Anyone see the 30 For 30 show last night about the '70s NY Knicks? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone see the 30 For 30 show last night about the '70s NY Knicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice post.

Wonder how the Spurs or Heat would do against the '60s Celtics, '70s Knicks and Lakers if there were a time machine?

My money would be on the old teams.
If they had to play by the old rules I go with the old teams as well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As good as last night's show was it didn't have the conflict needed for great drama. The director tried, detailing Cazzie Russell and Willis Reed's dustup. But this was a minor argument. An even better 30 for 30 was the Bad Boys of Detroit. That was a classic.
the BIG EAST episode was classic

Reaction Score
There was only one game a week (Sunday) if you weren't living in a city that had a team. I had to read about the stars and teams from magazines I got from a used book store..

I lived in Manhattan and I'm pretty sure the championship game was broadcast on tape delay. I seem to remember listening to the game on the radio while playing street ball under a lamp post. Then we went home to watch it on TV. I don't think a lot of Knick games were on TV locally and even if there were my family had one TV and four of my sisters living at home with me and I wasn't going to win that battle too much anyway. :)

Reaction Score
If they had to play by the old rules I go with the old teams as well.

I really don't think younger people can relate to how good the players were from that era. Nothing like today when there are a few elite players and the rest seem to be "just there". Filling in the teams so the Heat or Spurs can win the title.

That one period in the late '60s/early'70s had Wilt, West, Jabbar(Alcindor), Baylor, Elvin Hayes, the Knicks etc, etc,...

Yeah, the rules today favor a less physical game than in those days.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I lived in Manhattan and I'm pretty sure the championship game was broadcast on tape delay. I seem to remember listening to the game on the radio while playing street ball under a lamp post. Then we went home to watch it on TV. I don't think a lot of Knick games were on TV locally and even if there were my family had one TV and four of my sisters living at home with me and I wasn't going to win that battle too much anyway. :)

I think you're right
I was invited to dinner that eve at the home of a most winning lassie
But I couldn't keep my mind on anything but Marv Albert's call on the radio.
Blew it completely with her with.
But as she lived in Chelsea; 28th St if iI recall
We walked over to the garden to take in the post-game celebration outside.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If they were playing at the level of athleticism and skill that they did in the 60s/70s, the old teams would get crushed. It's the same in pretty much every team sport.

You are measuring the older guys defensive and offensive prowess against athletes who were not nearly as developed as they are today. Lebron would put up 75 a game against those guys.
well said... Shaq in his prime would crush all those big men, Jordan... Magic would have a field day! Kareem is with the new dudes, he would skyhook them to death and let's not forget about Larry Legend.

Reaction Score
well said... Shaq in his prime would crush all those big men, Jordan... Magic would have a field day! Kareem is with the new dudes, he would skyhook them to death and let's not forget about Larry Legend.
Disagree about who is with the "new dudes" because I include anyone who wore short shorts to be an old dude. Not sure what you mean by crush, and how Shaq would do that to Wilt, Russell, Dawkins, Malone or Jabbar. Maybe Walton or Reed when they were hurt. I think Shaq was a great center but he didn't have the mobility other centers had.

There were different rules back then about dunking and dribbling that the new dudes would have to follow. Like no carrying the ball, hanging on the rim was a T. Physical play was allowed but you did it at your own peril. Pushing people like Dawkins, Malone, Reed and Chamberlain around came with consequences.

I would love to see a game between old and new but with the old time rules with the addition of the three point line.

Reaction Score
Disagree about who is with the "new dudes" because I include anyone who wore short shorts to be an old dude. Not sure what you mean by crush, and how Shaq would do that to Wilt, Russell, Dawkins, Malone or Jabbar. Maybe Walton or Reed when they were hurt. I think Shaq was a great center but he didn't have the mobility other centers had.

There were different rules back then about dunking and dribbling that the new dudes would have to follow. Like no carrying the ball, hanging on the rim was a T. Physical play was allowed but you did it at your own peril. Pushing people like Dawkins, Malone, Reed and Chamberlain around came with consequences.

I would love to see a game between old and new but with the old time rules with the addition of the three point line.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
just saw the Knicks 30 for 30... good stuff. Frazier, Phil Jackson, Reed

Jerry Lucas memory is/was off the chain geesh

"Clyde" as in Bonnie and... due the the hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors