Azzi update | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#$%& or get off the pot. Thats frustration talking, but time is running out. The team that is playing now need Azzi, and if she has no idea when she will be ready, just shut down and don't come back until next year. The players need to know, the coaching staff needs to know, because some new kind of playing strategy has to occur or we will be out before the sweet 16. The current players are playing their hearts out, but let's face it, they are not playing very well at this point. Geno refuses to give breaks using his bench, and yes, they don't score, but maybe they are afraid to shoot. Ines in one of her last appearances had open 3 pt looks but did not shoot. If the current team can't score, give the other "non-scorers" a chance. Since Caroline came back, he has shortened the bench even more, only using 6 players instead of 7. If Azzi doesn't come back within the last couple of regular games, she won't be back, or at least, she may not be effective. The way it's going now, if these kids don't get some rest, the season is over. I don't know why he doesn't see that. It has to be Azzi, or the bench, because we will go nowhere by making these kids play all these minutes without breaks. I'm not happy about this post, but I am not happy with how this is playing out. Nika, Aubrey, Aaliyah, Dorka, and Lou are rock stars and should be appreciated for their hard work and attitude. Love those girls. Come on Geno, come on Azzi, figure something out, but do something.
You misunderstand the fatigue problem completely. It’s not the minutes tiring them out. It’s the insane travel schedule paired with close and hard games due to our best players being injured.

Reaction Score
#$%& or get off the pot. Thats frustration talking, but time is running out. The team that is playing now need Azzi, and if she has no idea when she will be ready, just shut down and don't come back until next year. The players need to know, the coaching staff needs to know, because some new kind of playing strategy has to occur or we will be out before the sweet 16. The current players are playing their hearts out, but let's face it, they are not playing very well at this point. Geno refuses to give breaks using his bench, and yes, they don't score, but maybe they are afraid to shoot. Ines in one of her last appearances had open 3 pt looks but did not shoot. If the current team can't score, give the other "non-scorers" a chance. Since Caroline came back, he has shortened the bench even more, only using 6 players instead of 7. If Azzi doesn't come back within the last couple of regular games, she won't be back, or at least, she may not be effective. The way it's going now, if these kids don't get some rest, the season is over. I don't know why he doesn't see that. It has to be Azzi, or the bench, because we will go nowhere by making these kids play all these minutes without breaks. I'm not happy about this post, but I am not happy with how this is playing out. Nika, Aubrey, Aaliyah, Dorka, and Lou are rock stars and should be appreciated for their hard work and attitude. Love those girls. Come on Geno, come on Azzi, figure something out, but do something.
It’s just basketball, not life or death. Maybe it will be good for the team to get knock out of the tournament early, get an extended vacation and some rest before next season. The team will come back motivated, realizing that making the final four isn’t a given and requires a lot of hard work.

Reaction Score
As is normal, I tend to view things from the opposite end of the telescope. Not providing or not knowing a definitive return date for Azzi could force the opposing coaches to prepare for UConn as if she will play. That means diverting practice time during the Big East and NCAA tournaments to prepare for Azzi. Due to the limited practice time available during tournaments this may result in less proficient game plan and personnel performance.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We all need to understand that we have no idea of whats going on. The coaches players and parents do. We dont know whats going on behind the scenes. So put simply We dont know that we dont know and what we dont know we speculate about. Now there are some people who have connections that know and may not and should not go public with it. That all we know

Reaction Score
If Fudd feels ready to play, she doesn't have to be 100% to make a difference. Eight more points would have won four out of Connecticut's five losses.
Well, that's interesting thinking. However, you are assuming that each of those eight points would be replacing missed baskets and that's not realistic!

Reaction Score
If Fudd feels ready to play, she doesn't have to be 100% to make a difference. Eight more points would have won four out of Connecticut's five losses.
Paige wasn't 100% when she returned last year either, but helped us get to the Championship Game and keep our Final Four Streak intact.
Having seen one amazing historical streak ended regarding back to back losses, I hope we don't lose another one for the Final four streak, but many things are stacked against us.

I think there are three keys to making the Final Four again. One is getting Azzi back, and at least at a pretty high level. Another has to do with Caroline. Yes she is back, but if it is this year's version of Caroline vs. lasts year's it may not make enough of a difference. Remember she was a pretty mediocre player before the concussion this year, apparently having more challenges recovering from the offseason hip surgery than we thought.

Now last year's Caroline would make a big difference on this team, but I don't know if we can expect that this year, but hopefully she will return as a star again next season.

The third component is Ayanna badly needs a statement game to lift Geno's confidence, and hers, enough that she is part of the big game rotation. If we get more perimeter scoring (Caroline & Azzi) I hope that Geno will be more comfortable using here at least on a limited basis. We can't beat really good teams with 6 players.

So what are the odds of all three of those things happening? Probably not very good, but hope springs eternal and I'm not giving up on Azzi being a factor this year, but the window is closing fast.

Reaction Score
I believe the team will go quite far if Caroline and Azzi can provide strong bench minutes. The starting 5 should be able to sustain 30 minutes each through the tournaments. That leaves 50 minutes to be covered by Caroline, Azzi, Amari, Yanna, and Ines.

Reaction Score
Uconn players play for national championships.

This year Azzi would have the most impact on that happening and, I think that she would love to help the team to achieve that, particularly the seniors, because this is their last chance.

The bottom line, of course, is only if she feels ready.

Also, if Stanford or SC were so much better than UConn, she should not come back. But UConn even without Caroline almost beat SC.

What a story it would be if, after all the injuries, UConn won the championship.

Reaction Score
Yes she is back, but if it is this year's version of Caroline vs. lasts year's it may not make enough of a difference. Remember she was a pretty mediocre player before the concussion this year, apparently having more challenges recovering from the offseason hip surgery than we thought.
I'm with you about Azzi, oldhuskie, and your overall post, and I'm certainly sorry to see Caroline struggle so much during the St. John's game.

Yet how quickly we forget! So Caroline was a 'pretty mediocre player' before her concussion absence? If that were the case, I'd love it if she could be just as mediocre during the Big East and NCAA tournaments. Caroline averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds per game in the five games before getting hurt, including a 19-point game vs. Marquette on Dec. 31.

Caroline's not the pure shooter Azzi is, but Geno knows how crucial Caroline's contributions can be if she finds her game in coming weeks.
Bring on that kind of mediocrity, please!;)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Cat:

would you be kind enough to explain your objection to my post?

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I am impressed with the fact that Azzi felt comfortable telling her coach that "I'll be ready when I'm ready." I have to believe that there are a lot of programs where a player would feel that she was taking her scholarship in her hands if she said something like that to her head coach.
I imagine that hypothetically, an athlete can look out for his or her own best interest if they have a good NIL package. Yes the scholarship money helps, but the athlete may not feel like they are at the mercy of the coach anymore (again, assuming the NIL package is good enough).

Reaction Score
You misunderstand the fatigue problem completely. It’s not the minutes tiring them out. It’s the insane travel schedule paired with close and hard games due to our best players being injured.
Personally, I think most of it is mental fatigue! They have basically spent most of the season playing in games where, not only do they know there’s no help, but also knowing that if even one of them gets in serious foul trouble or, even worse, fouls out, that is a loss! Couple that with the physical fatigue of facing increased physical play from teams that are attacking an obvious weakness (as they should) and you have what we are seeing on court. It’s one thing to be pushed to your limits physically. Most top athletes in really good shape can deal with that but when you start adding all this mental stress and worry it can become too much for anyone.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s just basketball, not life or death. Maybe it will be good for the team to get knock out of the tournament early, get an extended vacation and some rest before next season. The team will come back motivated, realizing that making the final four isn’t a given and requires a lot of hard work.
I have no idea IF or WHEN Azzi will return. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I don't look for, or anticipate when Azzi will return. She'll be back when I see her on the court in a game. I'm only concerned about the players that dress. THOSE are the players that will help us win games.

I know this will not be a popular take, and I may get some thumbs down, but IMO unless Azzi and Caroline Ducharme come back before the beginning of the tournament at 85% or better (preferably 95-100%), UConn may not make it beyond the 2nd weekend of play. I think UConn's fortunes lie on those two coming back, and playing to at least 80% or more of their potential for UConn to have a chance to win tournament games. UConn is in a weakened state right now, and will face some unranked at-large teams that could send them home. Normally, the first weekend of the tournament is nothing more than a "warm-up' for the next weekend for us. Not this year.

They just lost to another unranked team at home. The same kind of unranked team they could very easily draw in the tournament. Teams know that UConn is not the UConn of old right now. They know their two best players are injured and are not playing. Bad news travels fast. Teams don't fear UConn like they use to.

It's a harsh reality, but a true one. I'd love for this UConn team to emulate the "Phoenix", and rise out of the ashes of catastrophe (being down to 2 reserves players....a freshman/Bettencourt and a sophomore/DeBerry) stronger, smarter and more powerful than before, and win the tournament, but I don't see that happening. :(

I never want to be known as a "Doubting Thomas", but.........I've got to go by the old "eye test." Like pictures, the eyes don't lie. I'm hoping UConn can win these last two games, get some much needed rest, play well and win the Big East Tournament than begins in 6 days (Fri Mar 3), and go into the NCAAT on a roll. Keep hope alive, and let's see how far this team can go. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi will return this season whether it's in the Big East or NCAA tournament.

I don't understand the logic that Azzi won't return or shouldn't return. She has played too many games for a redshirt, has been healing for about a month and appears to be in the tail end of her recovery. I don't care if it's in the second round of the NCAA, if Azzi is healthy enough to play, she should. This team is running on frustration and fumes and she is biggest spark to ignite them the rest of the season.

Whether UConn is a 1 or 4 seed, whether they win the Big East tournament or get an at-large bid. The postseason is a certainty for this and I'm optimistic wherever they are.

Reaction Score
According to the best shooter on the planet, Fudd is the third best shooter on the planet. Do you think Connecticut couldn't score eight more points with Fudd than without?
I agree with your statement. If Fudd only scored 8 points in our last two losses, we would of won those games, and we would of beaten South Carolina too.

Reaction Score
Is there any evidence whatsoever that Geno...now, intends to give any meaningful minutes to the last named three?

When his philosophy in important games has always been to shorten the roster rather than expand...

I previously noted the NCAA's of 2011 where he played one sub, Lorin Dixon, had two youngsters on the bench...Laura Englen and Michala Johnson, neither of whom got off the bench until the last minute, not dissimilar to his methodology of this season.

What I neglected to mention in that post is that both of those young woman
went on to respectable college careers (in other programs)...not necessarily all-stars, but at least competent, useful performers.

Would not a few competent, useful performers be of great use, this season?

Edit: I mistakenly forgot that Heather Buck was also on that squad and played 5 minutes: sorry

Is there any evidence whatsoever that Geno...now, intends to give any meaningful minutes to the last named three?

When his philosophy in important games has always been to shorten the roster rather than expand...

I previously noted the NCAA's of 2011 where he played one sub, Lorin Dixon, had two youngsters on the bench...Laura Englen and Michala Johnson, neither of whom got off the bench until the last minute, not dissimilar to his methodology of this season.

What I neglected to mention in that post is that both of those young woman
went on to respectable college careers (in other programs)...not necessarily all-stars, but at least competent, useful performers.

Would not a few competent, useful performers be of great use, this season?

Edit: I mistakenly forgot that Heather Buck was also on that squad and played 5 minutes: sorry
Your definition of "competent useful performers" is completely different than "Championship competent, useful performers." How many times have you seen transfers that were "competent, useful performers" flop when they go to other bigger/more successful schools?

A player that is a scorer for example may be pretty good at a school that is elated to just get into the NCAA, and/or maybe win a round. In comparison vs a team with title aspirations projected to lose maximum two games a year, if that. Then this scorer who is not as good as other scorers on the elite team has to be productive in other things such as becoming a better passer or defender or rebounder etc. What if she can't? You are going to play her anyway? So yeah these great kids went on to other schools but it doesn't mean that they would then have been a success/competent at UCONN vs their other teammates. At a school that doesn't win nearly as much that player can have several games in which she goes 5-14 vs other non-title contending teams. Prior to UCONN's rash of injuries, that has been/is rarely the case at UCONN.

Reaction Score
According to the best shooter on the planet, Fudd is the third best shooter on the planet. Do you think Connecticut couldn't score eight more points with Fudd than without?
You are missing the point entirely! And, you are now changing the scenario of your story. Now you are questioning if UConn couldn't score eight more points with Fudd than without her? That clearly wasn't your original statement. Regardless, Fudd would replace someone in the lineup. That someone (most likely Griffin) would have at least some scoring production. So if Fudd scored eight points, you would have to subtract the points that would have been scored by the player she replaced.

Reaction Score
This is likely to get a lot of thumbs done. First let me say we don't know anything about the situation with Azzi. We don't know if she's having any pain, how she feels after a workout, etc. There has to be a good reason why she is not playing.

But, if I was on a team that was really struggling and our star player said "I'll be ready when I'm ready" that would diminish that person in my eyes. Hopefully that statement was taken out of context or just poorly worded. Also hopefully the other players, who do know something about the situation agree with Azzi and are not miffed that she isn't playing. I have to assume that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom