Baylor-Oregon State thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Baylor-Oregon State thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Big props to Rueck a giant coach at about 5'7".
Big props to the OSU administration for giving him the chance.
Big props to a lot of players playing with 4 fouls and surviving.
Big props to the Pac12 for getting two into the FF.
Big props to Russ Davis, the Cal Swish coach who has 3 players in this years FF. KLS, Atchley on UW and Hanson on OSU.
(I think they all played together on one of their teams with Lou)
One final big prop to the 45 year old gal who back in 2010, when Rueck took over and only had 2 players returning, tried out for the team. She was a YMCA gym rat, who never had finished college. It turns out she had been out of college too long to return, per NCAA rules, but Rueck gave her a shot.

Reaction Score
And it must be said: Two Pac-12 teams in the Final Four, for what I think is the first time ever.

Scott Rueck raised up this program from THE DEAD in just a short 4 years.

And Stanford isn't one of them. While they've had a bit of a down year, it shows that the rest of the Pac-12 has worked on improving to finally start catching up to the giant in the conference.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geez. I just saw Mechelle Voepel's tweet where she compares Weisner to, of all people, Kendra Wecker (former Kansas State player). Really? Everything has to relate back to Kansas for her.

Reaction Score
Very impressed with Oregon State.

Jamie Weisner was rated #41 on HG and in the 200's by Blue Star. Sydney Wiese was ranked 80 by HG and 66 by Blue Star. Hamblin was not rated (she started playing in HS, so barely played/was seen), and both Hunter and Hanson were 3 star by HG or in the 200's. Very impressive. Shows you what a good coach can do.

I wonder how Russell, Nared and Reynolds feel? Isn't Oregon State the local team? They go to Tennessee hoping to go to F4...

Plebe

Reaction Score
Big props to Russ Davis, the Cal Swish coach who has 3 players in this years FF. KLS, Atchley on UW and Hanson on OSU.
One final big prop to the 45 year old gal who back in 2010, when Rueck took over and only had 2 players returning, tried out for the team. She was a YMCA gym rat, who never had finished college. It turns out she had been out of college too long to return, per NCAA rules, but Rueck gave her a shot.

Two Phoenix products in the FF: Osahor and Wiese. I think maybe they were AAU teammates.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think it's obvious that Baylor's strategy got them in the end. They did not look prepared at all down the stretch to finish a tough game. Texas is a good team, yes, but they play them every year and know exactly how they play. Mulkey should schedule tougher teams from other conferences to prepare Baylor for different types of games in the tournament.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Very impressed with Oregon State.

Jamie Weisner was rated #41 on HG and in the 200's by Blue Star. Sydney Wiese was ranked 80 by HG and 66 by Blue Star. Hamblin was not rated (she started playing in HS, so barely played/was seen), and both Hunter and Hanson were 3 star by HG or in the 200's. Very impressive. Shows you what a good coach can do.

I wonder how Russell, Nared and Reynolds feel? Isn't Oregon State the local team? They go to Tennessee hoping to go to F4...

One of the local teams, to be sure. But no McD's AA's would have even considered going to Oregon State back then. Although Alleyne (a SoCal product) did choose Oregon.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think it's obvious that Baylor's strategy got them in the end. They did not look prepared at all down the stretch to finish a tough game. Texas is a good team, yes, but they play them every year and know exactly how they play. Mulkey should schedule tougher teams from other conferences to prepare Baylor for different types of games in the tournament.
Actually, scratch that. You keep doing exactly what you're doing, Mulkey. Jacket throwing and all.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And in a year in which the conventional wisdom held that there was a clear gap between the top four teams and everyone else. Apparently, not so much.

I just had the same thought. The top 4 seemed so clearly above the rest of the bunch. Although OSU wasn't far behind, especially when you consider that Wiese missed a bunch of games this season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That technical :rolleyes: translated into 3 points for OSU. Difference in the final score... 3 Pts! 60-57.

How was it 3 points? Weisner hit just 1 of the 2 tech FTs.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but Mulkey loses these games for her team. That technical? Stupid. Calling your last time out with 3:55 to go in the fourth quarter? Ridiculous. Her team played with no poise down the stretch as she was increasingly pulling her hair out.
Poise is usually in short supply when shocks of hair are flying about. :)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Two Phoenix products in the FF: Osahor and Wiese. I think maybe they were AAU teammates.
I think Osahor and Ekmark were teammates on both St Marys and the club team Ekmark's dad ran. Dont remember if Weise was on that team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Osahor and Ekmark were teammates on both St Marys and the club team Ekmark's dad ran. Dont remember if Weise was on that team.

Yes, you are definitely right about Osahor and Ekmark being teammates on a very good team at St. Mary's High School. (I used to live about 5 minutes from that school! Shoutout to Phoenix.)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I watched the game and I still don't know how Baylor lost the game. OSU didn't hit a 3 point shot in 2nd half and OSU's guards seemed almost afraid to take a shot. They passed up open looks ot pass the ball into middle resulting in TO's. This was a game the Baylor players have to wonder how they lost. This was a home game for Baylor. Alexis Prince was a non factor and for the most part so was Nina Davis.

Reaction Score
I watched the game and I still don't know how Baylor lost the game. OSU didn't hit a 3 point shot in 2nd half and OSU's guards seemed almost afraid to take a shot. They passed up open looks ot pass the ball into middle resulting in TO's. This was a game the Baylor players have to wonder how they lost. This was a home game for Baylor. Alexis Prince was a non factor and for the most part so was Nina Davis.
6-14 FT.

Plebe

Reaction Score

I didn't see them passing up open shots. The Baylor defenders stayed in their face and did a great job of running them off the 3 point line. The OSU guards did their usual thing, probing off high ball screens, but just couldn't get open looks. That's why you finally saw, toward the end, Weisner and Wiese driving into the lane because there was nothing else available.

Plebe

Reaction Score
6-14 FT.

Compared to 15-18 for OSU. Of all the things one can point to in this game, the free throw discrepancy is MASSIVE.

Also, how many Baylor shots just seemed to roll in and out of the basket in the 4th quarter? At least half a dozen, it seemed.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I didn't see them passing up open shots. The Baylor defenders stayed in their face and did a great job of running them off the 3 point line. The OSU guards did their usual thing, probing off high ball screens, but just couldn't get open looks. That's why you finally saw, toward the end, Weisner and Wiese driving into the lane because there was nothing else available.

That's pretty much what I saw. It was Baylor's inability to score themselves that was the difference.

Reaction Score

Missed free throws, bad shooting, and some very questionable usage of timeouts by Mulkey.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Big props to ochoops for stringing together a number of sentences in a row that were clean and made good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom