 4 games? If they do not play again until Saturday, maybe he just wants to get game time action, to stay sharp?

This is not uncommon at the end of the season. Players need to be accustomed to being on the court 30+, maybe even 40 minutes, at this time of year. In the past few years Mulkey played with a very tight 7-player rotation toward the end of the season to make sure that everyone was ready to play a high number of minutes. That is not the case this year as the talent level is pretty even between some of the starters and the bench players.

Reaction Score

You make it sound like ND is the bogeyman. It can be a good enough solution. Allen, Mabrey, Braker and Reimer aren't Michael Jordan. I'll take Stokes over Reimer too. It won't be Stokes vs. Mabrey.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have 5 terrific starters. When Kelly Faris was on the team fans criticized her for not scoring but those teams did pretty well. This years starting lineup has 5 terrific scorers at every position. Comparing their scoring with our bench is not fair. All 5 are AA's and imo all 5 will be 1st team AAs before they graduate. So when looking at our bench look at what they do when they come in. They dont score alot of points but they do score a few points and they do everything else very well. They are not 1st team AAs yet. Kiah rebounds, blocks shots intimadates but does not score alot so what she has 4 other scorers on the floor. Chong and BB make plays dont make mistakes but dont score alot so what. How many teams have bench players who can lite it up without making alot of turnovers? Our bench will be fine. They know what Geno wants and thats why theyre playing because theyre doing what he wants. Remember last season. MoJeff wasnt scoring alot, Bria was hurt. Look at them this season. Big difference.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
We have 5 terrific starters. When Kelly Faris was on the team fans criticized her for not scoring but those teams did pretty well. This years starting lineup has 5 terrific scorers at every position. Comparing their scoring with our bench is not fair. All 5 are AA's and imo all 5 will be 1st team AAs before they graduate. So when looking at our bench look at what they do when they come in. They dont score alot of points but they do score a few points and they do everything else very well. They are not 1st team AAs yet. Kiah rebounds, blocks shots intimadates but does not score alot so what she has 4 other scorers on the floor. Chong and BB make plays dont make mistakes but dont score alot so what. How many teams have bench players who can lite it up without making alot of turnovers? Our bench will be fine. They know what Geno wants and thats why theyre playing because theyre doing what he wants. Remember last season. MoJeff wasnt scoring alot, Bria was hurt. Look at them this season. Big difference.

Tony's posts are like a freshly brewed cup of coffee in the morning.

Reaction Score
When Kelly Faris was on the team fans criticized her for not scoring but those teams did pretty well.
They were right to encourage better shooting from Kelly. I thought her ability to hit the 3 , was the biggest reason they won the championship last year, rather than just doing "pretty well". I was impressed with how hard Kelly must have worked to improve her shot so much. Just like what Moriah has done. As the St. Joe's player said, you can't just focus on stopping Stewart, because there are 4 other great players on the floor.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has 3 players who play off their bench, if Wright is in the game that means 2 of 3 big's are in foul trouble, and so is Notre Dame against UConn. Notre Dame should be worried about someone staying with Moriah when she drives to the basket.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
U​
Notre Dame has 3 players who play off their bench, if Wright is in the game that means 2 of 3 big's are in foul trouble, and so is Notre Dame against UConn. Notre Dame should be worried about someone staying with Moriah when she drives to the basket.
You can almost say that about Cable for ND as well. She hasn't seen much time in the closer games.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
They don't score a lot of points but they do score a few points and they do everything else very well.
But Tony you're missing the point when you say "a few points."

Who from the reserves can come in and give UConn in a semis game like last year against ND the needed 4 points that were contributed then? That's not a few points, as I learned earlier in the year in a post about team scoring efficiency, that "a lot" of points. And if the team runs out to a 20 point lead after 30 minutes in the NC game, do you really think the reserves will be able to muster up 11 points like they did last year? 15 rebounds sure, 4 assists maybe, and a couple of blocks yeah, but how about all those critical points that the team needed to win by 33?

We are dooooooooooooooooooomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog