Article on Va Tech's efforts to retain attendance | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Article on Va Tech's efforts to retain attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
WTNH didn't have the game? Because everything I've seen said it did have it. Or your cable company screwed up somehow (which strikes me as more likely). The game was available on either local ABC or ESPN2 in basically the entire country. So to trash the program because your TV provider screwed up is immature if not irresponsible.

WTNH and ESPN had it screwed up and didn't get if fixed for a while.

Reaction Score
Here's another idea. Wouldn't it be cool to buy a ticket to see the postgame press conferences? And maybe have cocktails and/or beers afterwards?

LMAO - think about how that would have worked out early last year... They would have had to put PP behind glass.

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
WTNH didn't have the game? Because everything I've seen said it did have it. Or your cable company screwed up somehow (which strikes me as more likely). The game was available on either local ABC or ESPN2 in basically the entire country. So to trash the program because your TV provider screwed up is immature if not irresponsible.

They didn't. As has been well documented. And I'm not trashing the program (let's put words in my mouth - I hope you are better than that).

I'm saying that the ease of watching UCONN on TV isn't what is keeping people from the stadium. Because on many occasions it isn't easy, if damn near impossible. Hence the myriad threads on this board about it.

There have been a seasons worth of games over the last 3-4 years that have only been available on ESPN3, which your average citizen has no idea how to access. That is embarrassing in a home state.

The WBB games were always on CPTV. Even grandmothers could find that.

Reaction Score
Since you were out of town you may not have realized that neither ABC or ESPN2 had the UConn game, for most of the first half on, here and around the country (in some parts) It was multiple cable outlets so Disney screwed up.

Some say they heard the stadium looked so bad at kick off it was intentional.

O.k., didn't know that. Watched on Espn2 for 3 quarters and then the 4th on espn watch. But why does an engineer at Disney or WTNH screwing up give a fan to trash our exposure on what was a nationally televised gAme?

Reaction Score
They didn't. As has been well documented. And I'm not trashing the program (let's put words in my mouth - I hope you are better than that).

I'm saying that the ease of watching UCONN on TV isn't what is keeping people from the stadium. Because on many occasions it isn't easy, if damn near impossible. Hence the myriad threads on this board about it.

There have been a seasons worth of games over the last 3-4 years that have only been available on ESPN3, which your average citizen has no idea how to access. That is embarrassing in a home state.

The WBB games were always on CPTV. Even grandmothers could find that.

I reread your post. I don't think my interpretation of what you were getting at is unfair given the context of the thread and what you wrote, but if it's not what you meant so be it. I don't think this was a huge deal

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
O.k., didn't know that. Watched on Espn2 for 3 quarters and then the 4th on espn watch. But why does an engineer at Disney or WTNH screwing up give a fan to trash our exposure on what was a nationally televised gAme?

Sigh. Clearly you are having a bad day. Maybe you could read what I wrote in the context of the discussion being had (i.e. People not coming to the game because they like to stay home and watch on big screen TVs).

Or you can make up that I'm trashing the entire program. Up to you. I expect that nonsense from other people.

It could have been on every channel in every state and I would have made the same comment. It wasn't on in CT, until it was, by which time nobody that wasn't on the BY was even looking for it anymore.

My overarching point is that TV isn't keeping people from the stadium. Not in large numbers. That's my opinion. Debate that if you want but stop making up.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm beating this to death but...

I go to virtually every home game and 1-3 road games a year.

50pct of the games I don't go to I've had to watch on my iPad or computer because they weren't on actual television since ESPN3 came on the scene.

Maybe all of the home games ARE on TV but since I'm in the stadium it doesn't matter to me.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I am usually at a D1 game every weekend. Be it at WVU or tOSU or my Huskies it is always better live than on tv. Usually the fan interaction is what makes it for me. tOSu is a totally different animal because of the way it is ingrained as a way of life. WVU is just plain fun because of the true passion of their fanbase. Uconn is my states home team and I support them even though my kids chose not to go there. I always make at least one away game and never missed a bowl game. I always wear husky gear and this is what makes it so memorable. Opposing fans love to engage me because most have never met a husky fan walking thru their tailgates. I have never had a problem at any of these games.Our fan base acts more like a pro than college base but this is the cross we bear. I got called out this week on boneyard for not knowing that Boyle was already put in. I went up to get a beer during that series so I missed it. I guess that makes me a bad fan, and not believing it. We need all the fans we can get and lets stop acting like cannibals.

Just curious which D1 game are you going to this week?

Agreed the UConn fan base acts more pro than college - I was horrified the first time I heard so many people berating Zach Frasier openly at the top of their lungs - things I am not allowed to type due to filter. (Zach you ...., Frasier you ....) I never call out by individual at a college game unless its a coach!! Players arent paid and are representing the University - I dont believe they need to be called out in such a manner.

If you sat in 130 Saturday and I called you out on the BY I did so because that was classic UConn fan interaction. If that was you, you SCREAMED out 'lets see Boyle' as he just finished trotting to the sidelines on his 3 an out - and then you told me you didnt believe me - funny stuff. If you missed it for a beer I understand - I like a beverage as well. In the future I will be more than happy to fill you in on what you missed next time before you call out for a new QB - especially as the starter was actually in a groove. If not you - carry on and GO TEAM!!

Have fun this weekend!

Reaction Score
Actually the most of the 1st half was not on Channel 8 or ESPN2 in this area. Apparently a "technical glitch" somewhere brought Connecticut the Ohio St-Kent St game. I think ESPN switched around mid-way through the 2nd quarter and Channel 8 picked up UConn somewhere around the end of the 1st half. This was on the network not the local affiliate or the any cable provider apparently.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You missed the point....

What's to miss? You said "a couple of younger guys (mid-late 20s I'd guess) sat next to us at the Boise game, they were well behaved but drank steadily through the entire game. They had, by my count, 4 beers each - $32 worth at least."

Reminds me of that old George Carlin bit while he was doing the news, "A man barricaded himself inside his house yesterday. However, he was unarmed and nobody paid any attention."

Reaction Score
What's to miss? You said "a couple of younger guys (mid-late 20s I'd guess) sat next to us at the Boise game, they were well behaved but drank steadily through the entire game. They had, by my count, 4 beers each - $32 worth at least."

Reminds me of that old George Carlin bit while he was doing the news, "A man barricaded himself inside his house yesterday. However, he was unarmed and nobody paid any attention."

I was talking with the other fellow about the COST of beer, and this being an illustration of people spending, what is to me, serious money on overpriced beer....

Reaction Score
Sigh. Clearly you are having a bad day. Maybe you could read what I wrote in the context of the discussion being had (i.e. People not coming to the game because they like to stay home and watch on big screen TVs).

Or you can make up that I'm trashing the entire program. Up to you. I expect that nonsense from other people.

It could have been on every channel in every state and I would have made the same comment. It wasn't on in CT, until it was, by which time nobody that wasn't on the BY was even looking for it anymore.

My overarching point is that TV isn't keeping people from the stadium. Not in large numbers. That's my opinion. Debate that if you want but stop making up.
Here's the thing...UConn's the specific contributors to attendance problem aren't the same as VaTech's attendance problems or Michigan's attendance problem (Michigan's is with students which could be a bigger issue in a few years), but overall attendance at college football was down something like 4% nationally including at places that don't typically have down years like the Michigan's and Alabamas of the world. UConn is trying to build attendance in the context of an overall system which is seeing shrinking attendance at live sporting events. And many of the problems that contribute to shrinking attendance elsewhere make it difficult to build ours when we are coming off 3 losing years, lack of history and resulting long-time fans, and all the other negatives affecting the program like conference re-alignment. Even if we fix all the UConn specific problems,and wins will be a huge help with that, we still have to deal with the universal issues that are affecting the sport like game times, tv, the stadium experience, and the like.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was talking with the other fellow about the COST of beer, and this being an illustration of people spending, what is to me, serious money on overpriced beer....

I see it now, yup, I missed the thread on this one.

Reaction Score
Lower the prices for seats. The demand for college football is not what it used to be. The NFL has taken over in popularity. Big time. The only way to reinvigorate the college game is fill stadiums. That starts with pricing.

If the bleacher seats were $15, the place would have no problem getting solid crowds for the whole season.

Reaction Score
Butch said:
Lower the prices for seats. The demand for college football is not what it used to be. The NFL has taken over in popularity. Big time. The only way to reinvigorate the college game is fill stadiums. That starts with pricing. If the bleacher seats were $15, the place would have no problem getting solid crowds for the whole season.

I have said this repeatedly but I don't think that's true. Right now people don't care. Minor league baseball is really cheap in Bridgeport and the place is half empty most of the time.

Reaction Score
I have said this repeatedly but I don't think that's true. Right now people don't care. Minor league baseball is really cheap in Bridgeport and the place is half empty most of the time.

might help to make the concessions more reasonable too - kids want to eat at games.

Reaction Score
John said:
might help to make the concessions more reasonable too - kids want to eat at games.

That's a big issue. Most adults do the tailgates. But my kids don't eat most tailgate food. Even now costs me 25/game and I don't eat inside.

Reaction Score
That's a big issue. Most adults do the tailgates. But my kids don't eat most tailgate food. Even now costs me 25/game and I don't eat inside.

I know with my kids, it's very hard for them to sit at a game for 3 hours and not get a hankering for food, even if they have eaten at the tailgate. I think to kids, eating concession food is part of the experience no matter what the sport.

edit: just had an idea - it might be nice for UConn to put together a "Husky tray" of kids foods for a reasonable price. Like a kid's meal type of thing. Only available to under 12, etc. $5 or $6 bucks and it includes a dog or burger, chips and juice box.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FBS college football is far more attractive than the Atlantic League!

Reaction Score
I know with my kids, it's very hard for them to sit at a game for 3 hours and not get a hankering for food, even if they have eaten at the tailgate. I think to kids, eating concession food is part of the experience no matter what the sport.

edit: just had an idea - it might be nice for UConn to put together a "Husky tray" of kids foods for a reasonable price. Like a kid's meal type of thing. Only available to under 12, etc. $5 or $6 bucks and it includes a dog or burger, chips and juice box.

Gotta have nuggets/fries. That's all my youngest eats.

Reaction Score
Today, you need to overcome the feeling of being inconvenienced. More so with students living 20 miles away.

Reaction Score
Live events are experiential which give them the edge, provided there aren't barriers (cost, traffic, bird crap, etc.) that dilute the value of the experience. Having said that, networks are working hard to improve the experience on the flat screen, sometimes taking cues from the gaming industry. I opted to watch the Skycam version of the Louisville vs. Miami game and really felt that I was immersed into the game. I switched back to the network broadcast and thought it wasn't nearly as engaging. Technology will continue to improve the experience, enabling it to become much more interactive. In the future, schools will have to work harder to maintain the value of the game day experience. They can still win this battle, but they can't afford to sit on their hands.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If I drink inside the stadium, I'll have a Ten Penny, maybe two, but I can't see spending that sort of dough on in-stadium booze anymore...

You could make the argument that beer prices are what they are to discourage mass consumption and lower the concessionaire's liability.

In terms of other food, the food trucks pay rent to the concession contractor. The price has to cover fixed costs as well as variable. I do think it is unreasonable that concession prices at the XL Center and Rentschler are equivalent to Fenway or Yankee Stadium, where a portion of concession margin help offset players' salaries. There are no pro teams utilizing CT Venues (Wolfpack players are paid by the Rangers).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's a gambling/fantasy football thing. I would guess that Redzone isn't nearly that entertaining for a person that doesn't have action on the games and is principally a fan of one team.

Truer words have never been written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak