Before you promote Boyle's ascension ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Before you promote Boyle's ascension ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Jimmy,
I completely agree. If Boyle can't play just say so. If he tried and couldn't go, that's not a crime. Imagine how different it would have been if Diaco had just said "Boyle tried to play but was hampered by his sore ankle (or other body part), so we decided to give Foxx some game experience in case we need to use him." Seems totally rational to me.

Exactly - not giving away State secrets by saying that...

Wish I didnt throw out my kids decoder ring he left on the counter from his box of Fruit Loops...

Reaction Score
Jimmy,
I completely agree. If Boyle can't play just say so. If he tried and couldn't go, that's not a crime. Imagine how different it would have been if Diaco had just said "Boyle tried to play but was hampered by his sore ankle (or other body part), so we decided to give Foxx some game experience in case we need to use him." Seems totally rational to me.

He's actually not doing Boyle any favors by making these silly comments.

Reaction Score
Watch the Temple interception. (it is easily available on ESPN video)

The play begins with a decent Temple rush; but, the 5 OLinemen (including Rutherford, Hopkins, Bockeloh, Crozier, Knappe) do a solid job creating a pocket. All looks good and no real pressure. Just an inaccurate undisciplined toss.

I don't know if Tim Boyle rises to Dan Orlovsky. He needs a chance; and I guess that is the argument. But, be careful with your expectations. He does not give us a better chance ... probably ... than Chandler Whitmer today. That probably comes down to, and not just the COACH view, leadership. But at 1-4, we now know what this season is about: the Future years. We will see Boyle pushed out on that field far more. He needs to grow and develop ... and let's change our mindset as a fanbase as this happens. He is going to duck*up.

One play is not relevant.

Here's what's relevant. Whitmer can't lead the team to wins. So stay with him and you end up with a 2-10 record. Then he graduates so even if he learned anything, he's gone.

Boyle can get is the same two wins, plus he returns next year, so it is possible to get a return on investment. Plus, he may flourish as the starter and get the team wins this year.

Playing Whitmer is a lose/lose.

Playing Boyle is a win/win.

Reaction Score
If he's healthy enough to take a single snap, he's healthy enough to play an entire game. I don't get your point, other than you've seen enough of Whitmer, I suppose and want to see Boyle play.

I have seen nothing of Boyle in the past 2 seasons that tells me he's ready to help this team win now, and if he's playing significantly less than 100%, no reason for me to expect he's going to improve those chances to win.

Why he's playing 5-10 reps a game at all? That's a question, that's part of a much bigger picture question, that I don't see any reasonable explanation for. Playing hurt, injured, or with a booboo on his toe or something, has got nothing to do with those questions.

I hated the rotational nonsense. Myself and others got killed on this board for speaking out. We'll never know if it may have cost us the BSU or USF games. I hated throwing away games because I thought we'd need some serious luck to go bowling this year.

But at 1-4? Well now it truly is about development. If there isn't a significant gap in talent at certain positions, play the young kids. I'm looking at Boyle, Crozier, and Rutherford.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My guess is Boyle has turf toe or some other "injury" (a contusion, perhaps) that won't get physically worse if he plays on it, but requires time for the pain to decrease below player's pain threshold. Right now the pain is impeding Boyle's ability to be effective, which is totally understandable. Perhaps they want Boyle to get shot up, but he is refusing? Who knows? Really, if the injury won't get any worse, pain threshold is a difference between playing hurt and having a injury. However, I (for one) am not prepared to call out a unproven (as yet) 19 year old kid solely for my own entertainment...I'll wait 'til next year, when I have more information.

Reaction Score
To me the preponderance of evidence suggests pretty strongly that Boyle is not available to play. Diaco's comments, while cryptic strongly indicate that as does the decision to hold him out of the South Florida game and his limited use against Temple and the decision to give Foxx some snaps at quarterback. If Diaco was even a bit clearer in his explanations this might be pretty obvious. Bottom line is I think we'll continue to see little of Boyle until he is healthy, whatever that means. I originally thought that Diaco had invented this hurt but not injured meme to cover for not playing Boyle at USF. After Temple, though I have changed my mind. I suspect he has something, let's call it a booboo, that is limiting his ability to play quarterback.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
To me the preponderance of evidence suggests pretty strongly that Boyle is not available to play. Diaco's comments, while cryptic strongly indicate that as does the decision to hold him out of the South Florida game and his limited use against Temple and the decision to give Foxx some snaps at quarterback. If Diaco was even a bit clearer in his explanations this might be pretty obvious. Bottom line is I think we'll continue to see little of Boyle until he is healthy, whatever that means. I originally thought that Diaco had invented this hurt but not injured meme to cover for not playing Boyle at USF. After Temple, though I have changed my mind. I suspect he has something, let's call it a booboo, that is limiting his ability to play quarterback.
That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out post.

Who are you and what did you do with the REAL Freescooter?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I had a booboo once...man those things are brutal and take forever to heal.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco's discussion of injuries is legally correct in today's world, especially for institutions like UConn. Many of us are used to the NFL's injury policy which requires disclosure and it is why we get detailed injury reports. It seems NFL teams are not covered entities under HIPAA, which is why they are allowed/required to disclose. Unfortunately, we don't like it, but it is what it is. It does seem that college athlete injury disclosure policies are not universal.

As for Boyle's pain/injury. It doesn't surprise me that he could have pain in his lower leg and only gets limited minutes on the field. Imagine if you are a jogger and you are recovering from a sprained ankle. You would probably slowly ramp your mileage until you got back to full strength. Ramping your miles too fast could cause you to reinjure your ankle.

Reaction Score
Watch the Temple interception. (it is easily available on ESPN video)

The play begins with a decent Temple rush; but, the 5 OLinemen (including Rutherford, Hopkins, Bockeloh, Crozier, Knappe) do a solid job creating a pocket. All looks good and no real pressure. Just an inaccurate undisciplined toss.

I don't know if Tim Boyle rises to Dan Orlovsky. He needs a chance; and I guess that is the argument. But, be careful with your expectations. He does not give us a better chance ... probably ... than Chandler Whitmer today. That probably comes down to, and not just the COACH view, leadership. But at 1-4, we now know what this season is about: the Future years. We will see Boyle pushed out on that field far more. He needs to grow and develop ... and let's change our mindset as a fanbase as this happens. He is going to duck*up.

A few things Pudge:

1. You listed the backup OL. I am fairly certain the starting OL (Levy, Cruz, Mateas, Samra and Gifford) was in. I'm fairly certain that is the play that Gifford got hurt on.

2. So are you retracting yesterday's comment that his arm got hit as he threw? I haven't gone back and watched (I'd rather kill myself) but live it just look like an underthrow of a ball that can't be underthrown.

3. Of course Boyle isn't going to make us a much better team.

4. If Boyle is healthy, I would expect that he does get more of a serious audition, and not just a cameo, by New Orleans. As to his physical condition, I'm not wasting my time trying to figure out WTF HCBD is saying. What he has said, in whole, is totally illogical, but we don't lose games based on what he says to the press or fans so I'm not wasting my breath guessing what he means.

Reaction Score
A few things Pudge:

1. You listed the backup OL. I am fairly certain the starting OL (Levy, Cruz, Mateas, Samra and Gifford) was in. I'm fairly certain that is the play that Gifford got hurt on.

2. So are you retracting yesterday's comment that his arm got hit as he threw? I haven't gone back and watched (I'd rather kill myself) but live it just look like an underthrow of a ball that can't be underthrown.

4. If Boyle is healthy, I would expect that he does get more of a serious audition, and not just a cameo, by New Orleans. As to his physical condition, I'm not wasting my time trying to figure out WTF HCBD is saying. What he has said, in whole, is totally illogical, but we don't lose games based on what he says to the press or fans so I'm not wasting my breath guessing what he means.

You are confusing Boyle's pick with Whitmer's pick.

Reaction Score
You are confusing Boyle's pick with Whitmer's pick.

Totally understandable really. For me at least. By the time the 4th quarter of games has been rolling around recently, progressively over the past 3 seasons, I"ve been pretty cocked and the field and numbers pretty blurry, if I'm still even watching. The team's performance over the past 3.41666666666 seasons has not been good for my drinking habits. I drink more, sleep less. Oh well. It's good to have a bye week.

Reaction Score
A few things Pudge:

HEY ... you must be deep into something important; because, this post of yours is nonsense.

I said Boyle.

I watched the ESPN video ... stopped it every 3-5 seconds ... watching the second team OLine. And I dragged out the Roster ... and went number by number. ( I had never seen number 70 before) I got to see Hashemi run a route ... with 2 guys on him.

It was Boyle. WHITMER did have his arm hit on his interception; hence, it was not near enough flight for Foxx. But ... this Boyle one ... he just did not bear down and make a D1 throw. And the play was doable.

A BYE is a good thing.

Reaction Score
HEY ... you must be deep into something important; because, this post of yours is nonsense.

I said Boyle.

I watched the ESPN video ... stopped it every 3-5 seconds ... watching the second team OLine. And I dragged out the Roster ... and went number by number. ( I had never seen number 70 before) I got to see Hashemi run a route ... with 2 guys on him.

It was Boyle. WHITMER did have his arm hit on his interception; hence, it was not near enough flight for Foxx. But ... this Boyle one ... he just did not bear down and make a D1 throw. And the play was doable.

A BYE is a good thing.

Hashemi has played? His RS is burned?

Reaction Score
Are you surprised? If so, why?

Yes. There are 3 TE's ahead of him (McQuillan, Myers, Bloom). TE is probably not going to be his position in the future (he was recruited as an OT). I thought they moved him there for depth purposes only (along with Lawley). I believe he's only getting garbage time. That is a complete waste of a year. It's Pasqualoni-esque if you ask me.

But I'm sure you'll have some brilliant explanation why it was necessary to play Hashemi.

Reaction Score
Yes. There are 3 TE's ahead of him (McQuillan, Myers, Bloom). TE is probably not going to be his position in the future (he was recruited as an OT). I thought they moved him there for depth purposes only (along with Lawley). I believe he's only getting garbage time. That is a complete waste of a year. It's Pasqualoni-esque if you ask me.

But I'm sure you'll have some brilliant explanation why it was necessary to play Hashemi.

Seriously? I've been asking for one for weeks - since BYU - since we claimed some kind of moral victory by playing 50+ players on offense, and 35+ or something on defense - as to WTF we are doing with all these substitutions.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Hashemi was in the game, I bet he's played more than that. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a single player on this roster, that qualifies for a red-shirt season, and no, I have no explanation.

Reaction Score
Seriously? I've been asking for one for weeks - since BYU - since we claimed some kind of moral victory by playing 50+ players on offense, and 35+ or something on defense - as to WTF we are doing with all these substitutions.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Hashemi was in the game, I bet he's played more than that. It wouldn't surprise me if we have a single player on this roster, that qualifies for a red-shirt season, and no, I have no explanation.

My apologies. This whole year is making me cranky.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Temple is the only game Hashemi has played in.

It makes sense to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer