Aubrey | The Boneyard

Aubrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone loves this kid and with good reason. Some expected her to lead team in scoring. Many wonder why she isn’t on the court more. The great athletic plays are matched by freshman mistakes. The mistakes interrupt game plans. She will learn in practice. We all praise Geno’s coaching—and the record shows his ability—so let’s assume he knows how to bring Aubrey along.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree that Aubrey will learn. She did some really nice things last night and she is most effective when she can simply attack the boards or drive hard to the basket. But against a really aggressive Wichita St defense, UConn needed to run disciplined offensive sets and there were times when Aubrey was clearly struggling to know where she needed to be on the court and what she needed to do. Once she figures things out she will be a longer, more athletic version of Gabby....

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree that Aubrey will learn. She did some really nice things last night and she is most effective when she can simply attack the boards or drive hard to the basket. But against a really aggressive Wichita St defense, UConn needed to run disciplined offensive sets and there were times when Aubrey was clearly struggling to know where she needed to be on the court and what she needed to do. Once she figures things out she will be a longer, more athletic version of Gabby....
Longer, yes, but more athletic????? I don't think so ..... maybe close to as athletic but Gabby could jump out of the gym as an undersized forward/center

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Longer, yes, but more athletic????? I don't think so ..... maybe close to as athletic but Gabby could jump out of the gym as an undersized forward/center
As an elite and almost Olympic high jumper, no one has Gabby's elevation. But Aubrey is quicker, faster, and overall, more athletic IMHO.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As an elite and almost Olympic high jumper, no one has Gabby's elevation. But Aubrey is quicker, faster, and overall, more athletic IMHO.
It’s close. Both were track stars. Gabby was an Olympic caliber high jumper. I guess I lean towards Aubrey based on her lightning quickness as well as some pretty impressive athletic hereditary with both her mom & dad.

Reaction Score
As one of Aubrey's admirers [from high school] i m disappointed that she has been unable to "get it together" at UConn, eh? Flashes of brilliance here-and-there, but nothing consistent.
Aubrey, IMHO, needs to add some stop-n-go to her game, like Chrystyn Williams. More deception. More finesse. Less straight line, more zig-zag.
Sandy Koufax didn't become a gr8 pitcher until he added a slooow change-up to his amazzzing fastball, isn't that so? Koufax added deception and unpredictability to his game which made him a star. Aubrey needs to do the same.

Reaction Score
Sandy Koufax didn't become a gr8 pitcher until he added a slooow change-up to his amazzzing fastball, isn't that so? Koufax added deception and unpredictability to his game which made him a star. Aubrey needs to do the same.

Koufax was a fastball-12:6 curveball pitcher. Did not rely on a change up. His performance jump came once he mastered control of his fastball.

Reaction Score
As one of Aubrey's admirers [from high school] i m disappointed that she has been unable to "get it together" at UConn, eh? Flashes of brilliance here-and-there, but nothing consistent.
Aubrey, IMHO, needs to add some stop-n-go to her game, like Chrystyn Williams. More deception. More finesse. Less straight line, more zig-zag.
Isn't this how every freshman's season goes at UConn? Even Stewie had an up and down first year.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I paid particular attention to Aubrey last night (I'm a big fan of hers), her 1st segment on the court it seemed if she going about 1/2 speed running up and down the court. Looked really off to me me.

It wasn’t lack of effort, She was experiencing a lot of Uncertainty of Action...

We have seen this at this time of the year a lot...

They are getting a lot of new stuff put to them in practice it shows up as hesitation...

She is a cerebral learner, needs to have a solid vision of the bigger picture before she is confident on executing her part of the smaller tasks...

She is also trying to be more under control, doing what the coaches ask...

She is experiencing growth as a team player...Breaking out of the simple run, jump, rebound and shoot...High School mind set needs to give way to college level read, react, it takes time...

But come mid-Feb watch this young woman start to make a bigger and bigger positive impact for the team...

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
It’s close. Both were track stars. Gabby was an Olympic caliber high jumper. I guess I lean towards Aubrey based on her lightning quickness as well as some pretty impressive athletic hereditary with both her mom & dad.

Want chime in that Gabby had Superior Balance, Body Control and Timing...This is what really differentiate s her from many others as well as a Competitor with a Tireless Work Ethic...Can’t Coach that...

No surprise if Aubrey develops the same way...She has a lot of desire and competitiveness and wants to contribute and excel...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Koufax was a fastball-12:6 curveball pitcher. Did not rely on a change up. His performance jump came once he mastered control of his fastball.
Sandy Koufax didn't become a great pitcher until he learned to throw the ball over the plate. From the start Sandy had overwhelming stuff, but when they were in Brooklyn he couldn't find the plate for the life of him. Suddenly he went to LA and loved the mound. That was the start. Then he learned not to over throw. Then he matured. But Sandy had that slow curve from the jump. In Brooklyn though it got to the plate on two bounces and a skid. Sandy also learned to take even more off the curve so that it was a blooper pitch/change up. 3-2 count, bases loaded, Mantle at the plate, 1963 World Series. Strikeout on the blooper.

Reaction Score
I posted before and shall again here: Aubrey is talented, quick hands, quick feet, leaps high, rebounds, defends, scores and attacks what she hasn't got is Division One experience. There is only one place to get that--in games. I like when Geno pulls a kid and either he or Christine coaches, teaches them on the side lines that proves to me and the kid she is worth the extra effort--Aubrey and Ania are worth it. \
Both Aubrey and Ania are basketball players with basketball instincts. Like Rome neither shall be built in a short time all that can be done until March is feed them and play them and teach them. Expect mistakes (actually from all 8)

Reaction Score
Want chime in that Gabby had Superior Balance, Body Control and Timing...This is what really differentiate s her from many others as well as a Competitor with a Tireless Work Ethic...Can’t Coach that...

No surprise if Aubrey develops the same way...She has a lot of desire and competitiveness and wants to contribute and excel...
All that became Gabby wasn't Gabby as a Frosh or some of the Soph year. She was player playing out of position early on. Funny how Freshmen/Sophs turn into Juniors/Senior and STARS. I dare say Work Ethic is one of the things CD and Geno does teach or more correctly, DEMAND.

Reaction Score
I posted before and shall again here: Aubrey is talented, quick hands, quick feet, leaps high, rebounds, defends, scores and attacks what she hasn't got is Division One experience. There is only one place to get that--in games. I like when Geno pulls a kid and either he or Christine coaches, teaches them on the side lines that proves to me and the kid she is worth the extra effort--Aubrey and Ania are worth it. \
Both Aubrey and Ania are basketball players with basketball instincts. Like Rome neither shall be built in a short time all that can be done until March is feed them and play them and teach them. Expect mistakes (actually from all 8)
Agree. Ania is obviously under better control and knows—most of the time, she’s young—where to be on the floor (just watch her switch off on defense). She has been open to cross court passes—the same ones she would make—but doesn’t get the ball as core four doesn’t have confidence she will make or even take the shot. Sometimes I think Geno needs to tell her you take three shots a quarter or take the bench. With Aubrey just sitting on bench next to CD and being told to watch where to go, getting in for a few minutes, then being pulled when she makes a mistake, and having it explained on the spot. Bottom line is we’ve got two good ones here.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Isn't this how every freshman's season goes at UConn? Even Stewie had an up and down first year.

All save one...

FC9A91D9-7069-4AAC-82E2-E4791E434200.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with you. She plays hard but at top speed. Once she learns how to control that look out.

Reaction Score
I recall Gabby's struggles her freshman year. Even in the championship game, she was in for a short while and quickly lost her way. Geno pulled her and had a nice chat and reassuring pat for her.

I seem to see Aubrey as a Gabby/Pheesa hybrid. She has that long stride and ability to get to the rim of Gabby combined with that "ball magnet" rebounding nearly like Pheesa. And she seems to have a quicker, deceptive first step than either!

Reaction Score
Sandy Koufax didn't become a great pitcher until he learned to throw the ball over the plate. From the start Sandy had overwhelming stuff, but when they were in Brooklyn he couldn't find the plate for the life of him. Suddenly he went to LA and loved the mound. That was the start. Then he learned not to over throw. Then he matured. But Sandy had that slow curve from the jump. In Brooklyn though it got to the plate on two bounces and a skid. Sandy also learned to take even more off the curve so that it was a blooper pitch/change up. 3-2 count, bases loaded, Mantle at the plate, 1963 World Series. Strikeout on the blooper.
Why you picking on Mickey lol?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Aubrey will ever match Gabby's passing skills and court vision, which greatly increased her value in UConn's system and were quite notable for a player who spent most of her time in the high and low posts. Those skills of course derived from Gabby's days as a point guard and combo-guard, which she was listed as when she came to UConn, compared to Aubrey who is relatively a newcomer to the game. Regardless, every player that leaves UConn leaves as a well rounded passer.

Aubrey is incredible in transition, is a nightmare on the defensive end, and has a nose for the ball. She simply embodies a lot of things that cannot be taught. I'll be really interested to see how Geno continues to utilize her (and for that matter, Mir McLean's) elite level of athleticism.

Reaction Score
Disagree, she is inexperienced at this level and especially so for the demands the Uconn system puts on a player, nothing more, nothing less. She had the freedom in high school to just play and her natural ability, athleticism and hard nosed play was able to dominate at that level. She will be more than fine, given the time to learn to blend and play within the system.

Reaction Score
I doubt we ever saw the Olympic caliber athlete Gabby after her major knee surgery(s)? Could easily have lost some quickness.

Reaction Score
Gabby in a class by herself as far as sheer athleticism goes. It won’t be close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom