B1G | Page 102 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hey Jim Delany: 2-6 UCONN drew as many fans to Yankee Stadium as 2012 7-1 Rutgers did (a year that they were playing for a BCS berth). New York City bleeds blue too.

Reaction Score
Down here in the southland, we have a saying for almost anything...but one that seems apropos to the whole CR discussion is

Don't itch if you can't scratch.

Reaction Score
AAU. This organization has a purpose for higher education, yet keeps an elitist attitude by only inviting the best of the best, apparently. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to spread the wealth to those programs seeking to improve themselves rather than just excluding those not invited?
"Today, the primary purpose of the organization is to provide a forum for the development and implementation of institutional and national policies, in order to promote strong programs in academic research and scholarship and undergraduate, graduate, and professional education."
"The largest attraction of the AAU for many schools, especially nonmembers, is prestige."
So its actual mission isn't the most important benefit.
The secondary purpose, of course, is to weed out athletic programs.

Reaction Score
AAU. This organization has a purpose for higher education, yet keeps an elitist attitude by only inviting the best of the best, apparently. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to spread the wealth to those programs seeking to improve themselves rather than just excluding those not invited?
"Today, the primary purpose of the organization is to provide a forum for the development and implementation of institutional and national policies, in order to promote strong programs in academic research and scholarship and undergraduate, graduate, and professional education."
"The largest attraction of the AAU for many schools, especially nonmembers, is prestige."
So its actual mission isn't the most important benefit.
The secondary purpose, of course, is to weed out athletic programs.

The AAU is a lobbying group in Washington DC. It asks that more money be allocated to the National foundations. That's its reason for being in a nutshell.

Reaction Score
I don't "hate" Maryland...I am just happy that they are no longer on the schedule. I hope that they do well in the Big Ten East.

Beyond silly. Your school salivated at adding a school in Louisville that isn't half the program Maryland is in football. Maryland has had stronger teams, better football recently, and historically, AND most importantly has a much better recruiting home territory than Kentucky or the area around Louisville.

Reaction Score
The AAU is a lobbying group in Washington DC. It asks that more money be allocated to the National foundations. That's its reason for being in a nutshell.
B1G requires AAU membership, but the Ivy League does not. Interesting.

Reaction Score
Beyond silly. Your school salivated at adding a school in Louisville that isn't half the program Maryland is in football. Maryland has had stronger teams, better football recently, and historically, AND most importantly has a much better recruiting home territory than Kentucky or the area around Louisville.

Maryland lost 90% of their games with my school....they were a boring opponent. Watching Papa John's rock during the game just freshened my memory.

Maryland will be more of a presence playing Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers and the like. It will be good for their program.

FSU will always cherry pick out of Maryland/DC. Just as they do New Jersey. example...Kai Locksley ,QB commitment out of Baltimore for 2015, and Roderick Johnson, Rick Leonard, and Brock Ruble out of Maryland in 2014. And current starters Eddie Goldman (DC) and Ronald Darby (Maryland). But the southern recruiting area of Florida, Georgia will always feed the majority of the commits.

Reaction Score
The Ivy League does require it. And a whole lot more.
I was checking out of curiosity and Dartmouth is not AAU. I am certain Dartmouth is exceptional, probably just not as big on the research front.

Reaction Score
Maryland lost 90% of their games with my school....they were a boring opponent. Watching Papa John's rock during the game just freshened my memory.

Maryland will be more of a presence playing Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers and the like. It will be good for their program.

FSU will always cherry pick out of Maryland/DC. Just as they do New Jersey. example...Kai Locksley ,QB commitment out of Baltimore for 2015, and Roderick Johnson, Rick Leonard, and Brock Ruble out of Maryland in 2014. And current starters Eddie Goldman (DC) and Ronald Darby (Maryland). But the southern recruiting area of Florida, Georgia will always feed the majority of the commits.

All of this is irrelevant to what I wrote. Maryland has been better at football historically and recently. Maryland has a better recruiting home territory too.

Anyway you cut it, Louisville is a downgrade. I'm not even mentioning home market for TV where Maryland absolutely blows away Louisville. To dismiss the loss of Maryland is beyond ridiculous and makes one a fool.

Reaction Score
I was checking out of curiosity and Dartmouth is not AAU. I am certain Dartmouth is exceptional, probably just not as big on the research front.

Eh, when we're talking about schools that have been together forever, before the dawn of bigtime college athletics, I'm sure that no one cared about all of this. Remember, the B1G added Nebraska knowing that Michigan and Wisconsin were already conniving to kick Nebraska out of the AAU.

Reaction Score
Look...you have your opinion and we have ours...suffice it to say that FSU guys are ecstatic about losing Maryland for a football school like Louisville. And recruiting territory in Maryland has little meaning to a Florida team like FSU. Huh? I just looked up the Rivals Class ranks and FSU is at #4...not hurting.

Home market for TV...well nobody much watched Maryland....While Louisville has been a top 10 ESPN metered market (#9 for the 2013 season).

The top 25 markets for ESPN’s regular-season telecasts for the 2013-14 season:

Season RankMarketRating

1Birmingham9.2
2Greenville4.9
3Knoxville4.4
4New Orleans4.3
5Nashville3.3
Memphis3.3
Columbus3.3
Jacksonville3.3
Louisville3.2
Atlanta3.2
No. 11Charlotte2.9
Oklahoma City2.8
No. 13Orlando2.7
No. 14Tulsa2.6
Tampa-St. Petersburg2.6
No. 16Austin2.5
West Palm Beach2.5
Kansas City2.4
Norfolk2.4
Dayton2.3
Greensboro2.2
Raleigh-Durham2.2
Richmond2.2
No. 24Ft. Myers2.1
No. 25Dallas-Fort Worth2.0

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
billybud said:
Look...you have your opinion and we have ours...suffice it to say that FSU guys are ecstatic about losing Maryland for a football school like Louisville. And recruiting territory in Maryland has little meaning to a Florida team like FSU. Huh? I just looked up the Rivals Class ranks and FSU is at #4...not hurting.

Home market for TV...well nobody much watched Maryland....While Louisville has been a top 10 ESPN metered market (#9 for the 2013 season).

Season RankMarketRating
1Birmingham9.2
2Greenville4.9
3Knoxville4.4
4New Orleans4.3
5Nashville3.3
Memphis3.3
Columbus3.3
Jacksonville3.3
Louisville3.2
Atlanta3.2
No. 11Charlotte2.9
Oklahoma City2.8
No. 13Orlando2.7
No. 14Tulsa2.6
Tampa-St. Petersburg2.6
No. 16Austin2.5
West Palm Beach2.5
Kansas City2.4
Norfolk2.4
Dayton2.3
Greensboro2.2
Raleigh-Durham2.2
Richmond2.2
No. 24Ft. Myers2.1

We know why UL was picked and it had everything to do with placating FSU and to a lesser extent Clemson. It was an easy sell, given the presence of the members of the Husky bit ch brigade.

Reaction Score

Why do you have so much difficulty reading? No one said this hurts FSU.

I was responding to your glee that Maryland is no longer on the slate. I responded by saying you prefer a school that's worse at football (easily demonstrated, by records in recent years, finishes in rankings, historically, and by recruiting territory).

Now, you've lost your absolute mind by claiming Louisville has a better TV market. You're nuts.

6 million people live in Maryland, a state with one main public university.

250k live in Louisville, and UKentucky is a very popular school in the region as well.

So, Louisville could have every single eyeball in the area watching them play football, a 100 rating, and it wouldn't equal Maryland's 3.5 rating (25x as many people in Maryland).

You are very bad at math. I said this to you last year, but let me explain again. The highest rated market for the NCAA men's basketball championship game last year was Louisville. They did a 48 rating. That was higher than the rating for the previous year's NCAA men's game when Louisville actually played in it. I'm going to assume it was so high because Kentucky was playing and Kentucky has a lot of fans there.

The number of people watching in Louisville, however, came nowhere close to the number of people watching in Conn's tri-state region. It wasn't even close.

In fact, I'll go beyond that. More people in New York City watched the UConn women play bball in the women's championship game (4.7 rating) than watched the men's championship game in Louisville.

pj

Reaction Score

For new applicants to the league, they might well require it. I doubt they'd be inviting Smith College or Haverford into the Ivy League. Probably they'd also require private universities, and geographic proximity. That would give Boston Univ, Brandeis, Johns Hopkins, MIT, McGill, New York University as the list of candidates.

Reaction Score
For new applicants to the league, they might well require it. I doubt they'd be inviting Smith College or Haverford into the Ivy League. Probably they'd also require private universities, and geographic proximity. That would give Boston Univ, Brandeis, Johns Hopkins, MIT, McGill, New York University as the list of candidates.

Apparently Yale has been blocking UConn's entrance into the Ivy League. When asked about it, Yale reportedly said, "Its about turf". . .

Reaction Score
This article on Johns Hopkins Women's Lacrosse hints at JHU women's lacrosse possibly joining the B1G as an affiliate member like the JHU men's lacrosse team as early as 2016.

http://www.laxmagazine.com/college_women/DI/2014-15/news/100814_30_in_30_blue_jays_flying_solo

Back in 2013 when the Big Ten officially announced men's and women's lacrosse as the conference's 27th and 28th sports during a press conference, commissioner James E. Delany said, regarding Hopkins women's lacrosse, "We'd be interested if they're interested."

It would make sense for the Johns Hopkins women to wind up in the Big Ten as an affiliate member. But that won't be until 2016 at the soonest. Considering the fact that the men's program has joined the Big Ten, how would Tucker feel? Would she be interested in something like that?

"I think the Big Ten is an awesome conference and I'd be really excited to have that opportunity," she said.

In that quote, "Tucker" is Janine Tucker, JHU Women's LAX head coach.

Reaction Score

Season RankMarketRating

1Birmingham9.2
2Greenville4.9
3Knoxville4.4
4New Orleans4.3
5Nashville3.3
Memphis3.3
Columbus3.3
Jacksonville3.3
Louisville3.2
Atlanta3.2
No. 11Charlotte2.9
Oklahoma City2.8
No. 13Orlando2.7
No. 14Tulsa2.6
Tampa-St. Petersburg2.6
No. 16Austin2.5
West Palm Beach2.5
Kansas City2.4
Norfolk2.4
Dayton2.3
Greensboro2.2
Raleigh-Durham2.2
Richmond2.2
No. 24Ft. Myers2.1

You continue to misuse the data above. It's a one-legged stool. The list better represents the markets where TV is the main form of entertainment (in some cases because options are limited for a variety of reasons). This is not say some of these small markets aren't help by the data above, but to suggest the above list defines the most valuable markets is incorrect. Here's a quick list of the top media markets (the first one I plucked). It has Louisville at 50. It's just not as valuable as you are trying to spin it: http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Even this older article focusing on college football does a better job quantifying value:
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ege-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/?_r=0

Reaction Score
The markets that I linked are the important ones...to ESPN, the ACC partner. The ESPN metered markets.

Maryland is Maryland...I don't see why so many folks are bent out of shape that most FSU football fans far prefer a football school like Louisville over Maryland.

If BC were to join the ACC, I'd prefer Louisville over them as well.

Reaction Score
Maryland is Maryland...I don't see why so many folks are bent out of shape that most FSU football fans far prefer a football school like Louisville over Maryland.

Because Maryland beats them as a school, in terms of market and eyeballs, and in terms of football, and in terms of recruiting territory. Maryland has it over Louisville in every facet. Every single one.

Reaction Score
Because Maryland beats them as a school, in terms of market and eyeballs, and in terms of football, and in terms of recruiting territory. Maryland has it over Louisville in every facet. Every single one.

By the way, UL fans will tell you it's a bball school, not a football school at all.

Last 40 years, UL has been ranked in football 8 times. Maryland? 14 times.

Reaction Score
I get it...you think Maryland is really something. I don't.

The Big Ten has Maryland, they should be thrilled. We have Louisville and are thrilled.

Louisville has won the Sugar and Orange in the last two seasons.

Louisville has roaring crowds in the stands...

Louisville has brought new interest to our fans.

After 22 years of having Maryland on the schedule, I can only say "whew!" about them leaving it.

We like Louisville...what is to you guys?

Reaction Score
I get it...you think Maryland is really something. I don't.

The Big Ten has Maryland, they should be thrilled. We have Louisville and are thrilled.

Louisville has won the Sugar and Orange in the last two seasons.

Louisville has roaring crowds in the stands...

Louisville has brought new interest to our fans.

After 22 years of having Maryland on the schedule, I can only say "whew!" about them leaving it.

We like Louisville...what is to you guys?

I can care less what you like. All I'm talking about is that Maryland has outperformed the school you like by every measure.

Reaction Score
Right!

Except for providing competition, ardent fans, and a great football atmosphere...Maryland was all right. A "w" that could be inked in at the beginning of the season.

But there is a reason that FSU fans are happy with the exchange. We would be almost as thrilled to have BC go to the B1G.

pj

Reaction Score
Right!

Except for providing competition, ardent fans, and a great football atmosphere...Maryland was all right. A "w" that could be inked in at the beginning of the season.

But there is a reason that FSU fans are happy with the exchange. We would be almost as thrilled to have BC go to the B1G.

You were happy to get BC when they joined. You'll be as happy about Louisville in 20 years as you are about BC now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom