Anyone see the 30 For 30 show last night about the '70s NY Knicks? | The Boneyard

Anyone see the 30 For 30 show last night about the '70s NY Knicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pretty awesome episode about their championship years and how they got there. If they replay it you should try to watch it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Is this an OT thread? I am in NY, buuuuuuuut...

Reaction Score
STRIIP: would second that emotion. The show was extremely well done. If anybody gets any news on a replay, I'd like to tape it...a classic.

arch

Reaction Score
Pretty awesome episode about their championship years and how they got there. If they replay it you should try to watch it.
1:30 Saturday.

Reaction Score
Kind of sad that Dean "The Dream" Meminger passed away. I didn't know that.

What a fantastic couple of teams those were. One of my favorite players was Earl Monroe when he played with the Bullets. I couldn't believe it when he went to the Knicks but I was glad he got a championship.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

It was almost as good as the 30 for 30 episode on the 4 days in October 2004 when the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the NY Yankees.

Reaction Score
The 30 for 30 series has for the most part been very good. The only one I truly didn't like was the one made about athletes & their financial troubles. Not because I don't like the topic, I just thought the film makers could have done a better job.

Reaction Score
I was old enough to have watched those games when they happened (as I think some of you did).

Wonder what the younger people think about them?

Reaction Score
I was old enough to have watched those games when they happened (as I think some of you did).

Wonder what the younger people think about them?

The game is certainly a lot different today isn't it? When I was growing up my dad was a huge basketball fan so we'd end up watching the NBA whenever it was on TV. Compared to today players were much slower and not nearly as athletic/powerful in motion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How good was the 1973 team?

Center: Willis Reed, HOF
Power forward: Dave DeBusschere, HOF
Small forward: Bill Bradley, HOF
Shooting guard: Earl Monroe, HOF
Point guard: Walt Frazier, HOF

Coach: Red Holzman, HOF

Reserve: Jerry Lucas, HOF
Reserve: Phil Jackson, HOF as coach

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He was on the Tonight Show, possibly several times. He had memorized the Manhattan phone book. I'm not sure that he was a lunatic, but he had extraordinary mental abilities.

If you memorize the phone book, then you are a lunatic in MY book!

Reaction Score
Willis Reed was a regular in my town because I went to school with his niece and we were friends. I thought nothing of it. It's funny what kids get and don't get.

Reaction Score
As good as last night's show was it didn't have the conflict needed for great drama. The director tried, detailing Cazzie Russell and Willis Reed's dustup. But this was a minor argument. An even better 30 for 30 was the Bad Boys of Detroit. That was a classic.

Reaction Score
The Knicks episode was better for me because it went farther back and explained some of the history of the NBA itself.

There was only one game a week (Sunday) if you weren't living in a city that had a team. I had to read about the stars and teams from magazines I got from a used book store.

I watched the show again last night.

Reaction Score
The game is certainly a lot different today isn't it? When I was growing up my dad was a huge basketball fan so we'd end up watching the NBA whenever it was on TV. Compared to today players were much slower and not nearly as athletic/powerful in motion.
Nice post.

Wonder how the Spurs or Heat would do against the '60s Celtics, '70s Knicks and Lakers if there were a time machine?

My money would be on the old teams.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Wilt and Jerry West's Lakers against the Spurs? No contest.

Russel's Celts against Lebron? Lebron wouldn't dare go inside.

yeah you are right...right after smoking a pack of cigarettes and having a pancake dinner...they'd beat those athletes!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wilt and Jerry West's Lakers against the Spurs? No contest.

Russel's Celts against Lebron? Lebron wouldn't dare go inside.

If they were playing at the level of athleticism and skill that they did in the 60s/70s, the old teams would get crushed. It's the same in pretty much every team sport.

You are measuring the older guys defensive and offensive prowess against athletes who were not nearly as developed as they are today. Lebron would put up 75 a game against those guys.

Reaction Score
yeah you are right...right after smoking a pack of cigarettes and having a pancake dinner...they'd beat those athletes!
The newer teams might as well smoke a pack of cig and eat breakfast cause there's no way they could beat those teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom