Bench Play | The Boneyard

Bench Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The key for the rest of the season is that UConn does not have foul or injury trouble. Their bench is one deep - Stokes. Banks and Chong aren't ready for prime time, maybe they can steal a few minutes here and there to give the starters a blow but that's it. Banks came in last night and made 4 poor plays in just the first minute and came out soon after. Chong came in later and didn't know where to go. Perhaps they'll catch lightning is a bottle one game but we can't count on it.

Reaction Score
Agree, except for Stokes and occasionally Chong our bench is unreliable.

HGN

Reaction Score
I want to disagree with Hongster and Waquoit but I can't.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Kiah looked lost out there. It's weird, she comes in and plays great against good competition...remember how she saved us against Stanford when Stewart got in foul trouble? Hopefully that Kiah shows up in the FF.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Their team average was 80% on FTs.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I guess I'd ask what kind of foul trouble are we talking about? One starter? Two? Is it a guard? A front court player?

What kind of foul trouble? 2 in the first half so Geno sits that player? 4 fouls with 10 minutes left?

Lots of scenarios. I submit that unless two starters actually foul out in a close game, foul trouble is just a small obstacle.

Add that to the fact that this team doesn't foul and I don't see it happening.

There isn't a team out there with the possible exception of ND that Uconn wouldn't beat handily even with a little foul trouble. I guess it's the overly optimistic in me, but I just believe that in the ND game, the bench will see enough time and be effective enough to withstand any foul issues.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
The key for the rest of the season is that UConn does not have foul or injury trouble. Their bench is one deep - Stokes. Banks and Chong aren't ready for prime time, maybe they can steal a few minutes here and there to give the starters a blow but that's it. Banks came in last night and made 4 poor plays in just the first minute and came out soon after. Chong came in later and didn't know where to go. Perhaps they'll catch lightning is a bottle one game but we can't count on it.

waquoit...With all due respect, what is the purpose of this post? Foul trouble is 10th on the list of "keys for the rest of the season." Right behind "bus from the hotel gets stuck in traffic." :cool: UConn's starters have learned to minimize their fouls, AND to play w/ 2 or 3 fouls w/out getting the next one. The five starters average 7.75 fouls per game combined! Only MoJeff has fouled out of any game this season.

Injury is a reality nobody can control. Of course it is key, but it is key for every team left in the tournament. UConn has had injuries this season and overcome them. Stating injury trouble is key is like telling everyone water is wet. No kidding.

Yes, "the bench sucks" is a topic we have flogged time and again here on the BY. Idiots like me write "fluff pieces" praising the bench and ignoring reality. Realist like you and others are just calling it like you see it. Insight like "Chong came in and didn't know where to go." is all some people need to realize Geno was probably wrong to give her a scholarship. :rolleyes: I think Geno's offense tends to be "unscripted" and involves free movement versus set plays. Looking lost or reversing your movement is common. Watch Stewie for 5 minutes moving w/out the ball. Do you really think Saniya didn't know where to go? Really? :(

I'll end w/ two questions. When injuries hit UConn hard early this season, did Kiah, Saniya and Banks respond w/ good games or did they suck? When they started and the pressure was on, did they fold? Maybe, just maybe, they could step up AGAIN when it was really needed, rather than coming in cold off the bench with the team up 15-20 pts. Yah, I know..."It shouldn't matter when they come in, they should be just as good." Some people are never happy and prefer focus on just the negative. I choose not to.
Go Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess I'd ask what kind of foul trouble are we talking about? One starter? Two? Is it a guard? A front court player?

What kind of foul trouble? 2 in the first half so Geno sits that player? 4 fouls with 10 minutes left?

Lots of scenarios. I submit that unless two starters actually foul out in a close game, foul trouble is just a small obstacle.

Add that to the fact that this team doesn't foul and I don't see it happening.

There isn't a team out there with the possible exception of ND that Uconn wouldn't beat handily even with a little foul trouble. I guess it's the overly optimistic in me, but I just believe that in the ND game, the bench will see enough time and be effective enough to withstand any foul issues.
Well, Doggy, I agree with every word of the above-referenced post. But I must have missed something over the last three or four months: When did you become a believer in the idea that ND was our most (sole?) credible opponent? Just asking...and welcoming you to the party...latecomers are just as welcome as those who arrive early!! (ribbing)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, Doggy, I agree with every word of the above-referenced post. But I must have missed something over the last three or four months: When did you become a believer in the idea that ND was our most (sole?) credible opponent? Just asking...and welcoming you to the party...latecomers are just as welcome as those who arrive early!! (ribbing)
I always felt that. I thought it was obvious....lol.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with Doggy and David (Naples).

First, we have the best starting 5 in the nation and it's not close. Second, bench strength is over rated when you have a starting 5 who could easily play 37 minutes EACH in a NC game. Third, it doesn't really matter who gets into foul trouble, even if that occurs. If it's Moriah, Hartley moves to the 1 and Stokes comes in. If it's Hartley, KML moves to the 2 and Stokes comes in. If it's KML, Stewie moves to the 3 and Stokes comes in. You get my point.

In a NC game, EVEN if UCONN only used 6 players and each starter ONLY got 35 minutes, that means Stokes would play 25 minutes. She's certainly capable of doing that and given her defensive prowess, even if she's not constantly looking for her offense, she's still a force out there.

Chong and Banks are not awful, but I do agree they contribute little on offense, and while competent on defense, it's just not really enough. Geno can't put Stokes in AND one of the reserve guards at the same time because it seems the offense stagnates (just my arm chair QB observations).

Who are we likely to face who really would provide a "scary" challenge? And no, this is not overconfidence or a mojo killer, it's a real question. The best team we will face to get to the final 4 is Depaul. NO offense to Bruno and his team, but would they even get within 20 points of UCONN? They beat a Duke team by 9 that HAD their starting backcourt when we demolished them. Potential matchup in the final 4 - probably Stanford, although they have the toughest road to get there at this point. Still, we thumped them by 19 and that was the game KML went down with her horrifying elbow injury and the team had to recover from that. Again no offense to Stanford, but KML is back 100% and then some. And btw, Kiah Stokes had 10 and 13 in that game.

So that brings us to ND.

Freshman PG Allen vs. Jefferson? Yikes
Loyd is terrific. Sensational even. Hartley? Just as good if not better as a senior and playing the best hoops of her career.
McBride vs. KML? A week ago I'd have given the nod to McBride. After last night's game, not so much. Wash
Bracker vs. Stewie? Won't even comment on that
Achonwa vs. Dolson - Love Achonwa's game - and I think she's a slightly stronger offensive force, but Dolson is a better facilitator so to be fair i'll call it a wash.

Bench - Reimer and Wright (forwards), Cable and Maybrey (guards) vs. Stokes, Chong and Banks. Definite nod to ND, but if our starters are in the game for 35+ minutes each, how do you think Reimer and Wright match up against Stewie or Dolson, and their guards vs. Hartley and Jefferson? Not really well at all.

Foul trouble always a concern for UCONN when you are a short bench. But how many times this season has anyone fouled out? Maybe once, if at all. The biggest problem would be if UCONN was forced into playing a zone for extended periods of time.

I'm not saying ND wouldn't be a tough game, but I don't get some of the "serious concern" comments...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Both Chong, Banks and Stokes all played in the first half and the offensive flow was maintained. That in itself is an important contribution. None looked confused or lost while on the court.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Foul trouble?

Who is more likely to get in foul trouble, Uconn or ND?

Who can best withstand foul trouble to their best players, uconn or ND.

I don't read ND fans constantly worrying about foul trouble on their message boards.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One of the "problems" I think, is, this starting 5 is playing so well together, that anyone who comes in might look a little out of place. I think Stokes, Chong and Banks do a pretty good job. Are they at the level of the 5 starters? No. You talking about 5 AA (eventually) players. Thinking back aways, there was a drop off when Battle or Moore came in too (for those 5 starters, Bird, DT, Cash, Jones, Williams). When you have such a tremendous 5, it's hard to be at their level. Especially last night, when they were really clicking.

All they need is a couple blows during the game. In a tighter game (ND), the starters will/can play 35-40 minutes if necessary.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So that brings us to ND.

Freshman PG Allen vs. Jefferson? Yikes
Loyd is terrific. Sensational even. Hartley? Just as good if not better as a senior and playing the best hoops of her career.
McBride vs. KML? A week ago I'd have given the nod to McBride. After last night's game, not so much. Wash
Bracker vs. Stewie? Won't even comment on that
Achonwa vs. Dolson - Love Achonwa's game - and I think she's a slightly stronger offensive force, but Dolson is a better facilitator so to be fair i'll call it a wash.
I wrote something similar a couple weeks ago. And agree with KML rounding back into form (and what form that was last night), UCONN is pretty much better at every position.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
waquoit...With all due respect, what is the purpose of this post? ....Yes, "the bench sucks" is a topic we have flogged time and again here on the BY. ...Insight like "Chong came in and didn't know where to go." is all some people need to realize Geno was probably wrong to give her a scholarship....Do you really think Saniya didn't know where to go? Really? ..I'll end w/ a question. When injuries hit UConn hard early this season, did Kiah, Saniya and Banks respond w/ good games or did they suck?... Some people are never happy and prefer focus on just the negative. I choose not to.

Ironically, the impetus for my post was a post I remember a while back that killed a guy (wrongly) for saying the bench was "often downright dreadful". I had to go back 270 posts to find it (2 bench posts out of 270, some flogging!) and it turns out it was yours! Anyway, I'm now an expert because I had great seats right near the court yesterday. My friend and I were talking and I said words to the effect that Geno must be way down on Banks and Chong since they were getting no run at all. Then when finally Banks gets a chance, she makes a dumb foul in the first 2 seconds! Three more bad plays and she's out in what, 2 minutes? I said Chong didn't know where she was going because MoJeff had to tell her where to go. Many. many people have asked why these guys haven't gotten more prep time in the run up to the tournament. Now we know. I'm not allowed to give an answer?

And I admit your last couple lines encapsulate what sometimes bothers me about this board. Making an observation with objective evidence doesn't automatically mean "never happy" and focusing on the negative. Even so, what's worse in my opinion are people, to borrow a phase from Judge Judy, "that pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ironically, the impetus for my post was a post I remember a while back that killed a guy (wrongly) for saying the bench was "often downright dreadful". I had to go back 270 posts to find it (2 bench posts out of 270, some flogging!) and it turns out it was yours! Anyway, I'm now an expert because I had great seats right near the court yesterday. My friend and I were talking and I said words to the effect that Geno must be way down on Banks and Chong since they were getting no run at all. Then when finally Banks gets a chance, she makes a dumb foul in the first 2 seconds! Three more bad plays and she's out in what, 2 minutes? I said Chong didn't know where she was going because MoJeff had to tell her where to go. Many. many people have asked why these guys haven't gotten more prep time in the run up to the tournament. Now we know. I'm not allowed to give an answer?

And I admit your last couple lines encapsulate what sometimes bothers me about this board. Making an observation with objective evidence doesn't automatically mean "never happy" and focusing on the negative. Even so, what's worse in my opinion are people, to borrow a phase from Judge Judy, "that pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."
Waq, while there are some that take issue that the bench doesn't play well, that is not where I had issue with your post.

"The key for the rest of the season is that UConn does not have foul or injury trouble."

I just don't agree with this. First, I won't even entertain the notion that someone might get hurt, but they were fine when KML was out and I don't see another team other than ND that has a chance against UConn even with an injury, even to Stewart.

In regards to fouls, unless its two players that Geno has to sit, UConn is just fine for a few minutes with the bench replacing a starter. And based on this team, why even worry about it. They just don't foul that much.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And the format of two games, take thee rest of the week off,
favors a team with a short bench.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wow, if it's not the attendance, which saw a decent jump from the last two years but is still not enough with certain fans who are not happy unless they are swimming in sewage, it has to be the bench, which can never do enough whether they get some decent minutes and pull down 15 rebounds against PV or get just a small batch of minutes and grab 10 against SJU.

I just don't get it why certain fans need to find little nits to complain about right now. Personally, I'm just happy that while Kiah is wandering around lost on the court she still can kind of absentmindedly collect 7 rebounds and do a volleyball stuff that was highlight material. And I know it's horrible that MoJeff has to communicate with Saniya while the two PGs are out in tandem, I'm still happy the lost Chongster could give Stef a beautiful feed and set up Stewie for a highlight rebound and lay-in off the missed three even though she couldn't make two stay down like against PV. And though Brianna looks like a bit of a loose cannon sometimes, I'm still glad she'll blast to the basket when she has the chance. And Tierney didn't turn it over, and Polly was knocking down incredible high-5s all game.

But mostly I'm glad that five starters who are having a lot of fun and are blowing up opponents leave little else for me to wish for. But I realize this is all foolish and I should be donning my grim apparel and diving into a potty hole.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
But I realize this is all foolish and I should be donning my grim apparel and diving into a potty hole.

Fortunately, by the end of your post you came to your senses....

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
One of the "problems" I think, is, this starting 5 is playing so well together, that anyone who comes in might look a little out of place. I think Stokes, Chong and Banks do a pretty good job. Are they at the level of the 5 starters? No. You talking about 5 AA (eventually) players. Thinking back aways, there was a drop off when Battle or Moore came in too (for those 5 starters, Bird, DT, Cash, Jones, Williams). When you have such a tremendous 5, it's hard to be at their level. Especially last night, when they were really clicking.

While I agree with you that the starting five has such great chemistry (last night's game was as much of an offensive juggernaut as I have ever seen in the women's game), the bench players have had time to play with the starters, due to the injuries that UConn has faced (especially to KML). Chong, Stokes, and Banks have all started multiple games (Bank: 8, Chong: 4, Stokes: 2). I think some of the posters feel that the bench should be contributing more (or at least should have contributed more in last night's game), given that the players have had opportunities with four of the starting five players.

But I agree with your point that when the starting five is playing at the level that they exhibited last night, any player coming into the game would have a hard time matching that level, simply because it was such an incredible performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom