Bench #20 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bench #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Time for HCBD to treat Obi like a 101 student and put him in assignments he is capable of handling. Excellent athlete does not necessarily translate into a good or even serviceable free safety. This kid makes too many mistakes and doesn't go for the ball (not sure how often he even knows where the ball is). Just like the OL, need to scheme this kid at a level he can handle. Kind of reminds me of expectations on Jerome Junior that never seemed to pan out with actual performance.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
I watched the replay. The TD that Obi got beat on was a tough assignment. But it's still a play, with the proper technique and eye discipline (God I sound like Edsall), that could have made. Or, even made more difficult. In fairness to Obi, maybe the coaches are asking him to do a little too much there. Things that he's maybe not quite ready for.

I don't think he could have made that play from where he lined up. So was it a bad d call? Did he line up too far off the ball? Was he supposed to get help and didn't?

I remember having conversations with Sio on certain plays like that and sometimes the guy that got beat was doing what he was supposed to or had no chance because the overall call was wrong. Sometimes you get beat by scheme.

Back in the Dan O days you could see him at the line looking for those mismatches and exploiting them.

Reaction Score
On a side note...Galloway was strong. He actually provided insight from his experience as a player. It's amazing how many ex athletes who do color, forget that the reason they are there is to share their perspective and experiences.

It is pretty amazing how little Dan Fouts brings to a broadcast. I loved him as a player ... and I wish he would share more intricate details with the audience.

Reaction Score
I don't think he could have made that play from where he lined up. So was it a bad d call? Did he line up too far off the ball? Was he supposed to get help and didn't?

I remember having conversations with Sio on certain plays like that and sometimes the guy that got beat was doing what he was supposed to or had no chance because the overall call was wrong. Sometimes you get beat by scheme.

Back in the Dan O days you could see him at the line looking for those mismatches and exploiting them.

Maybe parsing words here. It's a very low percentage play for him to make if he plays it correctly. But he didn't play it correctly. And it turned into a high percentage play for the offense into an absolutely ridiculous pitch and catch gimme. He can learn, and I hate that we've beaten him up this long, so I'm going to stop posting about it.

Reaction Score
I watched the replay. The TD that Obi got beat on was a tough assignment. But it's still a play, with the proper technique and eye discipline (God I sound like Edsall), that could have made. Or, even made more difficult. In fairness to Obi, maybe the coaches are asking him to do a little too much there. Things that he's maybe not quite ready for.

I disagree. Overall he made mistakes in the game but he was doomed on that play. Total mismatch positionally and the scheme was bad. Even a corner would have failed that assignment.

Reaction Score

On the money as usual. Pretty sure it was intended for him to be lined up there. I am sure they will correct that mistake as it was a pretty important play in the game.

Reaction Score
I'm actually watching replay of the game now, that website is pretty cool. On the TD late in the 2nd Q, it looks like Boise had set up Obi to get beat. They must have seen it against Stony Brook, and what we were doing to stop Ajayi through 2 quarters. On the play before, he's set up in man coverage on the slot, they run a play fake to Ajayi in the backfield, and throw to the slot on square in route. Obi closes and makes a good tackle. The next play, same coverage, the QB runs play action again run fake again to Ajayi, then adds a pump fake to the slot, the receiver runs a simple hitch and go type of route, both motions, the QB, and the receiver, freezes Obi, who had to have been watching the QB pump fake the ball, and then he doesn't have enough space to close the gap, before the TD. He's actually fast enough, that if that happens on the other 20 yard line, he most likely makes the tackle. Big gain, in the open field, but in that postion, a big mistake that cost us 6.

http://uconnhuskygames.com/2014-football-game-replays/

He's simply got to get better at his gulp,,,I agree....Edsallian terminology - eye discipline.

There is no doubt that other teams we will play, have seen this, and try to exploit it. When he's in man coverage, he's got to keep his eyes on his man. Save the watching the backfield for other situations.

Excellent breakdown. You should be a color commentator! They were hyper focused on stopping the run. They were highly successful in doing so but unfortunately got burned long big time. I say Obi learns, he is a quick study and he has got great teachers in Diaco and Poindexter.

Reaction Score
In the DB defense - Sio and the other backers were able to make calls on the fly when they saw things that they needed to address. Not sure we are at that level so at the line adjustments may or may not be happening yet (at the 100 level).

Reaction Score
In the DB defense - Sio and the other backers were able to make calls on the fly when they saw things that they needed to address. Not sure we are at that level so at the line adjustments may or may not be happening yet (at the 100 level).

I agree with the stuff you've put up for sure. There is a level of communication, and shifting, assignments that needs to happen on the field to be really, really good, and it's logical, that 3 games into this season, with a new head coach and DC, and a new system - we aren't there yet. But I think you're overthinking this one, and lord knows, I know what overthinking is!!!

After watching that replay on line, it seems clear to me, that Boise, after the first quarter, into the second Q on offense, they started trying all kinds of stuff with play fakes, to move their offense because we were shutting Ajayi down. You can stuff the running game, when you have defensive tackles like we've got. The scored both of their TD's to go up 21-10, after being down 10-7 on play action run fake designs. The first was the Obi, isolation, and the second was the trick play, end around throw to the QB, where our entire defense was caught with their shorts around their ankles. We adjusted after the half, and learned from the 2nd Q- imagine that.

On the first TD, the Boise offense set up Obi like a pin to be knocked down, he got isolated in single man coverage, was looking at the QB, bit on a pump fake, and the receiver blew by. It's not a complex issue, and highly unlikely that it was a bad defense to be in, or indefensible or anything like that, needing adjustment. The correction, is all mental, from the single player- recognize that you're in man coverage, and keep your eyes on your receiver. It's not a difficult issue to flesh out as to what went wrong on that play. He's got to show improvement though, that's all. I'm sure he will.

If you do actually watch the entire thing, there is plenty, plenty of positive that Obi did, and he saved one sure TD. Things all tend to balance out in a football game, and the team that makes the least amount of mistakes on offense, defense, and kicking wins. We made too many mistakes to win. the offensive possession in the 2nd Q that went 30 yards backward and ended in a shanked punt?

Lot more mistakes happened in the game, that led to us losing, than giving up 6 points on that post pattern, where Obi got burned on a QB pump fake.

I just think it's foolish to think that benching a player like #20 is a good idea. Develop him, into what he can be. If he can't keep his eyes where they're supposed to be, then you look to replace. That is not the case as of yet. He's just got to demonstrate the ability to learn.

He isn't the only player in that same position on this roster, and it's unfair to single him out.

Reaction Score
Time for HCBD to treat Obi like a 101 student and put him in assignments he is capable of handling. Excellent athlete does not necessarily translate into a good or even serviceable free safety. This kid makes too many mistakes and doesn't go for the ball (not sure how often he even knows where the ball is). Just like the OL, need to scheme this kid at a level he can handle. Kind of reminds me of expectations on Jerome Junior that never seemed to pan out with actual performance.
I was actually thinking exactly the same thing and thought of Junior too. sometimes coaches get too hung up on "measurables" and don't quite get that the guy is lacking in some other aspect of the game that they need to work around.

Reaction Score
Appreciate all the armchair analysis but I'll wait to grade him after his performance in the USF game. Expect a standout effort with the accolades flowing.

Reaction Score
QBs must be told to look where 20 is and throw in that direction.
Yeah Obi is athletic but he's not a DB

AGAIN he got toasted for a TD! God this kid is like a target for opposing QB's!!!!

Reaction Score
Doggie Style said:
AGAIN he got toasted for a TD! God this kid is like a target for opposing QB's!!!!

Are you watching on a delay or something?

Reaction Score
Appreciate all the armchair analysis but I'll wait to grade him after his performance in the USF game. Expect a standout effort with the accolades flowing.

Yikes....we'll give you a mulligan

Reaction Score
Nobody will believe me, but that 2nd TD, early - there's not much else Obi could have done about it. He played a good game. We, once again, did not lose a game, because our free safety gave up a play that led to 6 points. He had a good game. The entire D played well. Our offense was putrid.

Reaction Score
Nobody will believe me, but that 2nd TD, early - there's not much else Obi could have done about it. He played a good game. We, once again, did not lose a game, because our free safety gave up a play that led to 6 points. He had a good game. The entire D played well. Our offense was putrid.

Our defense played well, but no, Obi did not have a good game. Maybe sitting for a bit will help.

Reaction Score
Ellis Marder has the skills to replace Obi if the coaches make a move.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
Ellis Marder has the skills to replace Obi if the coaches make a move.

Until he gets beat. Then it is some high school kid that isn't on the roster yet.

Reaction Score
Marder played 7 on 7 in Fl with a D Backfield that had big time D-1 players including the current starting running back for FSU and current safeties in Big 10 and PAC 12 . He replaced HaHa Clinton Dix on that 7 on 7 roster when Dix went on to Alabama and was one of the stars. He was recruited by several big programs. He is being wasted on the bench. Notice his speed on special teams? He's downed several punts already. Obi's brother Michael mentioned that Obi had really bulked up. I believe he's a stiffer player this year. If Poindexter pulls the trigger look for Marder to get lots more playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom