Arkansas Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First of all, I'm glad UConn got to play this last-minute-scheduled game, even if it did result in a loss. UConn desperately needs minutes and reps after all the cancellations and pauses.

The result only confirms what many of us already knew, though perhaps some of us refrained, in varying degrees, from expressing it overtly: UConn is simply a lot more beatable, and a bit closer to ordinary than exceptional, than we've been accustomed to seeing in quite a few years. Last year we got our clock cleaned by three #1 seeds but, with a very light schedule otherwise, were not exposed in any other losses. Well, this was no #1 seed we lost to tonight. No hiding from it now.

As @vowelguy and others are pointing out, there are causes for optimism and hope to go with the requisite calls for soul-searching and self-flagellation.

I don't mean to pile on with his question, as I'm genuinely curious: When was the last time UConn gave up 31 in a quarter? Maybe in a Notre Dame game?

By all means, congrats are due to Arkansas for a great win, by any measure a historic one for their program. I appreciate Coach Neighbors for making this happen.

And so it goes.
Regarding your first point, I agree. I’ve said previously that this is basically last years team. The two best players, Dangerfield and Walker were swapped out for Bueckers and Westbrook. Pretty much a wash for now but of course Bueckers’ potential is much higher than either. Same weaknesses, defense on dribble drive is bad and very little interior defense against decent competition. And the 3 point shooting other than PB is not good enough.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
End of game doesn’t matter. EW still had a make able shot. Not sure things would’ve gone better with a few more seconds.

Evina's last second shot did not beat the buzzer so more time might have come in handy.

Reaction Score
Yeah.......................sure. It was the refs' fault.......................as always.
Apparently you didn't read what I said. I quoted (as good as I could) what was said in studio not what I necessarily believed. I did not blame the refs for the loss. The loss was on the team and hopefully will be a learning experience for all of them. Learning how the refs are calling the game is part of that.

Reaction Score
Disagree about Dungee... she’s a pro and will be a good one. Quick, aggressive and a good outside shot.
She worked so hard this offseason, she is in WAY better shape this year. Quickness, athleticism and stamina look a lot better.

Reaction Score
That’s absolutely nuts! Neither player gave us a 100 percent effort tonight. Obviously wasn’t a game for the Bigs. Especially when your perimeter players didn’t play well defensively

If anything use AE and ONO together and make one of the Arkansas guards have to play against a big in the post.
Don't blame Liv [or AE] .. blame the coaches for not developing an inside game with those two studs .. and what about UConn's vaunted motion offense, eh? Last year and this year, against the tough teams, the offense didn't work, and we had to go one-on-one just to get our shots off. Last year it was MW; this year it was Paige.

Reaction Score
Not sure you can blame Christyn for not taking a timeout.

According to Geno's postgame, he told his players if they got the rebound to try to PUSH the ball up the court if they had enough time.

Why? I don't know. They were going to get the rebound with less than 4 seconds. By giving his team that option, it explains why Christyn was indecisive.

That's just bad end of game management. The only option playing that last defensive possession out was to get the rebound and immediately call timeout to advance the ball and set up play.
It’s a non-conference regular season game. A loss isn’t the end of the world. I’m sure Geno and the team aren’t going to lose any sleep over this one. They put up 87 points, 95% of time that’s a win. Ya tip your hat to RKansas and move on. The sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Arkansas had UConn right where they wanted them the entire game. The match was definitely played at their pace which is HUGE mistake against a team like Arkansas that can match any team in the country point for point. To beat Arkansas you need transition and a dominating post game. You have to demoralize and frustrate them. Make them play defense and those shots get harder to make. Going shot for shot is literally the worst thing you can do, and that's what UConn was doing. I thought UConn's freshman post player had the right mindset, just needed more from a few other players.

Arkansas is never a game I look forward to.

Dare I say that Arkansas scares me a little every time?

Every time since Dungee absolutely torched South Carolina twice two years ago.

You are right that UCONN absolutely did not want to get in a scoring contest with Arkansas and that's exactly what happened.

Let me say that I have loved Bueckers literally every time I've seen her play going back a couple of years. I did not want to buy into all the hype so soon, but lord she's a good basketball player.

Reaction Score
We committed 10 more fouls than Arkansas did. Can't stay on the floor if you are in foul trouble.
Nor can you play defense as aggressively as you normally do. Why, you may even allow someone to score 37 points under those conditions.

IOW, referees determine how fouls are being called. I hope people can also make the connection between fouls being called and the defensive performance of players and the team. We did not play well defensively. I will leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Paige “allowed to disappear for whole chunks of time” you must have watched a different game. UConn ran into a hot shooting team. It’s not that complicated, really.

What on earth more could you ask of Bueckers, a freshman who didn't practice this week, then her singlehandedly stopping Arkansas from running away with the game in the third and then damn near winning a lost game in the 4th?

They sent players at her all night and I'm not sure she made a mistake.

Reaction Score
Nor can you play defense as aggressively as you normally do. Why, you may even allow someone to score 37 points under those conditions.

IOW, referees determine how fouls are being called. I hope people can also make the connection between fouls being called and the defensive performance of players and the team. We did not play well defensively. I will leave it at that.
I’ll contend that RKansas just shot the ball really really well tonight. It reminds of the tournament game way way back where UConn lost to Iowa State.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What on earth more could you ask of Bueckers, a freshman who didn't practice this week, then her singlehandedly stopping Arkansas from running away with the game in the third and then damn near winning a lost game in the 4th?

They sent players at her all night and I'm not sure she made a mistake.

Doubt Paige came into UConn thinking she would be the best player on the team with the second best player coming back from multiple surgeries. Probably shocking and not inline with her pass first team building sensitivities.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe, but UConn actually outshot them, 55% to 51%.

It came down to one more three-pointer and two more free throws. Both teams made 33 shots, but 13 of Arkansas' were threes, compared to CT's 12. And Arkansas shot poorly from the FT line compared to what they've averaged over the season - nearly 20% worse than their average - but still made 11 throws compared to CT making 9. There's where the 3 extra points comes from....

Reaction Score
It’s a non-conference regular season game. A loss isn’t the end of the world. I’m sure Geno and the team aren’t going to lose any sleep over this one. They put up 87 points, 95% of time that’s a win. Ya tip your hat to RKansas and move on. The sun will rise in the East tomorrow.
And when that sun rises, UConn will still. Be in the NET rankings top 4

Reaction Score
Staiti sat on the bench most of the game. The coach did not play her much even in the second half.

And yet for her to still pull 20 pts and 13 rebounds, I don't think that really supports your argument in a way you'd like for it to.

But Staiti didn't actually sit "on the bench for most of the game" - she played over 31 minutes of it. Also had 5 blocks and 2 steals. She was a legitimate factor in that game....

Reaction Score
And when that sun rises, UConn will still. Be in the NET rankings top 4
Not overly concerned about rankings either. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that UConn will make the NCAA tournament, so rankings don’t much matter to me.

Reaction Score
Wow...did not expect that. Immediate thoughts:

-Chelsea Dungee is a beast! What a performance by her. Arkansas looked a little frazzled when they got down in the 2nd but she was so determined. Best game on both ends I've seen from her and she was the clear cut best player tonight. This should help her draft stock too. What a gamer.

-why did UCONN play zone for so much of the game? One of the bigger headscratchers I've seen from Geno. Arkansas was murdering them from deep and most were wide open looks from spreading the floor. It wasn't until midway through the third I believe that they switched to man, which was more effective but they couldn't stop Dungee.

-End game management was awful for UCONN. You're down 3 with like 34 seconds left, the opponent is 11-20 from the line, and you let them use the ENTIRE shot clock? By the time a timeout was called they didn't have time to set anything up. Even if they had 3-4 seconds, you're down three. Id much rather extend the game, put Arkansas on the line and let Paige create and shrink the lead. Really bad management there by Geno and great recognition by Neighbors to wait until the very last second.

-Bueckers is outstanding. Just give her the ball and let her create. She shoots extremely well off the dribble which is a rare trait in the women's game. Geno needs to tell her to just do her thing and have everyone else clear out. I think she's a better player than Dungee but Dungee played like a senior really wanting to win and that was the difference. Paige was more passive despite playing a great game. Once she switches that mentality to "I'm taking over" it's going to be lights out.

-Westbrook was excellent too. Outstanding shooting and good ball movement. She's really picked it up.

-Muhl had really good minutes. Played composed, hit shots, and played pesky defense.

-ONO with a no show. Not sure what's going on there, this was a game and match up that should've been tailor-made for her.

-Edwards looked like a freshman. Big upgrade from ONO in the first half but so many fouls. The last one was almost comical how she had JUST picked up her 4th, runs down court and immediately picks up her 5th for not being aware of where Arkansas was. With like 15 minutes left, too. She has the tools to be great but needs refinement and just more awareness to avoid those types of fouls. It's one thing if she's being aggressive and picking up fouls, but often times they are careless mistakes.

-I'm a believer in good and bad losses, but this is a bad loss. Arkansas is 2-5 in SEC play. They played well tonight but they've been a mediocre team much of the season. They just wanted it more and seemed a lot more focused and determined than UCONN, and I think Neighbors outcoached Geno this game.

Crazy thing is this is the first legit upset UCONN has had in almost 10 years. Every other loss since St John's was against a top 10 caliber team. Anyway, fun

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And yet for her to still pull 20 pts and 13 rebounds, I don't think that really supports your argument in a way you'd like for it to.

But Staiti didn't actually sit "on the bench for most of the game" - she played over 31 minutes of it. Also had 5 blocks and 2 steals. She was a legitimate factor in that game....

She played almost 17 minutes in the second half and all but 1 second of the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
I’ll contend that RKansas just shot the ball really really well tonight. It reminds of the tournament game way way back where UConn lost to Iowa State.
Of course they did, especially from 3. But many of the drives to basket were uncontested because the defenders were saddled with fouls. But either way, you still have to make the baskets, and Arkansas did. Lesser teams may have not. So the victory is deserved.

But fouls matter, beyond the obvious affect on the FT stat line. That is my point.

Reaction Score
I miss Moriah Jefferson, Gabby Williams, and Kia Nurse. There was no way Arkansas wins this game if we had a player that was as defensively capable or similar on the defensive end of the floor. Those three never allowed any one player to beat the team or at least score 37 points.

I look to forward to how they look on defense the next game. I’m sure Geno will address it.

Our two junior leaders are frustrating to watch at times and fade in the big moments. I’m not sure it clicks for them still at this point in their careers.

I was really impressed with the freshmen down the stretch. Paige is Paige. Mir and Nika gave really good minutes. Edwards can be really good if she can find a way to calm down and control the fouls. Evina continues to play like a veteran and leader should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom