Azzi update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Azzi update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
You know, I kinda like the way UConn has/is handling both CD & Azzi's availability. Not a lot of press releases, and the players participate in warmups when they are ready, and then play when they are ready. I don't need to know the how/when/why/what.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Don’t forget this young woman. There will be quality depth at guard next year.

THAT is precisely why I suggested that next year will be UConn's year based on who we have coming back, and who we have coming in. Compared to this year, next year should be as different as night and day. The issues and challenges (injuries) we are having this year SHOULD NOT manifest themselves again next year.

I expect it to be "business as usual" in Storrs ALL next year. :) I also expect (for what it's worth which is not much) for UConn to be the number one ranked team in Charlie Creme's way too early top 25 ranked teams in WCBB that he releases every April. I'm pulling for this team to play at or a little beyond its potential and leave everything on the floor. No injuries the rest of the way, especially any that carry over to next season. :cool:

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That’s exactly right. There are many knee injuries where a knee brace will not help at all. And even in the case of players returning from ACL injuries, a brace will only help avoid a relatively small number of re-injuries.
Yup. I have vintage DonJoy and Orthotec braces for YKW injury. I don't need them anymore. The ortho said both times, I'm fixing your knee so you don't need one, however he suggested I wear one for 6 months (ish) after rehab was done, partly for my confidence to get back on the soccer pitch and to protect me from other players that, um, didn't quite know how to stop. They can be cumbersome and awkward - I've bruised the inside of other knee from banging myself, and although I tried every under sleeve possible - neoprene, stretchy sock, etc, if the brace wasn't positioned exactly right, with exact amount of strap tightening, it never seemed comfortable.

For some college players now, it could be a combination of things. Saw some players from TN and other programs wearing similar braces. Some don't mind it, and wear it long after they might need, however it's definitely personal preference.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It might be Geno's "tongue-in-cheek" way of saying Azzi will be ready today or the first game of the BET, and she will light up the scoreboard in the first game she plays.

I believe she will play all of the tournament games this year.
ALL players (athletes) know when they are ready to return from injury and perform at (or very close to) the level they are used to.
They know. No one else can tell them. Not the medical staff, not the coaches, not their teammates, and certainly not the fans.

To me, if she comes back this year, great. If not, we'll look for her in November back and better than ever, ready to help lead this team to another national championship. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yup. I have vintage DonJoy and Orthotec braces for YKW injury. I don't need them anymore. The ortho said both times, I'm fixing your knee so you don't need one, however he suggested I wear one for 6 months (ish) after rehab was done, partly for my confidence to get back on the soccer pitch and to protect me from other players that, um, didn't quite know how to stop. They can be cumbersome and awkward - I've bruised the inside of other knee from banging myself, and although I tried every under sleeve possible - neoprene, stretchy sock, etc, if the brace wasn't positioned exactly right, with exact amount of strap tightening, it never seemed comfortable.

For some college players now, it could be a combination of things. Saw some players from TN and other programs wearing similar braces. Some don't mind it, and wear it long after they might need, however it's definitely personal preference.
Looking at the video of Azzi participating in pre-game warm-ups today she appears to be wearing some sort of brace under her sweats.

Reaction Score
Athletes who play at this level are rarely 100%
Let me put it this way. And I think this applies to Caroline as well. They should get back to a state where routine physicality or the general riggers of the sport don't cause concern for the player. When Caroline has fallen recently, she struggles to get to her feet. Why is that? I don't know. But it's not normal. Fans, and even Caroline, may be enjoying her return. The question is....is it worth it?

Reaction Score

How is Azzi doing? The answers continue this big tease. "We'll know when she knows," And other ambiguous responses. There IS an orthopedic reality, the specifics of all her injuries and operations and CAT SCANS, XRAYS etc., but we aren't privy to them, just these on going speculations. She, Buckets and Ice SHOULD all wait until next year when they are all fully recovered and rehabbed. Then we might take another look at Uconn's training protocols and come up with something better, specific to women's anatomy and basketball in Storrs Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Got a court side seat at the arena. Azzi is wearing a brace on her knee and doing full pregame drills.

Reaction Score
She’s not playing today but this is a great sign! This from Twitter.
7DC8D136-BAF8-470E-A151-9CB77FE55D97.jpeg

Reaction Score
How is Azzi doing? The answers continue this big tease. "We'll know when she knows," And other ambiguous responses. There IS an orthopedic reality, the specifics of all her injuries and operations and CAT SCANS, XRAYS etc., but we aren't privy to them, just these on going speculations. She, Buckets and Ice SHOULD all wait until next year when they are all fully recovered and rehabbed. Then we might take another look at Uconn's training protocols and come up with something better, specific to women's anatomy and basketball in Storrs Connecticut.
Why not rest the whole team for next year with this logic?

Reaction Score

My last post did post properly so I’m trying again.

This is a good sign. I’m hoping that Azzi will be back (and feeling good) for the start of the BE tourney. If she can get 2-3 games under her belt before the start of the NCAAT you never know what can happen. I seem to recall one Paige Bueckers leading us to the title game under similar circumstances. Let’s hope!

For now, I’m hoping Dorka can keep her hot start going against DePaul. Go Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom