Are Viewers Tuning out UConn Dynasty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are Viewers Tuning out UConn Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In my view, it's terribly shortsighted of Geno not to be scheduling UTenn and rebuilding that rivalry
Especially now that Notre Dame is apparently significantly weakened.

The result of the final was a foregone conclusion in the nations psyche.
And even though it was a reasonably competitive game (more due to Morgan's nerves than any special effort by the Iris),
The outcome was never really in doubt and for the nation the drama was limited.
It's hardly surprising that ratings were lacking.

I have been reminded regularly by Doggy and Ice of the horrific transgressions of Pat and the UTenn staff and administration and the reasons Geno has insisted on apologies before considering a renewal of the series.

But I am reminded of an essay by Deems Taylor, a much beloved writer and critic on music in the first half of the last century. In his piece entitled "The Monster." he described a ne'er-do-well, who cheated on his best friend, stole his wife, backstabbed everyone in sight, ran out on debts, was anti-Semitic…a real nice guy as our friend Ozzie used to say…

But Taylor goes on to say that none of this matter, doesn't matter at all, because the "Monster" was Richard Wagner and that his corpus of work excuses his bad behavior…is of no consequence compared to what we have been left.

My agreement is not exactly parallel, but related.

Interest in the game is on some levels, not increasing.
The finals of the National Championship should be suspenseful and have powerful story lines.
UConn will be a completely unmatchable powerhouse next year and maybe on into the future.
Playing UTenn regularly is a necessity, perhaps not for Geno, but for continued growth of the game we love.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In my view, it's terribly shortsighted of Geno not to be scheduling UTenn and rebuilding that rivalry

And even though it was a reasonably competiitive game (more due to Morgan's nerves than any special eftort by the Iris),
the outcome was never really in doubt and for the nation the drama was limited.
it;s hardly surprising that ratings were lacking.

I have been reminded regularly by Doggy and Ice of the horrific transgressions of Pat and the UTenn staff and administration and the reasons Geno has insisted on apologies before considering a renewal
You forget their unfounded attacks on Kib and other Boneyarders.

Reaction Score

And even though it was a reasonably competitive game (more due to Morgan's nerves than any special effort by the Iris),

I have been reminded regularly by Doggy and Ice of the horrific transgressions of Pat and the UTenn staff and administration and the reasons Geno has insisted on apologies before considering a renewal of the series.

But I am reminded of an essay by Deems Taylor, a much beloved writer and critic on music in the first half of the last century. In his piece entitled "The Monster." he described a ne'er-do-well, who cheated on his best friend, stole his wife, backstabbed everyone in sight, ran out on debts, was anti-Semitic…a real nice guy as our friend Ozzie used to say…

But Taylor goes on to say that none of this matter, doesn't matter at all, because the "Monster" was Richard Wagner and that his corpus of work excuses his bad behavior…is of no consequence compared to what we have been left.

The finals of the National Championship should be suspenseful and have powerful story lines.
UConn will be a completely unmatchable powerhouse next year and maybe on into the future.
Playing UTenn regularly is a necessity, perhaps not for Geno, but for continued growth of the game we love.
Yeah but Deems Taylor wasn't Italian. Ain't gonna happen.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UConn needs the Tennessee game more than Women's College Basketball does. At some point, recruits are going to be put off by the fact that UConn spends most of its schedule playing the Memphises and Southern Methodists of the world, while in the ACC they could play bigtime opponents. And ESPN will lose interest in televising UConn games if they consist mostly of 40-point blowouts. The list of Top 20 teams willing to play UConn gets smaller every year, and there is the lurking threat of a conspiracy by P5 conference teams to avoid playing UConn at all, to keep them off national television.

I could even imagine that at some point the P5 conferences would decide to hold their own Women's National Championship tournament during the same three weeks as the NCAA tournament. If that idea takes off, it would make the NCAA championship meaningless, and obviously UConn wouldn't be able to play in the other tournament.

The statute of limitations has expired on whatever happened in 2007 and before. UConn and Tennessee should agree to play without preconditions, because it is in the present interest (financial and otherwise) of both schools to do so.

Reaction Score
UConn needs the Tennessee game more than Women's College Basketball does. At some point, recruits are going to be put off by the fact that UConn spends most of its schedule playing the Memphises and Southern Methodists of the world, while in the ACC they could play bigtime opponents. And ESPN will lose interest in televising UConn games if they consist mostly of 40-point blowouts. The list of Top 20 teams willing to play UConn gets smaller every year, and there is the lurking threat of a conspiracy by P5 conference teams to avoid playing UConn at all, to keep them off national television.

I could even imagine that at some point the P5 conferences would decide to hold their own Women's National Championship tournament during the same three weeks as the NCAA tournament. If that idea takes off, it would make the NCAA championship meaningless, and obviously UConn wouldn't be able to play in the other tournament.

The statute of limitations has expired on whatever happened in 2007 and before. UConn and Tennessee should agree to play without preconditions, because it is in the present interest (financial and otherwise) of both schools to do so.

I agree, except not in our lifetime:)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You are absolutely right. I mean UConn has done so poorly since game the was cancelled. We have really disappeared from the national consciousness. We can't recruit competitively anymore and can't compete at the national level. :rolleyes:

Look even if we play again it wouldn't be the same. Pat is gone and UConn has passed Tennessee. Notre Dame is now our closest rival, who by the way has also passed Tennessee. If Tennessee can rebuild, and they are moving in the right direction, we'll play again. If not, well things change.

Reaction Score

What ??? Where did you come up with this "idea" ? Also, tell me, when is "at some point" please ?
And this "The list of Top 20 teams willing to play UConn gets smaller every year". We play USCe and Texas next year and they aren't traditional opponents for us. The only top 20 teams that we can't play in our OOC schedule the next few years is Tennessee. Baylor dropped most of their tough OOC teams because Mulkey didn't want to get run over but with their upgraded recruiting I would not be surprised to see them on our schedule in the near future.
Who in the top 20, besides Tennessee, will not play us ?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What ??? Where did you come up with this "idea" ? Also, tell me, when is "at some point" please ?
And this "The list of Top 20 teams willing to play UConn gets smaller every year". We play USCe and Texas next year and they aren't traditional opponents for us. The only top 20 teams that we can't play in our OOC schedule the next few years is Tennessee. Baylor dropped most of their tough OOC teams because Mulkey didn't want to get run over but with their upgraded recruiting I would not be surprised to see them on our schedule in the near future.
Let's see. I can think immediately of Maryland, Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, and Baylor. Stanford is ducking UConn next year, although they will be on the schedule the following year. Rutgers could be added to the list, although they were in and out of the Top 25 during the year. North Carolina, Arizona State, Texas A&M (temporarily out of the Top 25, to be sure), Syracuse, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Ohio State are teams that UConn has played in the past, but there is no sign of them returning to the schedule. Stewie's homecoming game next year will be against Colgate because Syracuse would not schedule UConn on its home court. I believe I heard that inquiries were made about playing Iowa, but they did not step up to the plate. I don't know whether Princeton would be interested or not.

When Geno schedules teams like Creighton and UC-Davis on the out-of-conference schedule, it can only be because stronger opponents were unwilling to play against his team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let's see. I can think immediately of Maryland, Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, and Baylor. Stanford is ducking UConn next year, although they will be on the schedule the following year. Rutgers could be added to the list, although they were in and out of the Top 25 during the year. North Carolina, Arizona State, Texas A&M (temporarily out of the Top 25, to be sure), Syracuse, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Ohio State are teams that UConn has played in the past, but there is no sign of them returning to the schedule. Stewie's homecoming game next year will be against Colgate because Syracuse would not schedule UConn on its home court. I believe I heard that inquiries were made about playing Iowa, but they did not step up to the plate. I don't know whether Princeton would be interested or not.

When Geno schedules teams like Creighton and UC-Davis on the out-of-conference schedule, it can only be because stronger opponents were unwilling to play against his team.
Stronger opponents in the areas he wants to schedule as homecoming games for team members.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Maybe the world just hates Connecticut. On the men's side, Duke vs. Wisconsin this year drew 33% higher ratings than UConn vs. Kentucky last year.

Reaction Score

There are so many more things that go into scheduling than "we don't want to play UConn" or "we won't play UConn and thus weaken their OOC schedule and thus weaken UConn's chances at a title" (has that worked?).

Obviously, it's a little different (and the neutral site considerations and the money is a lot different), but I recall the trio of articles written by Andy Katz, Myron Medcalf, and Eamonn Brennan in 2012 for ESPN on the many contingencies of scheduling: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...nconference-scheduling-men-college-basketball, http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ilosophy-nonconference-scheduling-complicated, http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...5/hey-realignment-leave-these-rivalries-alone. Being in the recent aftermath (or potentially the continued era) of conference realignment makes it even more unstable. Wish ESPNW would do a version for WBB...

Syracuse seems an exception to general practices of scheduling (or at least in Hillsman's transparency): i.e. the refusal to play a home-and-home due to potential encroachment upon recruiting territory. This seems odd, to me at least, especially with the current recruiting reach of UConn (we are in the post-Moriah Jefferson coming to UConn from Texas era, after all, as well as the (letter of intent pending) post-Crystal Dangerfield from Tennessee), and the traveling options and game-watching options of potential recruits these days. Maybe the Breanna Stewart feelings are still fresh for Syracuse...

Tennessee, of course, is also an exception to the general practices of scheduling.

The others rotate in and out of series for any number of reasons (including pure reasons of rotation, i.e. "we have played this series for 2/4/8 seasons, it's time for something new" or we agreed to 4 seasons ahead of time and renewal never came up in conversation) that, I would imagine, have little to do with manipulation, grudges, or attempts to weaken UConn's OOC. And remember it's all in balance with, and/or in deference to, one's conference scheduling. After all, OOC scheduling (unless you are a mid-major) is a mixture of art and science. I doubt UConn/Geno wants to open 2015-2016 with nine OOC games against Baylor, South Carolina, Maryland, Notre Dame, Florida State, Louisville, Arizona State, North Carolina, and Iowa....even if they/he could.

Reaction Score

It could also be partly because Geno recognizes that playing UConn is a boon to those schools' programs, and Geno wants to see WCBB as a whole grow.

Reaction Score

You would make a good announcer. See something you don't like, blame it on somebody's nerves.

Reaction Score

Maryland, Louisville, Duke, and Baylor may just be rotating UConn out of their schedule, only time will tell if they are refusing to play the Huskies. When did Kentucky start ducking UConn ? Were they ever on UConn's OOC schedule ?
Stanford is certainly not ducking UConn since they will play them the following year which will make 9 out of the last 10 years that they will be on UConn's OOC schedule. You have a list of 7 teams "North Carolina, Arizona State, Texas A&M, Syracuse, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Ohio State" that we have played in the past. 4 of them (highlighted) did not finish last season in the top 25. Are you really disappointed that they don't have Georgia Tech on their schedule ?

"When Geno schedules teams like Creighton and UC-Davis on the out-of-conference schedule, it can only be because stronger opponents were unwilling to play against his team"
Here are the first 9 games that we played 5 years ago in the 2009-2010 season
12/20/09 Gampel Pavilion (Storrs, Conn.) UCONN 90, IONA 35
12/10/09 XL Center (Hartford, Conn.) UCONN 80, HARTFORD 45
12/03/09 Gampel Pavilion (Storrs, Conn.) UCONN 84, VERMONT 42
11/29/09 Gampel Pavilion (Storrs, Conn.) UCONN 87, CLEMSON 48
11/28/09 Gampel Pavilion (Storrs, Conn.) UCONN 86, RICHMOND 37
11/27/09 Gampel Pavilion (Storrs, Conn.) UCONN 91, HOFSTRA 46
11/20/09 DCU Center (Worcester, Mass.) UCONN 87, Holy Cross 34
11/17/09 AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX UCONN 83, Texas 58
11/14/09 Gampel Pavilion (Storrs, Conn.) UCONN 105, N'Eastern 35
It wasn't like the OOC schedule had only top 20 opponents 5 years ago. Were teams ducking UConn then ?
If Geno can't arrange to play all the top teams he would like to play in their OOC schedule, does that automatically mean that teams are ducking him or could it be just a scheduling problem ?

"The list of Top 20 teams willing to play UConn gets smaller every year" Can you tell me when this started ?

"At some point, recruits are going to be put off by the fact that UConn spends most of its schedule playing the Memphises and Southern Methodists of the world" When will that "some point" will be ? It certainly isn't the near future.

"there is the lurking threat of a conspiracy by P5 conference teams to avoid playing UConn at all, to keep them off national television.
I could even imagine that at some point the P5 conferences would decide to hold their own Women's National Championship tournament during the same three weeks as the NCAA tournament. If that idea takes off, it would make the NCAA championship meaningless, and obviously UConn wouldn't be able to play in the other tournament."

Did USCe, Texas, LSU etc. not get the conspiracy memo ? They are all P5 non traditional foes of UConn who have been added to the Huskie OOC schedule.
Even in football (where what the P5 conferences say, goes) non P5 teams are eligible to participate in the playoff system. Why would it be different in women's basketball ?
I'm sorry, I find the overall tone of your post over the top doom and gloom.

spacer-black.gif

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think shes quite aware, I heard her, Mercedes, and Jannah are the ones most anxious to have a shot at UCONN

make-it-so-captain.jpg

Some fans don't want a UConn-Tenn matchup because of the inevitable circus that will follow. I think it would help visibility of the game and introduce a potentially fresh rivalry. Rivalries are great for the game.

Reaction Score
Number of Top 25 teams played during OOC (total number of OOC games):

2001-2002: 5 (16)
2002-2003: 3 (13)
2003-2004: 2 (11)
2004-2005: 4 (11)
2005-2006: 3 (14)
2006-2007: 4 (13)
2007-2008: 4 (13)
2008-2009: 2 (14)
2009-2010: 6 (14)
2010-2011: 7 (14)
2011-2012: 5 (14)
2012-2013: 7 (14)
2013-2014: 6 (13)
2014-2015: 4 (12)

Maybe this year aside, I'm actually noticing an upwards trend, from about 2009-2010 on...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I don't know why you think it's teams not scheduling UConn rather than the other way around. Geno dropped North Carolina because the games were ridiculously lopsided even though Sylia Hatchell announced that she'd like to continue the series.

Syracuse won't schedule UConn as long as Breanna Stewart is there to deny her a home game. Maybe when they get over their snit at having been aced out of a key recruit, the teams might meet but if the Orange never appear on UConn's schedule I won't be crying any tears. Maybe Cornell wants a game, even if people do grumble about RPIs and weak schedules.

DePaul, UCLA, Notre Dame, Rutgers, South Carolina, Texas, Louisville are already set for future games and last I knew, there were negotiations with Tennessee killer UT-Chattanooga . That's a pretty good lineup.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To the OP's point -

I know lots of folks (mostly, but not all, Rutgers fans, some are AZ fans) who don't watch UConn blow-outs or games they perceive as likely UConn blow-outs. As someone above said, perhaps a different final opponent would have made a difference for some, but, um, you beat South Carolina handily during the season, as you did Notre Dame.

My feeling about the NC game was the "nothing to see here" feeling - with no rooting interest, I chalked it up as another UConn victory and didn't feel the need to watch.

I watched the Dayton game, for example, intending to turn it off but stayed with it because, even when the result was obvious, it was a very pleasant game to watch. But normally, if I am watching a Husky game, it goes off once the outcome is decided, which is often very early in the game. I know how UConn plays, I do think you get style points, but I've seen it and it is same old, same old for someone without the rooting interest.

As the article pointed out, incidentally, in the last paragraph, it is on other teams to improve to perhaps limit these blow-outs and make the games competitive. I actually am not bothered in the least by UConn winning National Championships, but the fact that even the best other teams usually get blown out in the process is very disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom