Are Geno's coaching methods outdated? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Are Geno's coaching methods outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No... we were certainly not expecting the team to continue to run on all cylinders after Paige was hurt-that would be silly. Our expectation was that this team had enough remaining cylinders on which to run sufficient enough to beat GT. Those were not "severe expectations" they were very realistic of OUR team. Please stay in you own lane and mange your cylinders/expectations.
Saki has been here at least a decade longer than you. He’s always welcome to offer an opinion as there’s a history of objective, considered thought behind every post.

Reaction Score
Again, I'm not complaining about nobody filling Paige's shoes, I'm saying this whole season they have looked like they have no motivation (even with Paige on the court) and that is a problem. Literally if you look at any player at any point in the games this year (other than Paige and Nika) they always look disinterested. Aaliyah looks like she doesn't want to be playing, Liv is taking shots for the sake of it and has no effort to recover when she inevitably misses and Christyn only shows any interest when she's putting up shots.
Just how can you come up with your diagnosis of each players mind? This on looks like this, that one looks like that. If you have watched or played or coached, you would have seen even the greatest D 1 for eleven against ND, so no how great a player is, they will hit a slump, not for not caring buy just being human. We all have a right to our opinion but guessing what these kids are thinking is not.

Reaction Score
I think these posts about players not caring or being motivated are about as ridiculous as anything I've read here. Uncertainty can often have the effect or give the appearance of being unmotivated. This is still a young team overall and they are finding their way, now without their undisputed leader for the next couple of months. I have all the confidence in the world in Geno and staff, they will bring this team along. And it would not shock me if down the road, assuming that Paige comes back strong, we will look back at her injury as a blessing in disguise, if it forces the rest of the team to step up and own their roles. Paige could come back to a deeper team far more ready to complement her.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
This is something I have thought about for quite a while now. One of the main things that Geno and former players have admitted is that his coaching strategies (being hard on players to get the best out of them) is one of the things that has made UCONN alum so successful when going pro. However over time, the way that players have been raised when they're younger is different, players are a lot 'softer' now and most people can't handle that kind of coaching method.

Simon Sinek did a great talk about it that you can find on YouTube if you search 'Simon Sinek millennials' (it's about 15-16 minutes long), now although that talk was about CEO's of companies not knowing how to treat young employees, I feel the message is very similar. The way that this generation has been raised is very different to previous generations, so throwing them into a completely new environment with a coach that is hard on them just is not going to work for most kids. Although Geno has proved himself to be one of best coaches to ever coach women's basketball, I can't help but feel like over time, the way that kids need to be coached has evolved but Geno's coaching style has not.
I really think some of the Uconn fans have "evolved". Win a national championship every year, never lose a game, win by 30 points, or the coach is doing a lousy job.

Reaction Score
He makes millions of dollars a year doing what he does... how much do you make? Let him worry about coaching and you keep hiding behind your screen name. I am sure you would not have the nerve to make a comment like this if people actually knew who you were.

Remember Geno has 11 titles... the most anyone else has in the women's game is 8... then 3...
Remember Geno has the 2nd most wins only behind Tara.
Remember there are over 300 teams who would kill to have season records like UCONN has.
To clarify...what does how much money I earn have to do with anything? Also as a 19 year old with her own business that is successful enough for me to have my own home as well as buy my mother a home and my sister a brand new car I'm pretty sure I'm doing just fine. And my screen name wouldn't be just a screen name however when I was making my account it said using real names wasn't allowed...hence me using the name I do. I would indeed 'have the nerve' to make a comment like this if people knew who I was, everything I post on here I post on my twitter (where people do in fact know who I am).

Reaction Score
This is something I have thought about for quite a while now. One of the main things that Geno and former players have admitted is that his coaching strategies (being hard on players to get the best out of them) is one of the things that has made UCONN alum so successful when going pro. However over time, the way that players have been raised when they're younger is different, players are a lot 'softer' now and most people can't handle that kind of coaching method.

Simon Sinek did a great talk about it that you can find on YouTube if you search 'Simon Sinek millennials' (it's about 15-16 minutes long), now although that talk was about CEO's of companies not knowing how to treat young employees, I feel the message is very similar. The way that this generation has been raised is very different to previous generations, so throwing them into a completely new environment with a coach that is hard on them just is not going to work for most kids. Although Geno has proved himself to be one of best coaches to ever coach women's basketball, I can't help but feel like over time, the way that kids need to be coached has evolved but Geno's coaching style has not.
Of course some of his procedures and methods are, to some, Old School. Most coaching methods are good generation to generation. Motivation techniques change more so in today;s world. The truth is youth today and for the time since WW2 have change drastically. Kids went from kids being expected to do physical labor to it being all but illegal. When you work for pay at an early age you learn to follow directions.
I think Geno has talked about this issue of repeating. Attention span.
The kids today are more talented. more schooling, get higher praise in HS and AAU. They are physically larger, in general. All of which should make terrific teams.
Geno has changed. His acceptance level has risen. No transfers, no freshmen starting, No playing U Tenn, Kids like Stewie and Paige, others, have loosened him up. He still hates to lose.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Here's a different twist...
I don't think he looks well
He appears (very subjective) to be uninvolved even passive at times.
At the presser, his expression doesn't change much...sort of grim.

I'm far from being a Dr. and even if I was, would have to have examined him closely before diagnosis.
But this isn't the Geno of past seasons.
physical, emotional, psychological?
Me being completely off-track?

No idea.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Here's a different twist...
I don't think he looks well
He appears (very subjective) to be uninvolved even passive at times.
At the presser, his expression doesn't change much...sort of grim.

I'm far from being a Dr. and even if I was, would have to have examined him closely before diagnosis.
But this isn't the Geno of past seasons.
physical, emotional, psychological?
Me being completely off-track?

No idea.
I thought the same watching the game and the presser.

Reaction Score
You folks realize that UConn could lose it's next 37 games and Geno would still have the highest winning percentage in WCBB DI history, right?

Reaction Score
Yes but what has he done for ME today??

Anyone that has been involved in Geno’s line of work know that you are only as good as your last game, no matter your career record or accomplishments. To me the best way I’ve heard it expressed is the quote that I have kept posted above my desk for many, many moons.
”Success is never owned, only rented, and the rent is due every day”

Reaction Score
Anyone that has been involved in Geno’s line of work know that you are only as good as your last game, no matter your career record or accomplishments. To me the best way I’ve heard it expressed is the quote that I have kept posted above my desk for many, many moons.
What have YOU done for ME today?? Nice quote.

Reaction Score

So, no credit for the 1120+ wins? By that way of thinking, he should have been fired the day UConn's 111 game winning streak was broken.

Reaction Score
To clarify...what does how much money I earn have to do with anything? Also as a 19 year old with her own business that is successful enough for me to have my own home as well as buy my mother a home and my sister a brand new car I'm pretty sure I'm doing just fine. And my screen name wouldn't be just a screen name however when I was making my account it said using real names wasn't allowed...hence me using the name I do. I would indeed 'have the nerve' to make a comment like this if people knew who I was, everything I post on here I post on my twitter (where people do in fact know who I am).
Give me a heads up when I'm supposed to be thoroughly impressed.

Reaction Score
So, no credit for the 1120+ wins? By that way of thinking, he should have been fired the day UConn's 111 game winning streak was broken.
Geno holds a unique position in sport. He, along with Pat Summitt put Women's basketball at a level that in some Colleges competed will with men. Geno, was at the right place at the right time, with a personality that created the top winning team in that sport. What Geno did at Uconn could have been done by another Woman or man

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why are UConn fans sniping at each other lately? I wish it would stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads