Battle for 9 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Battle for 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I appreciate the respect UConn fans have for Notre Dame, but I don't think that Tennessee fans share that perspective.

As we're seeing in this thread, some Tennessee fans don't have much respect for what UConn accomplished last year and the players returning.

arch

Reaction Score
If things were the way they were in the beginning between UConn and Tenn I would say yes what a classic. But they're not and it will never be same, thanks to what Pat and Tenn tried to do to UConn and what UConn had to go through to prove their innocence. What Tenn did to UConn and tried to accomplish was horrific. Many of us that lived through it couldn't believe it. I don't ever want to play Tenn again. I don't know why fans keep trying to bring back the past. Most of the past between Tenn and UConn was memorable but not good. When UConn beat Tenn for the first time in 1995 Tenn fans flooded the boards with anger, and it got worse as time went on. UConns 1995 Undeafeated NC was scarred by Tenn fans who just wouldn't give up. The icing on the cake was when DT came and the way she manhandled Tenn in every game. But the last straw came when Pat and Geno were after Maya Caroline and EDD and many Tenn fans thought they had the upper hand only to have all 3 come to UConn. That's when the anger turned in to destruction. Tenn their fans and almost many associated with Tenn were out to destroy UConn Geno CD and everything they built . That was the beginning of the end for Tenn. No I don't ever want to play Tenn again. It will never be the same. Never Ever. What Tenn made UConn go through and when I say UConn Im talking the school, players, recruits, parents, coaches, administration, and some of our fans, was humiliating, embarrassing and gut renching. There is no room for a Tenn UConn rematch no matter what for me and there will never be. Tenn cant not loose enough games for me. What they did was despicable.

If by some miracle Tenn made it to the Finals against UConn it would be humiliating and embarrassing for Tenn. The hatred that some of the Tenn fans carry would be worst then a boiling pail of oil. If you think not go pay to join the Summitt Tenns board and read what they write about Geno and UConn. Theres a reason for their pay board and their Tenn only chat rooms. IMO its a chance to hide what they've got to say, hid from the public. Im finished, now.

Tony, 1995, boards? Really?

Reaction Score
I would love to see TENN in the final against UCONN. Duke vs. N.C., Yankees vs. Red Sox, Ohio
State vs. Michigan, Ali vs. Frazier, Celtics vs. Lakers and on and on. Nothing would draw greater interest than these two teams playing in the final. If you are still angry at TENN for their perceived ill actions then root for UCONN to beat the daylights out of them. And as hard as it is for some UCONN fans to admit, TENN is good and will be coming, and they will be loaded if their recruits pan out to be as good as projected.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
UConn cat makes a good point (as usual). Having the FF in your own state will add pressure. Some teams respond well to pressure, others do not. It isn't at all obvious that this team should respond well to pressure. A relatively new head coach, and some anecdotal evidence suggest no, although I'll guarantee the orange tinted glasses will see it differently.

Some history.

1. In 1982, the FF was in Virginia. ODU was a 1 seed, but fell in the second round to KSU.
  2. In 1983, the FF was in Virginia again. ODU was a 2 seed, but did make it to the FF. However, they were beaten in the semis by La Tech
  3. 1n 1984, the FF was in California. USC was a 1 seed, made it to the FF and won the NC
  4. In 1985, the FF was in Texas. U Texas was a 1 seed, (and ranked #1 in the country) but upset by Western Kentucky in the regionals
  5. In 1986, the FF was in Kentucky. U Kentucky was a 7 seed, but lost in first round. In contrast, Western Kentucky, a 4 seed made it to the FF, but lost in the semis
  6. In 1987, the FF was in Texas. U Texas was a 1 seed, made it to the FF, but lost in semis
  7. In 1988, the FF was in Washington. U Washington was a 3 seed, but lost in regionals.
  8. In 1989, the FF was in Washington again. U Washington was a 5 seed, but lost in regionals.
  9. In 1990, the FF was in Tennessee. U Tennessee was a 1 seed, but lost in regionals
  10. In 1991, the FF was in Louisiana. LSU was a 2 seed, but upset in second round. Louisiana Tech was a 10 seed who lost in first round.
Obviously this list is not complete, but I'm out of steam.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
As for Tennessee one thing I want to see. Is how the new strength and condition coach has them ready. This training is more basketball specific than just overall fitness done by Mason. So that will be something I am looking forward to seeing this year.

Reaction Score
Sidebar: This website showcasing the Lady Vol program and this year's team is really well done and worth a look. www.grindfor9.com

Excuse me, but why do you feel it necessary to promote a LV web site on in a UConn forum? Oh that's right, because The Summitt is a paid for site which no one outside of LV Nation reads. I feel strongly on this issue and had reported my opinion as such. I encourage others to do the same.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has 3 players with USA Basketball experience (Loyd, Reimer, and Allen) and one with Canadian basketball experience (Achonwa). Notre Dame had no one on this year's USA teams because of the European trip they took this summer.

Despite the fact that Notre Dame played at TBA last season, they are playing there again this season, so that game is a home game for Tennessee. The 2 seasons following this season will in South Bend. I appreciate the respect UConn fans have for Notre Dame, but I don't think that Tennessee fans share that perspective. I guess we'll see how Notre Dame fares post Diggins, but I certainly hope her impact on the program lingers long after her graduation.

ND's biggest challenge this year will be replacing Diggins which I think will be surprisingly easier than many think.

Reaction Score
I think the Battle for the National Title comes down to 5 teams. UConn, Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, and Stanford.

After taking the LV's behind the woodshed three consecutive years, and given how they are recruiting, I think Notre Dame has also surpassed the LV's on the national seen and deserve to be included in the NC discussion, at least if you are going to be including the LV's.

You and many other LV fans pretend like nothing has changed, while ignoring the fact that the coach who WAS your program retired and the fact your team has failed to make the Final Four for FIVE consecutive. Instead of focusing on "Grinding for Nine", I would be more concerned with getting your program out of the free fall mode. Getting excited about a verbal from the 89th ranked player is a sign of how desperate your coach and program is getting.

Reaction Score
Lots of good analysis...my money says Notre Dame doesnt skip a beat. McBride and Lloyd compensate for loss of SD. And Reimer, Nelson and Thompson give them size depth they didnt have. Duke seems to be the likely challenger for the Title, but that's only if they play someone with less size and Alexis Jones stays out of foul trouble. Now, if Maryland can stay healthy at the guard position, dont be surprised if they take the ACC this year and a #1seed. Tennessee...hmmm, Russell makes them a serious contender because Graves will by her side, but if they cant keep Simmons focused then they may only get as far as the elite 8. Barring injury, UConn will take #9 in Nashville, period! Talent, experience, confidence, balance, chemistry and a solid bench says it all. BTW...didnt they win their tournament games by an average of 35 pts? Im just saying...

Reaction Score
I didnt say anything about Stanford but thats because they remind me of Baylor with Griner...except Griner is the 6'3 Chiney. They got a lot of bigs that can shoot spot up jumpers but not much else, especially on defense. And, honestly, they have no one like Sims. We beat them 61-35 last year because their guards cant create and they have only one big that can create her own in the post. I wouldnt expect much difference this year...maybe a closer game?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You cannot overlook Notre Dame. Even with Skylar Diggins gone they have a lot of talent, including McBride, Ochonwa and Lloyd. Don't go to sleep on Notre Dame.
Absolutely agree on having talent, but I think a lot of people on here under-appreciate what Diggins brought to the table in a not dissimilar way to outsiders discounting some of what DT brought to Uconn. SD was much more than her stats for ND and she made the players around her better. Uconn struggled much more than most people thought, and players like Annie were exposed as less than what we thought once DT left. I may be off base on this, but I think ND's talent may not shine quite so brightly next year. They still have a very good coach and a good team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Excuse me, but why do you feel it necessary to promote a LV web site on in a UConn forum? Oh that's right, because The Summitt is a paid for site which no one outside of LV Nation reads. I feel strongly on this issue and had reported my opinion as such. I encourage others to do the same.

Fans of other programs are welcome to post such items and promote their teams here as long as they don't denigrate UConn in the process. You know, stuff like, "Yeah, your player is good but ours does this that and the other thing that your player can't do". VolFan didn't do anything like that.

I don't care to see the Boneyard become one of Those Boards that try to run off reasonable fans of other programs that just want to have a normal conversation. We'll leave that kind of shabby behavior to Those Boards and continue to welcome civil fans of other programs.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
... If you are still angry at TENN for their perceived ill actions then root for UCONN to beat the daylights out of them....

Very intersting thread. (And TonyC is right on. Bravo.)
But this one little word, "perceived," gets me to post. It may well be that RenoT simply was trying to be "neutral" or polite by choosing the word "perceived." That happens often and it's easy enough to just pass over in the context of a forum like this.

But it is a big deal in the ccontext of the mass media, where it is in fact a horrible problem. When they don't call a spade a GD spade, they aren't being "neutral," they're damaging society because they are misleading people into potentially diastrous viewpoints/decisions.

The deceitful Tennessee attacks on UConn are/were not merely "perceived," they are/were reality. Fact.

Muddying the water is a far-too-commom tactic used by the powerful to deceive common folks who don't have the time/inclination to find out the truth for themselves. And the mass media are bald-faced co-conspirators. On a minor scale, the fact that people can still with a straight face say Tennessee's dirty tricks vs. UConn are "perceived" can be largely attributed to the fact that the (national) media, supposedly devoted to spreading the truth, was and continues to be too wimpy to do so in this matter. That's not a dangerous thing when you're talking WCBB -- but it's also their approach to much more significant segments of reality. When we know something is true, let's stop hedging our bets about it.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I think the link is fine.

This is a Boneyard site, which means the focus is on UConn. However, many participants are interested in what is happening at other schools, and we have many fans of other schools who post here appropriately.

If someone turns into a pest, that person is likely to find their posting privileges restricted or removed, but short of that, I don't see the harm in allowing such a link.

Some fans of some teams are unable to express themselves respectfully, and those fans are best bottled up in a pay site no one reads. But if one of them wants to act like an adult, I think we should encourage such behavior.

(Edited to note that I posted before realizing that Nan was already on the case)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the link is fine.

(Edited to note that I posted before realizing that Nan was already on the case)
And how fortunate you were both on the same page! :cool:
And I agree with the sentiments - I like the visitors input and enjoy seeing other marketing efforts in WCBB.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
BTW I also just have to comment on the thread title - Battle for 9... I do get that both UCONN and Tennessee are currently at 8 NC's. But Tennessee has about as much chance of winning it all as Louisville did last year, coming up 30+ points short of UCONN in the NC game. And I mean this as no gratuitous swipe at Tennessee, but they simply aren't close to the same level as UCONN this year.

This is not to say miracles can't happen. Look at the US Olympic hockey team in 1980. More recently, look at Baylor's loss to L'ville last year. L'ville's road to the NC game really was miraculous. But that's what would be needed for Tenn this year...

Next year I'd give them a fighters chance. All they lose is Simmons, and while I don't really feel the 2 kids they landed in 2014 bring much more to the table than being solid reserves, they will have a core of Massengale, Burdick, Carter, Graves and Russell. Harrison has been better than I thought she'd be, and their role players of Phillips, Jones, Moore, Reynolds and the 2 freshmen will be solid.

I also wanted to respond to the LV poster who said Lockwood was the best post coach in the game. He's been an asst coach at Tennessee for 9 years and involved with the program for 14. That means he's been involved with coaching Gwen Jackson, Shyra Ely, Ash Robinson, Tyesha Fluker, Nicci Moats, Dominique Redding, Alex Fuller, Sybil Dosty, Nikki Anosike, Kelly Cain, Vicki Baugh, Alyssa Brewer, Faith Dupree, and Isabelle Harrison.

Aside from Harrison, I don't see a single player on that list who really improved dramatically while at Tennessee, and many of those post players transferred out, while others were injured. Obviously I'm leaving Parker out because I think a turnip could have coached her in college and she'd still have developed into a great player.

But if that's what Lockwood has to hang his hat on, I'd say it's not even north of average.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Hmmm interesting. Has someone done a summary of active/past WNBA players from TN and CT by position?

I don't want to incur the wrath of the Kib, so I don't mean 1,2,3,4,5, I mean G,W,P

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me the UConn/Tenn rivalry has come and gone. We don't play each other and Tennessee hasn't stuck around long enough to meet Connecticut in the NCAAs. If they have a good run this year, I wouldn't mind being the team that ends it but it would not be any different than any other opponent. Right now I'd put ND as our principal rival. We'll have to see how they do in the post Diggins years. They certainly have the talent to make another deep run.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm Tenn at the Final 4 in Nashville.... I never had given this much thought.... may happen... if so, they would have to play up to their capability and beyond, something they absolutely have not done the past 5 years.... I appreciate the zealousness on their part.... there is nothing quite so nice as blind loyalty..... but what justification is there to put UT even into the final 4? Mercedes is going to have to play out of her mind in order for them to make it..... I look at last year's team..... there was no heart..... UT folks can disagree all they want.... I saw no heart in their game with LVille..... Great teams..... and good teams do not lose to a #5 seed.... and I do not want to hear that it was LVille's year, etc..... that game was there for the taking, and UT didn't step up...... I hope they do well this year, because I would love to play them come April

Reaction Score
Very intersting thread. (And TonyC is right on. Bravo.)
But this one little word, "perceived," gets me to post. It may well be that RenoT simply was trying to be "neutral" or polite by choosing the word "perceived." That happens often and it's easy enough to just pass over in the context of a forum like this.

But it is a big deal in the ccontext of the mass media, where it is in fact a horrible problem. When they don't call a spade a GD spade, they aren't being "neutral," they're damaging society because they are misleading people into potentially diastrous viewpoints/decisions.

The deceitful Tennessee attacks on UConn are/were not merely "perceived," they are/were reality. Fact.

Muddying the water is a far-too-commom tactic used by the powerful to deceive common folks who don't have the time/inclination to find out the truth for themselves. And the mass media are bald-faced co-conspirators. On a minor scale, the fact that people can still with a straight face say Tennessee's dirty tricks vs. UConn are "perceived" can be largely attributed to the fact that the (national) media, supposedly devoted to spreading the truth, was and continues to be too wimpy to do so in this matter. That's not a dangerous thing when you're talking WCBB -- but it's also their approach to much more significant segments of reality. When we know something is true, let's stop hedging our bets about it.

Well, I don't believe I was the victim of a conspiracy. I try to look a little deeper into why people do what they do. I shall explain. For a period of my life I showed Border Collies in sheep dog trials. A few days after a trial, an animal control agent came to the ranch acting on a complaint I was abusing my dogs. At first I was shocked, then angry, then became amused as the agent examined my kennels and dogs and found them in perfect condition. As I thought about it, I realized that someone had turned me in, hopefully with the interest in protecting my dogs. I tried to believe they were acting in good faith and not because it was me.

I think that people who are part of organizations like the NCAA, WBB, colleges around the U.S. need to follow the rules and assist in making sure others do as well. I hold no ill will toward anyone who contacts the authorities in an effort to keep their organization clean. There will obviously be some that will see their actions as an attempt to attack some other member because of personal reasons. My word "perceived" was chosen because if TENN in fact thought UCONN was doing wrong they had an obligation to report it and let those in charge determine the truth. And those actions should not be considered an attempt to undermine the UCONN, WBB or Geno and his staff. Some personal comments from both sides were exchanged and I believe the situation escalated and got a little crazy. I prefer to let it pass and hope that those in charge can do the same. Let's act like adults and get the series started again.

Reaction Score
Well, I don't believe I was the victim of a conspiracy. I try to look a little deeper into why people do what they do. I shall explain. For a period of my life I showed Border Collies in sheep dog trials. A few days after a trial, an animal control agent came to the ranch acting on a complaint I was abusing my dogs. At first I was shocked, then angry, then became amused as the agent examined my kennels and dogs and found them in perfect condition. As I thought about it, I realized that someone had turned me in, hopefully with the interest in protecting my dogs. I tried to believe they were acting in good faith and not because it was me.

I think that people who are part of organizations like the NCAA, WBB, colleges around the U.S. need to follow the rules and assist in making sure others do as well. I hold no ill will toward anyone who contacts the authorities in an effort to keep their organization clean. There will obviously be some that will see their actions as an attempt to attack some other member because of personal reasons. My word "perceived" was chosen because if TENN in fact thought UCONN was doing wrong they had an obligation to report it and let those in charge determine the truth. And those actions should not be considered an attempt to undermine the UCONN, WBB or Geno and his staff. Some personal comments from both sides were exchanged and I believe the situation escalated and got a little crazy. I prefer to let it pass and hope that those in charge can do the same. Let's act like adults and get the series started again.

Well, good for you.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Here's the difference. Someone might have honestly thought you were doing something wrong, and contacted someone to look into it. But it wasn't covered on the news or in the newspapers I bet if you hadn't mentioned it, almost no one would know.

When you think someone has done something wrong, you have a personal responsibility to make sure you have a decent case if you know that making the allegation is going to go public. TN didn't do that. They had nothing, but rather than quietly check to see if there was any substance, they worked themselves up and reported it in a way that the sports media picked up on it. Everyone reported breathlessly that TN was accusing CT of "bad things". The reports that there was no "there" there didn't get quite the same coverage. Not to mention that there has never been an apology for the ginned up accusations. So with all respect, I do not see the two situations as comparable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Wow. :eek:

Well I hope you don't bump into anything with those blinders on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom