Battle for 9 | The Boneyard

Battle for 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the Battle for the National Title comes down to 5 teams. UConn, Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, and Stanford. Obviously injury, upset, and any other amount of invariable factors will play a role as well that could completely change that, but that is my thinking. I think the Championship will come down to talent v. experience. How picture perfect would it be for Tennessee and UConn to play each other for #9, as it should be. It will make it that much sweeter for either one. Even more so in the State of Tennessee and with the implications it will hold in the program/coach title race. What other teams do you see (if any) that should also be in his discussion? And what player/player matchups among these teams will be crucial?
Sidebar: This website showcasing the Lady Vol program and this year's team is really well done and worth a look. www.grindfor9.com

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think the Battle for the National Title comes down to 5 teams. UConn, Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, and Stanford. Obviously injury, upset, and any other amount of invariable factors will play a role as well that could completely change that, but that is my thinking. I think the Championship will come down to talent v. experience. How picture perfect would it be for Tennessee and UConn to play each other for #9, as it should be. It will make it that much sweeter for either one. Even more so in the State of Tennessee and with the implications it will hold in the program/coach title race. What other teams do you see (if any) that should also be in his discussion? And what player/player matchups among these teams will be crucial?
Sidebar: This website showcasing the Lady Vol program and this year's team is really well done and worth a look. www.grindfor9.com

Not sure what you mean by experience v talent. That suggests there isn't any team that possesses both which we know is not accurate. UConn is the team with the most talent (most current and future All-Americans) and the most experience at winning a national championship. The championship is UConn's to lose.

Tennessee would do well to make it to a Final Four for the first time in 6 years.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
How picture perfect would it be for Tennessee and UConn to play each other for #9, as it should be.

"As it should be." What is the basis for such a statement, unless it signifies the hope by a Tennessee fan that their team will finally make it to another Final Four, and within driving distance of Knoxville.

What should be (NC game) is the two best teams playing each other.

And I like our chances.

Reaction Score
I just meant that some teams have less talent but are very experienced and have great leadership and others are younger but have more raw talent, so it will be interesting to see which carries the day.

And the reason I put 'as it should be' is because we both have 8 titles so it would be cool to see the two play each other for #9.

And your chances are as good as anybody's.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I just meant that some teams have less talent but are very experienced and have great leadership and others are younger but have more raw talent, so it will be interesting to see which carries the day.

And the reason I put 'as it should be' is because we both have 8 titles so it would be cool to see the two play each other for #9.

You identified 5 teams that will battle for the championship. Which of the 5 do you think has the most raw talent and which do you think has the most experience and leadership?

UConn lost 2 players off of last year's team that won its sweet 16 game over Maryland by 26 points, its Elite game against Kentucky by 30 points, its semi-final game against ND by 18 points and the national championship game against Louisville by 33 points. Nothing is guaranteed as Baylor learned last year but I'd still put UConn's chances a little better than "as good as anybody's" particularly when the anybodies you pick didn't even make the Final Four last year. Strange.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm with UconnCat, Tennessee will do well to make it to final four!

I know the season hasn't even started, but I see them as a top 10 team with a chance at a FF, but maybe not this year!

Reaction Score
What about North Carolina? It looks like Sylvia has done a great job of loading her team with top players (even though she has no recent history to prove she can do anything with them.... I wonder what she promised them to get them there....) but I digress... I would think NC should be on that list.

Reaction Score
I would replace Tenn and Stanford with Louisville and Notre Dame. One of those two will be in next years championship game against UConn- unless they face UConn prior to the final game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would replace Tenn and Stanford with Louisville and Notre Dame. One of those two will be in next years championship game against UConn- unless they face UConn prior to the final game.
That's as good a guess as any. Honestly, UCONN and Duke far and away have the most talent. Maryland is getting a plethora of players back but their incoming class isn't top 5. Louisville basically loses no one from a team who made it to the NC game, but really has no one of note in their incoming freshman class. ND loses Diggins, but honestly, I think they still have the #3 team in the nation next year (and their incoming class is top notch). Stanford - never know what to make of them, and losing Kokenis is a big blow. Kentucky is plucky, and to me Harper is the most impressive of all the incoming freshmen at this point. . Tennessee lost their 2 best players from the NCAA's, but they get Carter back and land Russell.

Now Tennessee could end up a 1 seed with a total gift of an easy 2 seed which would give them a cakewalk to the final 4. But I don't like their chances should they meet UCONN, Duke, ND, or Maryland. And honestly I wouldn't bet on Tennessee if they faced L'ville either. Frankly, if Duke and UCONN are on separate sides of the bracket, then if Tennessee is lucky enough to make the final 4, they won't make it to the NC game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guarantee Tenn wont be in the championship game. I'll drive to Knoxville and buy a Lady Vols Tshirt if they do.

What about North Carolina? It looks like Sylvia has done a great job of loading her team with top players (even though she has no recent history to prove she can do anything with them.... I wonder what she promised them to get them there....) but I digress... I would think NC should be on that list.

I dont see the #4 team in the ACC making it to the final 4. I could definitely seeing the top 3 ACC teams in the final 4 along with UCONN.

If UNC makes the final 4.... I'll walk drive to Chapel Hell and purchase a Carolina Hat, shirt, and a sweatshirt

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If things were the way they were in the beginning between UConn and Tenn I would say yes what a classic. But they're not and it will never be same, thanks to what Pat and Tenn tried to do to UConn and what UConn had to go through to prove their innocence. What Tenn did to UConn and tried to accomplish was horrific. Many of us that lived through it couldn't believe it. I don't ever want to play Tenn again. I don't know why fans keep trying to bring back the past. Most of the past between Tenn and UConn was memorable but not good. When UConn beat Tenn for the first time in 1995 Tenn fans flooded the boards with anger, and it got worse as time went on. UConns 1995 Undeafeated NC was scarred by Tenn fans who just wouldn't give up. The icing on the cake was when DT came and the way she manhandled Tenn in every game. But the last straw came when Pat and Geno were after Maya Caroline and EDD and many Tenn fans thought they had the upper hand only to have all 3 come to UConn. That's when the anger turned in to destruction. Tenn their fans and almost many associated with Tenn were out to destroy UConn Geno CD and everything they built . That was the beginning of the end for Tenn. No I don't ever want to play Tenn again. It will never be the same. Never Ever. What Tenn made UConn go through and when I say UConn Im talking the school, players, recruits, parents, coaches, administration, and some of our fans, was humiliating, embarrassing and gut renching. There is no room for a Tenn UConn rematch no matter what for me and there will never be. Tenn cant not loose enough games for me. What they did was despicable.

If by some miracle Tenn made it to the Finals against UConn it would be humiliating and embarrassing for Tenn. The hatred that some of the Tenn fans carry would be worst then a boiling pail of oil. If you think not go pay to join the Summitt Tenns board and read what they write about Geno and UConn. Theres a reason for their pay board and their Tenn only chat rooms. IMO its a chance to hide what they've got to say, hid from the public. Im finished, now.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is no room for a Tenn UConn rematch no matter what for me and there will never be. Tenn cant not loose enough games for me. What they did was despicable.

There are many UConn and Tennessee fans that believe that or a variation thereof
But the rest of the country would love to see that game
and a game between us and ND as well.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I have to believe,there is no way you can leave Notre Dame out of the picture for final four possibility.Way to much talent,with a guard who is potential all american the rest of her college career,and a coach who knows how to win and get her team prepared for the limelight.As much as I scream with joy,so to speak,when we beat the Irish,I have to give them and their coach the respect of never overlooking them year after year.
As a side note,I agree with Tony C. completely.Wanting to renew the series with Tennessee,with their fan base,is kind of like hoping you could play with the rattlesnake that once bit you, thinking it wouldn't bite anymore.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

That was my immediate thought. It seems too many people are forgetting the loaded Irish and a deeper, more experienced Louisville.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I moved this from the other thread where I accidentally posted it early this mornings.

Responses in Vol Land at the moment sound more like whistling in the graveyard. TN has had talent for the last half decade but have not been getting production from them. When they prove they can return to the FF then their arguments will have more the ring of truth.

The 5 seed, Louisville, that took them out last year returns healthier and deeper this year along with MD, Duke, UCONN, ND, among others. So I 'm not sure there is room at the FF yet whatever the talent on this TN if they don't produce for the coaching staff.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If things were the way they were in the beginning between UConn and Tenn I would say yes what a classic. But they're not and it will never be same, thanks to what Pat and Tenn tried to do to UConn and what UConn had to go through to prove their innocence. What Tenn did to UConn and tried to accomplish was horrific. Many of us that lived through it couldn't believe it. I don't ever want to play Tenn again. I don't know why fans keep trying to bring back the past. Most of the past between Tenn and UConn was memorable but not good. When UConn beat Tenn for the first time in 1995 Tenn fans flooded the boards with anger, and it got worse as time went on. UConns 1995 Undeafeated NC was scarred by Tenn fans who just wouldn't give up. The icing on the cake was when DT came and the way she manhandled Tenn in every game. But the last straw came when Pat and Geno were after Maya Caroline and EDD and many Tenn fans thought they had the upper hand only to have all 3 come to UConn. That's when the anger turned in to destruction. Tenn their fans and almost many associated with Tenn were out to destroy UConn Geno CD and everything they built . That was the beginning of the end for Tenn. No I don't ever want to play Tenn again. It will never be the same. Never Ever. What Tenn made UConn go through and when I say UConn Im talking the school, players, recruits, parents, coaches, administration, and some of our fans, was humiliating, embarrassing and gut renching. There is no room for a Tenn UConn rematch no matter what for me and there will never be. Tenn cant not loose enough games for me. What they did was despicable.

If by some miracle Tenn made it to the Finals against UConn it would be humiliating and embarrassing for Tenn. The hatred that some of the Tenn fans carry would be worst then a boiling pail of oil. If you think not go pay to join the Summitt Tenns board and read what they write about Geno and UConn. Theres a reason for their pay board and their Tenn only chat rooms. IMO its a chance to hide what they've got to say, hid from the public. Im finished, now.

OK, Tony. Now tell us how you really feel about Tennessee.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

If Tennessee were to beat both Stanford and Notre Dame on the road this year it would make a believer of me. Until they can beat a good team on the road they are at best an elite eight team. Like others have said, both Notre Dame and Stanford should join UCONN and Duke in the final four. There is also an outside chance that Maryland may be there.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I guarantee Tenn wont be in the championship game. I'll drive to Knoxville and buy a Lady Vols Tshirt if they do.

I dont see the #4 team in the ACC making it to the final 4. I could definitely seeing the top 3 ACC teams in the final 4 along with UCONN.

If UNC makes the final 4.... I'll walk drive to Chapel Hell and purchase a Carolina Hat, shirt, and a sweatshirt

I'm always suspicious about the motives of you clever Dookies. For all we know you would buy that UNC crap and donate it to some rodeo clown.

We'll know you mean it when you promise to actually wear that stuff back at your Cameron shrine -- and not inside out, either.:p

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

With all due respect, you seem to be severely underestimating UConn. Anything can happen in a single-elimination tournament, but failing that, UConn's chances are much better than anybody's. The Huskies return a team that won it all last year. In fact, the only times UConn was seriously challenged last season were during regular season losses to a team that loses its best players. Although Kelly Faris is a kid you hate to lose, everyone who's been a WBCA AA returns, the F4 MOP returns, and a lot of the kids who return figure to get even better. This team is loaded, experienced, and confident. Losing would be an upset.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think TN belongs in the discussion. The addition of Russell is at the top of the list, but it doesn't stop there. The hype around Russell over-shadowed the addition of Reynolds. If she can contribute as she did at the McDonalds game, she'll be a nice sub whenever Simmons is out of sorts, or needs some rest.

They had two players getting USA experience. We are spoiled, with five, but we aren't discussing whether TN at the same level as UConn, we are discussing whether they have a legitimate shot at a FF berth. Two players with USA experience is as many as any not named UConn. I don't know how much Massengale grew with that experience, I frankly didn't see that much from her, but Bashaara Graves had a very nice U19 tournament, and should be a much improved player as a result.

Then there's the return of Carter, who was showing promise before her season ending injury.

Final, I bet it is pounded into them every day that the FF will be in Tennessee (they won't say Nashville, they'll say Tennessee). That goal will carry some weight, despite the history, which shows that many teams have under-performed when they had a shot at a home FF. I think that is more happenstance, and I expect the goal of playing in TN will help the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree Tenn should be part of the discussion although I'm not sure having the FF in Tennessee will help. I think it will add pressure to a team that hasn't shown the ability to handle it all that well. Simmons admitted to playing nervous in last year's NCAA tournament (it showed) and Massengale hasn't shown the ability to play big when the stakes are the highest. We haven't seen how Russell or Carter or Reynolds will perform on the biggest stage. Tenn's best players in last year's E8 loss to Louisville graduated. I'd include them in the discussion but a lot will depend on the match-ups in their region.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think both UConn and Tennessee are Final Four type teams. I think Louisville, Duke, Stanford, and Notre Dame are also in the discussion. The question I have about ND is Can some one replace Diggins? What she did from the team in her time there.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
They had two players getting USA experience. We are spoiled, with five, but we aren't discussing whether TN at the same level as UConn, we are discussing whether they have a legitimate shot at a FF berth. Two players with USA experience is as many as any not named UConn.

Notre Dame has 3 players with USA Basketball experience (Loyd, Reimer, and Allen) and one with Canadian basketball experience (Achonwa). Notre Dame had no one on this year's USA teams because of the European trip they took this summer.

If Tennessee were to beat both Stanford and Notre Dame on the road this year it would make a believer of me. Until they can beat a good team on the road they are at best an elite eight team. Like others have said, both Notre Dame and Stanford should join UCONN and Duke in the final four. There is also an outside chance that Maryland may be there.

Despite the fact that Notre Dame played at TBA last season, they are playing there again this season, so that game is a home game for Tennessee. The 2 seasons following this season will in South Bend. I appreciate the respect UConn fans have for Notre Dame, but I don't think that Tennessee fans share that perspective. I guess we'll see how Notre Dame fares post Diggins, but I certainly hope her impact on the program lingers long after her graduation.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think in all this discussion people forget that NCAAs usually involve rotations of only six or seven players. Having huge rosters as some of the teams under discussion have usually involves having a lot of good players but seldom the elite 2 or 3 players that will bring it all home. And those large rosters usually result in slower development of the players as each one gets less focus from coaches and less battle testing in games. I also think we all saw what the addition of a single elite freshman to a team can mean to a teams success. (I know we had three great freshman but Stewart was exceptional.)
What I am trying to say with this post is ... adding Russell to a pretty good TN team might be enough (Graves really impressed me this summer.) Subtracting Diggins from ND (especially after the subtractions from a year ago) might be more impactful than many anticipate. Harper to KY might be adding the star power to a bunch of scrappy overachievers that makes a difference. I really like Jeff, but they had tournament run for the ages and may sink back. Duke - go figure - no idea what to expect- great talent, mediocre results to date - are they just adding more deck chairs to the Titanic? Stanford - I think they had their run of FFs, but maybe like LSU before them, 2012 was the high water mark (see ND re that as well.) UNC - great infusion of talent, don't trust the coaching and they are very young and they have a very large team - chemistry and leadership may be a real problem.
I do think Uconn this year is the only really good bet for FF and #1 seed. I am not even sure who is favored to win any of the other conference regular season and tournament crowns let alone who will get the other three #1 seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom