B1G | Page 73 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Connecticut never abandoned big time football. It abandoned us. The appetite for big time football is here and is waiting to be awakened. If UCONN can provide the legitimate brand of football (Big 10), it will dwarf the basketball following."

Truer words have never been spoken!!

Reaction Score
Yes, you're right, and that's why I included the clause at the top of my post saying this extended down through Philly and to a lesser extent into DC. RU and UConn are the only two I can think of with the split-alliance issue of having two major cities with ample pro teams that have enormous fanbases within very short distances of campus. UMD isn't really close enough to Philly to count, and Baltimore is a marginal pro market with only one heavily-followed team. Southern California might be one, with LA, Anaheim, and San Diego in close proximity, for USC and UCLA. But the blaring omission there is there are no NFL teams, save the Chargers (who cares about the Chargers?) so USC/UCLA football aren't competing against any pro team in their respective sports. There's really nowhere else in the country where there are this many pro teams jammed into a small geographic area, much less heavily-followed pro teams, and UConn and RU are smack dab in between all of them.

Its not fair to say that USC/UCLA don't compete against any pro teams. It wasn't that long ago that they directly competed with 2 pro football teams in LA and did just fine. For BB, they compete directly with 2 pro teams, one that can be argued as the most popular team ever (Bulls and Knicks are in that tier as well). And the Dodgers are in the top tier of baseball teams for popularity and playoff baseball overlaps the first 8 games of college football.

It is really hard to compare Uconn's situation to any other school. Rutgers is most similar with respect to pro markets, but aside from markets, Uconn and Rutgers are not very similar. Frank gave a good example of universities in the midwest that are surrounded by cities but still command a solid fanbase. But most of those universities differ from Uconn because they come from larger states and have a much longer history of football/basketball tradition. This history has created the larger fanbases you see from midwest schools.

From an outsiders perspective, Uconn has had a much shorter history of football/basketball tradition. Uconn has had great success in the past 15 years, with the past 8 being very solid. During this time frame Uconn won NCs has added a D1 football program. These are all positives for building a stronger fanbase, but fanbases don't grow overnight. For many universities the fanbase is passed on from generation to generation. The Uconn fanbase needs time to grow. Uconn planted fanbase seeds the past 15 years (the past 8 have been the strongest), many of which are outside of the New England area (myself included). My dad was a Pitt fan from the 70's and early 80's. My brothers and I grew up Pitt fans because our dad was a Pitt fan (at my house you wouldn't have known PSU existed). As a young adult I see similar traits from PSU and OSU fans and grads with respect to passing the fanbase from generation to generation. I think the Uconn fanbase has planted a large first generation fanbase the past 15 years and will see a spike in another 10 years or so when this gets passed on to the next generation.

I think the timing of conference realignment is the number one enemy of Uconn right now. Ten years ago Uconn may have dropped football and joined the C7. In the past ten years Uconn has grown and solidified its position in D1 football and grown its fanbase. Ten years from now Uconn will likely have AAU membership and the second generation fanbase will be starting to grow. I think Uconn is clearly the best asset remaining for the B1G and ACC, but conferences are trying to get settled in. Within 2 years ND became a half member, several Big 12 and ACC schools still flirting with the B1G and SEC, a new football playoff was created, and new conference members in each conference have yet to play a game.

Reaction Score
Its not fair to say that USC/UCLA don't compete against any pro teams. It wasn't that long ago that they directly competed with 2 pro football teams in LA and did just fine. For BB, they compete directly with 2 pro teams, one that can be argued as the most popular team ever (Bulls and Knicks are in that tier as well). And the Dodgers are in the top tier of baseball teams for popularity and playoff baseball overlaps the first 8 games of college football.

It is really hard to compare Uconn's situation to any other school. Rutgers is most similar with respect to pro markets, but aside from markets, Uconn and Rutgers are not very similar. Frank gave a good example of universities in the midwest that are surrounded by cities but still command a solid fanbase. But most of those universities differ from Uconn because they come from larger states and have a much longer history of football/basketball tradition. This history has created the larger fanbases you see from midwest schools.

From an outsiders perspective, Uconn has had a much shorter history of football/basketball tradition. Uconn has had great success in the past 15 years, with the past 8 being very solid. During this time frame Uconn won NCs has added a D1 football program. These are all positives for building a stronger fanbase, but fanbases don't grow overnight. For many universities the fanbase is passed on from generation to generation. The Uconn fanbase needs time to grow. Uconn planted fanbase seeds the past 15 years (the past 8 have been the strongest), many of which are outside of the New England area (myself included). My dad was a Pitt fan from the 70's and early 80's. My brothers and I grew up Pitt fans because our dad was a Pitt fan (at my house you wouldn't have known PSU existed). As a young adult I see similar traits from PSU and OSU fans and grads with respect to passing the fanbase from generation to generation. I think the Uconn fanbase has planted a large first generation fanbase the past 15 years and will see a spike in another 10 years or so when this gets passed on to the next generation.

I think the timing of conference realignment is the number one enemy of Uconn right now. Ten years ago Uconn may have dropped football and joined the C7. In the past ten years Uconn has grown and solidified its position in D1 football and grown its fanbase. Ten years from now Uconn will likely have AAU membership and the second generation fanbase will be starting to grow. I think Uconn is clearly the best asset remaining for the B1G and ACC, but conferences are trying to get settled in. Within 2 years ND became a half member, several Big 12 and ACC schools still flirting with the B1G and SEC, a new football playoff was created, and new conference members in each conference have yet to play a game.

Do some more research on UConn. It would take me all day to correct the errors in that post. Posters on here watched UConn compete in the NCAA tournament in the 1960s at a level much higher than Pitt has reached in a half of century.

No matter the size of the midwestern states, look at population. States like Iowa are smaller. And Iowa shares its state with another big school. UConn doesn't. Wisconsin is most similar to UConn, in population numbers and the strength of its high school sports and the fact there's no other school. Indiana might have 75% more population but also houses 3 big schools.

The idea that a fanbase has just been planted applies to football only for UConn. Definitely not basketball. When you look at the number of fans that buy tix for men's and women's bball, the number of fans watching on TV, this is a mature fanbase without a doubt. Ask some of the posters here who have been watching UConn bball compete at high levels for half a century.

Reaction Score

@Count me part of your Dads generation as I think the 70's were the golden year's of Pitt football with Hugh Greene and Ricky Jackson feeding on everyone's QB's and backfield's!!Even then I followed RU but Pitt and PSU were favored in NJ then with the exception of ND and maybe to a much lesser degree in Northern NJ "Cuse" as maybe 4th or 5th choice but Cuse has been replaced by RU and Uconn!!During the Flutie era BC caught some traction in NJ too!!They also lost most of there following and what little was left went with the wind when they "carpet bagged" into the southern league!!Even I started to follow Uconn football then and like everyone else dumped BC!!Uconn has gained popularity much quicker than most newer FB player's in the good sense!!As" Man, UConn's become a real player in the NE"!!

Reaction Score

Good post. I agree with alot of what you say, but am going to nitpick.

Every thing in the bolded line is an example of things NOT settling in. How can we come to the conclusion conferences are trying to settle in with all of that occuring. The B1G is going to go for the kill sooner or later in the next few years IMO. I want UConn to be as attractive as possible when that day comes.

Reaction Score

Every thing in the bolded line is an example of things NOT settling in. How can we come to the conclusion conferences are trying to settle in with all of that occuring. The B1G is going to go for the kill sooner or later in the next few years IMO. I want UConn to be as attractive as possible when that day comes.

But, about a young fanbase in basketball, what does that even mean? How is it a young fanbase? He's comparing UConn to Rutgers and Pitt, I suppose. In the 1960s, UConn got to a level of an NCAA tournament that Pitt and Rutgers have not reached in eons. So, if Uconn's bball fanbase is in the early stage... how would anyone characterize Pitt and Rutgers?

Not to mention that in football Uconn gets as many fans as Pitt does. Pitt has a great history, has been around for ages--but then you look at how that translates into fans... How does it translate? It doesn't.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I have a hard time comparing Dodger and Angel fans (or fans of any left coast team), a fair amount who arrive in the 3rd and leave in the 8th, to the fanbases of the Red Sox or Yankees. It can't be explained. The west coast and midwest are just two vastly different ways of life than the Eastern Seaboard...not worse...different.

Also UConn made noise starting in the early 90's and arrived in 1999, when they "upset" Duke. Where do you get only the past 8 years being only very solid?

Reaction Score
Holy cow, you know very little about UConn. Seriously, do some research.

Where did I go wrong?

1. USC/UCLA have and still do contend with very popular pro sports.

2. Uconn's situation is like none other. Its location is between 2 large markets. Its location is the flank end for B1G and ACC. Many universities such as Ville, WVU, Pitt, UC, and most Big 12 and ACC schools are in a location that would include 3 to 4 conferences near footprint.

3. Uconn has a limited football history, especially to people not closely connected to Uconn. Uconn's basketball history is much stronger, but I put a lot of emphesis on the past 15 years as this is when you dominated and built a fanbase. I think most people would agree that the past 15 years was very good for growning the Uconn fanbase.

4. Timing was bad for Uconn. Uconn was not consider during the first raid because D1 football was just starting up. This time around Ville was given a spot in the ACC, partly attributed to recent success.

5. I think most people will agree that Uconns future looks very bright and that 10 years from now the fanbase will be stronger.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time comparing Dodger and Angel fans (or fans of any left coast team), a fair amount who arrive in the 3rd and leave in the 8th, to the fanbases of the Red Sox or Yankees. It can't be explained. The west coast and midwest are just two vastly different ways of life than the Eastern Seaboard...not worse...different.

Also UConn made noise starting in the early 90's and arrived in 1999, when they "upset" Duke. Where do you get only the past 8 years being only very solid?

I said "great success the past 15 years, with the past 8 being very solid." I should have said the past 9 years being very solid. Uconn won in 1999, but I associate the past 9 years from 2004 to 2013 as being more important. Uconn added football to major D1 conference in 2004, won mens BB NC in 2004, won several BE titles in the expanded BE during this time frame. I'm just saying I put even more emphesis on the past 9 years because I think Uconn accomplished more over those 9 years, but stated that the past 15 have been great for Uconn.

Reaction Score
Where did I go wrong?

1. USC/UCLA have and still do contend with very popular pro sports.

2. Uconn's situation is like none other. Its location is between 2 large markets. Its location is the flank end for B1G and ACC. Many universities such as Ville, WVU, Pitt, UC, and most Big 12 and ACC schools are in a location that would include 3 to 4 conferences near footprint.

3. Uconn has a limited football history, especially to people not closely connected to Uconn. Uconn's basketball history is much stronger, but I put a lot of emphesis on the past 15 years as this is when you dominated and built a fanbase. I think most people would agree that the past 15 years was very good for growning the Uconn fanbase.

4. Timing was bad for Uconn. Uconn was not consider during the first raid because D1 football was just starting up. This time around Ville was given a spot in the ACC, partly attributed to recent success.

5. I think most people will agree that Uconns future looks very bright and that 10 years from now the fanbase will be stronger.

#3. That's where. UConn had a long history prior to the BE, made a couple deep tourney runs. During the early years of the BE, for the first 3 or 4, UConn was one of the better teams in the BE. When I went to games, the civic Center was jam packed and rocking. The team was followed by a ton of media. Dave Gavitt knew exactly what he was doing. UConn had ne of the best fanbases around back then, and they even held the Big East tournament in Hartford. Calhoun took over in 86-87 and turned the fortunes around after a brief spell. Seriously, if you diminish what Uconn did prior to 2004 or even 1999, then you're essentially saying that Rutgers and Pitt are in nowheresville, because neither school has reached the heights that Uconn did prior to the period of your cut-off dates. Look at the history a little bit.

Last, I'm not so impressed really by the long traditions (of losing mostly, Rutgers) or the great traditions (Pitt) since those traditions have not put the two schools out in front of UConn in terms of fans. All 3 schools have had about the same level of interest for a decade, and the same relative success and failure. The only difference with Uconn is that it doesn't have that long tradition, but that lack of tradition certainly isn't hurting UConn in competing with Pitt and Rutgers on the field or for fans. This likely means, as Pitt and Rutgers have shown, that moving up in the football world in terms of interest and in terms of winning is a long hard slog.

Reaction Score
But, about a young fanbase in basketball, what does that even mean? How is it a young fanbase? He's comparing UConn to Rutgers and Pitt, I suppose. In the 1960s, UConn got to a level of an NCAA tournament that Pitt and Rutgers have not reached in eons. So, if Uconn's bball fanbase is in the early stage... how would anyone characterize Pitt and Rutgers?

Not to mention that in football Uconn gets as many fans as Pitt does. Pitt has a great history, has been around for ages--but then you look at how that translates into fans... How does it translate? It doesn't.

In the 70's RU done amazing thing's as an eastern player like getting to the Final 4 and put load's of players into the pro's until the mid 80's so if I remember it's not exactly "eon's ago"!Naturally RU hadn't reached UConn's status but were national new's for at least near a decade when Uconn was what UMass is to FB today!!Connecticut resident but Brooklyn native Phil Seller's and Roy Hinson were big star's then!

Reaction Score

I agree Uconn had a strong fanbase for basketball before 15 years ago, but you can not say that it did not grow significantly in the past 15 years. That growth will be multiplied with the next generation. I'm not comparing to Pitt and don't know about Rutgers. Speaking for Pitt BB, we barely sell out 12500 and only follow it in good years. Pittsburgh is not a BB town, and Pitt's history is way to short to have a strong fanbase.

As for football, the Rent only holds 40K and Pitt has averaged over 40K fans every year since moving to Heinz Field in 2001. In most years Pitt has average upper 40K with a few years over 50K. I agree the attendance could be better for Pitt football, but its not terrible.

Reaction Score
#3. That's where. UConn had a long history prior to the BE, made a couple deep tourney runs. During the early years of the BE, for the first 3 or 4, UConn was one of the better teams in the BE. When I went to games, the civic Center was jam packed and rocking. The team was followed by a ton of media. Dave Gavitt knew exactly what he was doing. UConn had ne of the best fanbases around back then, and they even held the Big East tournament in Hartford. Calhoun took over in 86-87 and turned the fortunes around after a brief spell. Seriously, if you diminish what Uconn did prior to 2004 or even 1999, then you're essentially saying that Rutgers and Pitt are in nowheresville, because neither school has reached the heights that Uconn did prior to the period of your cut-off dates. Look at the history a little bit.

Last, I'm not so impressed really by the long traditions (of losing mostly, Rutgers) or the great traditions (Pitt) since those traditions have not put the two schools out in front of UConn in terms of fans. All 3 schools have had about the same level of interest for a decade, and the same relative success and failure. The only difference with Uconn is that it doesn't have that long tradition, but that lack of tradition certainly isn't hurting UConn in competing with Pitt and Rutgers on the field or for fans. This likely means, as Pitt and Rutgers have shown, that moving up in the football world in terms of interest and in terms of winning is a long hard slog.

Only recently in men's hoop's!!RU has a much more impressive FB history and proud history in WBB well before Auriemma!!Don't pull my leg too hard my bell's are ringing!Talk about smug!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Symantics, but "great" is more superlative than "solid."

UConn has been competing in, and winning conference titles, in the Big East since 1990 (Conf Tourney titles: in 90, 96, 98, 99, 02, 04, and '11. They've won or shared the regular season title in 90, 94, 95, 96, 98, 99, 02, 03, 05, and 06). Don't get me wrong. UConn deserves the credit you are giving it, but it deserves more...much more... credit than merely from the beginning of the Ben Howland era at Pitt.

Reaction Score
Is this the way you guy's treated people like BC and Cuse?Be wary of who your friends are!!

Reaction Score

I agree the realignment is not over, I just expect conferences to wait a few years to re-evaluate the landscape before growing again. Everyone except the Pac 12 made moves, and I think unless Virginia makes a move for the B1G now, it will be a few years while everyone evaluates the options. Realignment is not over because having 5 conferences of 10, 12, 14, 14, and 14 1/2 is going to be headaches for everyone.

Reaction Score

UConn has been competing in, and winning conference titles, in the Big East since 1990 (Conf Tourney titles: in 90, 96, 98, 99, 02, 04, and '11. They've won or shared the regular season title in 90, 94, 95, 96, 98, 99, 02, 03, 05, and 06). Don't get me wrong. UConn deserves the credit you are giving it, but it deserves more...much more... credit than merely from the beginning of the Ben Howland era at Pitt.
We all know about your championship's but the question is...does anyone care?Try a LITTLE humility and act confident NOT defensive and jealous!!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Only recently in men's hoop's!!RU has a much more impressive FB history and proud history in WBB well before Auriemma!!Don't pull my leg too hard my bell's are ringing!Talk about smug!
The only reason Rutgers has a much more impressive football history is because it had a history.

How many championships has Rutgers won? One...in fencing in 1949.

Reaction Score
The only reason Rutgers has a much more impressive football history is because it had a history.

Again...who care's there IN already!!

Reaction Score

I agree Uconn deserves more credit than I gave it, but I associate Uconn dominance as starting in 1999 with the NC, right or wrong. That NC is what caught the eyes of many newer members of the Uconn fanbase (myself included). These new members will mostly associate the recent history since 1999 since they may not have watched much before then. My point is that in 1999 Uconn finally reach the top and that caught the eyes of many new members. Also Uconn WBB has become more dominant each year with the past 8-9 being really strong.

Reaction Score

Do you have a fencing championship? Then STFU!! Are ya bragging or complaining!

Reaction Score
I agree Uconn deserves more credit than I gave it, but I associate Uconn dominance as starting in 1999 with the NC, right or wrong. That NC is what caught the eyes of many newer members of the Uconn fanbase (myself included). These new members will mostly associate the recent history since 1999 since they may not have watched much before then. My point is that in 1999 Uconn finally reach the top and that caught the eyes of many new members. Also Uconn WBB has become more dominant each year with the past 8-9 being really strong.

@Or was it Calhoun dominance?

Husky25

Reaction Score
We all know about your championship's but the question is...does anyone care?Try a LITTLE humility and act confident NOT defensive and jealous!!

I don't have to act defensive and I'm not Jealous. Rutgers was not invited to the Big Ten for anything except potential eyeballs in the greater New York City Metropolitan region. Get the BTN on an expanded basic cable package and off the a la carte specialty sports tier. That is it.

UConn can still compete for its 4th Men's basketball title in the AAC. They are not even close to NC caliber in football, so I will enjoy the games just the same. Rutgers is going to get slaughtered by the likes of OSU, Wisc. MSU and UM on a regualr basis. Rutgers may be in the Big Ten, but on the field they are in no better position.

Good day, Sir.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I gave you a like because you explained yourself. You're not trolling...

WBB, was strongest at the turn of the century, but I understand your point because competition was stronger these past 10 years.

Reaction Score
@UPitt came on the board and carried himself with honest fact's and curiosity why turn that into some kind of attack on UConn sport's?He's been patient,friendly and respectful!I don't detect any sarcasm or feeling of superiority coming from him and appreciate the outside viewpoint on UConn sport's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom