Base lineup, 4 guard or K face/Phil Nolan at the 4? | The Boneyard

Base lineup, 4 guard or K face/Phil Nolan at the 4?

Base Offense, 4 guard? K face? Phil?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
With the recent press about the readiness of Sam II Am, it's feeling like a lot of mouth's to feed in the back-court/wings. With the still relative unknowns around K face and the lack of depth at the 5 beyond Amida and Phil (or Phil and Amida) it sure feels like we might be seeing the Ollie Offense in all its glory in 14/15.

Consider:

Boat
Purvis
Dham
Sam II Am
T - Sam
and hopefully a resurgent Omar

That's a lot of horses in the stable. How do you see it developing?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Starting 5:
Boatright
Purvis
Hamilton
Facey
Amida

Phil will be the first big off the bench. Between Omar and T Sam on who will be the first guard off the bench IMO.

Reaction Score
With the recent press about the readiness of Sam II Am, it's feeling like a lot of mouth's to feed in the back-court/wings. With the still relative unknowns around K face and the lack of depth at the 5 beyond Amida and Phil (or Phil and Amida) it sure feels like we might be seeing the Ollie Offense in all its glory in 14/15.

Consider:

Boat
Purvis
Dham
Sam II Am
T - Sam
and hopefully a resurgent Omar

That's a lot of horses in the stable. How do you see it developing?

I think Nolan and Brimah will mostly split time at the 5. I'm not sure we can trust Amida yet to stay out of foul trouble to have them playing the 4 and 5.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ollie run a 4 guard lineup this year depending on the matchups. Also wouldn't be surprised to see him going with a big lineup with Hamilton at the 3. Good thing is we are so versatile this year and can match up with just about any style of play.

U

UCONNfan1

Starting 5:
Boatright
Purvis
Hamilton
Facey
Amida

Phil will be the first big off the bench. Between Omar and T Sam on who will be the first guard off the bench IMO.
Just my $.02 but I see this as the starting lineup to start the year too. As many have pointed out we have a really deep team - 2 at each position. The "reserves" would be Samuel, Cassell Jr, Calhoun, Lubin and Nolan. I have no doubt HCKO will mix and match depending on who we are playing, who's hot, and how effective they are on the court... not to mention if anyone gets into foul trouble.

But having said that, isn't Brimah coming off shoulder surgery? I think they said he'd be out approx. 5 months so should be ready to play again in September or October. That's very close to the start of the season so I'd not be surprised to see Nolan start at the 5 and get a majority of the minutes if Brimah is not 100%...

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Starting 5:
Boatright
Purvis
Hamilton
Facey
Amida

This is cool but the first subs: Omar, Nolan, Sam jr. , T- Sam. The line up will change due to merit and opponent but Omar's comeback could change things totally. He has the skills, experience and strenghth to force more minutes or start over Hamilton.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

http://articles.courant.com/2014-01...40111_1_isaiah-sykes-kevin-ollie-amida-brimah

Secret Weapon

While Brimah had 20 points and eight rebounds and Phil Nolan had eight and five, giving UConn its most productive game from its big men all season, Ollie cautioned that freshman Kentan Facey should not be forgotten.

"Wait till we unleash him," Ollie said. "He has the same kind of passion that Amida has, and I think those two are going to be something special."

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score

http://articles.courant.com/2014-01...40111_1_isaiah-sykes-kevin-ollie-amida-brimah

Secret Weapon

While Brimah had 20 points and eight rebounds and Phil Nolan had eight and five, giving UConn its most productive game from its big men all season, Ollie cautioned that freshman Kentan Facey should not be forgotten.

"Wait till we unleash him," Ollie said. "He has the same kind of passion that Amida has, and I think those two are going to be something special."

Wow. He looks " stretch Four " to me . We'll see. " Unleash the Face"!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I think Nolan and Brimah will mostly split time at the 5. I'm not sure we can trust Amida yet to stay out of foul trouble to have them playing the 4 and 5.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ollie run a 4 guard lineup this year depending on the matchups. Also wouldn't be surprised to see him going with a big lineup with Hamilton at the 3. Good thing is we are so versatile this year and can match up with just about any style of play.
It is doubtful we will see a 4 guard lineup very often unless one of those guards becomes an outstanding rebounder. We could see Brimah and Nolan in the game together but both of them are going to have to learn to cut back on the PFs. I think we will see a lot of Sam Jr. at the 1 and 2. Purvis has yet to prove he can play PG so he is kind of a mystery.
There are so many combinations and "ifs." As usual, it all depends how much players improve their skills and grasp the offense. We could get off to a rocky start but with all this talent and KO at the helm I'm looking forward to an exciting season.

Reaction Score
Phil's summer development will dictate the starting line up. If he comes back beast mode then he'll get the nod. If not then its Brimah's to lose. It appeared as if Ollie didn't have much patience for Phil during the Tourney, particularly when he couldn't finish or hold on to rebounds/loose balls.

So what cha gonna do Phil?

Reaction Score
This is cool but the first subs: Omar, Nolan, Sam jr. , T- Sam. The line up will change due to merit and opponent but Omar's comeback could change things totally. He has the skills, experience and strenghth to force more minutes or start over Hamilton.
Thank god somebody said it. If omar gets his confidence back, he could get 20+ minutes a game at the 3. Also, I personally feel hes going to be the key guard/sf to enable playing a 4g lineup, although I really don't see that lineup happening very often regardless.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Don't take that Facey video too seriously. Hitting 3's in practice when someone feeds you is one thing - in a game with a hand in your face is another.

Hope he develops that stroke tho.

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
Don't take that Facey video too seriously. Hitting 3's in practice when someone feeds you is one thing - in a game with a hand in your face is another. Hope he develops that stroke tho.

He's already shown it.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I am the only one who's reminded of Shapey from Moral Orel whenever Facey is mentioned? Probably.

Reaction Score
Wow... I am pumped for next year... That line up and bench gives me 100% more confidence than last years NCAA champs... If that can make sense.. Part of being a husky fan I guess. .... Just reloading with quality players and character ....

All I'm saying is that I love me some T SAM.. Can't see that dude spending too much time on the bench. If purvis can rebound like I think he can given his body and tsam can be active and rebound like baz did then can't imagine a scarier 3 guard lineup..

Husky nation won't quit!!!!

Reaction Score
Thank god somebody said it. If omar gets his confidence back, he could get 20+ minutes a game at the 3. Also, I personally feel hes going to be the key guard/sf to enable playing a 4g lineup, although I really don't see that lineup happening very often regardless.

Don't know about 20 min a game, but that's a really good point about Omar's importance to any kind of consistent 4g lineup. Hadn't thought about it, but I think you're right.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think we go with a g-g-g-w-c early and often then to a line up with ab and phil late when were routing these sons of in the aac.

Reaction Score
I have total faith in Facey's ability to contribute enough offensively and on the boards to play major minutes this season. Where I don't have as much faith is in his ability to stay on the floor. His foul rate was almost comical last year but if he can learn to play defense and not foul, he could be a huge piece this year.

Reaction Score
It's all incredibly hard to forecast, but fun to speculate on nonetheless. If there's one kid I'm tentatively penciling in for 20+ minutes next season, it's Terrence Samuel. I love his game. He's built like a bull, he sees the floor very well, he can defend multiple positions, and he seems to have no trouble getting wherever he wants on the floor. It's unclear how far along his jump shot is, but never forget for a second that this whole operation is built on defense. Terrence's versatility defensively is what enabled a brief look at some three point guard sets and full-court press last season, and I'm craving to see more of it. Additionally, with the added role Boatright is likely to assume offensively, we're going to need somebody else to fulfill the duties of making life hell for the opposition's best guard. Guys like Purvis, Cassell, and even Calhoun are wild cards, but I feel like I know I'm at least getting something positive from Samuel. His imprint will be all over this team.

Purvis is probably the most talented guard on the roster. There are great athletes, and then there are freak athletes. He is the latter. The N.C. State game from last season is one I studied extensively when I was writing my preseason preview last fall, and he was one of the Wolfpack players that jumped off the screen. He didn't have an enormous impact on the game, but the ease at which he scored in transition was head-turning. I don't know if he and Boatright are the most natural fit in a half-court setting - since they're both slashers by nature - but in the open court those guys are going to give coaches nightmares.

With Giffey, Napier, and Daniels gone, we lost an awful lot of shooting from last years team. It's easy to imagine a scenario in which Samuel, Purvis, Hamilton, and whoever we stick at the four aren't far enough along as shooters, and the spacing suffers as a result. In that sense, Omar Calhoun has a major opportunity to play big minutes this season, because between Boatright and Purvis - two guys who can collapse the defense practically at will - there are going to be a lot of open looks.

The other guys (Cassell, Hamilton, Lubin, even Facey to a lesser degree) are hard for me to comment on since I've barely seen them play. From all accounts, Hamilton is an extremely gifted offensive player, and if that is the case, Ollie is going to have his hands full maximizing his skill set while not compromising the structure of the offense. I imagine D-Ham will play predominantly at the three, and occasionally the four if Nolan and Brimah prove unable to play together. He's going to go from a kid who was regularly featured on his high school team, to somebody that is going to have to learn how to cut and screen away from the ball, spot up on penetration, and crash from the weak side for timely lobs and/or put backs. My guess is he'll be used in a similar capacity to the way Jeremy Lamb was used in 2011.

If there's anything we shouldn't do, it's box these guys into one or two positions based on where conventional wisdom dictates they play. Don't call anybody stupid for thinking Hamilton could play some four or Purvis could play the three, because Ollie might just try it. Nobody expected Samuel, Napier, and Boatright to ever share the floor together last season, and by March it was a regularly used lineup that caused all sorts of problems. If you have a black-and-white view of how basketball is played Kevin Ollie is probably going to change that. When he says "we're position-less", he's not joking. I'm expecting all kind of trial and error early in the season as Ollie juggles various lineups and figures out what works and doesn't. I get the feeling that Ollie's ideal roster is one where everybody on the team can play three different positions.

One additional prediction: Brimah will play the lion's share of the minutes at center. Nolan will play plenty, both in pinch duty at the four, as a backup at the five, and extensively when Brimah is in foul trouble or there is a stretch five he can't handle. That being said, assuming Brimah is healthy and shows no ill-effects from his shoulder surgery, you can pretty much assume he's going to be playing at least 25 minutes a night barring foul trouble. When you've been playing basketball for five years and you're already the best option at center on a team that won the national championship, you're a big-time prospect. He's going to be a star.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm very worried about Terrence Samuels' minutes. He's a gritty, gutty point guard and just what we need when playing against a zone or start hanging our heads. With Cassell, Purvis, Boatright, and Calhoun to content with, I'm not sure where he'll land. He was very likely the most underrated player on last year's team. (Not in terms of statistical achievements, but the intangibles he brings to the table.)

Reaction Score
I'm very worried about Terrence Samuels' minutes. He's a gritty, gutty point guard and just what we need when playing against a zone or start hanging our heads. With Cassell, Purvis, Boatright, and Calhoun to content with, I'm not sure where he'll land. He was very likely the most underrated player on last year's team. (Not in terms of statistical achievements, but the intangibles he brings to the table.)

IMO and it's a great problem to have T Sam is a star!!! He clearly has that "bazz" fearlessness shown by his aggressiveness in HUGE spots in NCAA games last year. He uses both hands and he has "that something" about him... I'm sorry but I think this kid will exceed expectations and we will want him on the floor.. He won't sit ..

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The thing I like about TS is that he can be tough and get what he wants and not follow it up with the chest thumps and screams into the camera. While I love what Jeff Adrien did for us, that aspect of his personality always annoyed me a bit. In real life however, he's a really soft-spoken and likable guy but if playing with that kind of extroverted chip on his shoulder made Adrien's achievements possible, then I hope TS will annoy me in similar fashion for the next few years.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
I'm a big believer in Facey. Energy on the glass, he's long, athletic, and I believe in his ability to knock down mid-range and potentially outside shots. If he can stay out of foul trouble, a major question mark at the 4 could be resolved. We'll see what we get from KFace when the season rolls around, but I'm excited!!

Reaction Score
It is doubtful we will see a 4 guard lineup very often unless one of those guards becomes an outstanding rebounder. We could see Brimah and Nolan in the game together but both of them are going to have to learn to cut back on the PFs. I think we will see a lot of Sam Jr. at the 1 and 2. Purvis has yet to prove he can play PG so he is kind of a mystery.
There are so many combinations and "ifs." As usual, it all depends how much players improve their skills and grasp the offense. We could get off to a rocky start but with all this talent and KO at the helm I'm looking forward to an exciting season.

I agree with a lot of what you say but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ollie run some lineups with Hamilton at the four spot (assuming he's classified as a guard). I don't expect to see it often but there could be match-ups where it makes sense.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you say but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ollie run some lineups with Hamilton at the four spot (assuming he's classified as a guard). I don't expect to see it often but there could be match-ups where it makes sense.
I just feel like going to the 4g lineup would necessitate a full court defense which is typically and best employed off of made buckets. I really like how we look coming into this year, but with 3ish new starters, asking for long periods of full court defense following a realigned offensive scheme, given the change in toolset, could be a very large ask. Personally I think our offense will revolve around the 1-3 most of the time, as it did last year, so I don't know if asking them to go fcd is the best possible usage of their energies. To me it really depends on exactly how much time Ollie can give TSam and SCas at the 1, to give boat some air, and how well Omar is able to perform the switches down low at the 4 when the fcd inevitably fails from time to time. Of course all speculation at this point.
IMO and it's a great problem to have T Sam is a star!!! He clearly has that "bazz" fearlessness shown by his aggressiveness in HUGE spots in NCAA games last year. He uses both hands and he has "that something" about him... I'm sorry but I think this kid will exceed expectations and we will want him on the floor.. He won't sit ..
I also love TSam too. Unbelievably deceptive in drives to the rim. Not what I would call pure power or speed, but great pacing, hesitation, body control, anticipation and confidence. It looked like every defender he faced on-1 was left surprised he made it to the hoop and usually scored. In some ways his body control and deception kind of remind me a 10lbs lighter, 4in taller KEA, if that's possible. I also like that he seems to have a hell of a lot of fun otc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom