Baylor plays tonight on Fox Sports | The Boneyard

Baylor plays tonight on Fox Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The first of many tough OOC games.

But it is a good chance to see Alexis Jones, as well as the two new bigs. All three look impressive. Brown is every bit of 6-7 and Mompremier is just a super athlete that is a monster on the boards.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The first of many tough OOC games.

But it is a good chance to see Alexis Jones, as well as the two new bigs. All three look impressive. Brown is every bit of 6-7 and Mompremier is just a super athlete that is a monster on the boards.
I'm so glad Baylor got those 2 post players and not Tennessee (or anyone in the SEC for that matter). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that McCoy chooses the path of light and goes to OSU...

Plus, honestly, I don't mind Mulkey at all. Sure her wardrobe choices are somewhat legendarily fun(ny), but I think she does a good job of getting a lot out of her kids and she's proven to be a sustainable recruiter. Meaning she wasn't just a flash in the pan. Like Muffett, success has been sustained over a fairly long and consistent period of time. And like ND, Baylor seems to be peaking again. I think they will be a final 4 contender for at least the next 3 years. What happens next will depend on recruting...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ugly game offensively tonight. Mulkey tried every combination of players possible.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ugly game offensively tonight. Mulkey tried every combination of players possible.

Ugly is just about right. 36% from the floor (25% from 3), 54% from the foul line against Massey's #185 rated team -UT Arlington. Final score 62-20

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You're just catching wind of this?[/QUOT

Not really. I have a lot of respect for Mulkey and what she's doing at Baylor. I watched her play when she was at Louisiana Tech with Leon Barmore back in the 80's.

I was a Baylor fan during the Griner years. I have mo ill will for her or her program. I would just like to see her play a more competitive OOC schedule that this. Perhaps 1 or 2 more ranked teams?

East T, you know as well as I do that iron sharpens iron. It's hard to improve when you play teams that are not you're equal in terms of size or talent.

I'll watch her program with some interest this year. I'll wait to see everyone (other top ranked teams) play before I make any kind of post season predictions as to how I predict they'll finish, or how far they'll get in the tournament. This is going to be an interesting season for sure.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Is it really permitted to for D1 schools to play unlimited preseason games spaced out over November and December? :rolleyes:
It certainly appears that Baylor is trying that experiment - I count six laughable opponents between now and Christmas.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ugly is just about right. 36% from the floor (25% from 3), 54% from the foul line against Massey's #185 rated team -UT Arlington. Final score 62-20

UT Arlington played tremendous defense from the FT line.

Alexis Prince, typically a very good shooter (42% FG/36% 3-point last season) almost single-handedly brought down the FG% by going 0-11 from the field and 0-3 from three point range. And Kristy Wallace (40% FG/37% 3-point last season) went 1-6 from the floor (0-2 from 3 point range). So, despite the miserable FG % it is an anomaly from last season, so it doesn't worry me. Hopefully it looks better against Southern Miss tonight.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Nobody would rather see a more competitive OOC schedule than I would, so you are preaching to the choir on this subject.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nobody would rather see a more competitive OOC schedule than I would, so you are preaching to the choir on this subject.
And it is unfair to single out Baylor, though they being as good as we expect them to be may be 'relatively' the worst. There are a number of P5 teams that just stack up trash opponents for the first two months of the season.

I would like to see the NCAA committee really penalize P5 teams for bad schedules when it comes to at large bids - take the 19 and 10 team that played up and lost over the 22-7 P5 team that stacked up 10 OOC wins against nobodies.
Everyone says they want to 'improve' the profile of WCBB - well start forcing teams to create better schedules. The back end of the at large pool isn't going anywhere in the tournament anyway, so start giving the bad schedule teams worse seeds and/or replacing them with a few more mid-majors - they may not be better teams, but at least they try. You want a #1 or #2 seed - we better see a few good teams in your OOC and a few games on the road, otherwise, even if your are undefeated, the best you get is a #3 seed.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Discretion is the better part of valor.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
And it is unfair to single out Baylor, though they being as good as we expect them to be may be 'relatively' the worst. There are a number of P5 teams that just stack up trash opponents for the first two months of the season.

I would like to see the NCAA committee really penalize P5 teams for bad schedules when it comes to at large bids - take the 19 and 10 team that played up and lost over the 22-7 P5 team that stacked up 10 OOC wins against nobodies.
Everyone says they want to 'improve' the profile of WCBB - well start forcing teams to create better schedules. The back end of the at large pool isn't going anywhere in the tournament anyway, so start giving the bad schedule teams worse seeds and/or replacing them with a few more mid-majors - they may not be better teams, but at least they try. You want a #1 or #2 seed - we better see a few good teams in your OOC and a few games on the road, otherwise, even if your are undefeated, the best you get is a #3 seed.
Hallelujah! I'm glad someone is saying it. I would love to see more mid majors get in they atleast play with some heart. Also, I would wager to say there are good number of mid-major coaches that could out coach the back end of the at large pool as well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Wouldn't that penalize the team that they play earlier in the tournament just as much as it would penalize the team with the bad OOC schedule. Baylor is very possibly a number 1 seed as far as talent is concerned so the team that they would have to play earlier as the number 3 seed would be the loser in that case. Give Baylor a 4 seed and let them play the number one seed in the regional semis...in Dallas. That would work for me.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hallelujah! I'm glad someone is saying it. I would love to see more mid majors get in they atleast play with some heart. Also, I would wager to say there are good number of mid-major coaches that could out coach the back end of the at large pool as well.

This is not something that someone hasn't said on this board every year since I have been hanging out here.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

So, a bad OOC schedule would mean more than going through the ACC undefeated? If you go through the ACC regular season and tourney undefeated but you have no top 10 teams in you OOC schedule so the best you get is a #3 seed?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, a bad OOC schedule would mean more than going through the ACC undefeated? If you go through the ACC regular season and tourney undefeated but you have no top 10 teams in you OOC schedule so the best you get is a #3 seed?
Well ... it would sure get coaches reconsidering their scheduling! Not to worry it will never happen, but putting some pressure on coaches to improve OOC scheduling is pretty impossible without some 'penalty' imposed in some manner. And if you look around the P5 you see that most of the top end of each conference already does that because they need some prep before conference play begins. Really, in that respect Baylor stands out in a negative light.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well ... it would sure get coaches reconsidering their scheduling! Not to worry it will never happen, but putting some pressure on coaches to improve OOC scheduling is pretty impossible without some 'penalty' imposed in some manner. And if you look around the P5 you see that most of the top end of each conference already does that because they need some prep before conference play begins. Really, in that respect Baylor stands out in a negative light.

So basically you are OK with penalizing the opponents in order to punish the "bad OOC schedule" culprit?

But the committee already does this. They always consider OOC schedules when assigning seeds and they have stated that it enters into their decisions. Baylor might have had a 1 seed last season had it not been for the weak OOC schedule, but apparently Mulkey thinks she prepares her players better by not breaking down their confidence early, especially the freshmen. She obviously knew when making this schedule that she was going to have a top 5 team so I don't think it is a fear of losing as much as it is a decision that she learns more by playing games where the team is not as worried about the outcome.

With the class that she has coming in next season, mixed with the returners, I hope that she breaks from that pattern because it sucks for us fans to watch a bunch of blowouts.

And for the record, not all of the OOC games are played at home, as two are played on a neutral court. Not that this is anything to brag about, but more for accuracy sake.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Really, all it does is give fans a reason to complain about something they really shouldn't care about at all and for the same people to say the same thing that they have already said multiple times. The only ones that suffer are the Baylor fans.

We all get it...Baylor's OOC schedule sucks. I will put that as my tag line so everyone is not compelled to repeat saying it all season long.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really, all it does is give fans a reason to complain about something they really shouldn't care about at all. The only ones that suffer are the Baylor fans.
I actually disagree on this - I would probably tuned in to watch at least some of Baylor's game if I thought it would have been competitive as I would for other teams as well, but watching what amounts to preseason games - many are certainly as lop-sided - is not something I was interested in. Watching Nina Davis play against a worth opponent is one thing, her doing a layup drill is another. And it is the point I am getting at.

I love watching Uconn play even when they play the bottom of the AAC because I am seriously invested in them, but I certainly don't expect fans of other teams to bother watching a 50 point blow out. That is a problem for the general health of the women's game. If the game is going to grow, then it needs to grow beyond the conference season - there need to be good competitive games from November - April, and not just a smattering. And TV can only drive so much of that, the coaches need to get invested in it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom