Article on Va Tech's efforts to retain attendance | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Article on Va Tech's efforts to retain attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm just too cheap to buy more than 1 beer inside. :)

I have never bought a beer inside the Rent and don't plan on ever buying a beer at the Rent.

Edit: Although I have purchased a $4 coffee on cold days.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn games are never really on actual TV anyway so that doesn't count for us.

There aren't enough people in this state that know how to use espn3 to fill the empty seats at the Rent. Just not enough people care.

Are you being facetious? Of our first five games, we've had one on local ABC (and ESPN2 most of the country), two more on ESPN2, one on a lesser ESPN network and one -- one -- against a FCS team -- on SNY and, outside the Northeast, ESPN3.

So can I ask you what the duck* you are talking about?

Reaction Score
Are you being facetious? Of our first five games, we've had one on local ABC (and ESPN2 most of the country), two more on ESPN2, one on a lesser ESPN network and one -- one -- against a FCS team -- on SNY and, outside the Northeast, ESPN3.

Bad day in Court???? LOL.....

Reaction Score
Bad day in Court???? LOL.....

Actually, a very good day. But at a time when everyone, with reason, is worried that perception is meaningful to our future, I have no patience for people who are actually fans trashing us for reasons that don't even exist. (Unless I've totally missed the point of the post, in which case I guess the answer would be yes, bad day.)

Reaction Score

This is without a doubt, the most important thing for this conference moving forward. We are going to be on TV. It's up to us what we make of it. We are the only game on TV this friday and we are on the mothership ESPN channel. 3 out of 4 games so far, have been national TV.

Let's go out and win one on national TV - how about it?

As for the rest of the discussion, until we have an attendance problem, and a winning football program at the same time - there is no problem to be identified, other than right now we are struggling to get people to the stadium to see a losing football team.

That is hardly an earth shattering problem. The UCONN fanbase is ridiculously strong. It's just diehards, about 25,000 of them, that are going to regularly buy tickets for a loser. Diehard fanbase is slow growth. Watch what happens if we're cracking the top 25 in football, then decide if there is an attendance problem, or anything really wrong with stadium.

Reaction Score
This is really a dynamite idea that has worked in other sports. Sporting KC did an analysis when they were designing their stadium. They studied which seats in MLS were the worst sellers. Turns out those seats are behind goal and in the corners. They made those seats general admission and charge 26 bucks for them with an annual membership fee of 20 dollars. They built a huge sports bar that only "members" with tickets to those seats can access. Which is great because people can party before and after the game.

As a result those areas are filled every game and it looks fantastic on TV because that is generally where the most hardcore fans tend to gravitate. It's hard to argue with 50 straight sellouts.

We talk a great deal about expanding the Rent, but maybe we would achieve more gains by expanding the amenities offered.
Sporting is really leading the way in innovative thinking around fan engagement. I beleive it was you, meyers7 or another "other football" fan who posted the WSJ or NYT article that mentioend Slive and SEC Prez's and AD's were speaking to Sporting about the things they're doing around fan engagement and the success they've had. Kudo's to Sporting for doing it, and kudo's to Slive for recognizing there's an issue and knowing that "more of the same" isn' tthe solution.

Reaction Score

I've only missed maybe 2 games at the Rent since it opened, but I have to say I was pretty pissed off that when I turned on the TV on Saturday, the following occurred:

1) WTNH, the New Haven (yes, CT) affiliate wasn't covering the game
2) The game was blacked out on ESPN2

Whereby, 99% of fans would have just said "F it" and watched something else.

I was able to get it on ESPN3, but ONLY because:

3) I use Uverse for phone/internet (which means I can get ESPN3 inside the house, but NOT outside the house because I don't have Uverse TV)
4) I have an Apple TV which allowed me to do #3 without having to stream it from my laptop (and btw I had to restart the app multiple times because it was glitchy)
5) I'm crazy enough to spend the time to try and figure it out

I try to watch all of the road games also, but the same ESPN3 B/S went on last year and prior.

So when I say that I don't think the reason people don't come to the rent because it is so easy to sit and watch at home? I just don't think that is a thing. I would venture to guess that most people that do watch UCONN football at home (when we are at home) put it on as background noise while they do other stuff, assuming nothing else is on.

Reaction Score
Said another way - if you can find me 10,000 passionate fans that are glued to their TVs for a solid 3 hours EVERY week to watch UCONN games, I'd be shocked.

Someone should be able to get ratings data for us, and I'm sure there are a lot of "eyeballs" watching, but my guess is that the overwhelming majority watch dispassionately and out of curiosity only.

I'm sure it isn't like it is for NFL games, where guys will invite a bunch of their guy friends over and revolve their whole day around watching the Giants game or something like that. I'm sure people also don't go out in a group to go to a bar JUST to watch a UCONN football game.

UCONN grads in my neighborhood, who have kids that play football, who go to at least one game a year, often see me when I get home and ask "who won?" Nobody cares.

Reaction Score
Sporting is really leading the way in innovative thinking around fan engagement. I beleive it was you, meyers7 or another "other football" fan who posted the WSJ or NYT article that mentioend Slive and SEC Prez's and AD's were speaking to Sporting about the things they're doing around fan engagement and the success they've had. Kudo's to Sporting for doing it, and kudo's to Slive for recognizing there's an issue and knowing that "more of the same" isn' tthe solution.

Here is a link to the consulting company Sporting established. Looks like Oklahoma State, the PAC-12, and the Utah Jazz have hired them.

http://www.sportinginnovations.com/journal/#All

Wall Street Journal Article:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-college-football-is-studying-major-league-soccer-1405556573

This is almost creepy, but I guess this could be incredibly useful in understanding the fanbase.

"Sporting KC's approach to accommodating younger fans goes beyond giving them fast Wi-Fi so they can use their smartphones. At a time when some colleges don't keep records on student attendance, Sporting KC collects data on everyone from season-ticket holders to single-game buyers through Sporting Innovations technology, which they offer to college clients. They now have close to 250,000 profiles of fans who have attended games, Heineman said, with information as detailed as when, where and how they bought tickets, what time they arrived at games and who they sat near."

Another aspect I found interesting is that when I made an online inquiry on season tickets, a rep followed up with me on the phone the same day. The waiting list is so long that I have virtually no hope of getting season tickets next year or the year after. But being on the waiting list entitles you to first dibs on mini-plans, the playoffs and when I want to go to a game I just contact her and I can get the best available tickets with a discount and no ticketmaster.

Reaction Score
Said another way - if you can find me 10,000 passionate fans that are glued to their TVs for a solid 3 hours EVERY week to watch UCONN games, I'd be shocked.

Someone should be able to get ratings data for us, and I'm sure there are a lot of "eyeballs" watching, but my guess is that the overwhelming majority watch dispassionately and out of curiosity only.

I'm sure it isn't like it is for NFL games, where guys will invite a bunch of their guy friends over and revolve their whole day around watching the Giants game or something like that. I'm sure people also don't go out in a group to go to a bar JUST to watch a UCONN football game.

UCONN grads in my neighborhood, who have kids that play football, who go to at least one game a year, often see me when I get home and ask "who won?" Nobody cares.

Apathy defined.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They had, by my count, 4 beers each - $32 worth at least. To each his own, but I do my drinking pre-game.

Four beers in 3 and half hours? My god, we gotta get these guys to AA.

Reaction Score

The national TV exposure, we've got is important for the big picture. No pun intended. Recruiting. Media exposure - nationally. These things are important to college football success. I agree with you, that we don't have a much a viewing audience. You don't need to look at ratings to know it. The people that are watching the games regularly, especially day games on Saturdays - the majority are all at the stadium already.

I would agree that the concept that we need to draw people away from the TV's to get to the stadium is just false, if that's what you're getting at it.

Your observation hit a key with me. I can't tell you how many times I was asked: Who won? It was a lot. on Satruday afternoon evening. Everybody knew UCONN was playing, some of them even know it was close late, 24-21 at one point, but they didn't know who actually won.

UCONN is a ridiculously strong brand and fanbase. It makes puny little schools like Syracuse and Boston College feel inadequate. My opinion, is that what has developed though, is that people simply aren't going to go, I think, if they don't really expect to win. A few years ago, I can say for basketball at least, and also football to a extent, it was a surprise for many casual people, to even realize that the arenas weren't sold out, and tickets were available. most of the casual UCONN fans, I know, assumed that everything was sold out regularly. That was a few years ago now though. That has definitely changed.

When we won regularly, when we were at that 8-5, 9-4 level, for multiple seasons (oh boy, does that look good now), we announced regular sell outs (announced - I know), but there was no attendance problem.

Until we have a winning program again, in conjunction with an attendance problem, this entire line of thought is manufactured problem, where no problem exists.

The problem now - is getting people to the venue to see a team, that does not regularly have expectations of winning - yet.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I disagree Carl. Winning is the key driver but not the only driver. Let's improve everything, not just the winning.

Reaction Score
I disagree Carl. Winning is the key driver but not the only driver. Let's improve everything, not just the winning.

Oh I agree, for sure. I just don't think it's a good idea to be creating problems, where none exists. It's the diehards, that are at the games week in and week out, that are going to identify the problems that need to be improved, and that should be happening regarding the facilities management.

As for ticket sales, and people in the seats at the games - the assumption around this entire line of thought, that I am saying I believe is false, is that the UCONN football fanbase needs to be built up. I don't believe that to be the case. I think the fanbase is there, they just need a reason to be engaged again, to the point of planning ahead, and buying tickets for games, and that happens when college football season is rolling around, that they are looking ahead to the possibility of winning a championship, and what games they want to go to along the way, and considering if they should just buy the season ticket package.......right now, they are out there, but they're just asking people like JMoney, and I, and you, and the rest of us diehards, if UCONN won, when they see us on a Saturday night.

Reaction Score
Oh I agree, for sure. I just don't think it's a good idea to be creating problems, where none exists. It's the diehards, that are at the games week in and week out, that are going to identify the problems that need to be improved, and that should be happening regarding the facilities management.

As for ticket sales, and people in the seats at the games - the assumption around this entire line of thought, that I am saying I believe is false, is that the UCONN football fanbase needs to be built up. I don't believe that to be the case. I think the fanbase is there, they just need a reason to be engaged again, to the point of planning ahead, and buying tickets for games, and that happens when college football season is rolling around, that they are looking ahead to the possibility of winning a championship, and what games they want to go to along the way, and considering if they should just buy the season ticket package..right now, they are out there, but they're just asking people like JMoney, and I, and you, and the rest of us diehards, if UCONN won, when they see us on a Saturday night.

Catering to diehards won't move the needle much. Those fans that are on the cusp of being diehards and the casual fans are the ones that need to be engaged.

Reaction Score
Actually, let me restate that. Diehards definitely should be engaged, but just winning isn't going to fill the rent again. Just look at our Men's Basketball team. That team wins like crazy and yet we have empty seats all the time in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Over the many years, I have brought dozens of friends to Rentschler for a UCONN football game. Of all the years, I have only one friend who does not to this day, rave about the experience. They all had a great time with the tailgating, and the atmosphere. Some have actually purchased season tickets, others have come back for single games, others only came to that one game. But all save one, have only positive memories of the event, even in loss. The one bad review, happened at the South Florida - UCONN snowglobe game in 2009. There was a woman, well actually several people, throughout the stadium that day vomited all over the place - we saw other spots, as we walked around, but that one woman was a disaster, and just sat there, vomiting over and over an entire section of the stadium way from us. Stunk like hell, and cleared out the whole area. Disgusting. I don't know if it was a combination of the cold, and food not cooked well enough, and too much alcohol on that day, but there was a lot of puke around.

I have never seen another slosh fest at football game, anywhere near that one, before or after. Every other review, from the casual attendee in my repertoire, has been glowing.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Over the many years, I have brought dozens of friends to Rentschler for a UCONN football game. Of all the years, I have only one friend who does not to this day, rave about the experience. They all had a great time with the tailgating, and the atmosphere. Some have actually purchased season tickets, others have come back for single games, others only came to that one game. But all save one, have only positive memories of the event, even in loss. The one bad review, happened at the South Florida - UCONN snowglobe game in 2009. There was a woman, well actually several people, throughout the stadium that day vomited all over the place - we saw other spots, as we walked around, but that one woman was a disaster, and just sat there, vomiting over and over an entire section of the stadium way from us. Stunk like hell, and cleared out the whole area. Disgusting. I don't know if it was a combination of the cold, and food not cooked well enough, and too much alcohol on that day, but there was a lot of puke around.

I have never seen another slosh fest at football game, anywhere near that one, before or after. Every other review, from the casual attendee in my repertoire, has been glowing.

I dont know her and maybe she had Entrovirus...but that was a fun game to be at.

My wife and buddies wife disappeared for 2nd and 3rd quarter -
Me: "where were you?'
Her: "In ladies room underneath heater"

they only drank pregame - pepermint schapps hot chocolate

Reaction Score
I've only missed maybe 2 games at the Rent since it opened, but I have to say I was pretty pissed off that when I turned on the TV on Saturday, the following occurred:

1) WTNH, the New Haven (yes, CT) affiliate wasn't covering the game
2) The game was blacked out on ESPN2

Whereby, 99% of fans would have just said "F it" and watched something else.

I was able to get it on ESPN3, but ONLY because:

3) I use Uverse for phone/internet (which means I can get ESPN3 inside the house, but NOT outside the house because I don't have Uverse TV)
4) I have an Apple TV which allowed me to do #3 without having to stream it from my laptop (and btw I had to restart the app multiple times because it was glitchy)
5) I'm crazy enough to spend the time to try and figure it out

I try to watch all of the road games also, but the same ESPN3 B/S went on last year and prior.

So when I say that I don't think the reason people don't come to the rent because it is so easy to sit and watch at home? I just don't think that is a thing. I would venture to guess that most people that do watch UCONN football at home (when we are at home) put it on as background noise while they do other stuff, assuming nothing else is on.

WTNH didn't have the game? Because everything I've seen said it did have it. Or your cable company screwed up somehow (which strikes me as more likely). The game was available on either local ABC or ESPN2 in basically the entire country. So to trash the program because your TV provider screwed up is immature if not irresponsible.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of you have kids and whatnot and I'm sorry that being wasted is ruining your gameday experience, but I have found that massive quantities of alcohol definitely help numb the pain of UConn football. But don't worry -- I don't usually swear in front of your kids. Usually.

Reaction Score
I dont know her and maybe she had Entrovirus...but that was a fun game to be at.

My wife and buddies wife disappeared for 2nd and 3rd quarter -
Me: "where were you?'
Her: "In ladies room underneath heater"

they only drank pregame - pepermint schapps hot chocolate

The puke was strong that day. It was a great game, and great win. Scott Lutrus was an animal on the field. I enjoyed myself, as soon as we cleared out of the odor radius.

Reaction Score
WTNH didn't have the game? Because everything I've seen said it did have it. Or your cable company screwed up somehow (which strikes me as more likely). The game was available on either local ABC or ESPN2 in basically the entire country. So to trash the program because your TV provider screwed up is immature if not irresponsible.

Since you were out of town you may not have realized that neither ABC or ESPN2 had the UConn game, for most of the first half on, here and around the country (in some parts) It was multiple cable outlets so Disney screwed up.

Some say they heard the stadium looked so bad at kick off it was intentional.

Reaction Score
I am usually at a D1 game every weekend. Be it at WVU or tOSU or my Huskies it is always better live than on tv. Usually the fan interaction is what makes it for me. tOSu is a totally different animal because of the way it is ingrained as a way of life. WVU is just plain fun because of the true passion of their fanbase. Uconn is my states home team and I support them even though my kids chose not to go there. I always make at least one away game and never missed a bowl game. I always wear husky gear and this is what makes it so memorable. Opposing fans love to engage me because most have never met a husky fan walking thru their tailgates. I have never had a problem at any of these games.Our fan base acts more like a pro than college base but this is the cross we bear. I got called out this week on boneyard for not knowing that Boyle was already put in. I went up to get a beer during that series so I missed it. I guess that makes me a bad fan, and not believing it. We need all the fans we can get and lets stop acting like cannibals.

Reaction Score
Neither ABC or ESPN2 had the UConn game, for most of the first half, here and around the country (in some parts.) It was multiple cable outlets so Disney screwed up.Some say they heard the stadium looked so bad at kick off it was intentional.

Not true in Boston. The ABC affiliate Channel 5 carried the game. I Tivo'd it since I was at the Rent and expected to see something else after all the chatter but our game was on from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom