B1G | Page 83 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Overall? I don't know. Some posters were making clear that each school has it's own culture. I don't know if women's basketball or football is #2 at UConn.

Yes, overall within the B1G as a whole based on attendance and revenue.
For better or worse, at UConn, football has to be equal to or greater than men’s basketball because football is driving everything right now and is dividing the have’s and have not’s

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Overall? I don't know. Some posters were making clear that each school has it's own culture. I don't know if women's basketball or football is #2 at UConn.
football, imo, but the UConn's woman's team enjoys impressive support.

Reaction Score
If the B1G added UConn, Women’s basketball would likely vault to #3 sport programs rankings ahead of hockey because UConn would assume the role of the 500 pound gorilla and that all 16 (assumes UConn and a partner were added) if UConn was added) schools in the B1G play women’s basketball while only 7 (if UConn was added) play men’s hockey.

There is a 0% chance women's basketball will usurp hockey at Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. There's a 0.01% chance it would happen at Michigan State.

Reaction Score
There is a 0% chance women's basketball will usurp hockey at Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. There's a 0.01% chance it would happen at Michigan State.

Was talking about the B1G as a whole and not specific schools. Heck, wrestling is probably the #2 sport behind football at Iowa and Nebraska.

Reaction Score
So a reporter asked Jim Delany if the Big Ten can ever get too big today. His response according to the article was:
"Delany, as you'll see in the video, didn't say yes or no. But he likes where the league is now. For however long that remains."

By the way, check out the shoes!!

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to why the Boston market isn't talked about as much, but I can see it as a big opportunity. UConn is, far and away, the best athletic school from New England. We can be New England's team. When Michigan and Wisconsin and the big boys from the midwest come to play us in fball, if you put that on at the bars, people will come to root New England's team on. When you put the bball games on, people will come to watch some very exciting matchups. Though that, I think we stand to gain a lot more fans in Boston than we already have.

Is there really that much more money in the NY market as to render the Boston market not even worthy of discussion?

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to why the Boston market isn't talked about as much, but I can see it as a big opportunity. UConn is, far and away, the best athletic school from New England. We can be New England's team. When Michigan and Wisconsin and the big boys from the midwest come to play us in fball, if you put that on at the bars, people will come to root New England's team on. When you put the bball games on, people will come to watch some very exciting matchups. Though that, I think we stand to gain a lot more fans in Boston than we already have.

Is there really that much more money in the NY market as to render the Boston market not even worthy of discussion?
Put the crack pipe down....no really .......wow......stop this self anointed NE. team rant have heard it here before. Show a little respect for the other 5 state schools, as well as Harvard, B.U., Northeastern and so on. The Boston pie is sliced and N.Y. draws from the most populated area's of Conn. The market here is saturated with pro and college.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Someone's got to do the winning for this region, and it sure hasn't been your collection of clowns. And the saddest part is that you idiots are somehow still second place here.

Reaction Score
Someone's got to do the winning for this region, and it sure hasn't been your collection of clowns. And the saddest part is that you idiots are somehow still second place here.
The clowns and idiots have been fine for 150 years and counting. U Conn is a fine institution so I dont knock the school, never have. The Boston sports scene does just fine.... including its schools, without any help from outside the state thanks.

Reaction Score
[quotefINGYA, post: 657773, member: 3727"]The clowns and idiots have been fine for 150 years and counting. U Conn is a fine institution so I dont knock the school, never have. The Boston sports scene does just fine.... including its schools, without any help from outside the state thanks.[/quote]
?
Well this board hasn't been around for 150 years but it has done just fine without you lurking.

Reaction Score
Classic BC; scared sh-tless of UConn
Your name calling does nothing to bolster your point of view. Im proud of all of the schools in New England as it has been home my entire life including most of my adult life in Boston. I am aware of the impressive accomplishments made by U Conn over the years. Please spare me the scared line I mean come on. Intimidated, I hardly think so. Do not compare apples and oranges my friend.

Reaction Score
[quotefINGYA, post: 657773, member: 3727"]The clowns and idiots have been fine for 150 years and counting. U Conn is a fine institution so I dont knock the school, never have. The Boston sports scene does just fine.... including its schools, without any help from outside the state thanks.
?
Well this board hasn't been around for 150 years but it has done just fine without you lurking.[/quote]
I am a member here like everyone else, so no lurking here. I treat those around me with respect, and I don't use my time taking swipes at U Conn, I have more respect for the school as a whole. I have met some very nice people here and I have even secured a trophy. I LOVE COLLEGE SPORTS the B.Y. is a great forum.

Reaction Score
Your name calling does nothing to bolster your point of view. Im proud of all of the schools in New England as it has been home my entire life including most of my adult life in Boston. I am aware of the impressive accomplishments made by U Conn over the years. Please spare me the scared line I mean come on. Intimidated, I hardly think so. Do not compare apples and oranges my friend.
uconn is the only new England team to get to the bcs. Apple's and oranges indeed.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

This isn't (necessarily) about helping the Boston market, or about the Boston schools already doing fine on their own, whatever that is supposed to mean. This is about UConn making money for the B1G; and I say with the proper tv support from the B1G, UConn stands to make a loooot of money in the Boston area and beyond. I just said you were scared because you know this on a deep level and don't want UConn to push your school further into irrelevance than it already is. Also, learn what the phrase "apples and oranges" really means, unless you mean apples are teams that win things and oranges are those who fail.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
?
Well this board hasn't been around for 150 years but it has done just fine without you lurking./quote]
I am a member here like everyone else, so no lurking here. I treat those around me with respect, and I don't use my time taking swipes at U Conn, I have more respect for the school as a whole. I have met some very nice people here and I have even secured a trophy. I LOVE COLLEGE SPORTS the B.Y. is a great forum.

You lurk in the sense that you're dormant for a long period of time...that is until someone makes even the most benignly negative comment whatsoever concerning Boston College (babysheep didn't even mention Boston College, and everything said was at least circumstantially correct), regardless of truth. You then go on a passively-aggressive counterattack. ...again, regardless of truth or support.

Put the crack pipe down....no really .......wow......stop this self anointed NE. team rant have heard it here before. Show a little respect for the other 5 state schools, as well as Harvard, B.U., Northeastern and so on. The Boston pie is sliced and N.Y. draws from the most populated area's of Conn. The market here is saturated with pro and college.

I am a member of another team's message board, where it is much easier to get banned. Be that as it may, one of the rules there applies to fansbases of other teams. I keeps this rule in mind when posting here and on opposing fan pages. Its probably a good idea if others did as well, whether or not it is explicitly enforced on a particular forum. It is as follows (redacted and emphasis added):

TO FANS OF OPPOSING TEAMS
This is a website ... primarily devoted to [**team name**] football. While we enjoy visitors, we did not leave the door open hoping to have people drop by intent on changing our way of thinking. We are quite happy (some might argue "miserable" at times) being [**team name**] fans. We continue to believe that each [weekend] marks a new beginning and that eventually we will return to our days of greatness. You, of course, can laugh at that notion, but if you do it here, it probably won't be taken too kindly.

If you're a fan of a rival team, please don't make the mistake of thinking this is an always-friendly environment. When you are here, your screen is [team color] and [team color] for a reason. We’re [**UConn fans**]. Nothing about this site should suggest to you that we are interested in being all things to all football fans. We have many knowledgeable fans here who know quite a bit about [**team name**] football in particular and the [**NCAA**] in general. We allow a certain amount of [**team name**] machismo here, because that is part of the [**team name**] experience. So be advised you will likely encounter critical and disparaging statements related to your chosen football team from time to time. As with all issues, moderators will determine what is or isn't allowable independent of anyone's team affiliation.

Do enjoy your time here---we welcome well-behaved rival fans and enjoy other perspectives in the form of solid football discussion, along with the typical banter expected in such venues as long as it is within our Forum Rules. But don't let your activities interfere with our ability to enjoy your time here."

Reaction Score
Problem with defending against the scared accusation is that actions taken by the BC administration support it. They have actively worked to block the inevitable progress of their neighbor UConn. They apparently believe they cannot be successful athletically if we are on a level playing field. There's no need for namecalling (despite my avatar) it's just a fact that continues today. I hope it changes soon because we should be rivals. It's shortsided and brings down NE athletics imo.

Reaction Score
Your posts are good and rational but some are very bitter (understandly) about the way the ball bounced in CR and has to be expected so try to roll with some of the comments!As an RU fan and friend of UConn athletics it can be difficult to balance the two so I get baited myself frequently!

Reaction Score
Problem with defending against the scared accusation is that actions taken by the BC administration support it. They have actively worked to block the inevitable progress of their neighbor UConn. They apparently believe they cannot be successful athletically if we are on a level playing field. There's no need for namecalling (despite my avatar) it's just a fact that continues today. I hope it changes soon because we should be rivals. It's shortsided and brings down NE athletics imo.

Jimdish255,

Good post - I believe that BC will regret standing against us for the ACC membership eventually. Look at the sparks that fly when the trio from tobacco road get together. It is electric in part because they are a stone's throw from each other. That kind of connection produces great rivalries that kids (recruits) want to be part of. Too bad BC didn't see positives and instead made a decision based on negatives. (I get the lawsuit thing - Blumenthal really got personal and the individuals he made defendants have long memories.) BC needed a real and proximate rival and they don't have one. BTW, Syracuse doesn't do it for them and there is no one else reasonably close by to fill in.

Reaction Score
Your posts are good and rational but some are very bitter (understandly) about the way the ball bounced in CR and has to be expected so try to roll with some of the comments!As an RU fan and friend of UConn athletics it can be difficult to balance the two so I get baited myself frequently!
Hey Nicky thanks for your support. I refuse to take that road because I am sincere with my respect for U Conn, and many of the other former B.E. schools, as well as U Mass. I have been treated fairly here for the most part and I realize i am a guest so i try to behave accordingly. A thriving North East can only be helpful creating a positive national perception.

Reaction Score
Hey Nicky thanks for your support. I refuse to take that road because I am sincere with my respect for U Conn, and many of the other former B.E. schools, as well as U Mass. I have been treated fairly here for the most part and I realize i am a guest so i try to behave accordingly. A thriving North East can only be helpful creating a positive national perception.
Yeah BCINGYA this is a good board with mostly good fans and I find it most interesting especially the CR board and I feel these good fans should know there not alone in there plight for national respect and people outside of Connecticut are needed to stem the tide and change national perception!!As a long suffering RU fan (since 65) who's been through the same thing "WhatsaRutgers" for too long and I won't enjoy our new conference knowing a fellow eastern sleeping giant is getting the shaft!I was wary of you "and most BC guys" from past experience until I read enough of your posts to find them sincere whether I agree or not!So try to roll with the occasional baiting and OT knocks to your team and put the childish on ignore as I enjoy your contributions as a Northeastern(not the team) CFB fan!

Reaction Score
More from our pal Dennis Dodd here.

11. Realignment is dead

Or extremely sleepy. The ACC's grant of rights essentially put the brakes on realignmentfor the near term.
As for super conferences, we're already there folks. Seven of the 10 FBS leagues have at least 12 teams after this latest round of realignment (it will be eight of 10 when the American gets to 12 in 2015).
Think of them as media conglomerates more than leagues to the point that some traditions have been lost in interest of creating those conglomerates (West Virginia in the Big 12?).
Want to win a bar bet? Memorize the teams in the Conference USA East and West divisions. The same for the Big Ten, which is getting rid of the thoroughly confusing Leaders and Legends.
The Mountain West essentially said, "Ah, screw it." Its division names beginning this season are the Mountain West Mountain and Mountain West West.
Got all that?
As far as the next round of reshuffling, the Big Ten is next up with speculation still swirling that it will add a couple more schools before its TV deal is renegotiated in a couple of years.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Due to our spot 1/2 way between New York and Boston we are in a unique (and successful) position to represent New England, so I don't buy what you're selling. As a Board member of the Little League team that represented New England -and I was all over CT, MA, VT and NH (missed ME and RI) the last few weeks - there was a home town pride for our team everywhere I went - representing New England. Contrary to your contention the state splits pretty evenly between Giants fans (a few Jets fans) and Pats fans; Rangers/Bruins; Knicks Celtics. And as to saturated markets, there's always room for winners.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

The other 5 states have FB teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog