Are Viewers Tuning out UConn Dynasty | The Boneyard

Are Viewers Tuning out UConn Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Interesting (and dismaying) story about the ratings for the championship game.

Three of the five lowest rated title games have involved the Huskies in the last six years according to SMW’s data – 2015, 2013, and 2009 respectively.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
For UConn 3 of the 5 least watched and 4 of the 6 most watched, so it's a mixed bag. Actually I don't think it's that viewers don't want to see UConn win, they just don't want to see ND lose again, with its 4th runner-up in 5 years. Huskies need to see a fresh face in the NC game, or maybe they can agree to play the games with an arm held behind the back.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hey, had UConn-Tennessee happened, it would have drawn huge ratings, but the LVs couldn't close out the last eight minutes of the Spokane regional finals. Maybe the problem slo was those damn Irish pulling out a miracle win in the national semis after nearly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. UConn-South Carolina might have been well-rated as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Actually this was first National championship game that I watched from start to finish since the TAMU-ND game in 2011. In the past 15 years Ive only watched 3 title games from beginning to end... 2006, 2011, and 2015. The others Ive either skipped entirely.... or just watched bits and pieces.

Reaction Score
It'll make a great story line next..."Stewie, Mojeff, and Tuck going for an unprecedented 4th National Championship in a row....Diamond DeShields in her first season back since transferring to the once powerhouse Tenn LadyVols, whose in the championship game for the first time since 2008. Stewie and Co trying to cement UCONN's place in the history books and Diamond and Co trying to restore former glory to a once great program"
I can see the ESPN media machine having a field day with our storylines next season. But the question remains....can Tenn play good enough basketball to set this storyline in place???? We shall see next season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For UConn 3 of the 5 least watched and 4 of the 6 most watched, so it's a mixed bag. Actually I don't think it's that viewers don't want to see UConn win, they just don't want to see ND lose again, with its 4th runner-up in 5 years. Huskies need to see a fresh face in the NC game, or maybe they can agree to play the games with an arm held behind the back.
Exactly. UConn's a frequent enough participant that it would have some of the highest and some of the lowest ratings.

I don't think that UConn needs to apologize for excellence. Perhaps the rest of woman's basketball needs to apologize for not keeping pace.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think shes quite aware, I heard her, Mercedes, and Jannah are the ones most anxious to have a shot at UCONN
So where does Holly fit into to all this anxiousness to play UCONN? I'm pretty sure the players are not allowed to schedule thier own games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If only we could make it to play you all.
Well if you do, we'll be waiting. I think that bloom is a little off the rose though and will be more so each year that passes without Tennessee reaching the championship game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
AnotherVolFan - yes I can picture the circus too! Not sure I want it as it will be more about Pat and Geno and less about the actual game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the viewership - the reality is the peak and the valley for NC games is still pathetically small which suggests to me that outside influences play a larger part than the game itself. What other viewing choices are happening, what other family events on a Tuesday night, etc.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The good news is that there is no shortage of coaches and teans/programs that enjoy support of their school administration, are building their fan base, and recruiting energetically to emulate Geno/UConn.

In addition to perpetually solid programs like ND, Louisville, Baylot, and Stanford , there are some emerging or resurgent ones like South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and California. Maryland seems to have shifted into a new gear. And there are some dark horses out there, with energetic new coaches -- Texas, Ohio State, and Pitt come to mind. WCBB's future is bright because more and more contenders are willing to step up to the challenge of taking mighty UConn down. Someday. Somehow.

Reaction Score
So where does Holly fit into to all this anxiousness to play UCONN? I'm pretty sure the players are not allowed to schedule thier own games.
Well I think as far as "scheduling" a game, that wont happen. The only place we can meet will be in Indianapolis.

Reaction Score
AnotherVolFan - yes I can picture the circus too! Not sure I want it as it will be more about Pat and Geno and less about the actual game.
Of course, they'll have to play that part up a little. Im like you though, i just hope its not ALL about Pat amd Geno.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And of course there was that note about the nice semis ratings, and one of those games did involve UConn, so 2015 wasn't that bad a show. Makes you wonder what the ratings would have been like if USCar had hit the last shot against ND and set up a different NC tandem from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom