Aubrey | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aubrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I feel I have to reiterate. Sandy Koufax did not become great until he took something off his fastball. Everything thereafter fell into place, like tumblers in a lock.

Reaction Score
When i watch Aubrey play she reminds me of Moriah. I think that's the most appropriate comparison to where Aubrey is today.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I feel I have to reiterate. Sandy Koufax did not become great until he took something off his fastball. Everything thereafter fell into place, like tumblers in a lock.

A lesson Mariah had to learn to great effect.

Reaction Score
Question that I think this thread is appropriate for: Mir McLean is also supposed to be incredibly athletic correct? If that’s the case, UConn will have two ultra-athletic guards/forwards/wings—whatever their titles end up being. Has UConn ever had two players that explosively athletic at the same time? It’s also my understanding Aaliyah Edwards is pretty athletic herself, too.
Maybe comparative to the early 2000s when there was Battle, Williams, Cash along with Taurasi and Bird....

Reaction Score
Athletic - physically active and strong; good at athletics/sports ... somewhat imprecise. So what do we mean when we say one is athletic or more athletic than someone else? Fast, strong, quick reflex, high leaping ability, high stamina ... so much to consider. To me, Aubrey is more than athletic and just hoping that she gets good at all aspects of basketball to the extent humanly possible. Willing to watch her blossom.

Reaction Score

Didn’t I say that earlier in this thread?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Kyla will probably start all our games and fulfill her role as a senior. I think the freshman Anna has nerves and this gives Anna a chance to see how the game is playing and be mentally ready to come in and make things happen. Too bad we didn't have someone last year to play that role for CW. I think she would have had a much better freshman year and we might have had a championship.
That is basically what Caroline Doty did as a RS Snr in 2012-13, with Mo typically coming in off the bench. But in order for Kyla to continue to fill that role, she needs to be a steady presence on the court. During this last game vs Wichita St, Kyla was a little shaky, particularly with her passing.

Reaction Score
Agree completely

Reaction Score
I agree. Similar to what I said in Post#7 - "Sandy Koufax didn't become a gr8 pitcher until he added a slooow change-up to his amazzzing fastball, isn't that so? Koufax added deception and unpredictability to his game which made him a star. Aubrey needs to do the same. "

Reaction Score
I’m not a UCONN fan , but I’ve grown to like Aubrey. She’s my favorite player on this team and I wish her nothing but success. I do believe she’s more athletic than gabby and more well rounded on the offensive end as well.

Reaction Score
I agree. Similar to what I said in Post#7 - "Sandy Koufax didn't become a gr8 pitcher until he added a slooow change-up to his amazzzing fastball, isn't that so? Koufax added deception and unpredictability to his game which made him a star. Aubrey needs to do the same. "

Gaining control over your fastball by not overthrowing and developing a third pitch (a change up) are two entirely different things. Koufax did the former, not the later. Again, he was a fastball-curveball pitcher and did not regularly rely on a change up. In other words, these posts were not similar to what you previously posted.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Gaining control over your fastball by not overthrowing and developing a third pitch (a change up) are two entirely different things. Koufax did the former, not the later. Again, he was a fastball-curveball pitcher and did not regularly rely on a change up. In other words, these posts were not similar to what you previously posted.

And none of that is pertinent to a discussion thread about Aubrey. Please drop the Baseball pitcher sub-thread.

Reaction Score
When i watch Aubrey play she reminds me of Moriah. I think that's the most appropriate comparison to where Aubrey is today.

I can't get out of my head how much Aubrey remimds me of Ashley Battle. In looks and body type.

Reaction Score
Also Kalana Greene. Aubrey is more athletic than both of them, however. Kalana and Ashley were both really good. But the upside on Aubrey is even higher I believe.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Also Kalana Greene. Aubrey is more athletic than both of them, however. Kalana and Ashley were both really good. But the upside on Aubrey is even higher I believe.
HA! I was ready to reply to your previous post with pretty much this. Aubrey's upside is tremendous.

Reaction Score
Aubrey has the longest stride when she runs. It doesn't even look like she is moving that fast.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe UConn fans are more satisfied with Aubrey's play so far than Tennessee is with Jordan's play this far. Aubrey plays more under control in my opinion and may possibly become a more complete player.

Reaction Score
I’m not a UCONN fan , but I’ve grown to like Aubrey. She’s my favorite player on this team and I wish her nothing but success. I do believe she’s more athletic than gabby and more well rounded on the offensive end as well.
Love Aubrey but she remains the typical UConn frosh. 20+ points one game, sits the next. Gabby was extremely consistent with what she did offensively. Didn't have every shot but unlikely to miss if under or near basket. If Aubrey proves to have near the offensive and defensive skills Gabby did, will be thrilled.

Reaction Score
Just thought I'd point out that after Sunday's game, Aubrey ranks 7th in minutes played on the UConn team.

However, she's 5th in scoring average (6.6 ppg). She's first on the team in steals per game (1.5). She's 4th in rebounds per game (4.6). And she's 3rd on the team in blocks (4). And she's 4th on the team in free throws made (18).

Of course, if we look at all of those metrics in terms of per 40 minutes, she would be second on the team in rebounds per 40 minutes. and easily first on the team in free throws made per.

Pretty impressive for a kid who's a freshman and getting in for less than 16 minutes per game!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Just thought I'd point out that after Sunday's game, Aubrey ranks 7th in minutes played on the UConn team.

However, she's 5th in scoring average (6.6 ppg). She's first on the team in steals per game (1.5). She's 4th in rebounds per game (4.6). And she's 3rd on the team in blocks (4). And she's 4th on the team in free throws made (18).

Of course, if we look at all of those metrics in terms of per 40 minutes, she would be second on the team in rebounds per 40 minutes. and easily first on the team in free throws made per.

Pretty impressive for a kid who's a freshman and getting in for less than 16 minutes per game!
Devil's Advocate: what are her turnover and fouls committed stats?
Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with her and believe she may be the next Gabby type Huskie, but it appears to me that she has a bit of trouble in deciding to attack the basket with the ball. She seems to try to do this when two or more players are between her and the hoop.
But the sky is the limit in all other facets of her game.

Reaction Score

Sometimes stats don’t tell the story. The question is how does the team function when she’s on the floor? Here’s why she rides bench.

Reaction Score
Devil's Advocate: what are her turnover and fouls committed stats?
Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with her and believe she may be the next Gabby type Huskie, but it appears to me that she has a bit of trouble in deciding to attack the basket with the ball. She seems to try to do this when two or more players are between her and the hoop.
But the sky is the limit in all other facets of her game.
It appears that she's 6th on the team in turnovers with 13, behind Makurat's 16. And she's 5th on the team in personal fouls committed with 9, tied with Crystal, and better than Makurat's 16 (yes, same number for Anna for turnovers and personal fouls).

So it doesn't appear that her fouls and turnovers are egregious.

Just FYI, Kyla Irwin has the fewest turnovers on the team, except for Molly Bent, who was on the floor half the minutes. And she's committed the fewest personal fouls (5). We're leaving out Adebayo...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Had me fooled...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc