Base lineup, 4 guard or K face/Phil Nolan at the 4? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Base lineup, 4 guard or K face/Phil Nolan at the 4?

Base Offense, 4 guard? K face? Phil?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love Tsam. He is a badass and big time playmaker. Knows how to get guys the ball in their sweet spot, and would be starting next if not for the purvis transfer.

Reaction Score
It's all incredibly hard to forecast, but fun to speculate on nonetheless. If there's one kid I'm tentatively penciling in for 20+ minutes next season, it's Terrence Samuel. I love his game. He's built like a bull, he sees the floor very well, he can defend multiple positions, and he seems to have no trouble getting wherever he wants on the floor. It's unclear how far along his jump shot is, but never forget for a second that this whole operation is built on defense. Terrence's versatility defensively is what enabled a brief look at some three point guard sets and full-court press last season, and I'm craving to see more of it. Additionally, with the added role Boatright is likely to assume offensively, we're going to need somebody else to fulfill the duties of making life hell for the opposition's best guard. Guys like Purvis, Cassell, and even Calhoun are wild cards, but I feel like I know I'm at least getting something positive from Samuel. His imprint will be all over this team.

Purvis is probably the most talented guard on the roster. There are great athletes, and then there are freak athletes. He is the latter. The N.C. State game from last season is one I studied extensively when I was writing my preseason preview last fall, and he was one of the Wolfpack players that jumped off the screen. He didn't have an enormous impact on the game, but the ease at which he scored in transition was head-turning. I don't know if he and Boatright are the most natural fit in a half-court setting - since they're both slashers by nature - but in the open court those guys are going to give coaches nightmares.

With Giffey, Napier, and Daniels gone, we lost an awful lot of shooting from last years team. It's easy to imagine a scenario in which Samuel, Purvis, Hamilton, and whoever we stick at the four aren't far enough along as shooters, and the spacing suffers as a result. In that sense, Omar Calhoun has a major opportunity to play big minutes this season, because between Boatright and Purvis - two guys who can collapse the defense practically at will - there are going to be a lot of open looks.

The other guys (Cassell, Hamilton, Lubin, even Facey to a lesser degree) are hard for me to comment on since I've barely seen them play. From all accounts, Hamilton is an extremely gifted offensive player, and if that is the case, Ollie is going to have his hands full maximizing his skill set while not compromising the structure of the offense. I imagine D-Ham will play predominantly at the three, and occasionally the four if Nolan and Brimah prove unable to play together. He's going to go from a kid who was regularly featured on his high school team, to somebody that is going to have to learn how to cut and screen away from the ball, spot up on penetration, and crash from the weak side for timely lobs and/or put backs. My guess is he'll be used in a similar capacity to the way Jeremy Lamb was used in 2011.

If there's anything we shouldn't do, it's box these guys into one or two positions based on where conventional wisdom dictates they play. Don't call anybody stupid for thinking Hamilton could play some four or Purvis could play the three, because Ollie might just try it. Nobody expected Samuel, Napier, and Boatright to ever share the floor together last season, and by March it was a regularly used lineup that caused all sorts of problems. If you have a black-and-white view of how basketball is played Kevin Ollie is probably going to change that. When he says "we're position-less", he's not joking. I'm expecting all kind of trial and error early in the season as Ollie juggles various lineups and figures out what works and doesn't. I get the feeling that Ollie's ideal roster is one where everybody on the team can play three different positions.

One additional prediction: Brimah will play the lion's share of the minutes at center. Nolan will play plenty, both in pinch duty at the four, as a backup at the five, and extensively when Brimah is in foul trouble or there is a stretch five he can't handle. That being said, assuming Brimah is healthy and shows no ill-effects from his shoulder surgery, you can pretty much assume he's going to be playing at least 25 minutes a night barring foul trouble. When you've been playing basketball for five years and you're already the best option at center on a team that won the national championship, you're a big-time prospect. He's going to be a star.

^^^^^^
T. Sam...5*****

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you say but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ollie run some lineups with Hamilton at the four spot (assuming he's classified as a guard).

He's definitely a forward. Who could play 2 if he wanted.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I just feel like going to the 4g lineup would necessitate a full court defense which is typically and best employed off of made buckets. I really like how we look coming into this year, but with 3ish new starters, asking for long periods of full court defense following a realigned offensive scheme, given the change in toolset, could be a very large ask. Personally I think our offense will revolve around the 1-3 most of the time, as it did last year, so I don't know if asking them to go fcd is the best possible usage of their energies. To me it really depends on exactly how much time Ollie can give TSam and SCas at the 1, to give boat some air, and how well Omar is able to perform the switches down low at the 4 when the fcd inevitably fails from time to time. Of course all speculation at this point.

I also love TSam too. Unbelievably deceptive in drives to the rim. Not what I would call pure power or speed, but great pacing, hesitation, body control, anticipation and confidence. It looked like every defender he faced on-1 was left surprised he made it to the hoop and usually scored. In some ways his body control and deception kind of remind me a 10lbs lighter, 4in taller KEA, if that's possible.

Actually, in that regard, he's very much like the lead guard on last year's team.

Reaction Score
We need Kenton and Rock to come thru . Facey some scoring and being a threat offensively plus rebounding . No pressure on Rock , just kick some ass.

Reaction Score
Strummer said:
What? Take it back. Take it back right now. Shame on you. That's a part of what made Adrien great. You want the lion? You gotta take the roar too.

I also used to hate Rashad Anderson screaming after a 3.

(Said no sane UCONN fan ever)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I also used to hate Rashad Anderson screaming after a 3.

(Said no sane UCONN fan ever)

Before I read you second sentence, I was like, "Whaaaat?". Loved the RA primal scream. That meant he just hit a massive shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom