Are Geno's coaching methods outdated? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Are Geno's coaching methods outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've criticized Geno's offensive "scheme" for the past 5 years or so. IMO, the scheme is outdated and doesnt work with today's players. Superstar players like Paige & Stewart have "masked" some of the problems with the scheme, but now we are seeing its weaknesses.

Geno has always loved the finesse game (a-la Wooden), lots of passing, a systems approach, etc. But, fundamentally, it requires lots of coordinated passing & movement on the perimeter, constant cutting/screens, and the ball-handler having to "react" to what the defense is doing. It's hard! It requires fast players, high coordination, and fast decision-making - something the current players (outside of Paige) dont have. And, we can see that play out today. Everyone on the team (outside of Paige) looks confused. So, what ends up happening is the clock winds down and your left with an iso play - which usually means throwing up a 3-pointer or ill-advised shot or a turnover.

Another problem with this approach is your post players are also pulled out, forcing more of a perimeter game & less rebounding efficiency. I mean, why in the world do you want AE, Dorka and ONO playing on the perimeter & throwing up 3-pointers or perimeter shots?!?

Geno needs to "dumb it down" and have many more set plays. Keep your bigs down on the blocks, and play more inside-outside, rather than side-to-side perimeter. This will play to the players' current strengths, reduce anxiety since players know their roles, and have more consistency. Look at how GT played offense last night. We need to be doing more of that.

But, Geno is very stubborn, and from his comments last night, he expects players to adjust to his scheme versus making changes to how the offense is run. This will not end well.

Reaction Score
Geno and team will be fine. A bit of a shock to lose so many players at once. Players being asked to not just shuffle over one space in rotation but across multiple roles. Time to adjust and some players returning will settle things. We have received tremendous runs of success. We maybe need to learn to handle a little adversity with a bit more backbone. Loyalty is important to extend to team . Stop acting so entitled . The primary function of a team is to compete entertaining you is secondary!

Reaction Score
I wish I could agree with you but if you have watched this team over the years and heard Geno say, we don’t necessarily run A play but run a series of options off of that call.That way the opposing team cannot defense as if they say that play before. I am so tired of these posts he hasn’t won in 5 years, who in all this world won 11 of them. Other teams have copied his style and succeeded to some degree but cmon, when you lose one core player it’s tough, he has lost 3 and therefore will lose some he would have won. So be it.

Reaction Score
There was a play involving Dorka a game or 2 ago. She got a nice offensive rebound over a smaller player in the paint near the basket. Instead of going up and attacking 1-on-1 for a high % shot (or a foul), she literally dribbled out to the 3-point line and handed the ball to Paige. It was like she was following Geno's rules to a fault, instead of using her instinct and going up for a relatively easy put-back. I couldnt believe it.

Reaction Score
Last evening was NOT one of Geno's finest moments as a "COACH" at UCONN. In fact, it may well have been Geno's WORST moment as a Coach, both ON and OFF the court. Not only was his managemetn of his players on the court considered to be poor (and yes, the players need to execute, BUT Geno is responsible to prepare them best to be able to properly execute on the court, when called upon, and Geno, in my opinion, gets an "F" for that (that what he gets for playing his starters too long in games, as the bench doesn't get enough PT to help them out whenever they might be called upon to help. And NO ONE CARES that he say's Paige is a Pain in the Ass and doesn't want to come off the court, no matter what the score may be. "WHOSE THE COACH? GENO or PAIGE ??" - Then there is Geno's handling of the PRESS before and after the game. He needs to step up and tell the press and media that the team is going to put tonight's performance behind them, and they all have a positive outlook that "THE TEAM" will be more than capable of overcoming any loss of players and will execute plays on the court, to the best of everyone's ability and that HE and his coaching staff will be there 200% to ensure that each and every player get everything they need to properly execute when called upon, on the court AND that this team, NO MATTER WHO IS OUT ON THE COURT, is more than capable of capturing a National Championship. This team does NOT run through PAIGE BUECKERS. It runs thru GENO AURIEMMA and the Coaches and that this is a TEAM game, comprised of a great deal of Top 25 High School Selections. Every part should be easily inter-changable, and to say that they were down 5 players (6 if you want to count Saylor Poffenbarger transferring out), is just a LAME EXECUSE. Sorry folks, but GENO AURIEMMA IS "NOT" GOD !!!!

Reaction Score
But you do think the players coming into the program know the coaching style and they truly believe that they can take it, are happy being pushed and get better for it.

Unfortunately, not everyone really knows themselves at a young age and how they react under real pressure and competition and Geno does not seem able to find a softer approach when needed.

And from Geno's perspective, I remember Geno saying about Paige that she just has a feel for the game and that is god given. Some players never get a feel for the game and I suppose that can be true but then you need to simplify, simplify, simplify I suppose.,

What do I know. Just so frustrating and concerned about the future.
I would hope that the players coming into the program are aware of it, I'm pretty sure everyone who has ever heard UCONN alum talk about Geno's coaching would be aware of it. I just think maybe they think they can handle it but when you spend your whole life being coached as 'the best player on the team' it would be quite a reality shock going to college and having such a drastic change in terms of coaching styles

Reaction Score
Oh My Goodness... Really? You guys are acting as though Geno is clueless when in fact he has been telling us all along, without Paige's presence this team is lacking... And have been urging them to give her more help. Sure these kids all have skills, but so far none of them have proven they can step up consistantly to carry their teamates when one or two of them have an off game. It pains me to say but there is just no killer instinct in most of these kids so far, they are going through the motions like robots and expecting to win just because it is UConn..

In some ways Paige's ability to score has been bailing out this team and covering up these issues.. They all need to be more confident that they can score when their team needs a basket, with or without Paige being on the floor.

Don't get me wrong they are some coaching decisions that have left me scratching my head as well, for instance Last night with 2 minutes to go we are jacking up three's instead of going to the rim and at least trying to get fouled and or stop the clock, we basically took all the pressure of their team by settling for the 3 ball and coming up empty handed possesion after possesion. But what do I know.. :)

I only saw the ending of the game, so I have to rewatch to see how the entire game went
When I say coaching techniques I'm more referring to how hard he is on the players. Obviously in terms of basketball, nobody can deny he is a great coach (although he does have some questionable decisions every now and then) but in previous years his 'harsh' coaching methods have always seemed to motivate his players but it seems that with this group, it doesn't matter what he says, they simply just look like they lack motivation. The only person I saw in last nights game that had any real motivation or energy throughout the game was Nika, the rest of them looked defeated before the game had even finished.

Reaction Score
OMG!!! I am amazed how quickly SPOILED UCONN FANS have come out with daggers after ONE LOSS. WE have a group of talented YOUNG women and the GREATEST BB Coach EVER and you bail on them. Shame on the spoiled fans who I will assure you have a LOT less knowledge about the game than both our women and GENO.
I'm not 'bailing' on anyone. I'm just expressing my concern. Nobody can deny that in parts of the games this year (especially Georgia Tech) none of the players have looked like they have any motivation other than Paige and in some parts Nika. Aaliyah looks like she doesn't even want to be playing half of the time, Christyn looks disinterested the second things aren't going there way and everyone else just looks lacklustre. With previous years, Geno was able to motivate his team even in bad scenarios but with these players they just don't seem to react to him in the same way others have.

Reaction Score
I think there is some truth to this, but it doesn't explain GA Tech. Geno has been forthright about how it's harder to coach today's players. Yet, most of his recruits say they choose UConn because he'll push them to be their best. I love Nika Muhl's attitude, but I'm not sure all the players on the team match her intensity or effort. I also think Azzi would have made a big difference. If UConn hit a few consecutive threes, it may have turned the team and game around, especially at the start of the 4th Q.
For sure, Paige always has a good attitude and Nika has definitely showed glimpses but when I was watching the GA Tech game I realised how good Nika's attitude actually was. Even when they were down by 10 with 30 seconds to go and UCONN were turning the ball over, she was still shouting and motivating the players to get back on defence. I definitely think Geno does want to push players to be the best they can be but I just don't think the majority of this group of players are reacting well to his particular coaching style.

Reaction Score
I don't know about all of this. Would General Patton be the great General today that he was then. No. Not in this day and age and the politics wrapped around that. But, he was a great General. After the war, peace killed him.

So what is it with UConn. Geno. Don't think so. I think that this team wants to succeed so bad that it has paralyze itself. The team has lost it's mind and Geno and the staff need to re-assemble and re-group in order to deal with this.

This team is filled with 2 superstars and a wealth of above average star players. They need to shake off this game and start playing the game for fun and having a good time like they did before UConn. The mystique of UConn has gotten in their blood to harden their arteries and has prevented them from performing the way they should. They need confidence and they need to be tough. Geno needs to be tough and encouraging.

Too bad Brianna, Sue and Diana could'nt come back and help practice with these kids.
Nah it's the kids. Geno will say in public that "he's got to find a way" or something something, but Geno's methods seemed to work fine on recent grads KLS, Napheesa, Crystal, and even Kyla, the last group of recruits that seemed to get it no matter their talent level. Geno's methods still work, but you need a specific type of person, and I think that has always been the case.
Geno's methods have worked perfectly before, with all of his previous classes the majority of players have reacted really well to his coaching styles which is why I think there were no 'red flags' raised. The problem now is I think that rather than the majority reacting well to his coaching and just a few players not reacting so well, its switched to the majority not reacting well and only a couple of players really developing due to his coaching. Even in games that they have won, most of the players seemed disinterested most of the time.

Reaction Score
Wow you just proved how much you don’t know about coaching.
Would you like to elaborate?

I am not referring to his basketball coaching ability I'm referring to the mental aspect of it. You can not tell me you have genuinely thought that all of the players have seemed motivated throughout the games this year. The only people that have shown genuine motivation on a consistent basis are Nika and Paige. Christyn isn't interested until she's hitting shots, Aaliyah looks like she doesn't even want to be on the court, Liv is consistently taking the same shots that she keeps missing. The freshman have shown some motivation when they've been on the court but not nearly enough needed to have a real impact.

Of course I am aware that they are missing key players, but I would've thought that Geno would be able to get a bit of effort out of the girls but clearly whatever he's doing to motivate them isn't working because most of the time they don't even look like they want to be on the court.

Reaction Score
At times, to me it looks like the offense is too scripted and when the script doesn't produce the expected result, everyone looks lost. Is that on the coach or on the players?

In all the games so far this season, there have been numerous forced passes to players that weren't open leading to turnovers.

Sometimes you just have to let players play.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Would you like to elaborate?

I am not referring to his basketball coaching ability I'm referring to the mental aspect of it. You can not tell me you have genuinely thought that all of the players have seemed motivated throughout the games this year. The only people that have shown genuine motivation on a consistent basis are Nika and Paige. Christyn isn't interested until she's hitting shots, Aaliyah looks like she doesn't even want to be on the court, Liv is consistently taking the same shots that she keeps missing. The freshman have shown some motivation when they've been on the court but not nearly enough needed to have a real impact.

Of course I am aware that they are missing key players, but I would've thought that Geno would be able to get a bit of effort out of the girls but clearly whatever he's doing to motivate them isn't working because most of the time they don't even look like they want to be on the court.
'Of course I am aware that they are missing key players,'
are u? sure don't seem like it.

Reaction Score
Ah yes, the man who coached a roster with 6 freshmen to a Final Four last year is suddenly outdated. I think you're forgetting that just about every UConn team for the past decade has gotten better throughout the course of the season. Remember how bad the defense was early in the year last season?

Does this team currently have a lot of flaws? Yes. Will they be a lot better come March? Yes. To suggest Geno's coaching is no longer effective after one game is laughable.
I don't think his basketball coaching ability is the problem, I just don't think he can seems to motivate them the way he has with previous years. The only players that I have seen consistently motivated and trying to motivate the team so far are Nika and Paige. 2 kids on your team being motivated (bearing in mind neither of them are playing right now) isn't going to help you win games.

Reaction Score
I think in respect to Geno it is a combination of factors. Geno is a systems coach who's system used to produce very good professional players. That reputation worked to get players who had professional aspirations to buy into his system. A few thngs have changed since then. Players come to college with very little developmental upside left. They have spent most of their years since middle school working year round with individual trainers and playing on both HIgh School and AAU teams. Many are close aready to burn out and are not that enthused about being in high pressure program like Geno runs. They also see the recent WNBA success rate of non UConn players increasing. Stewart is the last really high impact WNBA player who came out of UConn.

There is also the "chicken and the egg" question surrounding the UConn system. How much of the UConn players success is because of the program and how much is it because the program started with the cream of the recruiting crop?

What made the UConn system effective was because the players bought into it 100%. They had a desire to get better and if they trusted the program it would happen. Stevens was an example of the new type of player coming out of High School. This really surprised Geno. He expected her to give the program one more year to develop her post skill set. I think her leaving was a long term mistake on her part, but she was satisfied with her level. I think their are more and more players coming out of high school with that attitude.

The do not see a reason to submit to a challenging program like UConn and instead choose other programs. The level of individual development players used to get in college programs they already have. Basically, exept for post players most have little upside left. What they learn in college is not " How" but "When". Ironically that is what players used to learn in high school, but now they have individual skills but can not integrate them in to a team concept, so that is what college coaches try to focus on.

It has been AAU programs that have created that problem. They are basiclly pickup teams of talented players that do not get enough time together to practice team concepts. Unfortunately AAU has replaced high school teams as the new model for players. It makes things harder for college coaches that want to teach team concepts. And the team concept is the the foundation for the UConn system. The new products of AAU ball do not really buy into the concept.
Very astute observations of contemporary athletes and the change agency that has occurred, principally with AAU programs...

Reaction Score
I think in respect to Geno it is a combination of factors. Geno is a systems coach who's system used to produce very good professional players. That reputation worked to get players who had professional aspirations to buy into his system. A few thngs have changed since then. Players come to college with very little developmental upside left. They have spent most of their years since middle school working year round with individual trainers and playing on both HIgh School and AAU teams. Many are close aready to burn out and are not that enthused about being in high pressure program like Geno runs. They also see the recent WNBA success rate of non UConn players increasing. Stewart is the last really high impact WNBA player who came out of UConn.

There is also the "chicken and the egg" question surrounding the UConn system. How much of the UConn players success is because of the program and how much is it because the program started with the cream of the recruiting crop?

What made the UConn system effective was because the players bought into it 100%. They had a desire to get better and if they trusted the program it would happen. Stevens was an example of the new type of player coming out of High School. This really surprised Geno. He expected her to give the program one more year to develop her post skill set. I think her leaving was a long term mistake on her part, but she was satisfied with her level. I think their are more and more players coming out of high school with that attitude.

The do not see a reason to submit to a challenging program like UConn and instead choose other programs. The level of individual development players used to get in college programs they already have. Basically, exept for post players most have little upside left. What they learn in college is not " How" but "When". Ironically that is what players used to learn in high school, but now they have individual skills but can not integrate them in to a team concept, so that is what college coaches try to focus on.

It has been AAU programs that have created that problem. They are basiclly pickup teams of talented players that do not get enough time together to practice team concepts. Unfortunately AAU has replaced high school teams as the new model for players. It makes things harder for college coaches that want to teach team concepts. And the team concept is the the foundation for the UConn system. The new products of AAU ball do not really buy into the concept.
witness the stupid “recruiting “ threads posted elsewhere on this board. Video compilations of 7th graders who dominate in games against greatly inferior kids. Who are the adults that have time to produce them. And who are these services that assign ratings to them.

Reaction Score
OK, let's get to the real heart of the problem. The team has looked awful since Morgan Valley was hired..........seems to fit with all the criticism based on conjecture.

I have no inside information, but CD is still on the bench, so it doesn't seem likely that there is great angst among the players about Geno's coaching style that isn't being addressed by CD, and she has proven very effective for 35 years.

There has been only one comment in the two or three threads I've looked at that mentions NIL. It may be a reach to blame NIL's influence, but think about it.

The players reportedly think the best of Paige, are supportive of her deals (and Fudd's) but, psychologically, in the backs of their minds, when the publicity surrounding these deals gets added to Geno saying we can only be good when Paige is on the floor, could that have a material effect on attitudes and motivation?

Could the subconscious minds be thinking: I was also a HS player of the year; I was also lead guard on a nationally known program; I was on a National Team, etc. so let Paige get it done?

It is difficult to understand how CW went from HS player of the year to an inconsistent senior, how EW hasn't taken charge right away when Paige went out (but give her a couple games please) and why others aren't playing much (NM until recently, but maybe there was an injury issue), but the biggest surprise is AE. How could she have regressed so markedly since last year?

Reaction Score
I am aware of all of these things, I'm just saying that if you look at previous years, Geno's coaching style got a positive reaction out of the majority (if not all of the players) but this year especially and in glimpses last year, the only person who seems to react positively to his 'harsh' coaching methods is Paige. So when she's not on the court and they're in a slump, if he is harsh on them and coaches the way he is known for coaching, he's not going to get a positive reaction.
Most, not all, of his players come here for exactly that style of coaching. Some leave, but most that stay want to be better, and work hard at it. Sometimes you hit situations where they’ll play no matter how they’re doing. That’s when Geno is at a loss. Unfortunately, there are a couple now that are in that position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
witness the stupid “recruiting “ threads posted elsewhere on this board. Video compilations of 7th graders who dominate in games against greatly inferior kids. Who are the adults that have time to produce them. And who are these services that assign ratings to them.
The recruiting threads are not stupid and like every other thread on this board it is voluntary. There is a very good reason why I and others participate and that is this: We get to enjoy these young ladies longer and earlier than those that do not participate. For example participants in that thread discovered Paige as an 8th grader when she was playing on the HS varsity which was 5 years before she set foot on the UCONN campus.

Reaction Score
I'm in the camp of those who don't like this offense for this team. I was saying it last year as well. Last year's Baylor men's team ran a 3-2 offense with their two bigs starting on the low blocks and coming up for a high post pick. When that happens the other big clears so that the lane is clear. I like clear outs and one on ones for CW and Evina and Liv and Dorka receiving the ball on the low block. When Liv and AE wind up with the ball on the high post it is confusion, bewilderment and poor outside shots with zero chance of an offensive board.

I also do not see AE starting now and I didn't see her starting in the beginning of the season. She has actually regressed. I hope he plays more players regularly, gives players rests, and is mindful of durability issues.

Finally, I think this team is very tired and exhausted looking. That's why you need regular substitutions so that when you get into the fourth quarter there is some gas in the tank. 8 points in the fourth quarter total in the two games they lost tells it all. I also think these kids are playing all year round in leagues and something has to give. I think there may be a correlation there with the injuries.

Reaction Score
Damn this is a great article and right on cue. You broke it down to a tee !

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I don’t think my eyes could roll any further and then I read this thread… I suspect people have no idea just how difficult it is to plug and play a player of Bueckers’ caliber into the line-up and expect things to run normally. Give the Huskies a week or two and sure, fine… but a few days after? C’mon… give me a break. You are telling me you want your team running on all cylinders after their top player is out on an injury? Talk about severe expectations.

Does it happen, where a pivotal player is injured and the team responds? Of course… but it’s the exception, not the norm. This responds me of when Stanford lost to Harvard back in 1998 after losing Nygaard and Folkl within days of the NCAA. You just don’t create that team cohesion in a few days.

Give the Huskies two weeks to a month to adjust and then let’s see how they play. Until then… just stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom